• Please be aware we've switched the forums to their own URL. (again) You'll find the new website address to be www.steelernationforum.com Thanks
  • Please clear your private messages. Your inbox is close to being full.

2014 Pirates thread

I just read from the Trib that Pedro is out of options for the minors. Sit him, let him pinch-hit and give it some practice at 1st. That may be his only option to stay on the field. He may be worse than me at third. I could throw the ball in the dirt or into the stands.

I said it last week, I'd literally trust my 9 year old son to make a better throw from 3rd base right now. It might be a one or two hopper to first but at least it would be somewhat on target. Pedro can't even get it within a 10 foot radius of the bag.

suit him up SS! I'd give Huntington a call, at the very least. PA is horrid! His value is for crap right now and a new contract from the Pirates is close to zero.

I saw that the Pirates just signed Jayson Nix, a utility infielder and put him on the Major League roster. If I had to guess, I'd say he is taking Harrison's spot as the utility Infielder and Harrison is the new full time 3rd baseman. I might be wrong but it seems like that might be the case.

Last edited:
He'll fit right in with that .154 batting average.

He'll fit right in with that .154 batting average.

It's funny, I was just reading that he won the AAA batting title last year, but then he's also over 30 years old. Must just be one of those fringe guys that tears it up in AAA but never can make that last jump to the top level successfully.

Last edited:
His stat line said he played 18 games with Philly. .154 average. We already have Clint Barmes.

Of course the Pirates got ****** today to end the game. Hope cutch is okay, though. Losing him with how shallow our depth is would be a big blow.

so, an MLB umpire doesn't believe that raising one arm up on the slide and sliding into the path of the throw with his hand wide open and moving towards the throwing lane is altering his slide to interfere with the ball... gotcha... sounds about right...

I just read from the Trib that Pedro is out of options for the minors. Sit him, let him pinch-hit and give it some practice at 1st. That may be his only option to stay on the field. He may be worse than me at third. I could throw the ball in the dirt or into the stands.
I remember when they drafted Pedro I bet Todd that he wouldn't last three full seasons in a Pirate uniform. Looks like I might win that yet. Too bad Todd doesn't come around anymore. :p

so, an MLB umpire doesn't believe that raising one arm up on the slide and sliding into the path of the throw with his hand wide open and moving towards the throwing lane is altering his slide to interfere with the ball... gotcha... sounds about right...

And those ******** wouldn't even hang around for 5 seconds to review it, they scampered off the field like they were late to catch their flights. I was hoping Clint would have the whole team hang around on the field or about an hour refusing to leave until they came back.

I remember when they drafted Pedro I bet Todd that he wouldn't last three full seasons in a Pirate uniform. Looks like I might win that yet. Too bad Todd doesn't come around anymore. :p

Yeah, but I bet you would have wanted to back out of that bet if someone told you he was going to have a 30 HR season and a 35 HR, 100 RBI season within those first few years. Pedro's problems are 100% mental. You have to watch giving up on a guy like that when he has all the physical tools in the bag because that light bulb can come back on at any time. I'll take what he did last year any day, but he has to find a way to get it together mentally.

Last edited:
Yeah, but I bet you would have wanted to back out of that bet if someone told you he was going to have a 30 HR season and a 35 HR, 100 RBI season within those first few years. Pedro's problems are 100% mental. You have to watch giving up on a guy like that when he has all the physical tools in the bag because that light bulb can come back on at any time. I'll take what he did last year any day, but he has to find a way to get it together mentally.
Nah, that's a bet I'd have been happy to lose. I don't want my town's baseball team to suck. My take at the time was that Pedro would either 1) be a bust or 2) become really good and they'd trade him before they had to pay him.

Nah, that's a bet I'd have been happy to lose. I don't want my town's baseball team to suck. My take at the time was that Pedro would either 1) be a bust or 2) become really good and they'd trade him before they had to pay him.

Yeah but you guys used to say that about every Pirate. That they would be gone as soon as they got good. I'm glad that wasn't accurate or I would be pissed. Even though they overreached in signing a guy like Tabata to an extension and that blew up in their face a little bit. That's ok because the McCutchen extension was worth it. Hopefully the Marte extension is more like the McCutchen one as opposed to Tabata.:cool:

I kept harping on you guys that they would be in good shape when this wave of prospects got here if they stayed the course. There was too much talent being accumulated to go any other way. The ***** of it is that they would even be better if Tallion wouldn't have blown out his arm before the season started. They had planned on having him in the rotation by June. The good thing about stockpiling in the minors like they have is when they can't afford to keep certain guys who find a big payday elsewhere they should have somebody decent waiting in the wings. That's the hope anyway.

Last edited:
I will grudgingly admit that they have gotten better at developing their own players. Alvarez was drafted back when it looked as if they couldn't do anything right.

Word is that Cutch could be out for a month with a "fairly serious" strained oblique.

Word is that Cutch could be out for a month with a "fairly serious" strained oblique.

Uh oh. Yeah I saw that too, could be big trouble to the pennant chase.

Yeah Ron, the drafting of Alvarez was really the first tangible step that the culture might be changing under Huntington's watch. I started to get a little hopeful that things would turn around if they kept doing that. Regardless of what Pedro is going through now, he was obviously the best guy in the draft at the position the Pirates picked and they took him. After the Daniel Moskos disaster which got Littlefield canned, it was a good sign that they were at least selecting the best player available in the draft and not taking the 35th best prospect with the #2 selection because that's the highest guy they were willing to sign. When they drafted Tallion and Cole in back to back years, I started getting psyched up.

Last edited:
Cutch to the 15 day DL.

they might survive this, Cutch was in a pretty good slump (3-34 at point) for awhile, and they still won.

but I doubt it.

the killer about Alvarez throwing fan blasters is frustrating because his FIELDING has been much better this year.

if they swan dive w/o Cutch, no sense in waiting til Bradenton '15 to try PA at 1st...

Adversity like this is what molds Championship teams. It happened in 2005 when Ben went down, and in 2008 with the killer schedule and Hines getting hurt.

This is an opportunity for this young group to pull together and become a team.

Although I hate to see our cornerstone hurt, this very well could be the blessing that turns these young Bucs into a force to be reckoned with in October..

Cutch to the 15 day DL.

they might survive this, Cutch was in a pretty good slump (3-34 at point) for awhile, and they still won.

but I doubt it.

the killer about Alvarez throwing fan blasters is frustrating because his FIELDING has been much better this year.

if they swan dive w/o Cutch, no sense in waiting til Bradenton '15 to try PA at 1st...

I still say he got hurt in the all star game with an awkward slide into home plate. He's not been himself since then.

Someone needs to step up and do a J-Ha impression until Cutch returns. Any takers? Polanco...Marte...Pedro???

Hold the phone... DK saying it isn't an oblique like reported yesterday. He's hurt but not an oblique.

It's reportedly a broken rib. He hasn't yet been placed on the DL, but I do not see how he will be able to play anytime soon.

It's reportedly a broken rib. He hasn't yet been placed on the DL, but I do not see how he will be able to play anytime soon.

If it is a broken rib then the book needs to be thrown at Gibson... he's a punk even though he had already been ejected from the game.

Rib fracture will be painful but he'll be able to play through it eventually. No DL is good news here.

There will be blood. Cutch don't forget.

miguel-montero-middle-finger0001.gif

John Wehner pointed out that that the catcher Montero gave the sign to bean Cutch.....An extended middle finger pointed toward the MVP.

Another person commented that after the play Montero gave a thums up towards the bench.

http://fromforbestofederal.com/miguel-montero-puts-middle-finger-signal-cutch-retaliation/

Last edited: