• Please be aware we've switched the forums to their own URL. (again) You'll find the new website address to be www.steelernationforum.com Thanks
  • Please clear your private messages. Your inbox is close to being full.

2014 Pirates thread

Polanco has had a hit and a strikeout in every major league game through four games... which streak ends first?

It was nice to see Polanco get the game-winning homerun, but it still does not excuse that abomination of a 9th. It's been a circus in that aspect far too often this season,

It really feels like they've blown as many 9th inning leads in 2014 as they did in all of 2013.

It may time to give Watson a shot at the closers role.

Polanco only went 2-5 with only 2 RBIs. Cutch still on fire. Who needs pitching when you are playing the Marlins?

ok, so I posted the post above with zero or one out in the 9th and a 8-2 lead. While we still won, giving up 4 runs in the 9th sure doesn't make me feel any better. This bullpen blows ***.

Ok, with the bullpen sucking,,Hurdle needs to let some pitchers stay longer than 7 innings. This is not last years bullpen - that's for sure.

Ok, with the bullpen sucking,,Hurdle needs to let some pitchers stay longer than 7 innings. This is not last years bullpen - that's for sure.

I'm afraid to look, but how many games have they blown this year? Can't lose these types of games when you are trying to compete for the playoffs.

I'm afraid to look, but how many games have they blown this year? Can't lose these types of games when you are trying to compete for the playoffs.
Well, they have blown 13 saves which leads the majors. Still looking for holds & blown holds.

if they would have not blown half of those then they would be leading the division

If the relievers, who have carried the team at times over the past two seasons, can get any where near where they have been and the hitting continues, this could be an exciting year... To bad we had to wait so long to get Polanco into the lineup...

If they had last years pitching, they'd have the best team in baseball. Currently they are 1st in the Central and 2nd in the National League in hitting.
The batting line-up does look rather potent. Can't remember a 17 and 18 hit game back to back in a long time.

Locke and Worley recent outings have been encouraging. They still have a shot at piecing together a solid starting 5. Starters going more than 5 innings has
been a bigger problem, than leaving them in beyond 7.

Cole needs to be an innings eater, rest the bullpen while he pitches :)
Also, what was that pitchers name we were going to call up, but he ended up having Tommy John surgery?

If they had last years pitching, they'd have the best team in baseball. Currently they are 1st in the Central and 2nd in the National League in hitting.
The batting line-up does look rather potent. Can't remember a 17 and 18 hit game back to back in a long time.

Locke and Worley recent outings have been encouraging. They still have a shot at piecing together a solid starting 5. Starters going more than 5 innings has
been a bigger problem, than leaving them in beyond 7.

I think they may be pursuing a Cubs pitcher... Szmardjiandiaogheosd or Hammels... Szmardaignoaejdhfid is probably out of our price range but Hammels could be a fix that may be had for a low tier prospect.

I think they may be pursuing a Cubs pitcher... Szmardjiandiaogheosd or Hammels... Szmardaignoaejdhfid is probably out of our price range but Hammels could be a fix that may be had for a low tier prospect.

If we could afford it, Szmardingowskiberg would be my choice.

I doubt they would be willing to part with what it would take to land Samardzija.

The Cubs would likely demand the keys to the farm system in return

It's time to throw the grilled cheese in the trash, as it has clearly gone stale.

The next time Hurdle runs Grilli out there in a save situation, I am going to kick something.

The next time Hurdle runs Grilli out there in a save situation, I am going to kick something.

Tony Watson come on down.... Grilli needs to have a muscle strain and go to AA and AAA for a month... Keep Melancon in the 8th and move Watson to the ninth...

If Hurdle does make a move, I have a feeling it will just be switching the roles between Grilli and Melancon.

Personally, I don't want Grilli anywhere near a crucial situation right now, save or not.

So, with the standings as they are now, if we were 2 weeks from the trade deadline, would we be buyers, sellers or neither?

Tekulve has put on a few pounds, be he should still be able to work the 9th on occasion.

Getting Samardzija would be a pipe dream. First of all we really struggle against him and second he seems to be improving in general. I do not know what we have that we could get him for other than $$, and I dont think he is worth destroying to farm system for. At the deadline I still think we can be buyers. We are still close to a WC spot and the division is not out of reach. If the pitching straightens up (especially the bullpen) then we can make a run.

Getting Samardzija would be a pipe dream. First of all we really struggle against him and second he seems to be improving in general. I do not know what we have that we could get him for other than $$, and I dont think he is worth destroying to farm system for. At the deadline I still think we can be buyers. We are still close to a WC spot and the division is not out of reach. If the pitching straightens up (especially the bullpen) then we can make a run.
Pedro for Samardzija?
Melancon as the Closer shows how it's done with 3K's to end it.

Pedro for Samardzija?
Melancon as the Closer shows how it's done with 3K's to end it.

I really hope that the Pirates have enough in them to makeup all of the blown saves that they've had this year.