• Please be aware we've switched the forums to their own URL. (again) You'll find the new website address to be www.steelernationforum.com Thanks
  • Please clear your private messages. Your inbox is close to being full.

2014 Pirates thread

Can't see the Price trade happening. They will want to rape our farm system in exchange.

Price went to detroit....3 cy young winners on staff now yikes

I'd be ok with Price as long as the price tag isn't too hefty. If we plan on signing Polanco long term we should have outfield depth for them in the minors to look at. (I wouldn't trade Bell tho)

Sounds like they were trying to send Bell in the deal and the Rays liked something better from the Tigers.

This past season of reports and rumors put me over the edge in caring or believing anything that is put out there. Only got mildly excited about the prospect of David Price being a Bucco for the next season and a half. Oh well.

I'm just hoping the rationale was keeping some money in the bank, not absorbing contracts so they can resign Martin and Walker.

a fair to middling bullpen arm to replace Frieri mighta been nice, though.

I'm a tad disappointed no deals were made, but we don't know the real scoop of what Huntington offered and the teams wanted in return. We have seen many times over, of where a GM made a deal just to make a deal and it backfired.
There is still one more trade deadline where something could happen. We'll see. . .

I really hope the jays GM after the waiver perioid gets Cliff Lee and vet Righty reliever

Sounds like they were trying to send Bell in the deal and the Rays liked something better from the Tigers.

Sounds like the trade hinged on Nick Franklin who is a good infield prospect from what I can tell. He seems a little more ready than Bell. Also, IF might be a bigger need than OF for the Rays. They also got a LH starter who will likely be a starter for them and if he can get his arm strength up could be a pretty good pitcher. They also got an 18 year old who has a lot of potential but is probably 3-5 years away from ever hearing his name again.

I guess what it boils down to is they gave up one starter and might get two back with Franklin and Drew Smyly.

neither Morel nor Martinez are hitting Martinez's weight.

that's no way to win a pennant.

neither Morel nor Martinez are hitting Martinez's weight.

that's no way to win a pennant.

Sad thing is they wouldn't even be playing if Pedro was worth a **** right now. I didn't stay up for the end of the game last night but it looks like Pedro had a pinch hit double and knocked in a run. That's good sign because they need him to be contributing if they want to go anywhere. That and getting Marte back hopefully in a couple days should ensure no more Morel and Martinez. The thing that worries me honestly is Gerrit Cole was scratched from his final rehab start at AAA last night. I am hoping like hell he didn't have a set back in his recovery. Vance Worley has been a life saver while he has been out though. I sure hope he can keep it up.

Cole is just being placed in sync with a particular start date, nothing really to prove in a rehab start.

Pedro, man what a liability he's become. Well at least we have our DH for any AL road games and a pinch hitter off the bench. Lets hope we end up needing that DH for some WS games.

The trade deadline came and went Thursday, and the Pirates have the same team they had last week. Surprised? I'm not. Neil Hunnington was deeply involved in getting Jon Lester and David Price, but in the end, neither worked out. This seems to be a trend. Last year, the Pirates were involved in getting Giancarlo Stanton, but once again, that didn't happen. With a farm team that was ranked #1 by Baseball America this spring, eventually the Pirates have to use some of those prospects to think about the current team. But NH seems very hesitant to get rid of top prospects that will hopefully pan out. I can even understand that.

To get Jon Lester, the Red Sox would have clearly wanted Josh Bell in return. I'm so thankful that Neil Hunnington didn't pull the trigger on this one. If everything went well, Jon Lester would have started 12 regular season games this season. If the Pirates were to win 9 of those games, then we would have traded away Josh Bell, a prospect with tremendous power, for 9 wins. Jon Lester would not be under control following this season, and without a doubt, he would have bolted town as soon as he could. It would have been a horrible deal.

I know that NH and the Pirates were in extensive talks with the Rays as well about David Price. I don't know the price tag that the Rays were asking, but David Price was the way better option between the two. I heard Starling Marte come up a few times in discussion about Price. I'm not quite sure how I feel about that. David Price however, would be under the Pirates control NEXT year as well, which quite a big deal. But still, I can see Neil Hunnington not pulling the trigger.

What I ABSOLUTELY cannot begin to understand is how the deadline came and went without adding a bullpen arm. Tony Watson and Justin Wilson have been falling off. Jeanmar Gomez and Stolmy Pimentel have been even worse. I don't even want to talk about Ernesto Frieri because it may cause me to have an aneurism. And we have to trust that Mark Melancon doesn't have another bad end to the season. If that's all we have in the bullpen, I'm scared. Red Sox reliever Andrew Miller, possibly the best reliever in baseball, went to Baltimore for their #3 prospect overall. The Pirates could have done that, and the Red Sox wouldn't have had to put him within their own division.

Yes, the Pirates prospects look great, but eventually you have to realize that they are PROSPECTS. I can understand protecting Josh Bell and Tyler Glasnow. Those guys seem like they will be the real deal. But when Andrew Miller is on the table for #3, eventually NH has to not worry so much about what will happen to that prospect 5 years from now. So what if he turns out to be a superstar, that's just part of it.

We need more hitters, but we can survive. Bucco bats just find a way to win on any given night. It sure would have been nice to improve the bench though. If Michael Martinez is on the roster, I have no confidence in the bench. Marte coming back soon will have impact though. So starters I can see, hitters I can see, but the bullpen needed to be significantly better Thursday night than it was Thursday morning, and Neil Hunnington dropped the ball.

note: Before anyone says anything about Bob Nutting, he approved NH to spend around $90 Million. The money was there. The initiative wasn't

I know most Pirate fans are all about, "Win the big one this year at all costs and get Player X, no matter what you have to give up!" But mathematically giving up your very top prospects who are like a year away from being on the Major League Roster and whom you control for the next 6 years, for a 2 month rental player that will be gone the second the season ends is just bad business. No way I would do it. It in no way guarantees a WS and even if you do win it, you've definitely made your team a lot worse for the next 6 years when you actually have a team that is ready to contend every year as is and will likely improve with the addition of said prospect next year . Doesn't add up to me and never will.

I've never been a "put all your eggs in one basket" kind of person, especially when the team has the horses to be in contention for the near future at least. I am definitely in favor of giving up Mid level prospects for a Marlon Byrd type trades, like last year. Which that trade happened in August along with Morneau so I think they will look to do the same this year after the price tags have come down out of the Stratosphere a bit. A good move IMO.

Last edited:
I know most Pirate fans are all about, "Win the big one this year at all costs and get Player X, no matter what you have to give up!" But mathematically giving up your very top prospects who are like a year away from being on the Major League Roster and whom you control for the next 6 years, for a 2 month rental player that will be gone the second the season ends is just bad business. No way I would do it. It in no way guarantees a WS and even if you do win it, you've definitely made your team a lot worse for the next 6 years when you actually have a team that is ready to contend every year as is and will likely improve with the addition of said prospect next year . Doesn't add up to me and never will.

I've never been a "put all your eggs in one basket" kind of person, especially when the team has the horses to be in contention for the near future at least. I am definitely in favor of giving up Mid level prospects for a Marlon Byrd type trades, like last year. Which that trade happened in August along with Morneau so I think they will look to do the same this year after the price tags have come down out of the Stratosphere a bit. A good move IMO.

Giving up prospects for a rental is the worst thing to do. I agree. But not adding to the bullpen is crazy. With the best farm team in baseball, we are almost too stacked in the minors. Sometimes the point of prospects is for trades. I'll be mad about Andrew Miller for a while.

Giving up prospects for a rental is the worst thing to do. I agree. But not adding to the bullpen is crazy. With the best farm team in baseball, we are almost too stacked in the minors. Sometimes the point of prospects is for trades. I'll be mad about Andrew Miller for a while.

Sit tight for a week or two. There will be a couple moves coming.

Harrison's story is just incredible. Where is this team without him this year? Alvarez's story is almost as incredible...another throwing error.

Alverez is digressing. I don't recall seeing a player that went from All-Star to shouldn't even be on the field in such a short amount if time.

Cutch is pissed getting hit in the middle of the back with a 95 mph fastball. He seems really focused and angry. Can't blame him. Bush moved by the Snakes.

He would need about 10 throws to hit the guy.

lmao, Karma my friend.

2 great finishes to games in a row, these guys are starting to feel it. Hope we finish the series today with another *** pounding of the Dbags. Then we have 3 game sets vs. the Marlins and Padres. We are only 1.5 back. I would love to be in first by next weekend.

Pedro is gonna be sitting for a while I think, possibly even sent downto the minors

I just read from the Trib that Pedro is out of options for the minors. Sit him, let him pinch-hit and give it some practice at 1st. That may be his only option to stay on the field. He may be worse than me at third. I could throw the ball in the dirt or into the stands.