• Please be aware we've switched the forums to their own URL. (again) You'll find the new website address to be www.steelernationforum.com Thanks
  • Please clear your private messages. Your inbox is close to being full.

2017-2018 Pittsburgh Penguins

A positive take away is this gives the Pens some time to really look at their glaring weaknesses.
I have a good feeling they'll make that an emphasis during the off-season.

If Letang is around next season. I'm gonna be....baffled

I'll think he has blackmail pictures on the GM

Tough way to end the year and it is a missed opportunity with such a great postseason from the first line. You want to win every year, but with a lackluster offseason with so many losses, it was going to be tough. Add in Brassard not working out the way they thought he would and not adding depth on the blue line did them in. At least they'll be in good shape heading into next year with hopefully a retooled roster that is geared toward a deep run.

They have a cup or 2 left. The Pens could use the break.
Nice to win, but the offseason is really short if you win the whole thing.

The window to recover, strength and condition properly is really short.
I like what Andy O'Brien and Alex Trinca can do with these guys with a better window of preparation

The best part of the year was putting up another championship banner and knocking out the ******* flyers.

Amen to beating the flyers! That was the one team I wanted in the playoffs.
The season had too many forgettable moments.

I enjoyed the MAF tribute, the Reaves fights.
Sheahan's and Oleksiak's growth.

I do miss when we'd all ***** about Hunnwick lol.
Beating the flyers.

They need the rest. They'll re-tool. Sullivan made use with what he had. Dude was working with tools that didn't fit this season.
Gonna be interesting to see the injury report and what these guys were battling through.

Hopefully a team will sucker into Letang for us. Give us some gritty depth on D.
Pens need to start pasting wingers against the boards next season.

Sullivan got further than I thought they'd go. He's a great coach. The Pens had no business even pushing the caps to 6 games. The FO left the Pens in a terrible situation. Sullivan made the most of it.

I'm not up on the money situation or FA. They really need help.

Sullivan got further than I thought they'd go. He's a great coach. The Pens had no business even pushing the caps to 6 games. The FO left the Pens in a terrible situation. Sullivan made the most of it.

I'm not up on the money situation or FA. They really need help.

Yep, he did a great job once again this year. The Caps were the better team and they earned the series win. Even losing in six games, the Pens were in position to win the last two games.

I couldn't even watch, I knew they were gonna lose, sorry

That had BETTER have been the last time Letang wears a Penguins sweater. He flat out SUCKS, and was the #1 reason we lost (well, maybe #2 behind Holtby's great play). If you can't find a trade partner, CUT HIM! And frankly, Maatta needs to go too. He's too damn slow. If Kessel doesn't have some kind of mystery injury, then ship his *** out too. He cooled off the second half of the season, and was about as bad as Letang in the playoffs.
They've got some good talent, but damn I wish we would've kept Cole and Reaves instead of Letang and Maatta. Brassard was a total waste as well.

Brassard was a big disappointment. I was never a letang fan, but this year's playoffs he was really really bad. Obviously kessel was terrible and malkin was half assed. I have to disagree about the coaching. I thought this series was a terrible coaching job. The top line should have never been broken up. Phil had no business getting a jersey let alone being on the #1 PP unit. Also having Phil and malkin together at the end of regulation agonist l almost cost them the game right then. Some of the non inured guys should have had a chance. This year we did not have the young fresh legs to inject some life into the team

Brassard was a big disappointment. I was never a letang fan, but this year's playoffs he was really really bad. Obviously kessel was terrible and malkin was half assed. I have to disagree about the coaching. I thought this series was a terrible coaching job. The top line should have never been broken up. Phil had no business getting a jersey let alone being on the #1 PP unit. Also having Phil and malkin together at the end of regulation agonist l almost cost them the game right then. Some of the non inured guys should have had a chance. This year we did not have the young fresh legs to inject some life into the team

I agree here. Seemed to me that Sully was searching for something that would beat the Caps pressure and sustain some offense. In the process, I think he out thought himself and broke up something that would probably have worked. I don't know what the deal was with Kessel and Letang, just awful the both of them.

Truth is, I ain't even mad. Kind of expected this. We can rehash the trades and everything else. The Caps were better from game 1 to game 6, and this is the result. They were faster, tougher and hungrier. I would like to say that Tampa will likely smoke them, but I can't. Should be a good series, and I wouldn't be surprised to see any remaining team win the Cup. Still rooting for the Jets, even though they **** the bed last night.

Good season. Sucks that it had to end in the Burgh, but it is what it is. They will be back next year for sure.

Reactions: MTC
The coaching part seemed like Sullivan was trying to kickstart some scoring.
Only one line was consistent and every time they were on the ice, the caps knew to get aggressive. Credit to them for seeing it.
The Pens didn't look into it either. The guys can and do deserve the rest. They'll be back

I agree here. Seemed to me that Sully was searching for something that would beat the Caps pressure and sustain some offense. In the process, I think he out thought himself and broke up something that would probably have worked. I don't know what the deal was with Kessel and Letang, just awful the both of them.

Truth is, I ain't even mad. Kind of expected this. We can rehash the trades and everything else. The Caps were better from game 1 to game 6, and this is the result. They were faster, tougher and hungrier. I would like to say that Tampa will likely smoke them, but I can't. Should be a good series, and I wouldn't be surprised to see any remaining team win the Cup. Still rooting for the Jets, even though they **** the bed last night.
Tampa has more line threats than we do.
I think they beat washington

Losing game 5 when they easily should have won it was the killer. They outplayed the craps most of the game but had a couple of lapses of a few minutes each where the caps put in multiple goals. Holtby played out of his *** as well. As much as a three peat would have been great, it was a tall order to fulfill. The Craps were also due to finally beat us.

Unlike the last couple years, the 1st line pretty much carried the team and the Caps contained them very well. The Pens lacked having the 3rd and 4th lines step up and get a goal like they did in the past. I guess its easy to say we were not as deep as in years past.

I think the Pens did an overall good job of containing #8, they just didn't have an answer for the rest of the team.

As far as Letang goes, I think he still has value but the Pens need to get some fresh blood and size on the #1 D line. Thinking Letang and Maata would be great on the 2nd or 3rd D lines.

Malkin just wasn't the same after his injury. I think he was ready to play golf or go in for surgery. Is it time to think about trading him in order to bring in younger and experienced talent?

TB will wipe the floor with the Caps, I see them sweeping

What did the Pens in was their downfall all season; defense lapses and mediocre to average goal tending. As good as Matt was at times, he let in some weak goals. Weakening the D by trading Cole and Reeves and adding Brassard also was an unnecessary move. They traded solid D and toughness with a player that couldn't adjust to the style of the Pens' play. Too many subtractions and not enough key acquisitions. A lot of things caught up with this team and it was bound to happen in the end. The last 10 series has been a fun and memorable ride.
They can rest, re-tool and gear up for another shot at it next year. They have the horses, but need to get more ponies in the stable.

Pens lost to the better team. We all knew they weren't winning the cup, we just weren't sure how far they were going in the playoffs. Tell you the truth, I wasn't sure they'd get past Philly. Heck, even if we got by the Caps, I didn't think we'd get past TB or any team left in the west.

Holtby was stellar, and the Caps finally learned how to play with some grit and intensity. Pens still have a strong core, and can retool this offseason. I'd like to get something for Letang. Hopefully someone makes a trade with us. Right now, I'm fine with draft picks over players for that guy.

Draft D and draft centers.

Unlike the last couple years, the 1st line pretty much carried the team and the Caps contained them very well. The Pens lacked having the 3rd and 4th lines step up and get a goal like they did in the past. I guess its easy to say we were not as deep as in years past.

I think the Pens did an overall good job of containing #8, they just didn't have an answer for the rest of the team.

As far as Letang goes, I think he still has value but the Pens need to get some fresh blood and size on the #1 D line. Thinking Letang and Maata would be great on the 2nd or 3rd D lines.

Malkin just wasn't the same after his injury. I think he was ready to play golf or go in for surgery. Is it time to think about trading him in order to bring in younger and experienced talent?

So you want to trade Malkin and keep Letang? With all due respect, no freaking way!! Letang has ZERO value to the Pens now, he is a liability. They are a better team with him, period.

So you want to trade Malkin and keep Letang? With all due respect, no freaking way!! Letang has ZERO value to the Pens now, he is a liability. They are a better team with him, period.

Do you foresee teams lining up to get a shot at Letang? IF they are, great, lets get what we can but then there is reality.

I'd trade an aging player in Malkin who still has a high stock value to rebuild and put Letang on a lower line rather than just releasing him for nothing.

There's a better chance in trading Letang than Malkin. They live for the two strong centers down the middle model. Also, Malkin has a no-trade that I can't see him agreeing to be moved. He stated before he would just go to Russia if he was asked to be traded. Saying that, if they can get a few pieces for the future or to solidify the team,I'd look into Letang. Relieving his salary also would be a plus. They are probably two solid Dmen and some grinders/beef away from getting back here next year. They have no one that can bang or bring some toughness. That can spark a team and crowd.

Letang and Murray were definitely the goats of the series, they stunk