• Please be aware we've switched the forums to their own URL. (again) You'll find the new website address to be www.steelernationforum.com Thanks
  • Please clear your private messages. Your inbox is close to being full.

2017 NFL Draft Q&A

Thanks TMC, sounds like a dicey pick even later on in the draft. Appreciate your insight.

I'd take a flyer on Mathis in the 6th. Dude is strong as heck. One thing Jarvis didn't have going for him. He might hit the practice squad for a year but most late round picks do anyway, if they make it that far.

TMC, all the bloggers are flooding the airways with names, I'm hearing and seeing these two players more often...what's your take and do they fit the scheme?

S - Kia Nacuna -BYU
WR - Kenny Golladay - NIU

Sent from my iPhone using Steeler Nation mobile app

TMC, all the bloggers are flooding the airways with names, I'm hearing and seeing these two players more often...what's your take and do they fit the scheme?

S - Kia Nacuna -BYU
WR - Kenny Golladay - NIU

Sent from my iPhone using Steeler Nation mobile app

Nucua got hot because of a great pro day, but he isn't an easy guy to evaluate. I mean, he generally does his job, but the BYU defense breaks down so fast, you just don't know if he can translate that athleticism to an NFL field. He doesn't seem overly instinctual. He is better as a deep safety and does a good job of staying deeper than the deepest. If you overthrow, he has sticky hands, but he doesn't man up much or walk down on guys. The other safety really struggled and was attacked way more often. He played both strong and free. As a late round guy, he is worth a shot, but I would not carry great expectations with him.

Golladay is different. He is a middle round WR. He is a big dude that can run. Good change of direction. Great hands. Has to be a better route runner and get better about keeping both feet down. He has a nice, big catch radius though. Still becoming a complete WR. Lots of upside, could be an instant deep threat.

Golladay is different. He is a middle round WR. He is a big dude that can run. Good change of direction. Great hands. Has to be a better route runner and get better about keeping both feet down. He has a nice, big catch radius though. Still becoming a complete WR. Lots of upside, could be an instant deep threat.

Would you take Golladay in the 5th or Robert Davis in the 6th? And head to head, if you had to pick between the two straight up?

So, back to Takk...you mentioned that he played with a shoulder injury and reading some material, it is stated that the injury may make him slide but he may not be ready to go right away. The video you posted, he didn't seem to be suffering from any injury issues (granted working out and playing are not the same, but he didn't seem hampered). Maybe the workout video was from before surgery? Looks like he must have had surgery after his Pro Day.

Would you take Golladay in the 5th or Robert Davis in the 6th? And head to head, if you had to pick between the two straight up?

Golladay. He is more NFL ready than Davis. Davis doesn't always separate and play to his physical gifts. He needs more time. He might end up being the better pro in 5 years, but I cannot wait 3 to find out. I need WRs that can step in and stretch the field now.

So, back to Takk...you mentioned that he played with a shoulder injury and reading some material, it is stated that the injury may make him slide but he may not be ready to go right away. The video you posted, he didn't seem to be suffering from any injury issues (granted working out and playing are not the same, but he didn't seem hampered). Maybe the workout video was from before surgery? Looks like he must have had surgery after his Pro Day.

He was injure in the video. He went to the combine injured and worked out for all the teams while injured. He had surgery right after the combine and the recovery time is 4-6 months. The surgery was early March. At his pro day, he stated he was ahead of schedule and two weeks after surgery, the doctor had cleared him to resume driving. He said he was rehabbing Monday through Saturday, every day, so he could get back on the field. I'm thinking the time frame for getting him back on the field is mid-July at the earliest and mid-September at the latest, barring any setbacks.

Would you take him at #30? Do you like him better than Harris, Watt, or Lawson....for us?

He was injure in the video. He went to the combine injured and worked out for all the teams while injured. He had surgery right after the combine and the recovery time is 4-6 months. The surgery was early March. At his pro day, he stated he was ahead of schedule and two weeks after surgery, the doctor had cleared him to resume driving. He said he was rehabbing Monday through Saturday, every day, so he could get back on the field. I'm thinking the time frame for getting him back on the field is mid-July at the earliest and mid-September at the latest, barring any setbacks.

Would you take him at #30? Do you like him better than Harris, Watt, or Lawson....for us?

That's what I'm wondering too. It would be cool to see a TMC-driven, Steelers-minded ultimate OLB/Edge rusher ranking, top to bottom, to see how these guys stack up. They're gonna come off the board mighty quick, that I'm pretty sure of. Here's a random listing of the top 20 or so guys, TMC feel free to stack them how you see 'em.

Myles Garrett*, DE, Texas A&M
Solomon Thomas*, DE, Stanford
Taco Charlton, DE, Michigan
Derek Barnett*, DE, Tennessee
Charles Harris, DE, Missouri
Takkarist McKinley, DE/OLB, UCLA
T.J. Watt*, 3-4OLB, Wisconsin
Jordan Willis, DE/OLB, Kansas State
Tyus Bowser, 3-4OLB, Houston
Tim Williams, DE/OLB, Alabama
Dawuane Smoot, DE, Illinois
Ryan Anderson, 3-4OLB, Alabama
Demarcus Walker, 3-4OLB, Florida State
Derek Rivers, DE/OLB, Youngstown
Carroll Phillips, DE/OLB, Illinois
Daeshon Hall, DE, Texas A&M
Carl Lawson*, DE, Auburn
Trey Hendrickson, DE, Florida Atlantic
Tarell Basham, DE, Ohio
Josh Carraway, DE/OLB, TCU
Keionta Davis, DE, UT-Chattanooga

Feel free to add anyone I missed. Thanks man!

I think Taco is more of a 4-2 guy

That's what I'm wondering too. It would be cool to see a TMC-driven, Steelers-minded ultimate OLB/Edge rusher ranking, top to bottom, to see how these guys stack up. They're gonna come off the board mighty quick, that I'm pretty sure of. Here's a random listing of the top 20 or so guys, TMC feel free to stack them how you see 'em.

Carl Lawson*, DE, Auburn
Tarell Basham, DE, Ohio

I would take him at #30. I like him better than all three, but it really depends on what you want to do. If you want a guy that plays up the field, can bend, like a younger Harrison, then I think Lawson is the guy. If you want a longer player that can cover better and has work to do as an edge/POA player, then it is Watt. If you want someone in the middle, it is Takk.

Carl Lawson*, DE, Auburn
Tarell Basham, DE, Ohio

First, Charles Harris, Derek Barnett, Tim Williams, Taco Charlton, Tarrell Basham, and Daeshon Hall are guys I'm not really interested in, for a variety of reasons, be it fit, off-the-field, or just bad film/athletic numbers. All of them throw up warning flags for me. So, for us, I'd rank them:
Myles Garrett
Solomon Thomas
Haason Reddick
Takk McKinley
TJ Watt
Carl Lawson
Tyus Bowser
Derek Rivers
Demarcus Walker
Ryan Anderson
Jordan Willis
Trey Hendrickson
Dawuane Smoot
Carroll Phillips
Josh Carraway
Hunter Dimick
Samson Ebukam
Joe Mathis
Vince Beigel
Keionta Davis
Tashawn Bower

Let me also add, I can see Haason Reddick being in the mix if they are planning some type of hybrid defense, because he can cover about as good as any LB in this draft, he can blitz, he holds the point, he does it all. If he were 2" taller and 10 pounds heavier, he would be a prototype 3-4 OLB.

Last edited:
Thanks TMC, that's great feedback! I hope you don't mind me putting you on the spot, could you do the same with the CB's? Ranked in order of your preference for what you think the Steelers are looking for. Much appreciated. Here's the latest rankings from walterfootball, adjust to your liking.

Marshon Lattimore**, CB, Ohio State
Marlon Humphrey**, CB, Alabama
Gareon Conley*, CB, Ohio State
Adoree' Jackson*, CB, USC
Kevin King, CB, Washington
Tre'Davious White, CB, LSU
Jalen Tabor*, CB, Florida
Quincy Wilson*, CB, Florida
Fabian Moreau, CB, UCLA
Ahkello Witherspoon, CB, Colorado
Cordrea Tankersley, CB, Clemson
Sidney Jones*, CB, Washington
Jourdan Lewis, CB, Michigan
Desmond King, CB, Iowa
Howard Wilson*, CB, Houston
Cameron Sutton, CB, Tennessee
Brendan Langley, CB, Lamar
Rasul Douglas, CB, West Virginia
Shaquil Griffin, CB, Central Florida
Dwayne Thomas, CB, LSU
Ezra Robinson, CB, Tennessee State
Corn Elder, CB, Miami
Chidobe Awuzie, CB, Colorado
Jalen Myrick, CB, Minnesota
Nate Hairston, CB, Temple
Marquez White, CB, Florida State
Damontae Kazee, CB, San Diego State

Thanks TMC, that's great feedback! I hope you don't mind me putting you on the spot, could you do the same with the CB's? Ranked in order of your preference for what you think the Steelers are looking for. Much appreciated. Here's the latest rankings from walterfootball, adjust to your liking.

Marshon Lattimore**, CB, Ohio State
Marlon Humphrey**, CB, Alabama
Gareon Conley*, CB, Ohio State
Adoree' Jackson*, CB, USC
Kevin King, CB, Washington
Tre'Davious White, CB, LSU
Jalen Tabor*, CB, Florida
Quincy Wilson*, CB, Florida
Fabian Moreau, CB, UCLA
Ahkello Witherspoon, CB, Colorado
Cordrea Tankersley, CB, Clemson
Sidney Jones*, CB, Washington
Jourdan Lewis, CB, Michigan
Desmond King, CB, Iowa
Howard Wilson*, CB, Houston
Cameron Sutton, CB, Tennessee
Brendan Langley, CB, Lamar
Rasul Douglas, CB, West Virginia
Shaquil Griffin, CB, Central Florida
Dwayne Thomas, CB, LSU
Ezra Robinson, CB, Tennessee State
Corn Elder, CB, Miami
Chidobe Awuzie, CB, Colorado
Jalen Myrick, CB, Minnesota
Nate Hairston, CB, Temple
Marquez White, CB, Florida State
Damontae Kazee, CB, San Diego State

Gareon Conley
Marshon Lattimore
Marlon Humphrey
Tre'Davious White
Chidobe Awuzie
Kevin King
Adoree Jackson
Quincy Wilson
Cameron Sutton
Sidney Jones
Rasul Douglas (might be higher)
Fabian Moreau
Teez Tabor
Ahkello Witherspoon
Howard Wilson
Jalen Myrick
Damontae Kazee
Cordrea Tankersley (more of a zone only corner)
Jourdan Lewis
Shaquille Griffin
Nate Hairston
Marquez White
Corn Elder
Brendan Langley
Dwayne Thomas
Ezra Robinson

Desmond King is another zone corner with limited long speed, probably moves to safety.

Takk McKinley
TJ Watt
Carl Lawson
Tyus Bowser

If I was a betting man I think one of these four will be picked come pick 30.

TMC and others.

I don't believe they will BUT

if the Steelers wanted to trade up in round 2. To insure they had a solid CB to go with the round one OLBer pick or vice versa.

What would they have to give up to get in the top ten of round two?

TMC and others. I don't believe they will BUT if the Steelers wanted to trade up in round 2. To insure they had a solid CB to go with the round one OLBer pick or vice versa. What would they have to give up to get in the top ten of round two?

This is the reference chart for trading draft picks > http://walterfootball.com/draftchart.php

For example, if we wanted to move up to Rnd 2 Pick 8, that's the 40th pick worth 500 pts. So to move up to that slot, we would need to package picks equal to (or at least close to) that 500 pt mark. To give you an idea of what that would take, you could package our 62nd (284 pts), 94th (124 pts), and 124th (48 pts) picks and that's still only 456 pts. So Colbert would have to dip into next year's draft, which I doubt he would do unless they REALLY fell in love with someone. It also goes to show what a haul can be had when moving down....which in a deep draft like this may be the way to go.

Last edited:

I just read through the Annual Beat-Writers' Mock Draft (LA Times).

Gerry Dulac picked for us. Do you think he has any more insight into the Steelers plans that the rest of us?

Here it is...

1- Cleveland Browns DE Myles Garrett, Texas A&M Mary Kay Cabot, Cleveland Plain Dealer
2-San Francisco 49ers DE Solomon Thomas, Stanford Matt Barrows, Sacramento Bee
3-Chicago Bears FS Malik Hooker, Ohio State Rich Campbell, Chicago Tribune
4-Jacksonville Jaguars DT Jonathan Allen, Alabama Ryan O’Halloran, Florida Times-Union
5-Tennessee Titans SS Jamal Adams, LSU Jason Wolf, The Tennesseean
6-New York Jets CB Marshon Lattimore, Ohio State Brian Costello, New York Post
7-Los Angeles Chargers WR Mike Williams, Clemson Dan Woike, Los Angeles Times
8-Carolina Panthers RB Leonard Fournette, LSU Joe Person, Charlotte Observer
9-Cincinnati Bengals DE Derek Barnett, Tennessee Paul Dehner, Cincinnati Enquirer
10-Buffalo Bills QB Mitchell Trubisky, North Carolina Tim Graham, Buffalo News
11-New Orleans Saints OLB Haason Reddick, Temple Jeff Duncan, New Orleans Times-Picayune
12-Cleveland Browns TE O.J. Howard, Alabama Jeff Schudel, News Herald
13-Arizona Cardinals ILB Reuben Foster, Alabama Kent Somers, Arizona Republic
14-Philadelphia Eagles WR John Ross, Washington Les Bowen, Philadelphia Daily News
15-Indianapolis Colts OLB Takkarist McKinley, UCLA Stephen Holder, Indianapolis Star
16-Baltimore Ravens WR Corey Davis, Western Michigan Jeff Zrebeic, Baltimore Sun
17-Washington Redskins RB Christian McCaffrey, Stanford Master Tesfatsion, Washington Post
18-Tennessee Titans OL Forrest Lamp, Western Kentucky Jason Wolf, Tennessean
19-Tampa Bay Buccaneers RB Dalvin Cook, Florida State Rick Stroud, Tampa Bay Times
20-Denver Broncos OT Garett Bolles, Utah Mike Klis, 9News
21-Detroit Lions DE Taco Charlton, Michigan Dave Birkett, Detroit Free Press
22-Miami Dolphins DT Malik McDowell, Michigan State Omar Kelly, South Florida Sun-Sentinel
23-New York Giants TE David Njoku, Miami Tom Rock, Newsday
24-Oakland Raiders ILB Jarrad Davis, Florida Vic Tafur, San Francisco Chronicle
25-Houston Texans QB Patrick Mahomes, Texas Tech John McClain, Houston Chronicle
26-Seattle Seahawks CB Kevin King, Washington Bob Condotta, Seattle Times
27-Kansas City Chiefs QB Deshaun Watson, Clemson Terez Paylor, Kansas City Star
28-Dallas Cowboys DE Charles Harris, Missouri Charean Williams, Fort Worth Star-Telegram
29-Green Bay Packers OLB T.J. Watt, Wisconsin Pete Dougherty, Green Bay Press-Gazette
30-Pittsburgh Steelers SS Jabrill Peppers, Michigan Gerry Dulac, Pittsburgh Post-Gazette
31-Atlanta Falcons DE Carl Lawson, Auburn D. Orlando Ledbetter, Atlanta Journal-Constitution
32-New Orleans Saints CB Tre’Davious White, LSU Larry Holder, New Orleans Times-Picayune

.Gerry Dulac picked for us. Do you think he has any more insight into the Steelers plans that the rest of us?

Uhm, I would say yes. He's been around forever, I presume he picks up bits & pieces as he talks to people in the org.

I'm warming up to the idea of Peppers, just don't think he'll be around. That kid is an incredible all-around athlete, I'm sure they'd find the right spot for him in our D.

Gerry Dulac picked for us. Do you think he has any more insight into the Steelers plans that the rest of us?

Here it is...

1- Cleveland Browns DE Myles Garrett, Texas A&M Mary Kay Cabot, Cleveland Plain Dealer
2-San Francisco 49ers DE Solomon Thomas, Stanford Matt Barrows, Sacramento Bee
3-Chicago Bears FS Malik Hooker, Ohio State Rich Campbell, Chicago Tribune
4-Jacksonville Jaguars DT Jonathan Allen, Alabama Ryan O’Halloran, Florida Times-Union
5-Tennessee Titans SS Jamal Adams, LSU Jason Wolf, The Tennesseean
6-New York Jets CB Marshon Lattimore, Ohio State Brian Costello, New York Post
7-Los Angeles Chargers WR Mike Williams, Clemson Dan Woike, Los Angeles Times
8-Carolina Panthers RB Leonard Fournette, LSU Joe Person, Charlotte Observer
9-Cincinnati Bengals DE Derek Barnett, Tennessee Paul Dehner, Cincinnati Enquirer
10-Buffalo Bills QB Mitchell Trubisky, North Carolina Tim Graham, Buffalo News
11-New Orleans Saints OLB Haason Reddick, Temple Jeff Duncan, New Orleans Times-Picayune
12-Cleveland Browns TE O.J. Howard, Alabama Jeff Schudel, News Herald
13-Arizona Cardinals ILB Reuben Foster, Alabama Kent Somers, Arizona Republic
14-Philadelphia Eagles WR John Ross, Washington Les Bowen, Philadelphia Daily News
15-Indianapolis Colts OLB Takkarist McKinley, UCLA Stephen Holder, Indianapolis Star
16-Baltimore Ravens WR Corey Davis, Western Michigan Jeff Zrebeic, Baltimore Sun
17-Washington Redskins RB Christian McCaffrey, Stanford Master Tesfatsion, Washington Post
18-Tennessee Titans OL Forrest Lamp, Western Kentucky Jason Wolf, Tennessean
19-Tampa Bay Buccaneers RB Dalvin Cook, Florida State Rick Stroud, Tampa Bay Times
20-Denver Broncos OT Garett Bolles, Utah Mike Klis, 9News
21-Detroit Lions DE Taco Charlton, Michigan Dave Birkett, Detroit Free Press
22-Miami Dolphins DT Malik McDowell, Michigan State Omar Kelly, South Florida Sun-Sentinel
23-New York Giants TE David Njoku, Miami Tom Rock, Newsday
24-Oakland Raiders ILB Jarrad Davis, Florida Vic Tafur, San Francisco Chronicle
25-Houston Texans QB Patrick Mahomes, Texas Tech John McClain, Houston Chronicle
26-Seattle Seahawks CB Kevin King, Washington Bob Condotta, Seattle Times
27-Kansas City Chiefs QB Deshaun Watson, Clemson Terez Paylor, Kansas City Star
28-Dallas Cowboys DE Charles Harris, Missouri Charean Williams, Fort Worth Star-Telegram
29-Green Bay Packers OLB T.J. Watt, Wisconsin Pete Dougherty, Green Bay Press-Gazette
30-Pittsburgh Steelers SS Jabrill Peppers, Michigan Gerry Dulac, Pittsburgh Post-Gazette
31-Atlanta Falcons DE Carl Lawson, Auburn D. Orlando Ledbetter, Atlanta Journal-Constitution
32-New Orleans Saints CB Tre’Davious White, LSU Larry Holder, New Orleans Times-Picayune

I'd take White.

Nope. Last year, prior to the draft, in his chat, he was asked specifically if the Steelers had any interest in Artie Burns or Keanu Neal since both were borderline first round picks. He said "No". He was later asked which corners, they liked best, Eli Apple, Mac Alexander, or WJIII. He gave them in the same order, Apple, Alexander, WJIII. The Steelers not only passed on Alexander and took Burns, Alexander wasn't drafted until the end of the 2nd.

So, no, I don't think he has more insight.

Let me also add, if we take Peppers with Gareon Conley and Chidobe Awuzie on the board, we deserve to get our ***** kicked a couple more years.