• Please be aware we've switched the forums to their own URL. (again) You'll find the new website address to be www.steelernationforum.com Thanks
  • Please clear your private messages. Your inbox is close to being full.

2015 Penguins Thread -now with 100% more Kessel and a STANLEY CUP!

Status
Not open for further replies.
I did not know this..........

Philadelphia’s path to the NHL started in Pittsburgh.

In 1967 the Flyers and Penguins were added to the NHL’s “Original six” teams making up the “next six” as part of an expansion phase. But their time in the NHL dates back further than that.

Pittsburgh joined the NHL in 1925 as the seventh team. They were aptly called the Pittsburgh Pirates, a nickname they shared with the baseball team also based in Pittsburgh.

They wore Black and Gold. Colours they adopted from the “flag of Pittsburgh”.

The team operated for five years without much success on the ice and off suffering from low attendance and large debts they eventually sold the team in 1928 to ex-boxer Benny Leonard. Leonard changed their familiar Black & Gold to a new colour scheme of Black & Orange. They operated only one more season before they were promptly relocated to Philadelphia re-emerging under their new nickname the Philadelphia Quakers.

The Quakers only played one season before they too folded.

Both cities returned to the NHL in 1967

http://thehockeywriters.com/how-the-pittsburgh-pirates-became-the-philadelphia-flyers/

Yep, and those pirates were born out of the old Pittsburgh yellow jackets, an amateur/semi professional team that started back in 1915. When they fell on hard times they were sold to a lawyer who turned them into the Pirates for the NHL. Both teams wore black and gold which is why the league allowed the current Pens to switch from blue and white to black and gold in 1980 even though the Bruins protested.

he's an offensive defenceman.

MAF is just gonna have to get used to being screened out on EVERY shot.

Yeah just saw that. The Pens D is gonna have to play some fast hockey and try to create turnovers. That defense is not an idle defense. You seen guys like Scuderi or Lovejoy who made smart decisions but were unable to keep the puck in motion. Its a different Pens team that relies on quick dump offs, forechecking and tons of winger help. Which is why the bottom 6 look damn good night in night out. They are built for what Sullivan is chalking up. Its gonna be a fun March

he's an offensive defenceman.

MAF is just gonna have to get used to being screened out on EVERY shot.

Yeah just saw that. The Pens D is gonna have to play some fast hockey and try to create turnovers. That defense is not an idle defense. You seen guys like Scuderi or Lovejoy who made smart decisions but were unable to keep the puck in motion. Its a different Pens team that relies on quick dump offs, forechecking and tons of winger help. Which is why the bottom 6 look damn good night in night out. They are built for what Sullivan is chalking up. Its gonna be a fun March

Yinz nailed it. Guess we'll see how this works out.

Pens shipped Plotnikov to AZ or for some guy I have never heard of and a conditional 7th rounder.

meh, junk for junk trade

Toughest remaining strength of schedule:

1. Bruins .591
2. Penguins .585
3. Stars .579
4. Rangers.576

I have a feeling the big deals eneded with the Staal trade.

Yinz nailed it. Guess we'll see how this works out.

They are crashing the net tonight in the offensive zone too. I want to see a lot more of that. Sid's wingers are controlling this game. The baby pens once again move the puck around

meh, junk for junk trade

Toughest remaining strength of schedule:

1. Bruins .591
2. Penguins .585
3. Stars .579
4. Rangers.576

C'mon Spike! Lol. Pens will make a strong push

I am tempering expectations this year - surprise me

Reactions: MTC
very good first period...

Geno with a nice move and goal...

Team playing with a lot of hustle and the kid goalie looked the part..

Two periods to go..

Pens are doing good. Baby Pens are my favorite line of the night yet again. Still plenty of game left. Crash the net and throw Holtby off his game

Gotta take over this 3rd period. Sloppy play towards the end of the 2nd. Settle down now

It's comical anymore how bad they play when I get to watch them and how good they play when I don't. I mean, they really didn't play that bad last night, but they still lost. I can't remember the last time I actually saw them win a game. It was before Christmas, I know that. I'll get the Rangers game here on Thursday, they'll lose that one too I'm sure.

watched this one on the 80 inch up at the bar.....didn't help.

but, is it just me or was the puck just bouncing and rolling and doin' the mezzican jumping bean thing wayyyy more than usual?

same ice for both teams, but wtf?

very good first period...

Geno with a nice move and goal...

Team playing with a lot of hustle and the kid goalie looked the part..

Two periods to go..

.....and then came period 2. It felt to me almost like they lost their confidence and will to be aggressive when the craps tied it up. (With the exceptions of Kuhnhackl, Rust and Wilson). Played reactive instead of making the craps play the Pens game. I still think the team needs someone whose responsible for responding to physicality from other teams.

When I say that I often get referred to the series against philthy when the Pens lost their collective minds and the series. It doesn't have to be one or the other, all or nothing. Not necessary to go full on goonery but there are 2 ways to respond to that stuff.....1 is to score. The other is to hit and hurt. Since #1 is hit or miss, #2 seems to be the most dependable.

PS- I'd love to see someone separate the great ape's head from his body. Dude is a head hunter and going to injure someone.

I knew they would lose...could smell it coming a mile away

Sid giving away golden scoring opportunities by forcing too many cute passes, Letang leaving his man and rushing up ice, leaving the gates wide open

it never ends

Reactions: MTC
Kind of felt they were in trouble when they took the 2 goal lead but then lost it like 30 seconds later. Just sucks that in tight games like that, they're supposed stars don't seem to make the play that will make a difference. Or, like in Malkin's case, they take the stupid penalty that is the difference. Two or three weeks ago Crosby was really lighting the lamp and now he's gone cold again. What does he have, like 1 goal in the last 10? In games against the best competition, those two have to bring their A game.

watched this one on the 80 inch up at the bar.....didn't help.

but, is it just me or was the puck just bouncing and rolling and doin' the mezzican jumping bean thing wayyyy more than usual?

same ice for both teams, but wtf?

It was a faster paced game than usual. The bottom 6 were playing lights out again. Rust is due for a break away with that movement. Wilson, Kunhackle(sp?), Porter, Cullen are a special group. The veterans again had some mental meltdowns. I think Letang can be a good player when he wants to be. But since his concussions he reacts to quickly and takes a penalty. I dont blame Malkin for his mental breakdown the guy was being targeted all night

I knew they would lose...could smell it coming a mile away

Sid giving away golden scoring opportunities by forcing too many cute passes, Letang leaving his man and rushing up ice, leaving the gates wide open

it never ends

Its the veteran guys Spike. Thats what pisses me off. They have gotten better under Sullivan. But they still have their little moments. At the most crucial time too. Another tough test against a NYR team who has had some recent success against the Pens. Still remaining optimistic here

**** Henrick Stankfist. The Pens are whooping *** tonight. Playoff push starts now

It's a start

Capitals 98

Rangers 80

Islanders 75

Penguins 72

Flyers 69

Hurricanes 68

Devils 67

Pens chase Lundquist out of net tonight. Win 4-1.

Figures, wasn't home to watch and they won. Well, odds are I won't see either of this weekend's games, so maybe that's good news!

Status
Not open for further replies.