• Please be aware we've switched the forums to their own URL. (again) You'll find the new website address to be www.steelernationforum.com Thanks
  • Please clear your private messages. Your inbox is close to being full.

2017-2018 Pittsburgh Penguins

Letang's value is at an all time low. Injury history, high cap hit, horrible this season but as Tomlin would say he does have pedigree.. If there is someone willing to pay for hope of seasons past, then I would do it.
I think he is the only Blockbuster bait we have.

Hagelin is expensive for a role player than can't score. Horny is a heart and hustle but will need a contract, Cole although a free agent may be our best current Defenseman.

Maybe Sheary and an asset like Sprong and a pick ? I'd hate to deal Sprong or Simon.. I don't want to mortgage the future but the window for Sid and Geno is getting short.

I have a lot of faith in Sprong to be a future NHL caliber winger for a long time. They really have no one else in the farm if you deal him, too.

The thing with this current team, there is no identity. Are they a fast, run & gun team, but they are no longer a fast team? They are not a big, bully team, even though they have 3 min-a-game Ryan Reeves. They have skill, but everyone is under performing and going through the motions. They have to give up a big piece to re-tool and Letang seems like the player to get a decent return at this moment. It could change and like UB stated, there are a lot of factors to move him.

I have a lot of faith in Sprong to be a future NHL caliber winger for a long time. They really have no one else in the farm if you deal him, too.

The thing with this current team, there is no identity. Are they a fast, run & gun team, but they are no longer a fast team? They are not a big, bully team, even though they have 3 min-a-game Ryan Reeves. They have skill, but everyone is under performing and going through the motions. They have to give up a big piece to re-tool and Letang seems like the player to get a decent return at this moment. It could change and like UB stated, there are a lot of factors to move him.

Sprong's game hasn't developed to NHL ready by JR's estimation. He said as much in an interview last week. Also Sprong was a heathy scratch a couple games ago. The guy can rip a puck but defense is still reported to be a real problem. I'd say bring him up and give him a shot or let him go before his value drops. We could use the offense and I doubt he would make the defense much worse.

Honestly, I surprised to think that we don't have as much as I thought to change the direction of this team via trade. We do have some guys in European leagues but it's difficult to find much information on them. If we had a savior out there, I think we would be dialing the number right mow.

They have traded any saviors away to get those B2B Cups and it's hard to complain now about it. Would you move Kessell? Hagelin? It might be time to re-tool the team and unload salary and aging players. This is not panic talk from me, but reality to what is in front of them. They still have valuable pieces and are talented, but a change of scenery may be needed to get some fire on this team. It's a slippery slope, but I do trust GMJR and HCMS to turn the ship.

The team looks much much slower this year, and less dangerous, maybe the league finally caught up to their speed game?

Sheary, Maatta, Hornqvist (UFA) are the names that keep popping up in trade speculation

OK, so the fourth line is blah, and guys like Hagelin, and Sheary somewhat have played all over the lineup and just aren't getting it done.

But does Sheary actually qualify as a "major shake up" ? To me a major shake up is a core player, like Malkin.

The team looks much much slower this year, and less dangerous, maybe the league finally caught up to their speed game?

Sheary, Maatta, Hornqvist (UFA) are the names that keep popping up in trade speculation

OK, so the fourth line is blah, and guys like Hagelin, and Sheary somewhat have played all over the lineup and just aren't getting it done.

But does Sheary actually qualify as a "major shake up" ? To me a major shake up is a core player, like Malkin.

If they could get the pieces to re-tool, certainly, but from what I heard, Sid and Malkin's contract is as close to concrete as there is. No trade clause, high salaries and long term. A year or two ago, someone said if Makin was approached for a trade, he would go back to Russia. Don't know how true that is, but I could see it being difficult to pull off. Letang may be easier.

Guys like Sheary, Hagelin or Rust mid-level deals. They still need some of their scoring and PK abilities.

The team could miss the playoffs . Defense has been horrendous. They are playing as if they are owed a playoff spot, instead of going out there and earning it.

I just want ONE line that can outscore the opposition at even-strength. Until they can do that, the entire team is pretty much dead in the water.

So yes, blow it up if you have to.

The team could miss the playoffs . Defense has been horrendous. They are playing as if they are owed a playoff spot, instead of going out there and earning it.

I just want ONE line that can outscore the opposition at even-strength. Until they can do that, the entire team is pretty much dead in the water.

So yes, blow it up if you have to.

I am moving closer to the ledge as well. Tired of the lack of even strength goals and overall lackluster effort. It may be time to blow it up !
Lots of rumors surrounding Vegas but who thought they would still be winning ?

Murray is weak glove side lately.
A lot of bar dings.

Ruhwedal scores as I type this 1-1

Reaves played really well. Dug pucks out of the corners, caused problems in front of the net and even hit the post on what would have tied the game. The guy played like he wanted to be there.

No Hornqvist, no Shultz and it hurt.

Recchi may be a Hall of Famer but Tocchet was a much better bench coach. I'm sure he'll get better but right now, he is slow to make decisions and there is no fire.

Murray gets no support. There are constant screens and no one clears the front. Tonight you could see his frustration.

I was at the game. Sid took the night off.

Bad news if Sid is mailing it in

Row, row, row your boat gently down the cliff...apparently Chris Kunitz really was the glue keeping this team together

Here's a fun thought: If Carolina and Philly win some of their games in hand, we will be dead last in the Metro.

980x.gif

Last edited:
Reaves played really well. Dug pucks out of the corners, caused problems in front of the net and even hit the post on what would have tied the game. The guy played like he wanted to be there.

No Hornqvist, no Shultz and it hurt.

Recchi may be a Hall of Famer but Tocchet was a much better bench coach. I'm sure he'll get better but right now, he is slow to make decisions and there is no fire.

Murray gets no support. There are constant screens and no one clears the front. Tonight you could see his frustration.

Great game by Reaves last night.
Now only if the top lines can help out

We trade away a conditional 4th round 2019 pick for Jamie Oleksiak from Dallas. Get this, the guy is 6"7" 250. He was picked 14th in the 2011 draft. As Coach Shades would say. "He has Pedigree". He is a defenseman.

The guy doesn't score much, isn't as physical as you would think. I guess we can put him in front of the net and take up space. He really has not amounted to expectations. Hopefully we can do something with him. A Gonchar project.

He is a lefty. Someone will be leaving real soon.

Reactions: MTC
yea, a big hammer is about to drop. There is positioning going on before a big chip is traded. Sheary and Cole are the names being thrown around. Stay tuned. . .

yea, a big hammer is about to drop. There is positioning going on before a big chip is traded. Sheary and Cole are the names being thrown around. Stay tuned. . .

Cole's been in Sullivan's dog house for a bit.
Shame. He's one of the top defense men on the our team. Defense is a struggle as is.

Sheary is in a slump but is serviceable I suppose.

We trade away a conditional 4th round 2019 pick for Jamie Oleksiak from Dallas. Get this, the guy is 6"7" 250. He was picked 14th in the 2011 draft. As Coach Shades would say. "He has Pedigree". He is a defenseman.

The guy doesn't score much, isn't as physical as you would think. I guess we can put him in front of the net and take up space. He really has not amounted to expectations. Hopefully we can do something with him. A Gonchar project.

He is a lefty. Someone will be leaving real soon.

I think this is really sending a message to get some crease presence.

I think this is really sending a message to get some crease presence.

I've only watched him a couple times but have heard "He skates well for his size". Can you imagine him and Reaves in the corner after the puck ?

I'm wondering why JR is abandoning the speed profile ? We do have a bunch of smaller guys but get guys with size that can skate.

Reactions: MTC
Sorry to see Archibald go. He has a future. Hoping that the next guys up are legit.

I've only watched him a couple times but have heard "He skates well for his size". Can you imagine him and Reaves in the corner after the puck ?

I'm wondering why JR is abandoning the speed profile ? We do have a bunch of smaller guys but get guys with size that can skate.

The Pens identity was speed.
Maybe the shake up to keep the guys engaged.

Different philosophy system in place.
That's the tough thing about hockey. It's a trendy league. There's no stability. Guys gotta constantly change identity to get ahead.
Maybe that's what's plaguing the Pens at the moment.

Growing pains?
Tough metamorphosis?
Idk what to call it lol

Sorry to see Archibald go. He has a future. Hoping that the next guys up are legit.

Same. The dude was a gamer.
Loved his tenacity last season in the playoffs.

Someone who battled and hustled hard.
Just weird the way Rutherford is going with the dynamics of the team.

I think Sullivan will catch on though

Sorry to see Archibald go. Hoping that the next guys up are legit.

yeah, Archi was good here

Compared to the munchkins we're used to at least the new guy has some size