• Please be aware we've switched the forums to their own URL. (again) You'll find the new website address to be www.steelernationforum.com Thanks
  • Please clear your private messages. Your inbox is close to being full.

2015 Penguins Thread -now with 100% more Kessel and a STANLEY CUP!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Good win. Looks like they are back on track. It was especially pleasing to see the Pens not retaliate when the Rags started banging them around with some questionable hits. They just kept on skating.

very good win, holding any team to 17 shots on goal will give you a great chance to win. Murray was very good, now can he do it on a consistent basis? He'd have a great game in the regular season, then he'd follow it by giving up 3 first period goals. The Rangers did get away from what they did in game two, chip the puck behind our D at the blue line than forecheck, they were trying to be to fancy entering our zone, I expect them to get back to chipping and forechecking in game 4. We looked like we wanted it more.

Yes Murray looked good - but without the D he'd have been sunk. Together they made the Rangers look ordinary.

Great Offensive game plan, looked like the foot was buried on the gas petal all night long.

Well well, those filthy philly ******** didnt get swept

Well well, those filthy philly ******** didnt get swept

If they last a few more games, beat up the Capitals and take a few of them out, it would be a good thing for whoever faces the Caps in the second round. (Hopefully Pens)

Reactions: MTC
I kept seeing it referred to as "homophobic." Not sure I understand that.

Calling a ref a *** probably wasn't the smartest thing to do

Ha - Rangers fans are having a **** fit Letang WASN'T suspended for his high stick to the mouth

How NHL excused nasty hit that knocked out 3 Ranger teeth

Inexplicably, the Rangers were told by the league that there was no suspension and no hearing for the vicious act — deliberate or not — because the play was the result of a hit on Letang from the Rangers forechecking forward, Dominic Moore, thus forcing the stick up into Stalberg’s face. It was an interesting explanation in the midst of a series, and league-wide playoffs, that has been ripe with disciplinary inequity — which, mind you, is different than bias.

“We might feel that it seems deliberate,” Rangers coach Alain Vigneault said after his team’s optional practice at the Garden on Wednesday. “The NHL doesn’t see it that way, and the referees on the ice at the time didn’t see it that way. We just have to deal with it and focus on the next game.”

Letang lamented the hurt he inflicted on Stalberg, and made it clear that he had no intent to injure.

“I went in the corner trying to clear the puck, my stick was up and I got hit at the same time,” Letang said. “Not in a million years would I try to hit somebody in the face like that.

“When he was skating by the bench I said sorry. I didn’t know if I hit him or I hit Dominic behind me. I got hit, and I went off balance and I was leaning forward. I just said sorry to the guy.”

http://nypost.com/2016/04/20/how-nhl-excused-nasty-hit-that-knocked-out-rangers-3-teeth/

Last edited:
So who was in net and how was the team D tonight?

D was better....much more active. And Cullen turning into the steal of the century.

Calling a ref a *** probably wasn't the smartest thing to do

Ha - Rangers fans are having a **** fit Letang WASN'T suspended for his high stick to the mouth

How NHL excused nasty hit that knocked out 3 Ranger teeth

Inexplicably, the Rangers were told by the league that there was no suspension and no hearing for the vicious act — deliberate or not — because the play was the result of a hit on Letang from the Rangers forechecking forward, Dominic Moore, thus forcing the stick up into Stalberg’s face. It was an interesting explanation in the midst of a series, and league-wide playoffs, that has been ripe with disciplinary inequity — which, mind you, is different than bias.

“We might feel that it seems deliberate,” Rangers coach Alain Vigneault said after his team’s optional practice at the Garden on Wednesday. “The NHL doesn’t see it that way, and the referees on the ice at the time didn’t see it that way. We just have to deal with it and focus on the next game.”

Letang lamented the hurt he inflicted on Stalberg, and made it clear that he had no intent to injure.

“I went in the corner trying to clear the puck, my stick was up and I got hit at the same time,” Letang said. “Not in a million years would I try to hit somebody in the face like that.

“When he was skating by the bench I said sorry. I didn’t know if I hit him or I hit Dominic behind me. I got hit, and I went off balance and I was leaning forward. I just said sorry to the guy.”

http://nypost.com/2016/04/20/how-nhl-excused-nasty-hit-that-knocked-out-rangers-3-teeth/

Oh waaaah.

I would have had Letang suspended - just because it looked bad - but they said it was the shaft of his stick and not the blade that hit him so it wasn't intentional

slash_zpsdkdurlft.gif

Letang in trouble?

High stick on Stalberg looked ugly, but intent debatable

It’s almost impossible to fathom why neither of the two referees, Dave Jackson or Kelly Sutherland, would have raised his arm for a penalty. All of the league’s high-sticking rules require the player to be “responsible for his stick,” meaning intent doesn’t need to applied to making a call. Except for the follow-through of a shot, the burden is on the player holding the stick. What’s more, if a player is bloodied by an unintentional high stick, the minor penalty automatically becomes a double-minor.

http://dkpittsburghsports.com/2016/04/20/will-letangs-high-stick-warrant-suspension/

If they last a few more games, beat up the Capitals and take a few of them out, it would be a good thing for whoever faces the Caps in the second round. (Hopefully Pens)

Agreed. I'm hoping they rough up the caps a bit

FWIW, I think most teams play much better as a team in front of the backup goalie. With a star like Fleury, the team knows it can cheat and he can bail them out, so they get away from strong team play. As the team becomes more confident in the new goalie, they will likely revert to their old ways, especially when the stars take up many more minutes and the 1st and 2nd line guys playing now get much sparser minutes and feel the "need" to overdo it in limited time.

Going with a rookie/backup goalie into the playoffs isn't the worst thing.....

I would have had Letang suspended - just because it looked bad - but they said it was the shaft of his stick and not the blade that hit him so it wasn't intentional

slash_zpsdkdurlft.gif

Letang in trouble?

High stick on Stalberg looked ugly, but intent debatable

It’s almost impossible to fathom why neither of the two referees, Dave Jackson or Kelly Sutherland, would have raised his arm for a penalty. All of the league’s high-sticking rules require the player to be “responsible for his stick,” meaning intent doesn’t need to applied to making a call. Except for the follow-through of a shot, the burden is on the player holding the stick. What’s more, if a player is bloodied by an unintentional high stick, the minor penalty automatically becomes a double-minor.

http://dkpittsburghsports.com/2016/04/20/will-letangs-high-stick-warrant-suspension/

Looks very bad, on his emergence from a hit, and he seems to swing through. Yeesh. Should have been penalized and maybe suspended.

In the old days, guys would never do that because they knew they'd get it back next shift or two.

Stalburg should watch where he's skating, he won't run into as many sticks.

Reactions: MTC
The press wants Letang's head

Why Kris Letang wasn't suspended by NHL for neck slash on Stalberg

While we don’t believe Kris Letang momentarily decided to play Tee-Ball with Stalberg’s head, there’s no question the position of his stick was dangerous (but it's sadly predictable that it wasn’t penalized late in a tightly contested playoff game). The other point of view on this is that the Department of Player Safety exists to penalize reckless plays as much as they penalize intentional ones. And they've suspended for less.

http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/nhl-p...layer-safety-hearing-for-slash-154651639.html

------------------------

Penguins star’s vicious neck slash on Rangers — and refs missed it

http://nypost.com/2016/04/20/letangs-missed-cheap-shot-may-have-been-suspension-worthy/

----------------

Why NHL’s pass for reckless Penguin is wrong in every way

http://nypost.com/2016/04/20/disciplinary-challenged-nhl-lets-letang-penguins-off-the-hook/

-----------------------

I fully expect to see Letang or someone laid out tonight - they will be looking for retaliation

I don't get why a lot of things are called , and others aren't. During the regular season, Letang gets a forced vacation. Gets a break in the playoffs. I don't get why NHL refs will intentionally try to even up the number of penalties, or not call something during a PK that they would ordinarily call. Why does one drop of blood mean 4 vs 2 minutes? Why do they swallow their whistles in the last few minutes? I believe if one intentionally head hunts, either with a stick or shoulder, they should get an automatic 10 game suspension. That **** would end. But they don't.

In some ways, the NHL operates like the WWE. Does it help sell tickets? Maybe. It also puts their players at risk....especially the skill players. I would like to see that change.......but it would involve adopting a more European brand of hockey, and less Canadian. Unfortunately, the Toronto overlords would not allow that.

The press wants Letang's head

Why Kris Letang wasn't suspended by NHL for neck slash on Stalberg

While we don’t believe Kris Letang momentarily decided to play Tee-Ball with Stalberg’s head, there’s no question the position of his stick was dangerous (but it's sadly predictable that it wasn’t penalized late in a tightly contested playoff game). The other point of view on this is that the Department of Player Safety exists to penalize reckless plays as much as they penalize intentional ones. And they've suspended for less.

http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/nhl-p...layer-safety-hearing-for-slash-154651639.html

------------------------

Penguins star’s vicious neck slash on Rangers — and refs missed it

http://nypost.com/2016/04/20/letangs-missed-cheap-shot-may-have-been-suspension-worthy/

----------------

Why NHL’s pass for reckless Penguin is wrong in every way

http://nypost.com/2016/04/20/disciplinary-challenged-nhl-lets-letang-penguins-off-the-hook/

-----------------------

I fully expect to see Letang or someone laid out tonight - they will be looking for retaliation

I think it will be an ugly game too. I do see the Pens coming out victorious though. Not sure if someone would be willing to drop the gloves with Letang. The guy can fight

slash_zpsdkdurlft.gif

Looks very bad, on his emergence from a hit, and he seems to swing through. Yeesh. Should have been penalized and maybe suspended.

In the old days, guys would never do that because they knew they'd get it back next shift or two.

Nobody wants to get suspended in the playoffs for a retaliation attack - we have that going for us

in other news

Pittsburgh PenguinsVerified account
‏@penguinsCoach Sullivan: "Matt Murray is starting tonight in net."

Whether it was intentional or not, he slashed a player right in the mouth, everyone could see that. Probably should have been a penalty/suspension, but I'm not complaining.

Just win, baby!

A shut out in MSG. I love it. Dominate performance. Questionable calls both sides as usual. But in the end, the Pens were the better team

Isn't it great watching a Penguins team that can go down 3-0 and you just know they will come back. Year's past you could pretty much change the channel but not this team.

I hope they unleash a serious can of whoop *** on the Rangers and chase Lundqvist in a few games if they play them.

And THAT is what I was talkin bout!!!!!

:applause:

Great game. If anyone needs tickets I have 2 for Saturday in the Burgh! Sec 227 $230 for the pair

Status
Not open for further replies.