• Please be aware we've switched the forums to their own URL. (again) You'll find the new website address to be www.steelernationforum.com Thanks
  • Please clear your private messages. Your inbox is close to being full.

2017-2018 Pittsburgh Penguins

Very slow start.
Pens started bringing it in the 3rd.
Jarry was way off tonight. Trouble clearing pucks by the D. Oh well.

Trouble clearing pucks by the D. Oh well.

This is every game. They can't clear pucks, don't clear the crease, and very often leave the goalie hung out to dry. Letang is just awful. The rest of the D is not much better. The Met Division is stacked, and playing timid, undisciplined hockey is going to leave you out of the playoffs. Hoping something changes, because there are some really good teams in the east this year, and right now the Pens ain't one of them.

Reactions: MTC
Jarry is a new Goalie in the NHL, and is currently being overworked since Murray is hurt. He's playing back to back nights and the Pens are relying too much on him. They need to play much better defense to help Jarry's development.

When young goalies are overworked, they tend to lose focus. Murray was a freak. He was NHL ready right out of the box. This is very rare in the NHL. A break would do Jarry some good, as he has a lot of talent and will continue to improve this year.

Jarry is a new Goalie in the NHL, and is currently being overworked since Murray is hurt. He's playing back to back nights and the Pens are relying too much on him. They need to play much better defense to help Jarry's development.

When young goalies are overworked, they tend to lose focus. Murray was a freak. He was NHL ready right out of the box. This is very rare in the NHL. A break would do Jarry some good, as he has a lot of talent and will continue to improve this year.

His defense let him down last night.

The 2nd goal was a soft one. But other than that he still did enough to win imo.
The Pens failure to score and lack of 5 on 5 focus is frustrating.

The Pens also had plenty of powerplay opportunities, failure to convert.

This is every game. They can't clear pucks, don't clear the crease, and very often leave the goalie hung out to dry. Letang is just awful. The rest of the D is not much better. The Met Division is stacked, and playing timid, undisciplined hockey is going to leave you out of the playoffs. Hoping something changes, because there are some really good teams in the east this year, and right now the Pens ain't one of them.

The failure to clear pucks has been the teams weakness even when they won the 2 cups.
In 2015-2016 it was masked by the offense making quick rushes and Lovejoy being smart with passing outlets.

Last season, especially towards the end and in the playoffs it was evident.
The defense makes bone headed passing decisions in hopes that a winger or the centerman can bail them out.

Idk. Sheahans line reacts well to the passes. Crosby and Malkin need to gain possession or else teams can trap them in their own zone for multiple shifts.

The 2nd goal was a soft one. But other than that he still did enough to win imo.

And, the whole "never clear" defense we run too often.

I missed the game with a Christmas party, full of Caps fans. I will say Caps fans are the most butthurt fans in the league when it comes to the Pens. Professional businessmen can't maintain composure when they know my team. And boy are we in the Ravens' heads. I love it! So of course I have my Pens retro sock coozie in my back pocket that I always use at parties to hold my beer!

And Jarry is an NHL Goalie, there is no question the way he plays, he's NHL ready, and will be NHL Starter capable (He's already a prime backup). It's amazing that this team is so talented up front, yet hits the jackpot with 2 young talented goalies. Organizations like the Flyers are still trying to figure out how to develop goalies, and keep dumping talented goaltenders because they didn't win playoff games when they were forced in before they were ready. Getting rid of Bobrovsky was the dumbest move that organization made with their young goaltenders.

I just don't get Letang. He keeps pulling up when he has a chance to take or make a hit to make a play. He is slow to pucks, often losing races he used to easily win. And worst of all, he keeps finding himself in a bad position and as a result he is making bad decisions. Not sure if he is nursing some sort of injury, or if the neck injury has him scared he could be injured again to the point his career would be over. Point is, the guy wearing #58 might be Kris Letang, but that ain't Kris Letang. Ya know? This can't go on much longer. We need that guy, the REAL Kris Letang. If he continues to be such a big liability, they need to either make him a healthy scratch or move him. Not sure who would want him though, the way he is playing right now.

I just don't get Letang. He keeps pulling up when he has a chance to take or make a hit to make a play. He is slow to pucks, often losing races he used to easily win. And worst of all, he keeps finding himself in a bad position and as a result he is making bad decisions. Not sure if he is nursing some sort of injury, or if the neck injury has him scared he could be injured again to the point his career would be over. Point is, the guy wearing #58 might be Kris Letang, but that ain't Kris Letang. Ya know? This can't go on much longer. We need that guy, the REAL Kris Letang. If he continues to be such a big liability, they need to either make him a healthy scratch or move him. Not sure who would want him though, the way he is playing right now.

Agreed. Love him for what he has been, but it's not there anymore.

Maybe move him to forward? The guy can score, and obviously understands offense. Something, anything. He is getting paid way too much for what he is producing. Yeah, he is getting his assists, but he is a huge defensive liability. Never thought I would say that about Letang. He never shied away from pasting a guy when he had the chance. Now he turns away from it. It is almost instinctive. He isn't there mentally. Not sure he ever gets there again.

Maybe move him to forward? The guy can score, and obviously understands offense. Something, anything. He is getting paid way too much for what he is producing. Yeah, he is getting his assists, but he is a huge defensive liability. Never thought I would say that about Letang. He never shied away from pasting a guy when he had the chance. Now he turns away from it. It is almost instinctive. He isn't there mentally. Not sure he ever gets there again.

Letang has never been a smart hockey player. He has always taken bad penalties and made poor outlet decisions. His failure to clear the puck out of the net front has cost us a ton of goals. Before this year his speed covered up for many of the poor decisions. I though "give him a chance to shake the rust off ". I think we are past that point. I'd like to see his minutes cut but every time we get close tom that, another injury makes it difficult.

Trade him, I wish. His stock is at an all time low. Keep him and at 18-19 minutes, he might be a better player ? Move him to wing, why the hell not. He has the skills

I read where the last 3 games were well attended by scouts from other teams. JR is going to make a move soon. Hopefully someone out there values Letang more than I do.

Yeah really disappointed in Tanger, and the D as a whole. We knew the off season losses would hurt, but thought it would work out with Tanger coming back. I think this puts the Pens in a tough situation.

Letang had a ruptured disc in his neck - he's lucky to be alive. I don't blame him for staying out of the high risk areas on the ice.

They will have to get back to crashing the goal before the playoffs though, everyone is standing around in front of the net, going through the motions

Pretty rally to start the third!

I don't want to sound bad, but Letang just doesn't have it any more.

This game looked like they were really going through the motions.
Mrs even said the team looked "not so inspired".

Jarry played solid but the team folded in front.
And to Cope, he is NHL caliber without a doubt. Definitely a two headed monster when Murray is back healthy

I will say Jarry is doing much better than I expected. He kept us in the Game last night.

. The Pens put 39 shots on goal but the quality of many of the shots were poor. Seems like when they don't go in right off the bat, they quit. Overall a lack of energy and any desire to hit. Definitely missing veteran leadership from last year.

The one take away was Letang's lack of effort on the empty netter. He had an opportunity to break it up and he just watched As I have said before. I can live with losing but not a lack of effort. Disappoint but there is a ton of hockey left. JR will do something soon. The Division is tight and he won't sit there much longer.

I will say Jarry is doing much better than I expected. He kept us in the Game last night.

. The Pens put 39 shots on goal but the quality of many of the shots were poor. Seems like when they don't go in right off the bat, they quit. Overall a lack of energy and any desire to hit. Definitely missing veteran leadership from last year.

The one take away was Letang's lack of effort on the empty netter. He had an opportunity to break it up and he just watched As I have said before. I can live with losing but not a lack of effort. Disappoint but there is a ton of hockey left. JR will do something soon. The Division is tight and he won't sit there much longer.

Jarry is playing really well.

The team in front is playing like they're ready to go on vacation.
Maybe the guys are content. Who knows? My speculation and I had a hunch going into this season that our guys were not gonna be too competitive.

However I do think a rivalry game that turns ugly will wake these guys up.

Jarry is playing really well.

The team in front is playing like they're ready to go on vacation.
Maybe the guys are content. Who knows? My speculation and I had a hunch going into this season that our guys were not gonna be too competitive.

However I do think a rivalry game that turns ugly will wake these guys up.

I finally found the word to describe the play this season.......ENTITLED. Almost like their expectation is that teams are going to fold because they are playing the back to back Pens.

I hate for a trade to shock this team into reality but if we don't get some scoring help on the 3rd line, it ain't going to be pretty. Defense, I doubt we fix it this year. They brought up Czuczman and he has been a good puck mover at WBS. Hope upon hope he can make it.

Murray is was activated today. Good news but keep Jarry in the rotation.

I finally found the word to describe the play this season.......ENTITLED. Almost like their expectation is that teams are going to fold because they are playing the back to back Pens.

I hate for a trade to shock this team into reality but if we don't get some scoring help on the 3rd line, it ain't going to be pretty. Defense, I doubt we fix it this year. They brought up Czuczman and he has been a good puck mover at WBS. Hope upon hope he can make it.

Murray is was activated today. Good news but keep Jarry in the rotation.

Either entitled or the guys are content. Contentment usually leads to going through the motions.
Some games the effort is there, some games it's not.

All this was expected by me. So not really shocked, but disappointed to say. There is still way too much talent to just fold up the season.

If and when the team gets their hunger back, they'll do fine.
Tonights game vs Vegas should be fun

I'd like to see them crank it up and get some wins before they're in a hole of must wins. You can't three peat lollygaging. It's a tall order,but why not give it all in at least trying. It's acceptable to go down in flames when you're giving 100%. That's what people pay money to see effort to win.

Entitled, content and unmotivated are good words to use. Sometimes the fire is there, sometimes it's not. I hate to keep bringing this up, but the team doesn't seem as deep as the past two years were. For the obvious reasons, they are not, but I've heard rumblings that GMJR is evaluating the roster before he makes a blockbuster trade to shake up the roster. This team may need a boost to get a fresh look.
Looking forward to tonight's game. Should be fun to see MAF and Engelland.

Since Murray is active, I guess he'll start tonight. Looking forward to seeing MAF, hate to root against him but will tonight.

JR is up to something, He likes to deal in December.