• Please be aware we've switched the forums to their own URL. (again) You'll find the new website address to be www.steelernationforum.com Thanks
  • Please clear your private messages. Your inbox is close to being full.

2017 NFL Draft Q&A

Thanks for the opinion on Henderson.

I have been looking at RB's today and what are your thoughts on Jeremy McNichols from Boise, Aaron Jones from UTEP, and Tarik Cohen from North Carolina A&T?

----

Obviously I don't like any of these guys early in the draft...

Tarik Cohen is a guy that should fall in the later rounds. He isn't tall (5'6") and comes in under the dreaded 180 pound mark, but he is close at 179. The difference with Cohen, he runs like he thinks he is a big back. Tough, doesn't want to go down. Great receiver out of the backfield, looks like a small slot receiver when he splits wide. He'll run inside and has the speed to test the edges. I like how he runs behind his pads. I'm really not a fan of backs under 180, but if I can get Cohen in the 6th/7th, I think he is worth that risk. At worst, I think he can return kicks and play as a 3rd down back/slot receiver. Now, he did not return but 1 kick and 1 punt in college, but he did both in high school. It should be noted that NCA&T had two guys, Tony McRae and Khris Gardin, who were monster return guys. But, Cohen is a tough little runner and he just looks so natural in the slot as a receiver. I think if he struggled as a back, you can find value with him as a receiver. And, he might go undrafted...and I like him a lot better then.

As for McNichols, I'm not a fan. He doesn't break many tackles. He struggles in pass pro. He doesn't run complex routes as a receiver. He has a decent jump cut and runs well into creases, but I don't see him as being a factor in the NFL. I watched 2 of his games and was so disinterested, I kind of gave up on him. He just never seemed to jump off the film in any area.

Aaron Jones is a tough scout. His OL is fair, but his QB is pure garbage. He wiggles through some holes and can be elusive. He runs to daylight, kind of like Willie Parker did. Nice speed. Looks faster than he times. Used as a receiver, lined up in a variety of places, hard to say how well he catches because his QB made Kordell Stewart look like Peyton Manning. Not a great blocker, but he will stick his nose in it and put his helmet under the chin of guys. I think he goes undrafted, but he should be a priority free agent.

Coach, this isn't a competition, and it isn't your thread. We don't care about your past picks. Only you seem to.

Knock it off because the board would prefer any TMC thread over any Coach thread. So pump the breaks and let us enjoy a great football discussion.

Coach, this isn't a competition, and it isn't your thread. We don't care about your past picks. Only you seem to.

Knock it off because the board would prefer any TMC thread over any Coach thread. So pump the breaks and let us enjoy a great football discussion.
Coach read this again

Your barking is pointless, I liked Awuzie a lot before you reappeared.

The ******* idiot is you, you have no clue as to the value of certain pistons and how the draft falls.

You like Rivers in round two? Your track record on the surname isn't the best :)

Like I said if you want a corner with starting traits, its got to be early for us in 2017. At least you got that right.

Please vet this.....you have so many Topics created its tiresome to try and see if its valid.

Also, what is this draft from NFL.com? Is it from an analyst or one of their generated mocks using the team needs engine?

How do the value of pistons have anything to do with the draft? FYI....proofread before you try to argue with competent members. They really expose your insecurity of not being taken seriously.

I'm kind of purposely staying out of the thread because it's about TMC and people asking HIM questions. Not me. Sorry Coach, but there are some posts that you purposely seem to be picking a fight and highjacking the thread. I haven't agreed with everything TMC has said during all his answers, but I'm not about to jump down his throat and go back-and-forth for 10 posts trying to prove my dick is bigger.

When someone wants my opinion, they know where to find me. And I leave it at that.

but
I'm not against that. You don't get the benefit from him much this season, I'm thinking week 8 a the earliest, then you have a first round corner taken in the 3rd. Of course, that all depends on who else is on the board, but I am not against taking Jones. It is a risk, like with Lattimore and you could end up never seeing him on the field, but if he returns, you have two press corners that are long and can run.
If only Coach could read...
So you agree with me that 10-12 corners will be gone by pick #60. Common ground has been achieved.

Now, lets use the 2016 draft as a template. By pick #94 ( which is where we pick in round three ) FOURTEEN Corners were off the board. This year, I'll predict there will be 14 or more taken BEFORE we pick in round three.

Are you confident we can get a starter in round three? I am not! This is why one needs to be picked before that time. Round 2 seems right. Gay needs to be replaced due to age, and the Steelers think so highly of Cockerel he has a lowly 4th round tender. There you have it our 2nd and 3rd best corner....one is small, and slowing down, the other better suited for sub package work.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2016_NFL_Draft

Time for a vacation due to ignorance...

Coach isn't a bother. I just think he has something to prove, not sure to whom, be it someone here or maybe himself, but that is okay. I guess the difference is, I go into this knowing I'll be wrong and don't mind saying it after the fact. I thought Troy Polamalu's injury history at USC would bite him in the ***. It never did, he was brilliant, and I was wrong. It will happen this year. I have a habit of weeding out guys that I'm iffy on. Some turn out. But, it keeps me from blowing early draft picks on players because I am erring in the side of caution.

But, it really is fine. I was getting messages on facebook where he was asking for my return and Phillip Rivers continued to be in each message. It is his calling card, his one area to grind. Let him have it.

I'm kind of purposely staying out of the thread because it's about TMC and people asking HIM questions. Not me. Sorry Coach, but there are some posts that you purposely seem to be picking a fight and highjacking the thread. I haven't agreed with everything TMC has said during all his answers, but I'm not about to jump down his throat and go back-and-forth for 10 posts trying to prove my dick is bigger.

When someone wants my opinion, they know where to find me. And I leave it at that.

I'm really not trying to pick a fight and I really welcome the talk about players. Look, I get his premise. He is basically stating that if you want a starting corner, you have to take one in the first two rounds. I just don't agree. It is the deepest CB draft that I think I have ever seen. History shows that starting corners are found after the 2nd in every draft. It is truly every draft. So, I'm just not buying that you cannot pull a starting corner from the 3rd down. Will the corners taken in the top 60 be better? They should be. It won't work out that way because some of them will bust, but logically, they should be better.

I'm just not one to lock onto a singular position in a single round. I believe you have to see how the draft breaks and take the talent. I'm not buying that if we draft a CB in the top 60 that he is instantly a starter or better than the guy taken in the 3rd. What if teams go crazy and take 20 corners in the first 50 picks, is the CB available at #62 then an instant starter because he was taken in the top 60? That is the basic premise of stating we have to take X position by Y selection. You evaluate your players, like you did this year, stack the board, and if you are smart, stay as true to that evaluation as you can.

coach is just a bit of an attention *****, it muust be carving him inside that this thread is goinig 16 pages and no one is asking for his opinion, I see it as jealousy of TMC, he probably is an only child and demands a lot of attention.

Personally? I love discussing opinions on different players, potential ways the draft can go, etc. Even from Coach, just wish he could be less intense.

Back on topic....

TMC from your sources do you see a settling of the hierarchy regarding the CBs and DE/OLB? You mentioned you follow CBS draftscout...is everyone still all over the place or are things now getting predominantly in order from a position stack? I mean I saw on one site Tabor is falling into the 3rd. Was his pro day that bad that would cause that kind of drop? I know sometimes clubs or agents leak stuff anonymously....but really?

Sent from my iPad using Steeler Nation mobile app

Back on topic....

TMC from your sources do you see a settling of the hierarchy regarding the CBs and DE/OLB? You mentioned you follow CBS draftscout...is everyone still all over the place or are things now getting predominantly in order from a position stack? I mean I saw on one site Tabor is falling into the 3rd. Was his pro day that bad that would cause that kind of drop? I know sometimes clubs or agents leak stuff anonymously....but really?

Sent from my iPad using Steeler Nation mobile app

Tabor's official 40-time is a 4.62 and that is what team's will have him down as unless he goes to a private workout and runs better. You always get the best time. Now, rumor is he gutted out his 40 at his pro day with a hamstring issue. If it is true, it discounts his poor pro day time, but it also brings up a question as to the severity of the hamstring issue. Either way, he is going to get dinged some. In another draft where the corners are not deep, he probably hangs in the 2nd round, but this draft is so strong.

I have not built a big board this year, probably won't because I just don't have that kind of time to invest, but NFL.com is one of the few sites that offer player grades for free. Here is the link:
http://www.nfl.com/draft/2017/track...t-tabs:dt-by-position/dt-by-position-input:cb

That is for corners. Now, here are the corners they rank 5.7 or above (and 5.7 in their grading scale is "Could become early NFL starter". They rank Marshon Lattimore, Marlon Humphrey, Tre'Davious White, Gareon Conley, Adoree Jackson, Sidney Jones, Chidobe Awuzie, Rasul Douglas, Quincy Wilson, Cordrea Tankersley, Fabian Moreau, Teez Tabor, Cameron Sutton, Jourdan Lewis, and Ahkello Witherspoon above that. They don't have Kevin King or Howard Wilson there and I think both could be in that group. I don't see much difference in Wilson's game and WJIII on film. Of course, WJIII ran better in shorts, but both play at a high level. So, that is 15 corners they think could be early NFL starters. If you go to LB and DL and pick out the edge guys, here is the list of "pass rushers" ranking 5.7 and above: TJ Watt, Tyus Bowser, Ryan Anderson, Myles Garrett, Soloman Thomas, Taco Charlton, Haason Reddick, Takk McKinley, Derek Barnett, Tim Williams, Charles Harris, and Jordan Willis. I'd say that Carl Lawson, Derek Rivers, and Demarcus Walker could be in that group as well. So, they have 12 edge rushers in that group. Still that is 27 players at 2 positions if you use their count. If you add in the extra 5 I added, it is a full round of the draft.

The numbers of other positions carrying grades over 5.7:
Quarterback-5
Runningback-6
Wide Receiver-10
Tightend-7
OL-10
DL (not edge rushers)-5
LB (not edge rushers)-5
S-10
That is 58. So, you are looking at NFL.com having 90 players they feel can be early NFL starters. That is why everyone is wanting as many picks in the top 100 as they can get. But, here is something you have to consider...I watched a lot of Colorado game tape with their defense because they have Awuzie, Witherspoon, and Tedric Thompson in that secondary. Just like Washington with their three and Florida with their three. When teams have that many, you really have to pay attention because three great talents can cover each others warts. I like Awuzie a ton. I also like Tedric Thompson more than I like Witherspoon. He and Awuzie held that defense together. They communicate well. They understand what they are doing. They just handled things so easily with switches and changing defenses. Tedric Thompson isn't on that list. In fact, their top rated safety is Hooker, then Adams, then Budda Baker. After Baker, it is Josh Jones, the other Steeler visit. Then it is Marcus Mayes, the Florida safety with Justin Evans and Marcus Williams. Obi Melinfonwu is in the next group tied with John Johnson of BC and Desmond King. Most have Johnson in the 4th. Marcus Mayes is generally thought of in the 3rd. Tedric Thompson comes in the next group as a back with potential to start. You have guys like Delano Hills, Jadar Johnson, and Rayshawn Jenkins coming in with a 5.4 grade. Last year, Sean Davis was listed with the CBs but was given a 5.5 grade. Justin Simmons went in the 3rd to the Broncos with a 5.5. In fact, only 2 safeties ranked ahead above a 5.5 (none were 5.4s) were not taken in the 3rd or higher and they were Miles Killebrew and DeAndre Houston-Carson. The highest rated safety last year was Karl Joseph, a 5097 safety that was injured. This year, three corners are at 5.9 or better (and Peppers is listed with the LBs). Keanu Neal was a 5.8 in 2016 and Von Bell was a 5.6. This year, 4 safeties carry the 5.8 grade, so where there were 2 last draft, there are 8 this year. Ten carry grades better than Von Bell.

It is just deep. Deep. To think we cannot find quality players in the 3rd this year is laughable when they drafted Javon Hargrave in the 3rd last year. Again, the key is picking the talent and staying ahead of the trends. You don't want to be forcing picks, taking the top red chip guy if there is blue chip talent at another position.

Coach you aren't representing yourself well in this thread. Maybe ease up and troll another thread.

Don't listen to them, Coach. Keep going...

giphy.gif

******* this ^^^^^^

Tabor's official 40-time is a 4.62 and that is what team's will have him down as unless he goes to a private workout and runs better. You always get the best time. Now, rumor is he gutted out his 40 at his pro day with a hamstring issue. If it is true, it discounts his poor pro day time, but it also brings up a question as to the severity of the hamstring issue. Either way, he is going to get dinged some. In another draft where the corners are not deep, he probably hangs in the 2nd round, but this draft is so strong.

I have not built a big board this year, probably won't because I just don't have that kind of time to invest, but NFL.com is one of the few sites that offer player grades for free. Here is the link:
http://www.nfl.com/draft/2017/track...t-tabs:dt-by-position/dt-by-position-input:cb

That is for corners. Now, here are the corners they rank 5.7 or above (and 5.7 in their grading scale is "Could become early NFL starter". They rank Marshon Lattimore, Marlon Humphrey, Tre'Davious White, Gareon Conley, Adoree Jackson, Sidney Jones, Chidobe Awuzie, Rasul Douglas, Quincy Wilson, Cordrea Tankersley, Fabian Moreau, Teez Tabor, Cameron Sutton, Jourdan Lewis, and Ahkello Witherspoon above that. They don't have Kevin King or Howard Wilson there and I think both could be in that group. I don't see much difference in Wilson's game and WJIII on film. Of course, WJIII ran better in shorts, but both play at a high level. So, that is 15 corners they think could be early NFL starters. If you go to LB and DL and pick out the edge guys, here is the list of "pass rushers" ranking 5.7 and above: TJ Watt, Tyus Bowser, Ryan Anderson, Myles Garrett, Soloman Thomas, Taco Charlton, Haason Reddick, Takk McKinley, Derek Barnett, Tim Williams, Charles Harris, and Jordan Willis. I'd say that Carl Lawson, Derek Rivers, and Demarcus Walker could be in that group as well. So, they have 12 edge rushers in that group. Still that is 27 players at 2 positions if you use their count. If you add in the extra 5 I added, it is a full round of the draft.

The numbers of other positions carrying grades over 5.7:
Quarterback-5
Runningback-6
Wide Receiver-10
Tightend-7
OL-10
DL (not edge rushers)-5
LB (not edge rushers)-5
S-10
That is 58. So, you are looking at NFL.com having 90 players they feel can be early NFL starters. That is why everyone is wanting as many picks in the top 100 as they can get. But, here is something you have to consider...I watched a lot of Colorado game tape with their defense because they have Awuzie, Witherspoon, and Tedric Thompson in that secondary. Just like Washington with their three and Florida with their three. When teams have that many, you really have to pay attention because three great talents can cover each others warts. I like Awuzie a ton. I also like Tedric Thompson more than I like Witherspoon. He and Awuzie held that defense together. They communicate well. They understand what they are doing. They just handled things so easily with switches and changing defenses. Tedric Thompson isn't on that list. In fact, their top rated safety is Hooker, then Adams, then Budda Baker. After Baker, it is Josh Jones, the other Steeler visit. Then it is Marcus Mayes, the Florida safety with Justin Evans and Marcus Williams. Obi Melinfonwu is in the next group tied with John Johnson of BC and Desmond King. Most have Johnson in the 4th. Marcus Mayes is generally thought of in the 3rd. Tedric Thompson comes in the next group as a back with potential to start. You have guys like Delano Hills, Jadar Johnson, and Rayshawn Jenkins coming in with a 5.4 grade. Last year, Sean Davis was listed with the CBs but was given a 5.5 grade. Justin Simmons went in the 3rd to the Broncos with a 5.5. In fact, only 2 safeties ranked ahead above a 5.5 (none were 5.4s) were not taken in the 3rd or higher and they were Miles Killebrew and DeAndre Houston-Carson. The highest rated safety last year was Karl Joseph, a 5097 safety that was injured. This year, three corners are at 5.9 or better (and Peppers is listed with the LBs). Keanu Neal was a 5.8 in 2016 and Von Bell was a 5.6. This year, 4 safeties carry the 5.8 grade, so where there were 2 last draft, there are 8 this year. Ten carry grades better than Von Bell.

It is just deep. Deep. To think we cannot find quality players in the 3rd this year is laughable when they drafted Javon Hargrave in the 3rd last year. Again, the key is picking the talent and staying ahead of the trends. You don't want to be forcing picks, taking the top red chip guy if there is blue chip talent at another position.

For me I see the value you and Del and other places represent at the Steelers positions of need.

I could really in 1 see them go BPA at CB/OLB/FS/WR/TE based on what value I think is sitting there.

Is this how you see it too, or is there another position you would throw in at 1 or even take off from the list.

I really don't have issue with Coach making statements in this thread. And, I really don't have an issue with differing opinions. If he made the statement that he thought our best course of action was to draft a DB (and I say DB because there are some safeties that could play nickel or corner) in the first, then nab a pass rusher in the second, the I probably would agree. If he stated that IF we wanted to secure a quality edge rusher and CB in this draft, our best chances were in rounds 1/2, then I would agree. But, to state that you cannot find a starting corner outside of the first two rounds just isn't a premise that I think I believe. History has shown otherwise in drafts that lack the talent at the DB position that this draft has. The sheer level of quality at the CB and safety positions in this draft should carry deeper than in previous drafts, even if more total players are selected at the position. I just don't accept that because 14 corners were taken prior to pick #94 in 2016 that it means 14 will be taken this year by that point. It could happen, but the draft is also strong at S,TE, RB, WR, DL, and LB...so more of those players could be taken as well, meaning we are not seeing the gold rush at CB. At #94, we could be sitting at the 14 best CB taken again, right on the tail end of that good group of corners. It is so difficult to predict who might be there until players start leaving the board. The only certainty I think I know is Myles Garrett goes #1. After that, it is a crap shoot.

So, I'll agree that a CB taken in R1 should have a better chance to start than one taken in R2. A CB taken in R2 has a better chance to start than one in R3 and so forth. But, there will be starters found in R3 down...we just have to do our due diligence and be the team that finds the Ike Taylor or Richard Sherman in this draft. And, again, I am not against doing what Carolina did a few years ago and drafting multiple DBs, because this draft is heavy at CB and S. Why not get as many as you can. Mitchell is turning 30. William Gay is 32. Cockrell is a decent player, but I don't think he is a guy you want going forward. Golson is still an unknown. We have places we can put TALENT, but it has to be talent and not bodies. I am all for putting players to the test by bringing in competition and we can use competition at RB, QB, TE, WR, OLB, DE, DT, ILB, CB, and S. The only spot that I feel has good quality starters and good depth is the OL, and we really could still add a tackle since one retired. So, if you are not a locked in starter, your *** should be on the edge of your chair during the draft. And, I'm not afraid to pull the trigger on ANY spot in the first round.

For me I see the value you and Del and other places represent at the Steelers positions of need.

I could really in 1 see them go BPA at CB/OLB/FS/WR/TE based on what value I think is sitting there.

Is this how you see it too, or is there another position you would throw in at 1 or even take off from the list.

I just kind of hit on that in the post I just made, but really look at the whole roster. At QB, Ben is nearing retirement and Jones is signed for 2 years. So, you could draft a QB in round 1 if you think the guy is that talented. At RB, Bell is on the tag, but there is nothing behind him and if you can grab a guy like McCaffery, who works very well out of the slot, why not? He is your #2 RB and works as a receiver and return guy. At WR, if Corey Davis is there, are we good enough with the group we had last year? Nope. And, if Bryant comes back, IF, then we are better, but that is IF. IFs suck. So, why not? The OL is about the only spot I think you can avoid a 1st round pick, but the OL sucks in this draft. We could draft a #1 TE because of the uncertainty of Green and we could actually use 2 TE sets. I'm not so sure I go DE, but if we want to rotate guys and run more nickel where we are grinding on 2 big DL, sure. Same with NT as long as he can rush the passer, like Hargrave. I can live with that. We have a hole at ILB and Harrison isn't Benjamin Button, so either spot. Of course we could go there with CB. I think with Mitchell turning 30 soon and only having 2 years left, we could add a safety. If he can cover the slot, we use him there early and then slide him to FS later.

So, not many positions I rule out in the first. I just think the big value is at DB, edge rusher, WR, and TE (as the top 3 RBs likely go inside the top 20).

TMC glad your back! What people really want to know but won't ask is What are you having for dinner and does your lunch effect your choice. Also how good is a RB kid out of Toledo?

TMC, thoughts on Jake Butt? Would love to see him in black and gold. Think he's there at the back end of R3?

Tarik Cohen is a guy that should fall in the later rounds. He isn't tall (5'6") and comes in under the dreaded 180 pound mark, but he is close at 179. The difference with Cohen, he runs like he thinks he is a big back. Tough, doesn't want to go down. Great receiver out of the backfield, looks like a small slot receiver when he splits wide. He'll run inside and has the speed to test the edges. I like how he runs behind his pads. I'm really not a fan of backs under 180, but if I can get Cohen in the 6th/7th, I think he is worth that risk. At worst, I think he can return kicks and play as a 3rd down back/slot receiver. Now, he did not return but 1 kick and 1 punt in college, but he did both in high school. It should be noted that NCA&T had two guys, Tony McRae and Khris Gardin, who were monster return guys. But, Cohen is a tough little runner and he just looks so natural in the slot as a receiver. I think if he struggled as a back, you can find value with him as a receiver. And, he might go undrafted...and I like him a lot better then.

As for McNichols, I'm not a fan. He doesn't break many tackles. He struggles in pass pro. He doesn't run complex routes as a receiver. He has a decent jump cut and runs well into creases, but I don't see him as being a factor in the NFL. I watched 2 of his games and was so disinterested, I kind of gave up on him. He just never seemed to jump off the film in any area.

Aaron Jones is a tough scout. His OL is fair, but his QB is pure garbage. He wiggles through some holes and can be elusive. He runs to daylight, kind of like Willie Parker did. Nice speed. Looks faster than he times. Used as a receiver, lined up in a variety of places, hard to say how well he catches because his QB made Kordell Stewart look like Peyton Manning. Not a great blocker, but he will stick his nose in it and put his helmet under the chin of guys. I think he goes undrafted, but he should be a priority free agent.

I am a little surprised you like Cohen to be honest. I personally like Jones and McNichols about the same but for different reasons. Cohen to me is only going to be your third down or change of pace back but as Darren Sproles and Danny Woodhead have proved those guys are very valuable to an offense. I like Cohens hands, speed, and elusiveness but being so little it doesn't take much to knock him on his butt. It just takes work to get your hands on him.

I like Jones better when it comes to vision and hitting the hole up the middle. He seems to see his blocks develop and isn't afraid to run up the gut and challenge LB's. He (IMO) has very good hands. Never really ran complex routes but if he gets his hands on the ball it seems to stick.

McNichols in my opinion tries to break it too much to the outside. He has NFL speed and is definitely faster than Jones but Jones seems to understand you have to run up the middle and can't always bounce it to the outside. McNichols tries to use his speed too much for the NFL. Things he got away with in College he won't against NFL backers, DE's and CB's. They will stretch the play out and take him down for a loss. But if you could teach him to run up the middle I feel he has the potential to be an every down back and actually elite.

So I guess what I feel if you are set on long term for Bell then you don't take McNichols. If you aren't I would be ok with him late in the draft but not the 4th I see he is rated. I think 5th-7th is a good value for him and Jones. If you want a backup assuming you feel Bell is suspended and hurt too much I feel Jones is a guy that comes in and gives you 3.5 - 4.0 ypc and can be used in the passing game. If you feel you are set at backup RB I then take Cohen as a change of pace, return man, third down guy you can plug into several spots or specific plays and try to get him in space for a big play.

Value wise I think they are all about the same. I would not take any 4th but would be very happy with any 7th.

Mike Lombardi once said "Scouting is more about elimination, than finding players".

When TMC (or even I) say we like somebody, that might just mean we haven't mentally eliminated them from our board almost completely. Some guys just won't fit or the reward isn't worth the risk/cost of a pick in our opinion. Professional GM's are making these decisions constantly. Saying we like Cohen (I kind of like him too) doesn't necessarily mean he's on our board super high, it just means he's still on our board at all.

Even once you stack the board, what you've done previously in the draft can dictate picking a late round RB. If we stack the board with RB's being of real interest in round 4-5, Cohen might never get picked in round 6-7 because we've already selected one and turn instead into a potential undrafted free agent. It just kind of happens that way.

This is a pretty deep RB draft, particularly in rounds 3 to 5. If we don't pick one then, Cohen might come into play, but I suspect the depth of the class will always kind of have a guy we like ahead of Cohen except in the most odd of circumstance. We will see.

Mike Lombardi once said "Scouting is more about elimination, than finding players".

When TMC (or even I) say we like somebody, that might just mean we haven't mentally eliminated them from our board almost completely. Some guys just won't fit or the reward isn't worth the risk/cost of a pick in our opinion. Professional GM's are making these decisions constantly. Saying we like Cohen (I kind of like him too) doesn't necessarily mean he's on our board super high, it just means he's still on our board at all.

Even once you stack the board, what you've done previously in the draft can dictate picking a late round RB. If we stack the board with RB's being of real interest in round 4-5, Cohen might never get picked in round 6-7 because we've already selected one and turn instead into a potential undrafted free agent. It just kind of happens that way.

This is a pretty deep RB draft, particularly in rounds 3 to 5. If we don't pick one then, Cohen might come into play, but I suspect the depth of the class will always kind of have a guy we like ahead of Cohen except in the most odd of circumstance. We will see.

I know I am just asking questions about opinions and then stating mind. It is nice to bounce questions off someone else and see what they see or think on a player. None of us are professional GM's and even though some take it more serious and consume more time on it than others I doubt if you added up the entire Steeler Nation board we do 1/10 the research the Steelers FO does. I used to spend a lot more time going through 20-30 players at the position and picking my top 5-10. Now I really just enjoy looking for the "steal" in the later rounds. Guys I feel would fit nicely in with the team and system but is rated a 4th or later value. I do a mock along mock which is always fun to go back on 3-4 years later. Some years I do very well, some years it looks like I did but 3 years later my draft sucks and the Steelers is head and shoulders better. But as I stated I don't have the time to get real deep anymore. Doesn't mean I don't enjoy talking about it and seeing what others think of certain players.

Switched it up to defense today. Even though we have VW we are still light (imo) at ILB. What are your thoughts on Jordan Evans Oklahoma and Hardy Nickerson Jr. from Illinois?

TMC glad your back! What people really want to know but won't ask is What are you having for dinner and does your lunch effect your choice. Also how good is a RB kid out of Toledo?

I like Kareem Hunt well enough. Decent receiver with a limited route tree (I think he can develop there though). He runs behind his pads, decent inside, can bounce. I think he has a shot as a backup RB in the league at the very least. He could surprise though. I'm in with him after the 3rd.

TMC, thoughts on Jake Butt? Would love to see him in black and gold. Think he's there at the back end of R3?

Good film, but his overall athleticism is a question. Is he athletic enough? He could be Heath Miller, might be Jesse James. I would have loved to get some firm numbers on him. Good film though

Switched it up to defense today. Even though we have VW we are still light (imo) at ILB. What are your thoughts on Jordan Evans Oklahoma and Hardy Nickerson Jr. from Illinois?

I think Evans tried to be an interior thumper, played like he is a big ILB, but got bounced around some. Better at slipping and working to blocks. Could be decent in coverage, would have liked to see more. I'd take a flier on him later if I have not found what I wanted early. Not sure he will ever develop, but I'm not sure he won't. Nickerson doesn't look athletic on film. He can struggle to shed blockers. He is iffy in coverage. I don't see much there. If he goes undrafted, might camp him but I won't spend a pick.