• Please be aware we've switched the forums to their own URL. (again) You'll find the new website address to be www.steelernationforum.com Thanks
  • Please clear your private messages. Your inbox is close to being full.

2017 NFL Draft Q&A

Welcome back, kid ( TMC )!
Luckily for us, Mike Adams isn't in this draft for us to argue about. LOL

I'm curious of your take on Kareem Hunt, RB out of Toledo.
Living near there, I got to see him in person a dozen or so times and on TV all the time.
The only area I see him needing a LOT of work is pass protection.
He's not going to outrun anyone really, either, but he's a pretty well rounded back with exceptional ball security.
I think he'll turn out better than fellow UT alum Chester Taylor, who had himself a nice decade+ career in the NFL.
General consensus has him going late 3rd/early 4th.
I feel that's criminally low for a back with his traits/game.

What say you?

So I read a few of your opinions on guys like Phillips, Williams, Watt so I hope I am not making you repeat yourself but here are a few late round prospects I wanted to know what you thought.

Ejuan Price, Darius English (exact opposite of Price), Avery Moss and Keion Adams. I definitely want a round 1-3 edge guy and I would hope an edge guy falls in round one. But I am not against double dipping the position later in the draft.

So TMC, can you stack your top-5 to 10 DB's and OLB's now? Just talking first two rounds options. Don't list anyone you don't think is worth the #62 pick.

From the talk in the thread is the consensus Awuzie is ahead of Tebor, Wilson and Desmond King? Do you put Kevin King above them as well?

What is your choice Watt vs. McKinley at #30 if it falls that way? Do you have a preference?

Baker vs. Obi vs. Conley or Humphrey?

Just theoretically stacking the board for the Steelers (and I know there are unknowns from the interview process we will never know and these are likely split hair decisions and often not a "wrong" answer).

Well, that is more difficult that you realize because I don't know the exact direction the Steelers want to go in. I mean, do they draft for the nickel? Is it the true 4 DL nickel with 2 pure ILBs or is it a 3-3-5 like I am thinking with 3 true DL, 2 OLBs, and Shazier. So, I'll throw out some options, CBs probably won't change much, but the OLBs definitely will. I'll start with the corners....

1-Gareon Conley, CB, Ohio State- he is first, but it could be him, Humphrey, or Lattimore. He is the most polished.
2-Marshon Lattimore, CB, Ohio State-most athletic of the top 3.
3-Marlon Humphrey, CB, Alabama-biggest upside of the top 3.
4-Chidobe Awuzie, CB, Colorado-most versatile corner in the draft.
5-TreDavious White, CB, LSU-criminally underrated.
6-Adoree Jackson, CB, USC-similar to Awuzie, can play inside or outside, biggest knock is he is a gambler and his height.
7-Kevin King, CB, Washington-long, athletic, good in press. He makes plays. Being the 3rd best DB at Washington still makes you pretty damn good.
8-Quincy Wilson, CB, Florida-another solid secondary, he was the guy that had man coverage without help.
9-Sidney Jones, CB, Washington-if not for his injury, he would be in the group with Conley, Lattimore, Humphrey, top 15 talent.
10-Fabiran Moreau, CB, UCLA-minus his injury, he would go late first, early 2nd.
And, I think guys like Rasul Douglas, Howard Wilson, and Damontee Kazee should be getting some love too. In a less CB heavy draft, they would all be highly sought after. I should also add that, I think some NFL teams will see guys like Budda Baker, Desmond King, and even Obi Melinfonwu as potential corners. I've also softened on my stance on Peppers. In watching more Michigan film, when he locks up on guys in the slot, before I noticed what I thought was hesitation in his game, but I think he had outside contain responsibilities that caused him to pause. When in straight man, he runs well with guys. So, wide open, almost a "what's your flavor type deal".

As for edge rushers, I'll break this out into two groups. If we are looking for QB killers, guys that play up the field, here are my top 10 (even past #62):
1-Takk McKinley, OLB, UCLA
2-Carl Lawson, OLB, Auburn
3-Derek Barnett, DE, Tennessee-not my first choice, but I think he is on the radar as a down DE type.
4-Taco Charlton, DE, Michigan-same as Barnett.
5-Derek Rivers, OLB, Youngstown State
6-Jordan Willis, OLB, Kansas State
7-Trey Hendrickson, DE, Florida Atlantic
8-Dawuane Smoot, DE, Illinois
9-Tarrell Basham, DE, Ohio
10-Keionta Davis, DE, Chattanooga

If coverage/versatiltiy is our thing, some of these guys will fall off. If we are going for more of a 3-3-5, multiple front scheme, then I think coverage and overall skills are bigger factors than holding the point and rushing the passer, so these guys may give up some there, but have more coverage skills:
1-Haason Reddick, OLB, Temple-perfect Swiss Army Knife for the OLB/ILB/Passrusher/coverage guy. With him, you can present a multitude of fronts.
2-TJ Watt, OLB, Wisconsin-good in coverage, good enough at the point, developing pass rusher.
3-Ryan Anderson, OLB, Alabama-not quite as athletic as others, but steady and consistent, just does what needs to be done.
4-Tyus Bowser, OLB, Houston-to me, a poor man's (not that poor though) TJ Watt. Maybe better in coverage and athletically.
5-Tim Williams, OLB, Alabama-good athlete and pass rusher, off the field really kills him for me.
6-Vince Biegel, OLB, Wisconsin-flashes about as much on film as Watt does. Limited athlete that just plays.
7-Carroll Phillips, OLB, Illinois-undersized but plays his *** off.
8-Samson Ebukam, OLB, Eastern Washington-I think he desperately need coaching, but has the athletic attributes to develop into a Reddick type kid.
9-Javancy Jones, OLB, Jackson State-a small school pass rusher that can do a lot of things.
10-Jayon Brown, OLB, UCLA-another guy that does multiple things for the defense, can play ILB, OLB, and rush the passer.

So, to blend those groups into a big mess based on talent....
1-Haason Reddick
2-TJ Watt
3-Takk McKinley-injury pushes him down
4-Carl Lawson
5-Derek Rivers
6-Ryan Anderson
7-Tyus Bowser
8-Tim Williams
9-Vince Biegel
10-Carroll Phillips

I think the top 4 probably come before any CB at #30 and the next group are your targets at #62.

Adding this...as for Baker or Obi, I take Baker and not think twice. Baker can play anywhere on the field. He played deep as a single. He played deep in Cover-2. He played in the box. He covered the slot. He played outside as an edge corner. They had no fear lining him up where they needed him. Now, he can struggle with bigger WRs that can high point passes because he isn't tall. But, that is about the only hole in his game. Excellent student of the game, knows how to line people up, smart. Great pre-snap reads and instincts. Sees throws coming before the QB releases the ball. Obi, as a 4-year starter, has to see the ball in the air before he breaks. He still doesn't have great pre-snap reads. He has excellent closing ability and can walk down in the box, but outside of that (and his ability to play man), he doesn't give much. You won't put him deep because he reacts too slowly. I mean, redshirt as a freshman, 4 years starting, still reacts like a rookie. Not sure he ever changes. Give me the guys that get it between the ears, see it, play with those instincts. That is what made Polamalu so great, he knew formations and tendencies. When they dumped short, he was already coming. That is Baker.

As for Conley or Humphrey-depends on what you want. If you want a guy that will walk in early and take a starting spot and play it well for a decade, that is Conley to me. If you want a guy that might be a little longer to develop but once he gets there, you have a multiple trip Pro Bowl talent, that is Humphrey. His upside is greater, but Conley is NFL ready. He just doesn't make many mistakes. He can do about what you want and do it with such consistency. You watch him and keep waiting for him to make a mistake and they just don't happen. He may never be elite, but he will be very, very good. Humphrey could be elite, but he has to develop further. He is a bigger reward but comes with a bigger risk.

Last edited:
Welcome back, kid ( TMC )!
Luckily for us, Mike Adams isn't in this draft for us to argue about. LOL

I'm curious of your take on Kareem Hunt, RB out of Toledo.
Living near there, I got to see him in person a dozen or so times and on TV all the time.
The only area I see him needing a LOT of work is pass protection.
He's not going to outrun anyone really, either, but he's a pretty well rounded back with exceptional ball security.
I think he'll turn out better than fellow UT alum Chester Taylor, who had himself a nice decade+ career in the NFL.
General consensus has him going late 3rd/early 4th.
I feel that's criminally low for a back with his traits/game.

What say you?

I think the 3rd/4th is right for him, not because he isn't a quality back, it is that the top 100 is so loaded with talent. The draft is so deep at DB, edge rushers, WRs, RBs, and ILBs that someone has to slide. I think Hunt will be, at worst, a quality backup in the NFL with the potential of being a starter. He just needs to be in the right situation to be a starter.

So I read a few of your opinions on guys like Phillips, Williams, Watt so I hope I am not making you repeat yourself but here are a few late round prospects I wanted to know what you thought.

Ejuan Price, Darius English (exact opposite of Price), Avery Moss and Keion Adams. I definitely want a round 1-3 edge guy and I would hope an edge guy falls in round one. But I am not against double dipping the position later in the draft.

Ejuan Price isn't athletic enough for me to be an full-time edge. His size hurts as well. Avery Moss is the same. Just not great athletes. Darius English, no, just no. All he does is rush the passer. SC desperately needed him to step up this year and he just didn't. I don't even invite him to camp. Of the group, Keion Adams is the only guy that interests me. He plays a lot on the other side of the LOS. Decent size. Decent athlete. Needs coaching. I can see going after him after the draft, but I don't have him ahead of guys like Javancy Jones or Ebukam.

Ejuan Price isn't athletic enough for me to be an full-time edge. His size hurts as well. Avery Moss is the same. Just not great athletes. Darius English, no, just no. All he does is rush the passer. SC desperately needed him to step up this year and he just didn't. I don't even invite him to camp. Of the group, Keion Adams is the only guy that interests me. He plays a lot on the other side of the LOS. Decent size. Decent athlete. Needs coaching. I can see going after him after the draft, but I don't have him ahead of guys like Javancy Jones or Ebukam.

Very interesting. I really like Ejuan Price and I know and understand what you are saying. He's short, undersized, not crazy strong, nothing really pops out when you look at him or see his numbers. But watching him on film he is relentless, has an awesome first step, seems to set up his guy for a counter move or inside bounce. He reminds me a lot of James Harrison coming out of Kent State. Harrison needed some time to get his feet wet, get conditioned, ad some bulk and look at what he turned into. Not saying he is going to be Debo II but one thing you can't teach is desire and motor and I feel Price has that intangible quality.

Regarding post #428, nice board you made there, by the way, is Charles Harris really off the top 10 pure edge rushers?

If by any chance Humphrey were there, with McKinley and watt also available. Who do you take? I think we can get very good talent for olb at 2nd round but a guy like Humphrey would be top 12 in any other draft

The way TMC is talking and the way his board is stacking up, it will be very difficult for the Steelers to **** up this draft :-)

At least at pick #30. I think you guys have convinced yourself about 10 guys are acceptable at this point.

Is there someone you really want us to stay away from that would get you upset? If they have some of your choices at DB/OLB available and pick one of the top-3 WR's that might fall (Williams, Ross, Davis), would that upset you?

If they are worried about LT/Villanueva more than we know and pick Ramczyk or Robinson, would that upset you?

Also, on another note from your list... Is Tebor almost off your round 1-2 board now? Did that 4.70 time at his pro day just kill him? I am really torn where to put him now. It's like he went from top-30 on tape to out of the top-50 now. That time is BAD........ Like a 1/10th worse than bad. He's like the Jarvis Jones of DB's....

Regarding post #428, nice board you made there, by the way, is Charles Harris really off the top 10 pure edge rushers?

If by any chance Humphrey were there, with McKinley and watt also available. Who do you take? I think we can get very good talent for olb at 2nd round but a guy like Humphrey would be top 12 in any other draft

I probably could have thrown Charles Harris in there with the 4-3 DEs somewhere, but I was struggling a little with that list. I really don't like Harris, Charlton, or Barnett for us. I just don't. I keep going back to the film on these three wondering what I am missing, why everyone else loves them and I don't....and I still don't see it. I think that all three, once they "step up in class", will have issues. So, I could have put him on there but didn't. I could have left off Barnett and Charlton and not missed either of them too. I think those are hand in the dirt kind of players and I think we still crave the flexibility.

Humphrey won't be there, probably the top 5 corners go before we pick, but I take Humphrey, Conley, or Lattimore ahead of anyone. They all should be 10-year starters that lock down one side. The only edge rusher I see that is that complete right now should be looking for housing in Cleveland. When I said I thought the top 4 come off before any corner, I was thinking that the top 5 corners (Conley, Lattimore, Humphrey, White, and Awuzie) are gone. Awuzie was invited to the draft today, one of the top 22 players.

I think, and I could be wrong, you see Conley, Humphrey, and Lattimore go top 15.

The way TMC is talking and the way his board is stacking up, it will be very difficult for the Steelers to **** up this draft :-)

At least at pick #30. I think you guys have convinced yourself about 10 guys are acceptable at this point.

Is there someone you really want us to stay away from that would get you upset? If they have some of your choices at DB/OLB available and pick one of the top-3 WR's that might fall (Williams, Ross, Davis), would that upset you?

If they are worried about LT/Villanueva more than we know and pick Ramczyk or Robinson, would that upset you?

Also, on another note from your list... Is Tebor almost off your round 1-2 board now? Did that 4.70 time at his pro day just kill him? I am really torn where to put him now. It's like he went from top-30 on tape to out of the top-50 now. That time is BAD........ Like a 1/10th worse than bad. He's like the Jarvis Jones of DB's....

You could almost let Coach draft and come away with decent talent. As for guys I don't want. I am not a fan of Derek Barnett (really don't think he slides that far), Charles Harris, or Taco Charlton as first round OLBs. I don't like Tankersley, to me he is a zone corner that has to learn man. We are well stocked. Peppers was in that group, warming....and any QB. I really don't want an OL either. I mean, they are talking about extending him when they can lock him up for 2 more years without paying him long-term. If they did not like him, they would not be talking about it. So, I'm not worried about OL. But, that might tick me off.

Teez Tabor is out of my top 64. Not only is it his poor 40-time, he has some character concerns that once I started digging, getting some information from Florida fans, I'm not so thrilled with. I can live with him in the 3rd if you want him in the slot. He needs to be covered up on the back end like he was at Florida. He is a short area zone corner that needs help over the top. A Tampa-2 team can draft him and make him a solid player, you just cannot expect him to turn and run with NFL WRs all the way down the field. But, he will still hit you. He will still jump the short routes. He still has great route recognition. None of that left when he ran poorly. You just have to have a plan when you draft him. I'm kind of looking for players that can be scheme diverse, like Awuzie, Baker, Watt, etc.

I mention in my thread probably a month ago that a friend of mine here in Delaware who went to Florida and is a huge fan told me he considered Quincy Wilson better than Tebor. Wilson was the harder worker, did all the small things, etc. I told him at the time the draftnik community had a pretty big difference between them and some in the media was gushing over Tebor.

I think he was right. Sounds like Wilson could get picked ahead of him.

If they have some of your choices at DB/OLB available and pick one of the top-3 WR's that might fall (Williams, Ross, Davis), would that upset you?

yes

not as much as WR, especially, if they can play elsewhere along the line in a pinch.

I guess if I blended those two lists to make a list of how I think the players go and who is there when we pick, might as well throw in the safeties too. I'm still a little unsure which way I would go if presented with Baker/Watt/McKinley at #30, but here is the list and the line is who I think is gone:
1-Malik Hooker, FS, Ohio State
2-Gareon Conley, CB, Ohio State
3-Marshon Lattimore, CB, Ohio State
4-Marlon Humphrey, CB, Alabama
5-Jamal Adams, S, LSU-only reason he isn't higher is we have Davis. I could take him and flip Davis to FS.
6-Jabrill Peppers, SS, Michigan
7-Chidobe Awuzie, CB, Colorado
8-Haason Reddick, OLB, Temple
9-TreDavious White, CB, LSU
10-Budda Baker, S, Washington
11-TJ Watt, OLB, Wisconsin.
12-Takk McKinley, OLB UCLA
13-Carl Lawson, OLB, Auburn
14-Adoree Jackson, CB, USC
15-Kevin King, CB, Washington.
16-Quincy Wilson, CB, Florida.
17-Josh Jones, SS, NC State
18-Obi Melinfonwu, SS, Connecticut
19-Desmond King, S, Iowa
20-Derek Rivers, OLB, Youngstown State
21-Marcus Maye, FS, Florida
22-Marcus Williams, FS, Utah
23-Ryan Anderson. OLB, Alabama
24-Tyus Bowser, OLB, Houston
25-Sidney Jones, CB, Washington
26-Fabiran Moreau, CB, UCLA
27-Rasul Douglas, CB, WV
28-Tim Williams, OLB, Alabama
29-Howard Wilson, CB, Houston
30-Vince Biegel, OLB, Wisconsin

If they have some of your choices at DB/OLB available and pick one of the top-3 WR's that might fall (Williams, Ross, Davis), would that upset you?

I want to touch on this....because I think this WR class is criminally underrated. I have a WR metric I have been messing with and each season, it usually spits out about 5 WRs that are filtered out of two other metrics. One is ESPN's old "Playmaker" metric where you take all of their collegiate production, weigh it per game, and then it gives them a score. I also take some of the physical attributes of the WRs and adjust it based on height to attempt to find WRs with the physical characteristic needed to run a full route tree. I only use combine WRs because I feel like NFL scouts have already filtered them some. As I said, I usually get a handful of guys I considered "complete" WRs. This year, it spit out 22.

So, would I be upset with a WR? Not really. I think that Williams makes so many contested catches, he could be a handful for most corners. Corey Davis is just the man. I mean, damn, he does it all. Ross is more than just a speed WR, but his injury history scares me. I love Zay Jones and Chris Godwin. In a draft less deep, both are first round WRs. Elite physical traits, great hands, great production. So, no, I'm good with whatever position they draft. If they draft OLB, CB, CB, RB, WR, etc, and filter down the "needs" list, next draft, we will have another list of about 8 "needs". Needs never go away. So, I don't get too caught up in needs, I'd rather have the most talented player that makes us better for a decade. If that is a WR, so be it.

Kicking it back to offense. What are your thoughts on Bucky Hodges, Michael Roberts, and Jonathan Dorsey for TE?

Bucky Hodges is really a big WR. He doesn't block well, was doing an interview on Siruis radio where he stated he was only asked to play inline and block 14 times all season. He talked up playing the X. So, if you want an inline TE, which is what we use, I don't think Hodges fits. Roberts does, big, not very athletic (athletic enough), but really great hands. Nice weapon near the goal line. Dorsey is tough to get film on, not much out there. He looks like a WR more than a pure TE, usually splits out in the slot, runs well, nice catch radius, will high point the football. As an inline blocker, he gives good effort. But, he wasn't really tested on that level, big, really big step up in competition.

Thanks for all the draft insight. I feel much better prepared for how our draft might fall.

As an aside, does anyone have any strong opinions on Chad Kelly? I saw a few Ole Miss games and thought that he looked the part (apart from the history of poor behaviour). I've read a couple of profiles since which make him seem like just as a QB, without the baggage he might not get drafted. Is that likely? He looked like he had a lot of natural talent to me.

I kind of liked his tape too Slaine. Of all the late round flyers at QB (and I still think the Steelers will pull the trigger on one), I kind of like Kelly the best. I've heard on the radio people like Bill Polian kind of vouch for the kid's character. And I think there is potential for him to "grow up".

His tape isn't perfect. And I think there are some durability issues with him and his style of play, but maybe coming back north close to home (but not too close) might work. He's from Buffalo so I don't think the elements here in Pittsburgh will bother him.

As a clip board holder for maybe a rookie contract, I kind of like the idea to tell you the truth.

Kelley just had surgery on his wrist.

Also ended his season with an ACL, I think.

Just as soon them pass. If they take him after 5th round, wouldn't bother me.

Chad Kelly is a tough eval for me. I mean, he has nice arm strength, ball jumps out his hand, throws with velocity and doesn't have to muscle up, in fact, he still makes some strong throws without setting his feet. Mechanically, his footwork is a bit of a mess and if you clean that up, might help with some of the accuracy and under throws. I see him like I see Davis Webb, a lot of physical tools and could become an NFL starter, but when I start down the "I don't know if he will" I can just keep going and going and going. He gambles, can lock in on guys and try to thread it in. Don't know how well he reads defenses. He was diagnosed with ADD and they changed the playbook to accommodate him. I don't want to sound like I am discriminating against someone with ADD, but can he grasp our current playbook? Would we need to scale it down post Ben to accommodate? Then you start piling on the off-the-field stuff, just dumb ****, I just don't know if I'm even interested in having him in camp.

The one QB that I kind of like is Peterman. He is one guy that will stand in with free runners coming at him and still step in and throw the football to open receivers. Tough guy. Kind of has that Matt Moore feel, but I think there is more there to him. I think he needs a good QB coach to clean up the footwork and help him improve his consistency. But, he operates under center, so a lot of that should be there. Foundation for a good QB appears to be there with him. I'd rather have Peterman than most of the other QBs in this draft.

TMC,

If we got our CB, Edge, Safety or WR (in no particular order) in the first 3 picks, would you take him in the 4th? Or use the pick for a RB/TE or another CB?

Bucky Hodges is really a big WR. He doesn't block well, was doing an interview on Siruis radio where he stated he was only asked to play inline and block 14 times all season. He talked up playing the X. So, if you want an inline TE, which is what we use, I don't think Hodges fits. Roberts does, big, not very athletic (athletic enough), but really great hands. Nice weapon near the goal line. Dorsey is tough to get film on, not much out there. He looks like a WR more than a pure TE, usually splits out in the slot, runs well, nice catch radius, will high point the football. As an inline blocker, he gives good effort. But, he wasn't really tested on that level, big, really big step up in competition.

So what do you think Green offers in the way of inline blocking? I never saw blocking as a strong suit for Green and even though I feel James is adequate he is not "good" at it either. I guess when you compare to Miller though it's going to be hard finding a replacement at that level.

Personally I feel TE is not that big of a priority unless a super value falls to us. I think James is good enough to get it done and anything we get from Green would be icing on the cake.

TMC,

If we got our CB, Edge, Safety or WR (in no particular order) in the first 3 picks, would you take him in the 4th? Or use the pick for a RB/TE or another CB?

Would I take Chad Kelly in the 4th? In no realm of my imagination can I see Kelly in the 4th.

So what do you think Green offers in the way of inline blocking? I never saw blocking as a strong suit for Green and even though I feel James is adequate he is not "good" at it either. I guess when you compare to Miller though it's going to be hard finding a replacement at that level.

Personally I feel TE is not that big of a priority unless a super value falls to us. I think James is good enough to get it done and anything we get from Green would be icing on the cake.

I think Green has been an inline blocker. He isn't great at it, but he is willing. Hodges is a matador at it. Just different. He is very similar to Evan Engram in that aspect, although Engram "gives effort", he just sucks as a blocker. So, if a TE cannot block inline, what is the difference between a receiving TE and a big WR? You can get big WRs that run just as fast in the 6th. I always rank the TEs that can block and catch higher than I do the 1-trick guys. I mean, if Hodges was an elite receiver, I mean game changing, sure. I just don't see that.

I'd rather have Howard, Njoku (duh), Gerald Everett, Jordan Leggett, and Jake Butt ahead of Engram or Hodges. I mean, if we consider Green that pure receiving TE, why do we need two of those guys?