• Please be aware we've switched the forums to their own URL. (again) You'll find the new website address to be www.steelernationforum.com Thanks
  • Please clear your private messages. Your inbox is close to being full.

2017 NFL Draft Q&A

Yeah. Gay was probably our best slot corner and we see how that worked out. I cannot remember whether it was Tomlin or Butler, but one of them said prior to the season that they needed to get more versatile corners. They needed guys that could walk up on the DB and press, even if they were dropping into a zone, they wanted to knock the receiver off his marks before they dropped, so they disrupted any pattern. They also want guys that can give the look of off zone coverage but man up. In essence, they want corners that can get in the face of WRs and play man or drop into zone as well as corners that can be off and play man or zone. But, Burns doesn't have elite change of direction. He needs hands on a guy and one of the statements from Tomlin last year was he needed to get stronger...and that is because when he jams, some WRs just brush it off and drive through him. He is still growing, but he will never be an inside guy.

Coty Sensabaugh could though. He was a pretty damn fine slot corner before becoming a free agent, getting a bigger deal, and being moved outside. He struggled outside. He is better inside. So, I would not write him completely off as your slot/4th/5th CB. It is why Awuzie and Baker interest me so much. If you have your secondary of Burns/Mitchell/Davis/Cockrell, they are your entrenched starters. Say you draft Awuzie. He has the length and toughness to play outside and the quickness to play inside. He will also tackle, so if you play him in the slot, you get that quasi-LB/CB combo. But, say Awuzie and Sensabaugh both perform well in the slot. Then, you might replace Cockrell outside with Awuzie and let Sensabaugh be your slot. If Cockrell plays well, then you keep Awuzie inside. Same with Baker. If Sensabaugh plays well, you can use him at safety. If Mitchell is playing well, you keep him at slot. Even if I draft one of those two, I still comeback looking for a press corner in the 3rd/4th. I'm kind of tired of trotting out other team's castoffs at DB and I think the best way to get elite guys is to draft them. This draft is strong there, get a couple DBs. Hell, 2 corners and a guy that can play FS would make me happy. If they went DB/OLB/FS/CB in this draft, I would not complain. It sets you up for a decade in your secondary and we are not smashmouth football anymore, it is arena ball. Butler actually said this last year:

So, whether we are a true nickel (2 ILBs), a heavy nickel (1 ILB/1$backer) or a dime (6 DBs, 1 ILB), that is what they are moving towards. The big questions for me, do they go traditional at the other ILB spot and how heavy do they make the front four. They still need 6 starting capable DBs.
Thanks for answering that question..there was a reason I asked. Hopefully those who thought that was an option in that game see it.

Sent from my HTC6535LVW using Steeler Nation mobile app

Thanks for answering that question..there was a reason I asked. Hopefully those who thought that was an option in that game see it.

Well, we can look at it. I guess the reason they wanted Burns inside over the slot was to cover....Edelman? Or was it to mirror Hogan? It really doesn't matter. Say you put Burns on Hogan, the Patriots still had Edelman, Amendola, and Mitchell at the receiving spots. They also had Bennett and a RB out of the backfield they could sub in and out. So, say they go White, Bennett, Hogan, Edelman, and Amendola. You match Burns on Hogan. Who man covers Edelman? Who man covers Amendola? Both were way too quick for any of our other corners. If you put Burns on Edelman, who covers Amendola and Hogan?

You are rearranging deck chairs on the Titanic. It is going down, just a matter of how you want to look when it goes down. I think they played like 7 snaps of man coverage, one was the open TD to Hogan in the endzone (IIRC). Another was a play where Davis took a WR coming outside in and the CB ran with him as well, left the deep out wide open. Those are two off the top of my head. I think on those 7 snaps, Brady threw for over 100 yards. We just did not have the horses.

Now, I think I have been as critical of the front office and some personnel decisions as anybody. My main area of angst is the draft. I am a firm believer in you draft well and keep your own, fill in holes with the 2nd tier or lower free agents. I prefer younger guys that might pan out over proven veterans with high price tags. So, I don't really have an issue with them not blowing the cap space on free agents this year after working since 2011 to crawl out from under a cap mess. Butler has simplified the defense. They rarely use the old Okie front (2-gap) and play more Eagle (1-gap). I would expect as Tuitt and Hargrave mature, they begin mixing the responsibilities to help free up the LBs, but I don't think they ever go back to a full blown 2-gap. It just doesn't create enough pressure anymore. Teams are flooding secondaries with receivers and the ball is coming out faster.

So, how do they go? I think that is the million dollar question because Butler isn't drafting the same horses that LeBeau liked to ride. No big run stopping NT. They got a guy with pass rush ability. McCullers looks like he is heading out. They are looking at bigger down DEs, might signal a full-blown 4-man front. Dunno, but it might. Dupree is athletic enough he could be a Sam if they had to do it. Maybe if they go nickel, he is your guy beside Shazier. He doesn't look out of place dropping. Just an athletic freak. Again, unless you know what is working in Butler and Tomlin's heads, no way to know what they draft. I'm thinking they are looking hard at guys that can rush the passer, but that are also able to handle some coverage, even if they give up some run presence/edge presence to do it. I know they like Carl Lawson and Takk McKinley, spent too much time with them to not have interest, but they hearken back to the older edge rushers that did not drop. Guys like Rivers, Watt, Javancy Jones (although he could move inside) and the last guy they brought in are all more athletic, can drop, and can still rush the passer. So, might keep the three big uglies on the field, use 2 edge rushers that can drop (Dupree/Rookie), and then throw 6 DBs out there especially if they can find a $backer like Deone Buchannon or Jatavis Brown. That is interesting to me. You have that three man front so the interior run stopping should be there. We have three interior DL that can push the pocket. You have two edge rushers/OLBs that can drop and rush. You have Shazier who can do it all. And, if you get that big safety that can walk down, he gives you some run stopping and is excellent in coverage. That might be the way to combat the new pass-happy schemes all over the NFL.

I just know we cannot do it with the guys we have right now. But, again, Butler has only been here two seasons and the secondary LeBeau left wasn't one to write home about.

Here is the tape I just watched on him:

http://draftbreakdown.com/video/samson-ebukam-vs-washington-state-2016-2/

That's pretty good tape. I mean, you have to hold back some enthusiasm. I do see some stiffness in his hips. But he is super active and takes it to his man every play. Likes contact. He needs a lot of coaching. Rough around the edges and lots of wasted motion. TMC is right about him all over the place in their defensive system. And I might also agree moving inside to ILB would be better for us. He doesn't quite have the dip/bend to play OLB in the NFL. His bull rush and wild hand use might work at that level, but I'm not sure it will at the next. Should be a terror on special teams and make your roster just on that. I would probably put a 5th-6th round grade on him right now.

Ebukam plays with a motor for sure. He looks like an inside guy to me. On the edge he ends up on the ground a good bit in these clips.
I think the Steelers would be interested in rd 5 for him though.

Sent from my HTC6535LVW using Steeler Nation mobile app

I thought it was because of the coaches? Some of the Tombert discussions intimated that was the reason that game was toast. Never mind the injury to Bell. No backup plans sort to speak.

Sent from my iPhone using Steeler Nation mobile app

How do we avoid getting a poor tackling safety like Davis.

Easy answer, keep him away from slot corner duties. Remember, I said the coaches were fools to try them there. Hindsight is 20/20.

With Davis, he dropped more interceptions that he made.

I hope to see less missed tackles and more interceptions and passes defended out of him in 2017. A low bar to set, that I think he'll pass.

Easy answer, keep him away from slot corner duties. Remember, I said the coaches were fools to try them there. Hindsight is 20/20.

I hope to see less missed tackles and more interceptions and passes defended out of him in 2017. A low bar to set, that I think he'll pass.

Check the past steeler ROY's:

2009- Mike Wallace
2010 – Maurkice Pouncey
2011 – Marcus Gilbert
2012 – Mike Adams
2013 – Le’Veon Bell
2014 – Martavis Bryant
2015 – Bud Dupree

Except for Mike Adams, all of those winners have had extremely productive careers. Hell, 4 of the 7 winners are pro-bowlers.

In other words, maybe the bar isnt as low you you are suggesting....

1. It was a joke
2. A for persistence, D- for Analysis.

Check the past steeler ROY's:

2009- Mike Wallace
2010 – Maurkice Pouncey
2011 – Marcus Gilbert
2012 – Mike Adams
2013 – Le’Veon Bell
2014 – Martavis Bryant
2015 – Bud Dupree

Except for Mike Adams, all of those winners have had extremely productive careers. Hell, 4 of the 7 winners are pro-bowlers.

In other words, maybe the bar isnt as low you you are suggesting....

I was referring to a production bar. Just one interception, and dropping two easy ones is a low bar for a starter to overcome. While Davis certainly played better at the end of the last season, I still see him as a an assignment type of safety who's not making many plays. I did however think he's very good as a blitzer.

I would have given the award to Burns, who made more impactful plays.

hopefully you aren't stupid enough to think ark was serious with his question.....********

I certainly wish Mike Mayock wasn't suck a ******* idiot. In his first safety rankings, he had Baker 4th and Melifonwu 5th. Since then, Melifonwu moved to 4th. Of course, he moved Baker completely off his safety list and put him in his "nickel" list, as the top rated nickel player, just above Chidobe Awuzie. New rankings out today, Baker holds that spot.

And some people state Baker cannot play the slot. If only Mayock had any scouting ability at all.
:jagoff:

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap30...e-mayocks-2017-nfl-draft-position-rankings-30

I was referring to a production bar. Just one interception, and dropping two easy ones is a low bar for a starter to overcome. While Davis certainly played better at the end of the last season, I still see him as a an assignment type of safety who's not making many plays. I did however think he's very good as a blitzer.

I would have given the award to Burns, who made more impactful plays.

Except for you called Burns a reach too

Davis' one int shouldnt be the stat to judge him but of course, coach has an agenda

Well his heads also is on the large size compared to the rest of his body.

Thanks TMC for the response(s). I too agree Watt looks like a perfect fit right before our pick to GB and I will hope Tak is gone too so that makes me feel better. I have more questions but wanted to throw out a few late round guys (rated) who I think are either WAY better or have the potential to be as productive as the early guys with a little seasoning. I usually find them by accident while looking at a rated player on the team but sometimes I am already familiar because I actually watch football a lot. They are, in no particular order but I will brief what I see/saw in them:

Brendan Langley-CB-Hou - has everything you want in a Boundary CB except time in the position. Flashes dominance and mental lapses but not lack of coverage skill. Great returner too. Former WR. Where could we get him? 4-6?

Brian Allen-CB-Utah - Wow. Raw, inexperienced and expected to sit a while to learn but the upside of a Kevin King? 6-ufa

Tj Logan-RB-NC - I just like the guy and think he could be a good compliment to LB. Has speed to the corner and can catch. 5-7

LeShun Daniels Jr.-RB-IA - Leading RB who's tape is riddled with nice cut-backs and speed for a big guy. His ups and downs are explainable though and he is a safer (late pick/UFA) than Kamara, Clement and the like, IMO. Ran a 4.5 40 at pro-day. Highlights are good but game tape shows he had some rough games when OL was dinged up. Still over 1,000 yds splitting time. 7-ufa

Donavin Newsom-LB-MO - Leading tackler I came across watching Harris. Played OLB, SLB, WLB, covered slot. Played all over the place and was always around the ball. May be a sleeper mini-Shaz who ran a 4.5 at pro day at 6013, 237#, pretty impressive for a guy graded out as a 6-ufa. Faster than all LB prospects at combine.

That's it for now. After reading all the comments on Sean Davis tackling (or not) I thought to add that while he was slighted for missing 40 tackles over his last 3 years at Maryland (which is less than any LB or Safety on our team/yr ever), it should be noted he also had over 300 tackles in 38 games over the same period. (that's a lot btw) He got better as the season went on and had more tackles per defensive play than Mitchell, who should have WAY more. To illustrate this: Mitchell played 1004 defensive plays and had 77 total tackles (although the system is slightly changed, Ryan Clark averaged over 100/season), Davis was on the defense for 740 plays and had 69 total tackles (which btw, is about what Troy averaged at SS for each season). AND according to this article: http://steelcityblitz.com/2017/01/08/2016-pittsburgh-steelers-regular-season-missed-tackles-report/ Davis he finished behind Cockrell, Shazier, Mitchell, Gay, Timmons and Tuitt in missed tackles with 16.

Another misrepresentation I noticed (same individual, btw) is that Shazier is great in coverage. While he played better last season, he was ranked 7th worst for ILBs in 2015. He is great in short/middle zone coverage where he operates from his "drop" but is still pretty iffy in "man" coverage. Sometimes speed and aggression is not as valued as discipline which is why Timmons sometimes got the short end of the stick in coverage where he ended up covering for a mistake or having to cover a WR down the seam. Timmons was better than he was given credit for, IMO.

Lastly, I have been seeing more and more mocks with us taking Deshone Kizer w #30. I would have to write a manifesto if this happened! Hopefully it's smoke or over-reaction to BBs comments but IMO NONE of these QBs are 1st round talent...NONE. If you were to use Walt's ratings historically (not because he's a genius but because it's one of the ONLY available historic ratings available and must be consistent since he was rating both draft classes)

As TMC already covered: 2011 draft had 4 QBs taken in the first 12 picks! Newton (1st), Locker (8th), Gabbert (10th) and Ponder (12th). Walt had all but Cam rated as a 1-2 or 1-3 round pick w Newton a top 3

Now, we look at 2017 where Walt has the entire top 5 rated as 1-2, Trubiskey, 1-3 Watson, 1-2 Kizer, 1-2 Mahommes and 2-3 Webb. I HOPE we don't repeat a 2011 draft and take a QB in this range. Next year will be a better QB class and I'd hate to see us over-draft because we're worried about BB. How about getting him the TE he is asking for instead of having him go into the playoffs with AB and a bunch of back-ups!

I hope we draft a replacement to Green (who is soft, IMO) and get a 4-6 shot at Kittles or Hodges since we need the early picks for D.

Missed tackles are kind of a bogus stat. I mean I'd much rather have a DB get his nose dirty and attempt a tackle and miss rather than go through the motions, straight arm the WR and pretty much give up on the play. You see that A LOT on film. And you see it in the pros as well.

When I scouted Davis, I thought tackling was one of his pluses. He really came down hard into plays from his (often) off-man coverage. He didn't pitter-patter into a tackle or pile on or let the guy run past and use his speed to "hang on and fall". He got in there. That's a lot more relevant to me than missed tackles.

I agree del. Kinda hard to be tops on your team at tackles while playing CB but Davis did it in 2015. In 2014 he was 4th in the Nation among DBs despite having to start 2 games at CB instead of S. Sometimes players get credited with misses because they weren't even supposed to be there to make the attempt. Coming into an attempt at a high rate of speed means sometimes thee runner pulls a 'gazelle' on you and jumps outa the way BUT the Cheetah is still the ONLY predator who has a chance against a gazelle. This explains some of Shazier's misses too,IMO.

I don't think a player exists that had more INTs than PDs. If there are players like that, they either didn't play much, or they have better hands than AB...

Thanks TMC for the response(s). I too agree Watt looks like a perfect fit right before our pick to GB and I will hope Tak is gone too so that makes me feel better. I have more questions but wanted to throw out a few late round guys (rated) who I think are either WAY better or have the potential to be as productive as the early guys with a little seasoning. I usually find them by accident while looking at a rated player on the team but sometimes I am already familiar because I actually watch football a lot. They are, in no particular order but I will brief what I see/saw in them:

Brendan Langley-CB-Hou - has everything you want in a Boundary CB except time in the position. Flashes dominance and mental lapses but not lack of coverage skill. Great returner too. Former WR. Where could we get him? 4-6?

Brian Allen-CB-Utah - Wow. Raw, inexperienced and expected to sit a while to learn but the upside of a Kevin King? 6-ufa

Tj Logan-RB-NC - I just like the guy and think he could be a good compliment to LB. Has speed to the corner and can catch. 5-7

LeShun Daniels Jr.-RB-IA - Leading RB who's tape is riddled with nice cut-backs and speed for a big guy. His ups and downs are explainable though and he is a safer (late pick/UFA) than Kamara, Clement and the like, IMO. Ran a 4.5 40 at pro-day. Highlights are good but game tape shows he had some rough games when OL was dinged up. Still over 1,000 yds splitting time. 7-ufa

Donavin Newsom-LB-MO - Leading tackler I came across watching Harris. Played OLB, SLB, WLB, covered slot. Played all over the place and was always around the ball. May be a sleeper mini-Shaz who ran a 4.5 at pro day at 6013, 237#, pretty impressive for a guy graded out as a 6-ufa. Faster than all LB prospects at combine.

That's it for now. After reading all the comments on Sean Davis tackling (or not) I thought to add that while he was slighted for missing 40 tackles over his last 3 years at Maryland (which is less than any LB or Safety on our team/yr ever), it should be noted he also had over 300 tackles in 38 games over the same period. (that's a lot btw) He got better as the season went on and had more tackles per defensive play than Mitchell, who should have WAY more. To illustrate this: Mitchell played 1004 defensive plays and had 77 total tackles (although the system is slightly changed, Ryan Clark averaged over 100/season), Davis was on the defense for 740 plays and had 69 total tackles (which btw, is about what Troy averaged at SS for each season). AND according to this article: http://steelcityblitz.com/2017/01/08/2016-pittsburgh-steelers-regular-season-missed-tackles-report/ Davis he finished behind Cockrell, Shazier, Mitchell, Gay, Timmons and Tuitt in missed tackles with 16.

Another misrepresentation I noticed (same individual, btw) is that Shazier is great in coverage. While he played better last season, he was ranked 7th worst for ILBs in 2015. He is great in short/middle zone coverage where he operates from his "drop" but is still pretty iffy in "man" coverage. Sometimes speed and aggression is not as valued as discipline which is why Timmons sometimes got the short end of the stick in coverage where he ended up covering for a mistake or having to cover a WR down the seam. Timmons was better than he was given credit for, IMO.

Lastly, I have been seeing more and more mocks with us taking Deshone Kizer w #30. I would have to write a manifesto if this happened! Hopefully it's smoke or over-reaction to BBs comments but IMO NONE of these QBs are 1st round talent...NONE. If you were to use Walt's ratings historically (not because he's a genius but because it's one of the ONLY available historic ratings available and must be consistent since he was rating both draft classes)

As TMC already covered: 2011 draft had 4 QBs taken in the first 12 picks! Newton (1st), Locker (8th), Gabbert (10th) and Ponder (12th). Walt had all but Cam rated as a 1-2 or 1-3 round pick w Newton a top 3

Now, we look at 2017 where Walt has the entire top 5 rated as 1-2, Trubiskey, 1-3 Watson, 1-2 Kizer, 1-2 Mahommes and 2-3 Webb. I HOPE we don't repeat a 2011 draft and take a QB in this range. Next year will be a better QB class and I'd hate to see us over-draft because we're worried about BB. How about getting him the TE he is asking for instead of having him go into the playoffs with AB and a bunch of back-ups!

I hope we draft a replacement to Green (who is soft, IMO) and get a 4-6 shot at Kittles or Hodges since we need the early picks for D.

Something to note about the 2011 draft: There was no free agency before the draft due to the CBA expiring. So once the run on QB's started, teams like Minnesota panicked, taking a guy with 2nd/3rd round talent in the early/mid first.

And to add to that once they readjusted what rookies were getting paid. Every year you see teams more willing to reach on need. So a good drafting team will have bargains sitting there that they might not have. Back when.

I think both Brian Allen and Brendan Langley will be there from the 5th down. Both are height/weight/speed guys that need to be coached up. As I stated earlier, Rob Rang was talking with a scout and he had ~22 cornerbacks in his top 100 players, it was the most he ever had. That is almost 1 CB for every team. So, unless teams are double dipping, the height/weight/speed guys could slide because teams are not desperate for a 2nd pick at corner.

TJ Logan is okay. I like him well enough, he needs to be better at securing the football in traffic. He will put it on the ground when he takes some hits. Good receiver though, almost 200 pounds, so nice size. He doesn't look it, but he has some size to him. LeShun Daniels probably goes undrafted. He is a big back with some speed and wiggle, but he doesn't always drop his pads on contact and show that power. And, he can run so hot and cold, have a good game one week and then disappear. Hard to get excited about a guy that splits carries on a team that doesn't have a true stud. I mean, Logan split carries, but Hood is a thumper and a true draftable back, along with Logan. Don't see that at Iowa. But, I'm interested after the draft. I toss him in the bucket with guys like Boom Williams of Kentucky. I don't think I draft them, but I try to get one after.

I'm not a fan of Donavin Newsom. He isn't very physical and when he goes to take on a block, it is almost like he hesitates and braces for impact. He is athletic, plays in a ton of places, but I just wish he were more physical and aggressive in his game. I guess I like my linebackers a little crazy without regard for their bodies. I wasn't a fan of Jarvis Jones, but one thing he would do was get in the fight. He didn't win many, but he would get back up and get back in it. I may not think a guy can make it, but I can respect the fight in the dog. To me, Newsom isn't my type of dog.

I'm not worried about Sean Davis missing tackles. He was near the top in the nation in tackles. When you attempt to tackle, you are going to miss some. But, when he gets there, people know. He is also the best coverage safety we have had in a while. If they had a shot at Sean Davis in this draft, even though it is deeper, they would take him again to replace Mitchell. I think their back end ideal plan is finding two safeties that can cover and will tackle. That way, they can play Cover-2 on the back end and mix underneath coverages.

I think Shazier is pretty good in coverage. Sure, he is a work in progress, but he lost much of his first season to nagging injury. Hard to fully adjust to the speed of the game with only 5 starts. I think we saw great improvement with Burns/Davis/Hargrave by the end of the season because they had so many live fire snaps. Next year, they should be even better. I mean, Davis missed tackles early. Everyone in the NFL is bigger/faster/stronger. You will miss when you think a guy will be in one spot and he is 2 yards further up the field. Shazier was much better last year. I think he is beginning to put it all together, run stopping, calling the defense, route recognition, everything. Should only continue to improve.

As for QBs, I've heard that some scouts feel the QB class is better than draftniks have them ranked. Maybe. Okay. I think the Steelers are doing their due diligence on QBs, as they should. They should have been doing the same thing last draft as well. The only difference between last year and this year is Ben is 1-year older and he said he was taking it year-to-year (basically). Now it is a priority. I really don't see the drastic change. If we need a QB today, we could have used one last year, in a better QB draft. Or, we can wait until next year, in a better QB draft. I'd be surprised if the Steelers took a QB before the 3rd day. Shocked even. I'm still hoping there is a huge panic and 5 go before the 30th pick. It only pushes down the better players to us.

Here is why I think a 3-35 might be the way to go....I just think once Cam gets healthy, you cannot take this guy off the field:

So TMC, can you stack your top-5 to 10 DB's and OLB's now? Just talking first two rounds options. Don't list anyone you don't think is worth the #62 pick.

From the talk in the thread is the consensus Awuzie is ahead of Tebor, Wilson and Desmond King? Do you put Kevin King above them as well?

What is your choice Watt vs. McKinley at #30 if it falls that way? Do you have a preference?

Baker vs. Obi vs. Conley or Humphrey?

Just theoretically stacking the board for the Steelers (and I know there are unknowns from the interview process we will never know and these are likely split hair decisions and often not a "wrong" answer).