• Please be aware we've switched the forums to their own URL. (again) You'll find the new website address to be www.steelernationforum.com Thanks
  • Please clear your private messages. Your inbox is close to being full.

2017 NFL Draft Q&A

Williams ain't on your list??? Tom Foolery!!!

off field issues, lacks motor, doesn't hold the edge against the run. You can't spend a 1st rounder on so many question marks

TMC,

Any thoughts on Connor Harris? I know he's from a small Div II school with a lower competition level, but he was a tackling machine all three downs with a high motor that constantly was running. He has the quicks to cover backs and TE/slot receivers too. Just I think he may have difficulty getting washed out by the bigger linemen in the pro''s. From the film I've seen, reminds me of Sam Mills...lots of heart and tenacity in that small frame.

Late round flyer or UDFA? I think he was in the top 10 class of ILBs....could be used as one of those 3rd down moneybackers you speak about.

Are you really pointing to his 12 career passes defensed as a metric for his coverage ability? Well, hell, might as well go with Tyler Matakavich then, since he had 7 career INTs and 11 career passes defensed. He must be a coverage monster. Why not Jordan Evans of Oklahoma, bigger, faster, 5 INTs and 16 PDs in his career. Or Jayon Brown (3 INs and 12 PDs).

And, you have NO clue what I am looking for. Why? Because I have not written it on a website for you to read and use.

Please TMC,

Rudy is short and slow. Walker is a bit faster and better suited for coverage.

How's Phillip Rivers doing? IF you remember you felt he was a bust, I felt he would be a very good NFL Player.

Guess who was correct?

<<<<<

At least you got Awuzie correct. Would love to have him. But Leggett? LAZY.

Last edited:
Please TMC,

How's Phillip Rivers doing? IF you remember you felt he was a bust, I felt he would be a very good NFL Player.

Guess who was correct?

<<<<<

Coach anyone can be right on one pick. TMC never laid claim that he would be right on them all.

So I wouldn't chest thump too much if I was you.

TMC - thoughts on Trevor Knight?

I've seen him being mentioned as only a late draft pick or not at all.
my question is why.

is this analysis on nfl.com legit? i saw him play a few times and he may not be accurate, but dude's a winner.

http://www.nfl.com/combine/profiles/trevor-knight?id=2558267

Analysis
Strengths
Looks the part with a muscular, athletic build. Has the ability to hurt teams with his legs or extend plays outside of the pocket before striking downfield. May possess packaged play potential with zone-read capabilities on short yardage. Able to generate velocity on intermediate throws. Kept a clean sheet on his short passing attempts with 10 touchdowns and no interceptions.

Weaknesses
One of the least accurate starting quarterbacks in college last season. Operates in the pocket with an excessively wide base as a passer. Has an elongated pitcher's windup and his arm slot drops down slightly below a three-quarter release. Location of his throws is a coin-flipper from snap to snap. Struggles mightily to attack outside the hashes. Lacks anticipation as a passer and allows defensive backs to close out throwing windows.

Bottom Line
Knight is a tough guy and a very capable runner, but he's never thrown with any functional accuracy and he doesn't have the anticipation and delivery quickness necessary. Knight is a longshot to make an NFL roster.

link from delzjc in another thread

http://draftbreakdown.com/video/trevor-knight-vs-auburn-2016/

Take it from an Aggie alumni who watched every game desperately hoping Knight would learn how to hit the broad side of a barn eventually........ he can't hit the broad side of a barn

Please TMC,

Guess who was correct?

<<<<<

what a douche.
You want to play hindsight? how was that Sean Davis prediction of you? or that Polamalu prediction for that matter? You also said Burns would suck.
I bet there are a lot more examples of your "scouting" abilities

TMC,

Any thoughts on Connor Harris? I know he's from a small Div II school with a lower competition level, but he was a tackling machine all three downs with a high motor that constantly was running. He has the quicks to cover backs and TE/slot receivers too. Just I think he may have difficulty getting washed out by the bigger linemen in the pro''s. From the film I've seen, reminds me of Sam Mills...lots of heart and tenacity in that small frame.

Late round flyer or UDFA? I think he was in the top 10 class of ILBs....could be used as one of those 3rd down moneybackers you speak about.

To me, he is a UDFA. I don't even have him as a priority FA. He doesn't have sideline to sideline range in his college film against the lower level, so I see him as an inside the numbers linebacker. Good coverage in zone when he gets depth. I think he was a high school safety. So, he sees and jumps routes well. He can't run in man though. Almost always, first few steps are forward, lots of false steps and has to recover. He gets caught by blockers a lot. Cut. On the ground. Just lacks the overall size and athletic ability. He is an effort guy that has pushed his limits IMO.

Coach anyone can be right on one pick. TMC never laid claim that he would be right on them all.

So I wouldn't chest thump too much if I was you.

TMC felt Rivers would be out of the NFL in three years. He's a good writer, but he'll miss a lot more than you might think.

I think Walker would make a fine 3rd round pick, and he's projected to go in round 3. He says round 4.

Don't get me wrong I'm glad he's back. The nickel linebacker he's looking for might be Obi Melifonwu, or Zach Cunningham.

Melifonwu would have to be taken in round one, as he won't last long if he escapes round one.

Cunningham has a mid 2nd round grade, he would be a huge reach in round one.

Last edited:
what a douche.
You want to play hindsight? how was that Sean Davis prediction of you? or that Polamalu prediction for that matter? You also said Burns would suck.
I bet there are a lot more examples of your "scouting" abilities

The sad part is he didn't see that TMC was being sarcastic. Lol. Sad day when you have to bring up the 2004 draft to have anything to be right about.

TC felt Rivers would be out of the NFL in three years. He's a good writer, but he'll miss a lot more than you might think.

I think Walker would make a fine 3rd round pick, and he's projected to go in round 3. He says round 4.

Don't get me wrong I'm glad he's back.

Coach personally I don't keep track on who gets this or that prospect right, but he watches a ton of film. and you have admitted to watching youtube.

So I hope you know who most fans would take more stock in.

Not that it is a competition.

TC felt Rivers would be out of the NFL in three years. He's a good writer, but he'll miss a lot more than you might think.

Don't get me wrong I'm glad he's back.

and you thought Troy would never make it...bashed the Sean Davis and Burns picks...along with my boy Ayers.....YOU have been wrong a lot more than others here....

and WOW you two are 1 round off on where a guy might be drafted....that is amazing.....I've seen drafts analysis that has Bowser as a 1st round guy, some as a second and some even as a 3rd rounder....some will be right others wrong....you make your guesses and see how the game plays out....

ANYONE who states their opinion is going to be wrong once in a while. hell I might even eventually be wrong about something one of these days

Please TMC,

Guess who was correct?

<<<<<

So, Matakevich is short at 6000 but Walker isn't at 6005. A half an inch. Same weight. Walker is 0.16 faster in the 40. Bench almost identical as is the cone and VJ. Shuttle is the same. Walker has him in the broad jump. Statistically, Matakavich kills him when comparing college numbers. Matakavich had 493 career tackles to Walker's 276. He never had less than 101 tackles in a season. In his final season, he had 138 tackles, 5 INTs, and 5 PDs. Walker had 105 tackles, 1 INT, and 5 PD.

As for Rivers, I had him as a 2nd round guy, hated his throwing motion. Hated it. Guess what, still won't give you a first for him. You had him rated very highly, above Ben IIRC. Sorry, I'll still take Ben and Eli over Rivers. But, you can have your stats and no rings. What about Polamalu's head? What about Sean Davis being a bust or Burns for that matter? What about your love for Randy Gregory? You wanted him in the first round. How is that one working out for you?

Yeah, I know I have Awuzie correct, had him correct in January prior to everyone else pimping him and him finally hitting your radar, once Mayock threw him on a list. And, if you knew ANYTHING about Leggett, you would know that the lazy talk came out of his mouth and he was referring to how he approached the game as a freshman/sophomore. You would also know that his coaches praised him since, said he came with a different attitude, leadership, mentality and was a big reason why they became the team they did. They called him a stabilizing force and a great teacher to those young players. But, you wouldn't know that because nobody has told you that yet so you can run other places and parrot it. Just keep this in mind, if I want your opinion, I can read it from NFL.com, where they usually originate.

TMC, What are your views on Tanoh Kpassagnon, DE, Villanova and Vince Biegel, OLB, Wisconsin? Would you be be happy taking them in the Steelers' second and fourth rounds, respectively?

TMC, What are your views on Tanoh Kpassagnon, DE, Villanova and Vince Biegel, OLB, Wisconsin? Would you be be happy taking them in the Steelers' second and fourth rounds, respectively?

Kpassagnon is a very athletic big man. I think he is going to develop into a pretty good pass rusher for his size. I could see him being a really good 3-4 DE or maybe a LDE in a 4-3. He is raw, but the physical traits are there and he plays hard.

Biegel is on the radar. Steelers had dinner with him and Watt when they visited. Real similar on film to Watt, not as athletic, but makes plays. I think if the edge rushers go early and they are left without a higher end guy, he is a target.

Many thanks for your insight, TMC. Where do you think they come off the board?

TMC has only been back for two days, yet Coach has ALREADY managed to piss him off. LOL.

In any case- welcome back, TMC. These threads are a delight.

So, Matakevich is short at 6000 but Walker isn't at 6005. A half an inch. Same weight. Walker is 0.16 faster in the 40. Bench almost identical as is the cone and VJ. Shuttle is the same. Walker has him in the broad jump. Statistically, Matakavich kills him when comparing college numbers. Matakavich had 493 career tackles to Walker's 276. He never had less than 101 tackles in a season. In his final season, he had 138 tackles, 5 INTs, and 5 PDs. Walker had 105 tackles, 1 INT, and 5 PD.

As for Rivers, I had him as a 2nd round guy, hated his throwing motion. Hated it. Guess what, still won't give you a first for him. You had him rated very highly, above Ben IIRC. Sorry, I'll still take Ben and Eli over Rivers. But, you can have your stats and no rings. What about Polamalu's head? What about Sean Davis being a bust or Burns for that matter? What about your love for Randy Gregory? You wanted him in the first round. How is that one working out for you?

Yeah, I know I have Awuzie correct, had him correct in January prior to everyone else pimping him and him finally hitting your radar, once Mayock threw him on a list. And, if you knew ANYTHING about Leggett, you would know that the lazy talk came out of his mouth and he was referring to how he approached the game as a freshman/sophomore. You would also know that his coaches praised him since, said he came with a different attitude, leadership, mentality and was a big reason why they became the team they did. They called him a stabilizing force and a great teacher to those young players. But, you wouldn't know that because nobody has told you that yet so you can run other places and parrot it. Just keep this in mind, if I want your opinion, I can read it from NFL.com, where they usually originate.

TMC,not that you need defended, but just ignore Coach. Most on this board, probably 99% on this board would rather read/converse with dialogue from your observations than feed Coach's agenda filled opinions and then have to listen to his arguing about such agendas.

TMC,not that you need defended, but just ignore Coach. Most on this board, probably 99% on this board would rather read/converse with dialogue from your observations than feed Coach's agenda filled opinions and then have to listen to his arguing about such agendas.

Coach doesn't bother me. He consistently tries to prove he is right and falls back to the same lines. He states things like I thought Rivers would be out of the league in 3 years, which is horseshit because I had him as a 2nd round pick. Again, hated his throwing motion. I'm not denying any of it. I had Eli and Ben higher. I still take them over Rivers and STILL don't think he will ever win a championship. In his whole career, he has 3 seasons with more than 10 wins. Three. That doesn't impress me. It impresses Coach.

Ask him what he thought about Le'Veon Bell and how big a bust he thought he would be until he "transformed his body".

I do not condone nor respect the *** kissing of fellow message board posters like many here do. But that being said, what sense does it make to go back years (decades?) of draft predictions to cherry pick one or two someone may have gotten wrong to discredit a person's work? I have far more respect for someone who endlessly breaks down tape and studies the intricacies of every prospect and develops opinions only to be wrong every once in a while, than I do for the guy sitting on the sidelines pointing it out.

Besides, if the draft and talent evaluation were an exact science, sports (hell the whole world) would be an entirely different landscape. It's impossible to put in the amount of work studying all these prospects as TMC does and be spot on with future predictions for everyone every single time. It's really bizarre to think that a couple cherry-picked examples somehow undoes all of that.

The steelers have been removing the NT when they go nickel, so they have needed two 3 down ILBs. But with them letting Timmons leave, i think it will now be the ILB who comes off for the extra DB. If that's the case then i think they are fine with Williams or Matakevich playing next to Shazier on run downs.

The only ILB i like is the kid from Vanderbilt, who would have to be the 1st round pick. All the rest are guys like Boulware from Clemson or Bullough from Mich State, who are like Matakevich and can be had late.

I do not condone nor respect the *** kissing of fellow message board posters like many here do. But that being said, what sense does it make to go back years (decades?) of draft predictions to cherry pick one or two someone may have gotten wrong to discredit a person's work? I have far more respect for someone who endlessly breaks down tape and studies the intricacies of every prospect and develops opinions only to be wrong every once in a while, than I do for the guy sitting on the sidelines pointing it out.

Besides, if the draft and talent evaluation were an exact science, sports (hell the whole world) would be an entirely different landscape. It's impossible to put in the amount of work studying all these prospects as TMC does and be spot on with future predictions for everyone every single time. It's really bizarre to think that a couple cherry-picked examples somehow undoes all of that.

I don't really care for it myself. I do not view what I write as being any more intuitive than any other board member on any other board. Look, I wasn't a big fan of Bud Dupree. I wanted Byron Jones. In the 2nd, I would have taken Owa Odigzuma. He basically just came out and said he was stepping away from football after two injury plagued seasons. Dupree is blossoming. If they get anything out of Golson in the slot, then the way they went is vastly better than the way I went. Sure, we would have had a pair of safeties, but we would still need a CB and two edge rushers right now. Well, hell, that isn't better than where we are. At best, it is slightly behind. So, I am far from infallible. Far from it.

And, bringing up guys from 13 years ago doesn't really bother me either. I didn't like Phillip Rivers. As I said, still don't. Other than having great stats, I'm not sure what he has done to make him a great NFL QB. He damn sure hasn't put his team on his back and drug them into the playoffs. Hell, Eli isn't that hot either, but he has two rings. I don't see Rivers as much more than Kerry Collins. I damn sure don't see him as being as big a threat as I do a guy like Carson Palmer, and Kimo destroyed his knee. I still view him as a bigger threat. It is what it is. I guess the difference is, I'm not running from being wrong. I am wrong plenty.

I just want to talk football.

The steelers have been removing the NT when they go nickel, so they have needed two 3 down ILBs. But with them letting Timmons leave, i think it will now be the ILB who comes off for the extra DB. If that's the case then i think they are fine with Williams or Matakevich playing next to Shazier on run downs.

The only ILB i like is the kid from Vanderbilt, who would have to be the 1st round pick. All the rest are guys like Boulware from Clemson or Bullough from Mich State, who are like Matakevich and can be had late.

I agree. And, if you remember LeBeau's last season and Shazier's first year, since Shazier was injured, on passing downs, they were walking Polamalu down into the box as a $backer. It wasn't as effective as they liked, but they did it. They did it behind 2 DL and 2 DEs though, with 5 other DBs. I'm thinking they tweak that even more, keep Hargrave in with Heyward and Tuitt. You stack the OLBs outside of that and Shazier in the middle. Then, you walk a big safety down, still have your 2-CBs and 2-safeties.

So, that is more of your base, fine against the pass because you have 5-DBs and Shazier in coverage. Still strong against the run because they are basically running a 5-man line. It is because you have an ILB that runs a sub-4.4 that you can do this. Shazier provides coverage and run stopping. If you get a big safety that can cover and hit, then you have something. They can negate most offensive sets, including the 2-TE that has killed the Steelers in the past.