• Please be aware we've switched the forums to their own URL. (again) You'll find the new website address to be www.steelernationforum.com Thanks
  • Please clear your private messages. Your inbox is close to being full.

2015 Penguins Thread -now with 100% more Kessel and a STANLEY CUP!

Status
Not open for further replies.
That was the sweetest short handed scoring I've seen. Good job Pens

The entire trade Malkin thing is stupid, he carried this team when Sid couldn't find his game. The entire team has changed the way they played in Geno's absence, no way Bonino is a better center or player than Malkin is, hopefully Phil and Hagelin keep up their level of play when Malkin gets back, how many times were they set up for good opportunities and totally whiffed? The power play sucks balls without Malkin and that'll be huge in the playoffs because all this speed we are seeing will be obstructed and held come playoff time, it always is.

what's Geno making, again?

enough to buy at least two more mid level guys?

that are hungry?

yes, he carried the team when Sid was in a funk and Kessel couldn't trade a keg of Molson for a goal.

but that was yesterday.....Sid is on fire, Kessel is playing well...and with the way Hagelin and the kids are playing to a high level, they don't miss him as much as his contract would make you think.

...and Geno is tough, but he's no Iron Man himself these days....

it's the same old story...everybody knows it's a real drain carrying Sid AND Geno's pay....I say get something for him and some cap space while they can.

The entire trade Malkin thing is stupid, he carried this team when Sid couldn't find his game. The entire team has changed the way they played in Geno's absence, no way Bonino is a better center or player than Malkin is, hopefully Phil and Hagelin keep up their level of play when Malkin gets back, how many times were they set up for good opportunities and totally whiffed? The power play sucks balls without Malkin and that'll be huge in the playoffs because all this speed we are seeing will be obstructed and held come playoff time, it always is.

Malkin is a locker room presence and steps up when needed. He's not the same Geno like he was. Love the guy. I think he's still useful for the Pens. We'll see come playoffs

what's Geno making, again?

enough to buy at least two more mid level guys?.

You got me leaning hard

He's making more than Sid in salary and has a $9.5M cap hit every year

The problem is with both him and Sid on the ice he tends to disappear for long stretches of games

We could get back a #1 D-man, a top 3 forward, a d-prospect, and more...You have to at least consider that. - but it would probably have to be a multi-team deal.

You got me leaning hard

He's making more than Sid in salary and has a $9.5M cap hit every year

The problem is with both him and Sid on the ice he tends to disappear for long stretches of games

We could get back a #1 D-man, a top 3 forward, a d-prospect, and more...You have to at least consider that. - but it would probably have to be a multi-team deal.

When Geno is on Sid is off vice versa. If I had to pick between the two. I would pick Crosby to stay. Crosby is a complete player/better passer as well. I questioned Crosby's leadership at the beginning of the season--but in all honesty I think he was like that cause of Johnston. Under Sullivan you hear how he is a team first type of guy. And with a talented bunch you want to hear that from your captain. So yeah I think bait Geno on the trading block. Dont want the guy to leave but it has to be

since the hockey trade deadline has long passed it will have to be an off-season thing

Agreed. But Geno is going to have to adapt to his linemates style,and not them to his. This means he will have to feed those speedsters, and then follow up,which could be a great system. He will be great on the PP.

Geno ain't going nowhere

there goes the third line

Dave Molinari ‎@MolinariPG
Sullivan says Rust will be "day to day" and won't play Thursday. Also, no change in Malkin prognosis of 6-8 weeks

there goes the third line

Dave Molinari ‎@MolinariPG
Sullivan says Rust will be "day to day" and won't play Thursday. Also, no change in Malkin prognosis of 6-8 weeks

Always taking an injury somewhere

Extreme_Unction_LACMA_AC1994.171.5.jpg

Kessel = Snipe!

Young legs

and who needs Shrek when we have Trevor Daley

2015 Penguins Thread -now with 100% more Kessel!

relentless, hungry scorers, PP!

Errey didn't didn't act like a total Homer...good game

You rarely win a trade when you are trading away the best player, and any trade involving Malkin would mean he would be the best player in that deal. It's not just Kessel and Hags playing better now since Malkin got hurt, the entire team has stepped their game up. Malkin is one of 5 players in the league that are scoring over 1ppg and that was with Kessel and Hags not playing well, now they found their game it will only be better when Malkin returns, unless they quit playing as hard when he comes back. If Kessel can't play with a star center, he sucked with Sid too, you don't trade the star center away to make Kessel happy.
This is a short sample without Malkin, it's not like this has been going on for half a season, it's what 10 games?

He's a game changer, along with Sid, with Letang who has raised his game(is that because Malkin is out too?), and a top 4 goalie right now. Kessel is the one that needs to keep his head out of his ***. Sid, Geno, Letang, matta, Hornquivst, Phil, Fluery. I'm not messing with that core at all, and Malkin is a power play beast.

This was just like the year Sid went down with the ankle, the Pens were around 8th/9th place, then the Pens had an insane run with out Sid, ended up 2nd in the conference and Malkin won the scoring title, and the trade Sid talk started, it's just stupid, we have 2 of the best players in the game, and fans always want to trade one.

9.5 mil isn't all that much when you consider Shea Weber's making 14. So Geno's worth in a trade might not even bring a #1 D man. That aside, I've been on that wagon before but now am not. His PP presence alone almost makes Geno worthy.

This team has become a "special" one, thanks to coaching, the young'ns and doing all the little things well. Hustle, shot blocking, winning puck battles (looking at you Sheary), just generally sacrificing themselves for the benefit of the team and winning. The mentality is there. The coaching isn't lazy anymore.....the line shuffling has worked very well and I loved Mikey throwing the same line back on the ice after the challenge last night. A great big FU to the Preds! If they can get and remain healthy this is a definite cup worthy team.

The Bones, Kessel, Hagelin line is an awesome line. The active D is a big plus (and part of the reason Letang is shining again.)

Filling the net.........chasin' goalies. It's what they do.

Sunday game rescheduled to 5 oclock.

Last edited:
5 more games till the playoffs!

Flyers are in, Wings are out now - 2 pts back

Big games this weekend

Pens clinch tonight if Detroit loses to Minnesota

So after the clinch do you keep going balls to the wall, or lay off, get healthy, and 'work on things' for the playoffs, like the Caps supposedly are doing.

Health is our friend.

Pittsburgh Penguins ✔ ‎@penguins
Coach Sullivan on how close Maatta and Rust are to returning: "I'm sure they're a little bit closer, but they're not there yet."

Last edited:
So after the clinch do you keep going balls to the wall, or lay off, get healthy, and 'work on things' for the playoffs, like the Caps supposedly are doing.

Health is our friend.

Pittsburgh Penguins ✔ ‎@penguins
Coach Sullivan on how close Maatta and Rust are to returning: "I'm sure they're a little bit closer, but they're not there yet."

The way we are playing, I wouldn't rush anyone back. I would keep pedal to the medal....and the momentum.....which Caps seem to have lost.

Reactions: MTC
once we clinch, I'm not sure I'd keep playing Letang 30 mins a game though.

once we clinch, I'm not sure I'd keep playing Letang 30 mins a game though.

Letang has been seeing a ton of ice time. The guy could use a rest before playoffs start

Status
Not open for further replies.