• Please be aware we've switched the forums to their own URL. (again) You'll find the new website address to be www.steelernationforum.com Thanks
  • Please clear your private messages. Your inbox is close to being full.

2017 NFL Draft Q&A

I agree. And, if you remember LeBeau's last season and Shazier's first year, since Shazier was injured, on passing downs, they were walking Polamalu down into the box as a $backer. It wasn't as effective as they liked, but they did it. They did it behind 2 DL and 2 DEs though, with 5 other DBs. I'm thinking they tweak that even more, keep Hargrave in with Heyward and Tuitt. You stack the OLBs outside of that and Shazier in the middle. Then, you walk a big safety down, still have your 2-CBs and 2-safeties.

So, that is more of your base, fine against the pass because you have 5-DBs and Shazier in coverage. Still strong against the run because they are basically running a 5-man line. It is because you have an ILB that runs a sub-4.4 that you can do this. Shazier provides coverage and run stopping. If you get a big safety that can cover and hit, then you have something. They can negate most offensive sets, including the 2-TE that has killed the Steelers in the past.

So Obi could be in play??

If Lawson, McKinley and Watt are already gone and Obi is there I wouldn't think twice to run to the podium with his name on the card

Ok here's another question. Do you think Rivers lasts to 62. Would you pass on those guys on the chance you could get Rivers or Willis at 62?

Sent from my HTC6535LVW using Steeler Nation mobile app

Last edited:
I don't really care for it myself. I do not view what I write as being any more intuitive than any other board member on any other board. Look, I wasn't a big fan of Bud Dupree. I wanted Byron Jones. In the 2nd, I would have taken Owa Odigzuma. He basically just came out and said he was stepping away from football after two injury plagued seasons. Dupree is blossoming. If they get anything out of Golson in the slot, then the way they went is vastly better than the way I went. Sure, we would have had a pair of safeties, but we would still need a CB and two edge rushers right now. Well, hell, that isn't better than where we are. At best, it is slightly behind. So, I am far from infallible. Far from it.

And, bringing up guys from 13 years ago doesn't really bother me either. I didn't like Phillip Rivers. As I said, still don't. Other than having great stats, I'm not sure what he has done to make him a great NFL QB. He damn sure hasn't put his team on his back and drug them into the playoffs. Hell, Eli isn't that hot either, but he has two rings. I don't see Rivers as much more than Kerry Collins. I damn sure don't see him as being as big a threat as I do a guy like Carson Palmer, and Kimo destroyed his knee. I still view him as a bigger threat. It is what it is. I guess the difference is, I'm not running from being wrong. I am wrong plenty.

I just want to talk football.

I wanted Owa in the 2nd too (guessing we would've picked a CB or S in the first), he had injury question marks but beside that he looked like a Steelers pick. I guess we were lucky that Dupree fell.

Ok here's another question. Do you think Rivers lasts to 62. Would you pass obtuse guys on the chance you could get Rivers or Willis at 62?

I think we would need to trade up to get Rivers, the guy is rising fast. I think I'd draft Bowser ahead of Willis

Edit: Harris would be ahead of both Bowser and Willis if by any chance he were available at 62

Last edited:
They are bringing him in for a visit. I don't think he would be visiting if they were not considering him. I think the first place you try him is at CB. He is pretty good in man coverage. Surprisingly good for a long DB. Then, I think you have to give him a shot at safety before you lock him down as a $backer, but I think he could play that spot and play it well. Might see him do it as a rookie if he cannot handle corner.

Ok here's another question. Do you think Rivers lasts to 62. Would you pass on those guys on the chance you could get Rivers or Willis at 62?]
I think there is a good shot that Rivers lasts until 62. Again, heavy draft, he is a small school guy, and while he has some decent film, there are also times where he gets stuck on blockers and that is at a lower level. He has some things to learn. So, yeah, I can see it. Remember, there are guys like Charles Harris, Lawson, McKinley, Watt, Bowser, Willis, and others that could go ahead of him. He probably won't interest many 4-3 teams. As for Willis, I'm not as big a fan. He does not play to his measurables at all. He looks big and stiff on film to me, much more so than say, Takk McKinley or Carl Lawson. If he played to his workout numbers, he'd go first round.

Now, if I were absolutely certain that Rivers would make it to #62, I go DB in the first round without batting an eye. But, the fear is, you go DB first, the edge rushers that fit a 3-4 could dry up quickly. It really all depends on how the first round unfolds. If we are sitting there at #30 and Harris, McKinley, Watt, Lawson, Willis, and Rivers are there, I go DB. If 2-3 are gone, you better get your guy.

Bowser is going to be a beast.....my guess is he goes mid 2nd round to a very lucky team....

They are bringing him in for a visit. I don't think he would be visiting if they were not considering him. I think the first place you try him is at CB. He is pretty good in man coverage. Surprisingly good for a long DB. Then, I think you have to give him a shot at safety before you lock him down as a $backer, but I think he could play that spot and play it well. Might see him do it as a rookie if he cannot handle corner.

I think there is a good shot that Rivers lasts until 62. Again, heavy draft, he is a small school guy, and while he has some decent film, there are also times where he gets stuck on blockers and that is at a lower level. He has some things to learn. So, yeah, I can see it. Remember, there are guys like Charles Harris, Lawson, McKinley, Watt, Bowser, Willis, and others that could go ahead of him. He probably won't interest many 4-3 teams. As for Willis, I'm not as big a fan. He does not play to his measurables at all. He looks big and stiff on film to me, much more so than say, Takk McKinley or Carl Lawson. If he played to his workout numbers, he'd go first round.

Now, if I were absolutely certain that Rivers would make it to #62, I go DB in the first round without batting an eye. But, the fear is, you go DB first, the edge rushers that fit a 3-4 could dry up quickly. It really all depends on how the first round unfolds. If we are sitting there at #30 and Harris, McKinley, Watt, Lawson, Willis, and Rivers are there, I go DB. If 2-3 are gone, you better get your guy.
This is going to be a very tense draft so many different ways they can go

honestly I only watched Willis game against Stanford, complete non-factor. He couldn't even hold the edge and all the snaps were with 2 hands on the ground. He won't fit and he isn't even so good at rushing

I just want to talk football.

You are in the right place, TMC. You are most definitely IN THE RIGHT PLACE.

Steelers fans know their football. Well, okay, you and I more than these other ***-clowns, but whatever.

Coach, you are not TMC's peer. He has no peer. The closest to him in research and film study is Del.

Stop comparing your rash opinions to his well thought out, and researched constructs. He will be right far more often than you. Not because he wants to be right, but because he has put in the time and has more football knowledge than you or I.

As i'm looking more at this draft, the more i'm thinking the steelers could be taking a "wildcard" pick in Rd 1.

The obvious pick is OLB or CB and both positions are deep. Seems like a no brainer that one of those will be the pick, but the very fact those positions are so deep is why they may pick elsewhere.

I think the steelers may find themselves in a "dead spot" in their rankings at both positions when pick 30 rolls around. WHen i say dead spot, i mean they are looking at their board and the OLB available at 30 is not significantly higher than they guys they can get in RD 2 or RD 3. With this draft that is very possible. Once the top tier guys are gone, it's very possible the steelers will have the next 5 or so guys rated about the same.

If that situation does happen then there's really only a few things that make sense with pick 30

1. Trade back. Add some extra picks and still grab the guy you want in RD 2.

2. Take the BPA. This is where the wildcard of taking a QB, TE, or RB comes into play.

3. Plan on drafting multiple guys at the same position. The trade back would still be preferable but if you can't trade back and you have decided that you absolutely must get a stud pass rusher this year, then you should plan to draft more than one. You can't draft your second OLB unless you drafted the first one earlier.

From what i've heard from Tomlin and Colbert, the steelers generally don't want to spend multiple high picks on the same position. That seems to also include players drafted in previous seasons that they are hoping to develop. The steelers had always planned on developing their own players and they were patient. THat was a great strategy because they had lots of successes. But then it seems to stop. Their draft picks just weren't developing as often as they had been.

This lack of development seems to have caused the steelers to change philosophy, to basically be less patient and to re-draft positions much sooner.

That's just a long way of saying, i think RD 1 could be a surprise pick, possibly a QB, and with the depth at OLB and CB, they could still come away with a pass rusher and a CB that can contribute immediately.

Please TMC,

Rudy is short and slow. Walker is a bit faster and better suited for coverage.

How's Phillip Rivers doing? IF you remember you felt he was a bust, I felt he would be a very good NFL Player.

Guess who was correct?

<<<<<

At least you got Awuzie correct. Would love to have him. But Leggett? LAZY.

Ahem...Sean Davis, Artie Burns, and Mr. Polamalu's assessments, by you, were all DAMN WRONG...shall I continue???

As i'm looking more at this draft, the more i'm thinking the steelers could be taking a "wildcard" pick in Rd 1.

The obvious pick is OLB or CB and both positions are deep. Seems like a no brainer that one of those will be the pick, but the very fact those positions are so deep is why they may pick elsewhere.

I think the steelers may find themselves in a "dead spot" in their rankings at both positions when pick 30 rolls around. WHen i say dead spot, i mean they are looking at their board and the OLB available at 30 is not significantly higher than they guys they can get in RD 2 or RD 3. With this draft that is very possible. Once the top tier guys are gone, it's very possible the steelers will have the next 5 or so guys rated about the same.

If that situation does happen then there's really only a few things that make sense with pick 30

1. Trade back. Add some extra picks and still grab the guy you want in RD 2.

2. Take the BPA. This is where the wildcard of taking a QB, TE, or RB comes into play.

3. Plan on drafting multiple guys at the same position. The trade back would still be preferable but if you can't trade back and you have decided that you absolutely must get a stud pass rusher this year, then you should plan to draft more than one. You can't draft your second OLB unless you drafted the first one earlier.

From what i've heard from Tomlin and Colbert, the steelers generally don't want to spend multiple high picks on the same position. That seems to also include players drafted in previous seasons that they are hoping to develop. The steelers had always planned on developing their own players and they were patient. THat was a great strategy because they had lots of successes. But then it seems to stop. Their draft picks just weren't developing as often as they had been.

This lack of development seems to have caused the steelers to change philosophy, to basically be less patient and to re-draft positions much sooner.

That's just a long way of saying, i think RD 1 could be a surprise pick, possibly a QB, and with the depth at OLB and CB, they could still come away with a pass rusher and a CB that can contribute immediately.

One of the things that I have discussed with other guys I trust is this is the draft where you want to get as many picks in the top 100 as you can get. So, don't trade up, stand fast, maybe move down from #30 if the field is full of guys you like and value is there. I think you can get a guy at pick #90 that is just as good as the guy you get with pick #62. It is just that deep.

I'm hoping they don't get cute and surprise us. I'd rather stockpile talent than have them get some brilliant idea to add a wildcard. The draft is gambling, that is certain, but there are times where you bet on blackjack and other times where you play roulette. I'm a low risk blackjack kind of guy.

One of the things that I have discussed with other guys I trust is this is the draft where you want to get as many picks in the top 100 as you can get. So, don't trade up, stand fast, maybe move down from #30 if the field is full of guys you like and value is there. I think you can get a guy at pick #90 that is just as good as the guy you get with pick #62. It is just that deep.

I'm hoping they don't get cute and surprise us. I'd rather stockpile talent than have them get some brilliant idea to add a wildcard. The draft is gambling, that is certain, but there are times where you bet on blackjack and other times where you play roulette. I'm a low risk blackjack kind of guy.

I'd be fine with moving back 10-15 spots and picking up an extra pick or two. I don't want them to reach with a ****** QB who is only considered a top QB prospect because of how ****** the class is... I don't think we need a WR/RB/TE either. The pick has to be defense. The first 4 should be defense. Have to find some edge rushers, and secondary.

We haven't traded much with our top picks in the Tombert era. That is especially true of potential trade back offers (which have been there based on picks very close around us the last couple of drafts). If anything because this draft is deep, the only thing they might consider is a Landry Jones type move in round 4 for a guy they really like and you might see them trade a future 3rd rounder. That is especially true with the generous way compensatory picks were dished out this year.

Based on free agency, I would suspect we get a compensatory pick or two next season so trading the future for now (while not something I really like to do) might appeal to them as we try to really shore up a run in the next two seasons.

If you need say a corner, then HELL NO, the guy at #60 is better than the guy at #90.

Some positions go off the board quickly. By the end of the second round 10-12 corners will be gone. By pick #90, your picking a sub package player or large project type.

This is why the Steelers need to pick a corner in rounds 1 or 2.

if the value is there at 1.30 for a blue-chip CB, I would do it.
you can always hope one of the 3-5 OLB's you like are still there at 2.62.
if there is a run on them, be prepared to trade up with a 4th or so.

if the value is there at 1.30 for a blue-chip CB, I would do it.
you can always hope one of the 3-5 OLB's you like are still there at 2.62.
if there is a run on them, be prepared to trade up with a 4th or so.

Yep I agree with tape's "wild card" assessment on this one - it's all going to depend on the players on the board. I think this draft, more so than any of our drafts in the past several years, the Steelers will look to take the best player available on their board in round 1. If that matches with the greatest positional needs, great, but it won't have to given the depth at OLB and DB. I can't lie though, I'd love to see 2 of the first 3 picks be a DB and an OLB, and I think they will ultimately go that route. But in ROUND 1, if the BPA is not either one of those positions, their pick may be a jaw-dropper

Yep I agree with tape's "wild card" assessment on this one - it's all going to depend on the players on the board. I think this draft, more so than any of our drafts in the past several years, the Steelers will look to take the best player available on their board in round 1. If that matches with the greatest positional needs, great, but it won't have to given the depth at OLB and DB. I can't lie though, I'd love to see 2 of the first 3 picks be a DB and an OLB, and I think they will ultimately go that route. But in ROUND 1, if the BPA is not either one of those positions, their pick may be a jaw-dropper

As long as it is oj Howard I'm fine with it haha

I wouldn't be surprised if they go TE first. WR is also possible. As long as they are not drafting a QB or OL in the first, I'll be OK with the pick.

I like the idea of trading back and in fact I was pissed the Steelers didn't jump on the Broncos trade when WJIII was taken right ahead of them. Of course staying and taking Burns has worked out very well so far. But if we are sitting at 30 and there's TJ Watt, Takk, Cunningham, Bowser are all sitting there as edge guys and the Browns want to get Watson or Trubisky who are sitting their at 30 and they offer maybe their 4th (108) or even offers to instead get our 30th and 94th for their 33rd and 65th I would do it.