• Please be aware we've switched the forums to their own URL. (again) You'll find the new website address to be www.steelernationforum.com Thanks
  • Please clear your private messages. Your inbox is close to being full.

2014 Pirates thread

Since 1901, 4439 batters (non-pitchers), have been to the plate 400+ times. Michael Martinez ranks 4427th with a .185 batting average and 4421st with a .492 OPS.

Yeah this dude is horrid. Surely there is someone better to plug in. Where did he come from anyways? our AAA club a trade or what? Having Cutch back will certainly help. but the bullpen is sinking us. Like others have said I dont know why they didnt try to find somebody. We can only rely on a couple guys and they appear to be getting overworked now. If we lose another couple games in a row we are done.

I think the Pirates will still get in the wildcard. I'd play next years team the rest of the way. Pedro at first and Harrison on 3rd.

I'd spend the money to bring Martin back. I think 2015 is the year for real playoff possibilities, so play the players now you
expect to have then.

Whom were we kidding? They're losers and always will be with Robert "profit margin" Nutting signing the checks.

looks like they will be sellers and not buyers in the coming weeks. What a thud this season is turning out to be and so quickly.

Last season the Bucs rode their pitching to the playoffs. They did NOTHING in the off season to bolster that or any other part of the team. If anything, they took away from it. And the talent that was left was over used and got tired or hurt from not much if any rest. Sure glad to see those cricket players panning out.

two games out of the wildcard after their first prolonged losing streak this season... They still have plenty of games left...

Very true, Lmob, but looking who is coming up on the schedule, there is no room for another lapse or losing streak. They actually need to rail of 5 or 6 in a row against MIL, CIN and STL.

Very true, Lmob, but looking who is coming up on the schedule, there is no room for another lapse or losing streak. They actually need to rail of 5 or 6 in a row against MIL, CIN and STL.

That doesn't have me feeling to confident. Milwaukee kicks our *** always and not much luck with the other two this season either.

It looks like they've somewhat regained their footing after that horrendous slide.

Despite already taking the series, it would be a large setback in terms of the division if they do not complete the sweep, as there is a huge difference between three games out and five games out at this point in the season.

Polanco has been sent back down to AAA.

It's not yet reason to sound the bust alarm, but it's somewhat worrisome the extent to which he has been struggling recently.

I do not think he made contact during any of his at bats yesterday, including any foul balls.

Polanco has been sent back down to AAA.

It's not yet reason to sound the bust alarm, but it's somewhat worrisome the extent to which he has been struggling recently.

I do not think he made contact during any of his at bats yesterday, including any foul balls.

Disappointing....to say the least...

Let the kid work on his swing....I think he will return in September.

Boost in confidence against the minor league pitching, in time for the run....

They really need to take the series today to keep pace in the wild card, but the Wainwright vs Locke pitching matchup is hilariously in the Cardinals' favor.

Hopefully, Locke can keep it close and they can get Wainwright out of the game by the 7th inning.

pretty good wish list Punxy. The Bucs delivered. Davis' HR was a monster blast. Hit the speaker or it would have went into the river.

Locke was really good today. Very strong performance.

Yeah, they may have found a solid #3 type starter in Locke. The kid just knows how to pitch.

It was definitely a huge win today, as taking consecutive series from the Brewers and Cardinals is a great sign.

If Cole, Liriano and Locke consistently pitch anything like they did in this past series in September, they'll definitely make the playoffs and maybe even do some damage once they get there.

Buccos with 3 straight wins and the Cards with 3 straight losses. Brew Crew with 2 losses in a row. I was about to write us off a week ago.

JayHay does it again!

In an interesting side note, anyone notice the nice year the Lloyd McClendon is having in Seattle? Just reinforces how bad the Bucs were during the 20 year stretch. Leyland, Lamont, Tracy, and now McClendon have all shown the ability to win when given a good team, but failed miserably trying to manage the slop that the Pirates had on the roster when they were here.

Have you bunch of Nancy's calmed down and stepped away from the ledge yet? They are still in the hunt. The top of this page looks like the march of the lemmings.

Every time they get within 3 games of the division lead, they go backwards. Let's see what happens this time.

Last edited:
that 7-game losing was killer. They are playing better, but I hope the hole they dug is not too deep to get out of.

Last night's game was a show of resiliency by the Bucs. Prior years, I don't see them answering the Reds after they took the lead after such a strong outing by Volquez, but they took the lead and the bullpen held. Solid, exciting game to watch.

They were hanging around at 1.5 games out for a good bit before they fell apart. Hopefully they can at least take this series and move on

Raise It !

4 game winning streak

Raise It !

4 game winning streak