• Please be aware we've switched the forums to their own URL. (again) You'll find the new website address to be www.steelernationforum.com Thanks
  • Please clear your private messages. Your inbox is close to being full.

2017 NFL Draft Q&A

Would I take Chad Kelly in the 4th? In no realm of my imagination can I see Kelly in the 4th.

No, Peterman. Want no part of Kelly. To many off the field issues.....

No, Peterman. Want no part of Kelly. To many off the field issues.....

He is the guy I would target in the 3rd/4th. I like him better than some of the higher end QBs, especially if he comes at a 3rd/4th round price.

He is the guy I would target in the 3rd/4th. I like him better than some of the higher end QBs, especially if he comes at a 3rd/4th round price.

I've been looking at all these mocks from "professional" prognosticators....and everyone has folks going everywhere....There are guys I just think are made for being a Steeler player (Awuzie, Godwin, Maye...etc. I know you really like Baker, too) but these guys are all over the place in position slotting and picks.

I mean is this draft going to cause players to rocket up the board like Barron did? He was a late 1st the week before the draft and then went 4th or 5th....I saw Awuzie will be in the green room in Philly.....so kind of makes me think he won't even last till the end of the 1st. But most draft folks have him as a 1-2 round player.

I've been looking at all these mocks from "professional" prognosticators....and everyone has folks going everywhere....There are guys I just think are made for being a Steeler player (Awuzie, Godwin, Maye...etc. I know you really like Baker, too) but these guys are all over the place in position slotting and picks.

I mean is this draft going to cause players to rocket up the board like Barron did? He was a late 1st the week before the draft and then went 4th or 5th....I saw Awuzie will be in the green room in Philly.....so kind of makes me think he won't even last till the end of the 1st. But most draft folks have him as a 1-2 round player.

I don't know that players "rocket" up draft boards. Nobody knows what teams think or how players are evaluated. I mean, most people had Artie Burns in the 2nd (as I did) and Davis going in the 3rd. Okay. The Steelers obviously liked both guys. I guess the thought process was, Burns won't make it to us in the 2nd and Davis won't make it to us in the 3rd, so if we want them, have to take him in R1 and R2. Not really rocketing up, but if they wanted their guys, had to get them where they were. I know people claim you can trade down, but it takes two to dance and you damn well better be confident that your guy doesn't get picked.

There are three teams I watched last year and thought, these DBs can play on my team. They were Colorado, Washington, and Florida. Across the board, they had guys that played the game at a high level. LSU did as well. The key is how much do you value player X over player Y. I like Awuzie about as good as any other DB. If given the choice between Awuzie, Humphrey, Lattimore, Conley, and White, I'm happy with any of them and asking me to rank them is like asking someone to pick their favorite kid. Awuzie might be the smartest choice because there is a chance you see a guy like Sidney Jones fall to your 3rd round pick and if you nab him, he recovers, you can play Awuzie in the slot and Jones/Burns on the edges. You have something then....****, anybody could just about play safety.

Thanks guys. I guess we'll see how it plays out. Maybe a 7th rounder if the FO decide they like him.

I noted this in another thread. One guy still on the board when we pick while 3 other mocks have him in the top 15. Crazy variances.

I don't know that players "rocket" up draft boards. Nobody knows what teams think or how players are evaluated. I mean, most people had Artie Burns in the 2nd (as I did) and Davis going in the 3rd. Okay. The Steelers obviously liked both guys. I guess the thought process was, Burns won't make it to us in the 2nd and Davis won't make it to us in the 3rd, so if we want them, have to take him in R1 and R2.

Not long before the draft I saw a couple mocks (on nfl.com, I think) that had us taking Burns in the first. Had no idea who he was.

I wanted White to come out last year and us take him then. I'd be happy to take him at 1.30, now.

TMC, Dez, either of you reviewed Lorenzo Jerome, from St.Francis? FS/SS- both? Where do you guys have him rated?

Sent from my iPad using Steeler Nation mobile app

I hope they don't draft a TE in Round 1, regardless of who is there. I just think the needs are too great on defense.

Another thing with that. I don't know what some of you guys think, but I am not a fan of giving and OC too many weapons. There is only one football, and then they get to screwing around with play calls, and don't develop a strength. LeVeon Bell is the most talented guy on the offense. Now, you can't run him too much, I get that. But dammit, when you are down on the 2 yard line, quit screwing around with all of your toys, let the offensive line blow someone off the ball and give it to Bell. I just don't know if I want a 1st round talent TE fogging up Haley or Ben's brain.

I hope they don't draft a TE in Round 1, regardless of who is there. I just think the needs are too great on defense.

Another thing with that. I don't know what some of you guys think, but I am not a fan of giving and OC too many weapons.

You have too many weapons until one gets suspended, one never recovers from a concussion, two others get hurt during the season and another during the playoffs and you're left with Ben throwing to a bunch of practice squad guys.

You have too many weapons until one gets suspended, one never recovers from a concussion, two others get hurt during the season and another during the playoffs and you're left with Ben throwing to a bunch of practice squad guys.

That's a good point.

It'd be a great point if they didn't try to throw to those practice squad guys down at the 2 when you have Bell in the lineup.

TMC, Dez, either of you reviewed Lorenzo Jerome, from St.Francis? FS/SS- both? Where do you guys have him rated?

Sent from my iPad using Steeler Nation mobile app

When I watched film of him, I thought he was really good. I mean, he seems to read and react very quickly. He looked the part on film too, big, fast, and athletic. Then, he gets to the combine and is only 5'10" and runs a 4.70 forty. His shuttle was a 4.68. That just doesn't translate to the NFL. Hell, that is worse than Teez Tabor, vastly worse, and many are sliding Teez down 2 rounds because of his times. I had him from the 5th down, still do because someone might take a flier because of his instincts, but I hope it isn't us. There are better safeties out there.

Really interesting mock from Daniel Jeremiah - one of the few guys that I think has a clue:

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap30...atson?akmobile=android-tablet&akcarrier=other

Lands us TJ Watt but who would you pick at this stage?

Well, you have Marlon Humphrey, Chidobe Awuzie, Budda Baker, and TJ Watt available. I really don't think Humphrey is there, at all, he should go top 20 at least, but I like Awuzie out of the group because it just keeps the draft so open for me. If a slot corner is available later, I play Awuzie on the edge. If an edge is available, even if Awuzie wins the edge full time, I can bring in the other player and slide him inside. He is good enough to do that. I'd hope for a Carl Lawson/Derek Rivers in the 2nd and the come back to DB in the 3rd. That is the feel I am getting from this draft right now, DB/OLB might be the best course. And, all those teams that drafted edge rushers in the first won't be looking for edges in the 2nd, but they might be taking DBs because that is the sweet spot for DBs. So, I think I get my guy first and hope an edge falls.

Boy does Takk McKinley look good...big, strong, explosive.

Let me also add, pretty sure that is TJ Watt working out next to Takk.

In the video with Takk, what interested me was the weight on the bar. They had roughly 350 pounds sitting on the bench and you are taking it from low to high and back down. That is pretty tough. Then, on the squat, if my math is right, that is about 515 pounds. Those are excellent numbers, great strength.

Well... what many feared seems to playing out. IMHO... Martavis is likely not going to be reinstated prior to the draft. Both USA Today and Sporting news are reporting that the NFL is requiring a "relapse prevention plan" before Bryant will be considered for reinstatement. He will need to provide this "plan" and then wait for the NFL to evaluate it and then wait for a meeting. Good grief... he applied for reinstatement in January! Why were they not made aware of this before now?

Question... does this change our draft approach? I know, I know... BPA and all that. I assumed that they would take a WR... maybe round four or five. Does this make us take a closer look at rounds two or three?

Well... what many feared seems to playing out. IMHO... Martavis is likely not going to be reinstated prior to the draft. Both USA Today and Sporting news are reporting that the NFL is requiring a "relapse prevention plan" before Bryant will be considered for reinstatement. He will need to provide this "plan" and then wait for the NFL to evaluate it and then wait for a meeting. Good grief... he applied for reinstatement in January! Why were they not made aware of this before now?

Question... does this change our draft approach? I know, I know... BPA and all that. I assumed that they would take a WR... maybe round four or five. Does this make us take a closer look at rounds two or three?

Round 2, I am all over Godwin!

Hey TMC, would you be willing to do a draft day thread, in real time, as the draft is going on? Or at least be a part of the draft day thread? I'd love your insight and we've been having some fun with Del being heavily involved in prior years.

Del, I hope you're in this year as well!

Hey TMC, would you be willing to do a draft day thread, in real time, as the draft is going on? Or at least be a part of the draft day thread? I'd love your insight and we've been having some fun with Del being heavily involved in prior years.

Last year I had a clusterfuck breakdown after they drafted Burns instead of trading down. Good times, good times

I'll do the best I can to be here. I don't foresee any reason to not be available. Del should be heavily involved here. He should be the guy everyone is looking to. He has always done his own work and that is really all you can ask, look with your own eyes and tell me what you see.