• Please be aware we've switched the forums to their own URL. (again) You'll find the new website address to be www.steelernationforum.com Thanks
  • Please clear your private messages. Your inbox is close to being full.

2017 NFL Draft Q&A

I think Evans tried to be an interior thumper, played like he is a big ILB, but got bounced around some. Better at slipping and working to blocks. Could be decent in coverage, would have liked to see more. I'd take a flier on him later if I have not found what I wanted early. Not sure he will ever develop, but I'm not sure he won't. Nickerson doesn't look athletic on film. He can struggle to shed blockers. He is iffy in coverage. I don't see much there. If he goes undrafted, might camp him but I won't spend a pick.

Not a huge Nickerson fan but he has the pedigree. Evans I think has upside as he has speed, length, athleticism. Could use some more power I agree on that but in a pass happy NFL I feel guys who can cover are becoming more important than guys who stop the run. The guy I like for the value would be Anthony Walker Jr from Northwestern. I don't see him as a super star ILB but I see him as a guy who could easily lead the team in tackles, is always around the ball, can cover better than expected, and has no real "hole" in his game. I see he is rated a 3rd or 4th round prospect and if the Steelers get their edge guy and CB I would be fine taking Walker with one of our third round picks.

EGADS! I was reading this morning and came across a PFF 3-round mock draft... Steelers as follows:

30. Tim Williams, OLB
62. Corn Elder, CB
94. Brad Kaaya, QB
105. Jeremy Sprinkle, TE

I think I would have to slam my head in a door... for about an hour! UGH.

TMC? Please help walk me in off the ledge.

EGADS! I was reading this morning and came across a PFF 3-round mock draft... Steelers as follows:

30. Tim Williams, OLB
62. Corn Elder, CB
94. Brad Kaaya, QB
105. Jeremy Sprinkle, TE

Round too high for Corn IMO, Williams just has too many red flags. Steelers tend to stay away from problem children in 1. Don't like Kaaya at all. For me the 4th pick is doable, otherwise no thanks.

30. Tim Williams, OLB
62. Corn Elder, CB
94. Brad Kaaya, QB
105. Jeremy Sprinkle, TE

You put another edge player like Watt or McKinley or Lawson in there instead of Williams (we aren't drafting him) and I could easily see that happen. Would look like a 2008-2009 type draft where we threw a pick at Tomlin, then Lebeau got his shot, then Arians to make everyone happy.

I wouldn't like it but I could see it happening. Elder looks like a William Gay clone.

Corn ahead of late third? No way

I tellya the name at least has potential within our CBs...

Remember when Corn-ing your Elder, makes Sens-a-bragh that Gay/****/Burns.

Or the players could get creative and put their shirts on their head walking around saying....

tumblr_m6cog2YgDw1ro7a9so1_500.gif

the possibilities are endless

30. Tim Williams, OLB
62. Corn Elder, CB
94. Brad Kaaya, QB
105. Jeremy Sprinkle, TE

I don't think Tim Williams is on the Steelers draft board. He admitted to failing several drug tests and then had the incident with the weapon in the car, which was found because police smelled a strong odor of marijuana. They also found marijuana in the car but another passenger too the rap on that. Jeremy Sprinkle got in trouble when they went to the Belk Bowl. They gave them $300 (or so) in a shopping spree and he was caught shoplifting more items. So, I doubt that knucklehead goes in the 3rd. With all the long corners in the draft, doubt Elder goes that high. I'm not a Kaaya fan, don't know if they are either. His tendency to throw off his back foot when he gets pressured is kind of alarming. Not sure any of those guys fit in those rounds.

I don't think Tim Williams is on the Steelers draft board. He admitted to failing several drug tests and then had the incident with the weapon in the car, which was found because police smelled a strong odor of marijuana. They also found marijuana in the car but another passenger too the rap on that. Jeremy Sprinkle got in trouble when they went to the Belk Bowl. They gave them $300 (or so) in a shopping spree and he was caught shoplifting more items. So, I doubt that knucklehead goes in the 3rd. With all the long corners in the draft, doubt Elder goes that high. I'm not a Kaaya fan, don't know if they are either. His tendency to throw off his back foot when he gets pressured is kind of alarming. Not sure any of those guys fit in those rounds.

Sprinkle him some money and whats he do? pulls a Winona Ryder

SMH

I didn't know he did that, learn something new everyday..........

Another defensive question. So what do you think of Sidney Jones? If he's sitting there with the Steelers comp pick are you pulling the trigger?

Two guys I think aren't getting any love which I like is Shaquill Griffin and Jalen Myrick. Thoughts on those guys?

Another defensive question. So what do you think of Sidney Jones? If he's sitting there with the Steelers comp pick are you pulling the trigger?

Two guys I think aren't getting any love which I like is Shaquill Griffin and Jalen Myrick. Thoughts on those guys?

think that was touched on in this thread, a third I believe was mentioned as a yes...

Wrong thread

Last edited:

If my medical team tells me they think he can fully recover from his injury, yes. In fact, in the 2nd, if there are not any comparable players, I'm not against taking him then. Here is how I view it....take a guy like TJ Watt, I think he is a year away from being NFL ready, maybe 2 away from being a full-time starter. I think he has to play with more power at the point to count on him as a full-time starter. If Jones was not injured, I think he could be starting within the first 8 weeks of his rookie season, so after the injury, he should start logging minutes. So, if he sees some minutes in the final 8 games and is full go ready to start in Y2, how is that any different than a guy that needs a year to acclimate? So, if my medical team checks off, I'm all in. Now, do I think there will be healthy comparable talent available in the 2nd? Yeah, probably. So, I think the 3rd is about right, don't think he makes it to us though. If things broke the way I would like, we would see Chidobe Awuzie/Budda Baker and an edge rusher early and then you could nab Jones in the 3rd (and I would probably just do it with the first choice). Then, by week 8, I have a slot that has been hammering away all season and an edge that can step in and give me minutes as we roll towards the playoffs. I'd take that right now.

As for Shaquill Griffin, I think he is a solid height/weight/speed guy that could develop nicely into a quality NFL player, potentially a starter. He could have easily attended college at a Power-5 school but stayed at UCF because they offered his brother, who was one of the top tacklers for them this season. His brother did not get a ton of offers because he only has one hand. Good kid. Athletic. Needs coaching bad.

Myrick is an enigma wrapped in a riddle. Great speed. Small. He is only 5095. So, you would think he could move inside, horrible in zones, stiff hipped for a smaller guy, doesn't open and run well, needs that speed to recover. He needs to stay outside where the routes are not breaking in two directions, but his size is such an issue. I just don't quite know how to use him. I mean, ideally, a smaller corner like that is loose and quick, can change directions and run with most receivers, so you can bounce them inside, but not Myrick. He moves like a big corner, but he can get pushed around. I just think there are better players out there, might be more unpolished, but they are better athletes with bigger upside.

Yeah, second would be tough to take Jones this year as we have needs and hoping you fill them with a later pick might bite you back.

I'd be cool going as high as our comp pick on Griffin depending on how the draft went but would prefer him round 4. Round 5 imo would be a steal.

Jalen Myrick is probably going to be a 6th or 7th round pick that will at the very least give you nice depth but I would not be surprised 2-3 years from now if he wasn't starting. I agree he's a little stiff but he's gritty and not afraid to mix it up with the receiver.

And, I'm not one to draft a QB wondering if my franchise is leaving. I am fine with going with Landry Jones a season, taking my beating, and drafting in the top 10.

Ben's leaving, it's just a matter of how soon. If the Patriots can draft Garrapolo in the 2nd three years ago, I think the Steelers can draft a QB in the 2nd (or 1st) this year. And the pick might pay off even before Ben leaves.

Ben's leaving, it's just a matter of how soon. If the Patriots can draft Garrapolo in the 2nd three years ago, I think the Steelers can draft a QB in the 2nd (or 1st) this year. And the pick might pay off even before Ben leaves.

I don't think it is about what round to draft one, I think it is about what they view as a franchise QB. And if none of them early are viewed as that, then they shouldn't pick one.

I do they they look at value and won't fall into that trap.

In a weak class you don't want to Troy Edwards yourself a QB.

How do we even know Garrapolo is that good? Just because Cleveland loves him? That's not a reason.

Most of these "brilliant QB's" Bellichick has drafted and got ransoms for in trades haven't been that great. So why is Garrapolo the second coming of Brady all of a sudden?

You stack your board and move on. The only guy in this class I would draft at #30 is Trabinski. The only guy at pick #62 is Watson. The only guy at pick #94 is Kizer (and even I'm not sure of that). The only guys in round 4 would be Kaaya and Mahomes and maybe Davis.

Will any of that happen? I doubt it. So you move on. Will the Steelers stack their board like me? Maybe, maybe not. We will see.

I don't think it is about what round to draft one, I think it is about what they view as a franchise QB. And if none of them early are viewed as that, then they shouldn't pick one.

I do they they look at value and won't fall into that trap.

In a weak class you don't want to Troy Edwards yourself a QB.

If Brady, Rogers, Wilson and Bridgewater had been high first round picks, I'd more easily agree with that

How do we even know Garrapolo is that good? Just because Cleveland loves him? That's not a reason.

What does that have to do with anything? The Steelers won't be drafting Garrapolo. The point is, it didn't keep the Pats from winning a Super Bowl.

And that is fine for you to think that. I do not agree. I went back and took a look at every QB draft since 2000 and while there were some quality QBs taken outside the first round, I found that those quality players usually come in drafts where there is talent at the top, meaning either QBs taken #1 overall or there are several quality prospects taken in the first round. Here is what I found....

In 2000, the infamous Tom Brady draft, Tom Brady and Marc Bulger were taken in the 6th round, both ended up with better careers than any other QB in the draft, including first round pick Chad Pennington. It is the single anomaly in the trends.
In 2001, Drew Brees was taken 32nd overall, which was at the top of the 2nd round, Mike Vick was the only 1st round QB taken #1 overall. The Texans came into the league the following season giving 32 teams.
In 2002, David Carr was taken #1 and Joey Harrington #3, Josh McCown and David Garrard were taken in the 3rd/4th and both started over 60 games.
In 2003, the best QB taken outside the first round was Chris Simms.
In 2004, the Eli, Ben, Rivers draft, Matt Schaub was taken in the 3rd and he started 92 games.
In 2005, this was the Alex Smith, Aaron Rodgers, Jason Campbell (all first round) draft, Kyle Orton, Matt Cassel, and Ryan Fitzpatrick were drafted in the 4th, 7th, 7th.
In 2006, Vince Young and Jay Cutler were the only QBs to start more than 35 games. Both taken in the first.
In 2007, no QB started more than 33 games.
In 2008, Matt Ryan and Flacco were taken in the first, Chad Henne was the best QB taken after that (2nd round) and he started 52 games. Ryan was taken 3rd overall, no #1 QB in the draft.
In 2009, no QB started taken outside the first started more than 10 games.
In 2010, Sam Bradford was drafted #1 overall, no QB taken after him started more than Colt McCoy's 25 games.
In 2011, four QBs went in the first with Cam Newton leading the way (#1 overall), it produced Andy Dalton, Colin Kaepernick, Ryan Mallett, and Tyrod Taylor.
In 2012, Andrew Luck draft, RGIII, also produced Russell Wilson, Kirk Cousins, and there was also Nick Foles and Brock Osweiler.
In 2013, No QB started more than 30 games, top QB was EJ Manuel. Geno Smith has the most starts. Mike Glennon is 2nd.
In 2014, this draft produced Derek Carr in the 2nd, also had Teddy Bridgewater at #32. This is the draft Garoppolo was taken and Blake Bortles as the top QB pick at #3 with 3 first round QBs. Also had Tom Savage, Aaron Murray, AJ McCarron, and Zack Mettenberger. So, pretty decent draft overall.
In 2015, Winston and Mariota went 1/2. Trevor Siemian went in the 7th. Other than that, nothing.
In 2016, The Dak Prescott draft. It also had Connor Cook, Cody Kessler, Jacoby Brissett, and Christian Hackenberg taken outside the first. It had QBs go 1/2 and 3 go in the first round.

So, this leads me to believe this, if you desire to find a QB outside of the first round, it has to be a draft that has a strong group near the top, potentially QBs that go 1/2 in the first OR 3/4 QBs drafted in the first round that forces talented QBs down into the later rounds. And, the drafts show that there are good years and horrific years. If people feel this is a strong QB draft and there is quality at the top end that allows for talent to be found in the middle or later rounds, okay.

I don't share that opinion. Right now, people think there is a possibility that the top QB does not go inside the top 2 and the 3rd best QB might not even go in the first round....that isn't a strong QB draft. I get the gamble of drafting a QB. I'd rather do it in a draft that has blackjack odds than in one where it is roulette. This is roulette.

Two of those four were first round picks.

But not high 1st round picks. The Steelers could draft the first QB this year and he could turn out to be the next Rodgers or Bridgewater. I don't see how the QB class at the top could have any causal relationship with QBs drafted later on which seems to be what you are suggesting.