• Please be aware we've switched the forums to their own URL. (again) You'll find the new website address to be www.steelernationforum.com Thanks
  • Please clear your private messages. Your inbox is close to being full.

2017 NFL Draft Q&A

TMC thanks for your much needed input here. It's nice having you back. I think bud Dupree lights come on this year. With Heyward healthy a solid slot guy like baker or even a Peppers would fill the $backer spot well in the 3-3-5. But if a TaKK was their how could you pass him up to replace Harrison? I think this might be a year they move up with the comp picks we have if someone falls. Better to have a guy you really want over a extra pick.

I'm not as against Peppers as I was, but I am hoping someone drafts him before our pick because I really don't want him and I'm hoping we don't get the chance. I'm not sure he busts anymore, but I am not sure he is a great defensive player either.

Could I pass on Takk? Sure, if someone better were there. I don't see the Steelers moving up. IMO, this is the year you want as many picks as you can get in the top 100 selections. There is just too much potential starting talent there to give away a player to move up.

Could I pass on Takk? Sure, if someone better were there. I don't see the Steelers moving up. IMO, this is the year you want as many picks as you can get in the top 100 selections. There is just too much potential starting talent there to give away a player to move up.

That 3rd round comp pick means a lot, IMO. Four picks in the top 105 is solid, particularly in this draft.

Lots of talk about a huge DB first round as so many have been invited to the green room for the draft. Not good news for us. IMO if keeping ahead of the position runs is the right thing to do then we go edge rusher in the first.

I'd rather not see Zay Jones or Chris Godwin in our division.

UNLESS, of course... they somehow ended up on the Steelers!

Got in late... just watched Path to the Draft... they have Jordan Willis going to he Steelers at #64. NFLDRAFTSCOUT has him at #64... Gil Brandt has him at #40... and Charlie Campbell (WaterFootball) has him at #82--all these are based on their respective Big Boards. Thoughts?

I know he is from a small-school guy, but he dominated... he also blew it up at the combine... including drills (DLine). Big 12 Defensive Player of the Year and Team Captain. I initially thought he might be available at #94... I guess not?

Last edited:
UNLESS, of course... they somehow ended up on the Steelers!

Got in late... just watched Path to the Draft... they have Jordan Willis going to he Steelers at #64. NFLDRAFTSCOUT has him at #64... Gil Brandt has him at #40... and Charlie Campbell (WaterFootball) has him at #82--all these are based on their respective Big Boards. Thoughts?

I know he is from a small-school guy, but he dominated... he also blew it up at the combine... including drills (DLine). Big 12 Defensive Player of the Year and Team Captain. I initially thought he might be available at #94... I guess not?

I want to like Jordan Willis, I really do, but I don't. I think he is a down 4-3 DE. He plays pretty straight forward and tries to drive past blockers. He really doesn't play to his athletic traits, not really a hustler either, will give up on plays away from him too often for me. Most of his sacks came from getting on the outside shoulder of the OT and just rubbing past. I don't see a lot of technique with him. I don't see a lot of bend or twitch. He should be exploding off the ball with his physical characteristics, but he doesn't. Maybe someone can coach him up. I just don't know if he loves football or not. He is the type of guy you have to be in the room with to see where his head is. I mean, if we go corner in the first and he is the best OLB available in the 2nd, I get it, I might not like it, but I get it.

As much as I like Takk, it still pains me to take him knowing he probably won't play at all this year and we need immediate help at pass rush. His rehab will cause him to miss most of OTA's and camp, if not all. If that happens, I see no way he plays this year. But, for future years, he would be a beast paired with Bud.

As much as I like Takk, it still pains me to take him knowing he probably won't play at all this year and we need immediate help at pass rush. His rehab will cause him to miss most of OTA's and camp, if not all. If that happens, I see no way he plays this year. But, for future years, he would be a beast paired with Bud.

Then this is why you double up on the edge position if you can

I'm not sure I would state he won't play at all. He should be ready sometime in camp. Reports are, his rehab is going well. If we expect any rookie to start, we are likely facing disappointment heading into the season. I'm not stating they cannot start, I am simply stating that should not be the expectation and with Dupree and Harrison, I doubt any rookie would be a starter. TJ Watt is fully healthy and I am not sure how many snaps he would challenge Dupree and Harrison for, not even sure he takes snaps from Chickillo. I draft guys with the expectation of them giving me 5 good years, hopefully 10, so I won't draft with a 6 month window as my goal.

I'm not so sure they double down on OLBs either. They signed Harrison for 2-years. They have Dupree. They have Chickillo. If you draft two, either Chickillo or Moats will be on the chopping block. I don't think that is the strategy. Now, they could draft a guy like Javancy Jones or Ebukam that can play inside and outside. That is a possibility.

Lots of talk about a huge DB first round as so many have been invited to the green room for the draft. Not good news for us. IMO if keeping ahead of the position runs is the right thing to do then we go edge rusher in the first.

looking at some mocks around the net, yesterday, some have a pretty good run on DB's early in the second.

Lots of "experts" have Watt and Lawson ranked as second rounders. I think we can potentially go db in rd1 and nab an OLB in 2. I would like to trade back, but I know our FO likes to have the 5th round option year that goes with 1st rounders though. Would be a great year to acquire a high 3rd rounder from San Fran or Cleveland.

I don't know about Lawson but if Watt falls to the second it won't be farther than pick 34 -37. He is as high as 20 in some. I don't see him falling to 60's in any way.

What do you think about Tanoh Kpassagnon from Villanova?

My favorite player this year

I know DE is not a "need" but I saw him ranked as a 5th round prospect. If we got an OLB, CB, and S I would be fine taking him in the 3rd or 4th and giving us some nice depth at the position.

Dude does not look nearly 300lbs.

With us playing the nickle or possibly the dime going forward so much more then base. He would be ideal. Let him line up at DE and go get the the QB. Would also give us a bigger DE against teams who force who only want us in our nickle so they can run the ball easier. But he is a good enough athlete to line up as OLB and play as as end in or 3-4 also..

I would love to go best DB or Baker/Obi in the first then Rivers then Tanoh then DB again with our first four picks

Sent from my HTC6535LVW using Steeler Nation mobile app

Last edited:
Yeah, he looked agile enough to get out and cover in zone. I honestly could see the Steelers go Edge, S, CB, LB, and DL before taking an offensive player. Normally the Steelers try to even things out by going 50/50 but it's clear the offense is good enough to get the job done but our defense needs to take a big step forward for us to win another super bowl.

Kpassagnon is a very athletic big man. I think he is going to develop into a pretty good pass rusher for his size. I could see him being a really good 3-4 DE or maybe a LDE in a 4-3. He is raw, but the physical traits are there and he plays hard.

Biegel is on the radar. Steelers had dinner with him and Watt when they visited. Real similar on film to Watt, not as athletic, but makes plays. I think if the edge rushers go early and they are left without a higher end guy, he is a target.

THiS.....

From nfl.com....
Pittsburgh Steelers (8 total picks)

» Round 1: Pick 30 overall
» Round 2: Pick 62
» Round 3: Picks 94 and 105 (compensatory selection)
» Round 4: Pick 135
» Round 5: Pick 173
» Round 6: Pick 213
» Round 7: Pick 248

Biggest needs: Pass rusher, linebacker, tight end.

The Steelers are missing blue-chip performers at the backbone position of their defense -- outside linebacker -- so it is imperative that they find an impact pass rusher in the draft to remain a playoff contender. James Harrison can't play forever. Given the priority of the position, the Steelers could make a run at any of the possible candidates who could be within range near the bottom of the first round. Missouri's Charles Harris, Michigan's Taco Charlton, Temple's Haason Reddick and Alabama's Tim Williams offer some intriguing skills. At inside linebacker, the team needs to replace the departed Lawrence Timmons. Pittsburgh could hone in on a rock-solid tackling machine like Ohio's Blair Brown, LSU's Kendell Beckwith or Illinois' Hardy Nickerson in the later rounds. On offense, the team needs to find a big-time TE1 to occupy the middle of the field in the passing game. Miami's David Njoku would be the ideal candidate, given his size/speed combination, but he might not be around when the Steelers go on the clock. The team could target Ashland's Adam Shaheen or Michigan's Jake Butt as traditional tight end prospects on Day 2.

Follow Bucky Brooks on Twitter @BuckyBrooks.

From nfl.com....
Pittsburgh Steelers (8 total picks)

» Round 1: Pick 30 overall
» Round 2: Pick 62
» Round 3: Picks 94 and 105 (compensatory selection)
» Round 4: Pick 135
» Round 5: Pick 173
» Round 6: Pick 213
» Round 7: Pick 248

Biggest needs: Pass rusher, linebacker, tight end.

The Steelers are missing blue-chip performers at the backbone position of their defense -- outside linebacker -- so it is imperative that they find an impact pass rusher in the draft to remain a playoff contender. James Harrison can't play forever. Given the priority of the position, the Steelers could make a run at any of the possible candidates who could be within range near the bottom of the first round. Missouri's Charles Harris, Michigan's Taco Charlton, Temple's Haason Reddick and Alabama's Tim Williams offer some intriguing skills. At inside linebacker, the team needs to replace the departed Lawrence Timmons. Pittsburgh could hone in on a rock-solid tackling machine like Ohio's Blair Brown, LSU's Kendell Beckwith or Illinois' Hardy Nickerson in the later rounds. On offense, the team needs to find a big-time TE1 to occupy the middle of the field in the passing game. Miami's David Njoku would be the ideal candidate, given his size/speed combination, but he might not be around when the Steelers go on the clock. The team could target Ashland's Adam Shaheen or Michigan's Jake Butt as traditional tight end prospects on Day 2.

Follow Bucky Brooks on Twitter @BuckyBrooks.

He's forgetting an important position, DB, way more critical than the TE situation for the Steelers

yeah i find it interesting how different people feel like the steelers need different things, any they are all over....

About a week before the draft, here are my picks.

Round 1, Pick 30 (30) McKinley, Takkarist EDGE 6'2" 250 UCLA
Round 2, Pick 30 (62) Jones, Josh S 6'1" 220 N.C. State
Round 3, Pick 30 (94) Kpassagnon, Tanoh DE 6'7" 289 Villanova
Round 3, Pick 41 (105) Foreman, D'onta RB 6'0" 233 Texas
Round 4, Pick 29 (135) Griffin, Shaquill CB 6'0" 194 Central Florida
Round 5, Pick 30 (173) Langley, Brendan CB 6'0" 201 Lamar
Round 6, Pick 30 (213) Davis, Robert WR 6'3" 219 Georgia State
Round 7, Pick 30 (248) Ebukam, Samson OLB 6'3" 240 Eastern Washington

Would absolutely love it

I would be happy with that.

Why not a starting cb in rd 2?