• Please be aware we've switched the forums to their own URL. (again) You'll find the new website address to be www.steelernationforum.com Thanks
  • Please clear your private messages. Your inbox is close to being full.

2014 Pirates thread

Rumors that the Pirates are interested in bringing back Burnett and now Byrd.

Burnett got lit last time out. Seems he does this regularly after a game where he's got an elevated pitch count. Byrd - hell yes. Burnett eh, I'm sort of ready to tag out of the Bring Back Burnett Club. If we did bring him in, we surely would need to hold back his pitch count.

Rumor also that the "Back on Earth" Brewers are going after Lester.

What are the chances of Bill Madlock might be interested in coming out of retirement to play 3rd base for us.? Can't be any worse that what we've fielded there so far this season.

I like Byrd and Burnett, but if they are giving up young prospects to obtain them, I'd prefer younger guys that possibly will not walk after the year ends? It would be nice to re-sign the player so the guys you let go in the trade is not for a rental. There is enough holes to be filled on this team. Both Burnett and Byrd are in their mid-30s that certainly can contribute THIS year and maybe next year, if obtained. We know how frugal the FO is, so that will remain to be seen like last year when they walked.

I like Byrd and Burnett, but if they are giving up young prospects to obtain them, I'd prefer younger guys that possibly will not walk after the year ends? It would be nice to re-sign the player so the guys you let go in the trade is not for a rental. There is enough holes to be filled on this team. Both Burnett and Byrd are in their mid-30s that certainly can contribute THIS year and maybe next year, if obtained. We know how frugal the FO is, so that will remain to be seen like last year when they walked.

I'm never a fan of giving up 6 years of a top prospect for 3 months of a veteran. Thankfully neither is Huntington. He deals mid level prospects at most, which is fine by me. The Gregory Polanco, Gerrit Cole ( I know they aren't prospects anymore but they were last year), Jameson Tallion, Tyler Glasnow group should be in the untouchables list and stay there.

I'm never a fan of giving up 6 years of a top prospect for 3 months of a veteran. Thankfully neither is Huntington. He deals mid level prospects at most, which is fine by me. The Gregory Polanco, Gerrit Cole ( I know they aren't prospects anymore but they were last year), Jameson Tallion, Tyler Glasnow group should be in the untouchables list and stay there.

I agree on the untouchables. There are a few prospects that should get pretty nice return that will not likely be needed with the current outfield for many years to come. It kind of ticks me off about Morneau, though. We had him and he wasn't great, but was better than anyone we had and have, and they let him walk to Colorado. It's only one example, but it's a player should made the move to obtain and have locked up. Sanchez is a useless and Davis is so-so at best. Oh well, the next few days should be interesting who comes and goes.

The thing about Byrd and Burnett is the contracts they have mean they will likely be on the team next year at 37 and 38 years old. Byrd is having his best season HR wise and he did have a great BA with us last year and Burnett seems to be good as long as you keep his pitch count down (maybe closer in 2015?) but I would not give up a hot prospect for the two combined. If they are willing to take a second tier prospect maybe I listen to offers.

Please let them work a deal to bring Morneau back with them on this road trip.

I agree on the untouchables. There are a few prospects that should get pretty nice return that will not likely be needed with the current outfield for many years to come. It kind of ticks me off about Morneau, though. We had him and he wasn't great, but was better than anyone we had and have, and they let him walk to Colorado. It's only one example, but it's a player should made the move to obtain and have locked up. Sanchez is a useless and Davis is so-so at best. Oh well, the next few days should be interesting who comes and goes.

I was glad as hell to see Morneau leave Pittsburgh, he was garbage. His play didn't give any indication he would be any good this year, so I can't fault them for that one. I would have shipped him out too. He wasn't even a starter any more by the end of the season because he couldn't hit. I just looked it up and he was even worse than I remembered, 0 Home Runs and 3 RBI''s. He was a complete waste here.

Last edited:
I was glad as hell to see Morneau leave Pittsburgh, he was garbage. His play didn't give any indication he would be any good this year, so I can't fault them for that one. I would have shipped him out too. He wasn't even a starter any more by the end of the season because he couldn't hit. I just looked it up and he was even worse than I remembered, 0 Home Runs and 3 RBI''s. He was a complete waste here.

He wasn't that great in his short time here, but I think he needed time to get more comfortable. I still think he was/is better than what we have now.

Jays just need Cliff Lee or Price to get in to the playoffs for the 1st time since 93

A couple of interesting Tweets rom the Buccos

Pittsburgh Pirates ‏@Pirates 5h
RECAP: Liriano dazzles, striking out 11 through 7 innings pitched as #Pirates top Giants:

Pittsburgh Pirates ‏@Pirates 6h
Francisco Liriano is now 2-0 with a 0.95 ERA in 3 starts since the All Star break.

This is exactly why I believe you DO NOT give up on Alvarez......The guy can get hot and win a World Series for you.

Also........

Pittsburgh Pirates ‏@Pirates 6h
Your Bucs now have won 17 straight games in which they score in the first inning.

Man, Gregory Polanco has to be getting so frustrated. He hasn't had many hits in a good while, but almost every single at bat he has, he hits a ball hard somewhere, and there is a fielder standing right there for an easy catch. Those hits are going to come pretty soon but right now his luck has been hideous and almost everything is right at somebody.

1 out, runners on 2nd and 3rd, the Pirates walk into a double play.

I had not seen that before.

yeesh.

I have never seen that in all my life. A double play on a walk. For those who didn't see it, it was even worse than it sounds. I was going to try and explain it but I can't. Watch the replay because you'll never see anything like it again.

it took 2 really boneheaded baserunning gaffes to make that happen.

Byrd -- While I liked his numbers and play for us last year, he has a major cloud of steroids hanging over his head and I'd rather pass...

Burnett -- While I liked everything he did for us the past few years and maybe he would be revitalized with a return to Pittsburgh, I would pass because he seems to be on fumes at times recently...

Lester -- If the Red Sox want Bell and Glasnow for him like I saw in two separate rumors, PASS PASS PASS.

I like Miller over Bastardo if we go for Lefty bullpen help...

Lester and Gomes to Oakland, Cespedes to Boston.

glad the Bucs didn't send Josh Bell to Beantown for Lester. What the A's gave up is large for a rental pitcher.

There's speculation that David Price will be dealt today and the Pirates may be the team. Stay tuned.

glad the Bucs didn't send Josh Bell to Beantown for Lester. What the A's gave up is large for a rental pitcher.

They have went all in this year... The rumor is that they have a ton of outfield depth and were not fond of Cespedes or however you spell his name.

I'd be ok with Price as long as the price tag isn't too hefty. If we plan on signing Polanco long term we should have outfield depth for them in the minors to look at. (I wouldn't trade Bell tho)