• Please be aware we've switched the forums to their own URL. (again) You'll find the new website address to be www.steelernationforum.com Thanks
  • Please clear your private messages. Your inbox is close to being full.

2017 NFL Draft Q&A

Why not a starting cb in rd 2?
If there's one on the board when we pick, absolutely. In the mock drafts I've done, the pickings have been slim. Those starting caliber corners tend to fly off the board pretty quick.

About a week before the draft, here are my picks.

Round 1, Pick 30 (30) McKinley, Takkarist EDGE 6'2" 250 UCLA
Round 2, Pick 30 (62) Jones, Josh S 6'1" 220 N.C. State
Round 3, Pick 30 (94) Kpassagnon, Tanoh DE 6'7" 289 Villanova
Round 3, Pick 41 (105) Foreman, D'onta RB 6'0" 233 Texas
Round 4, Pick 29 (135) Griffin, Shaquill CB 6'0" 194 Central Florida
Round 5, Pick 30 (173) Langley, Brendan CB 6'0" 201 Lamar
Round 6, Pick 30 (213) Davis, Robert WR 6'3" 219 Georgia State
Round 7, Pick 30 (248) Ebukam, Samson OLB 6'3" 240 Eastern Washington

you better hope the nfl.com mocks are wrong, they all have Takk in the top 16. At least one has Josh Jones in the 1st.

you better hope the nfl.com mocks are wrong, they all have Takk in the top 16. At least one has Josh Jones in the 1st.
I know, I know.... but one can dream, eh?

RD1- Obi Melifonwu S UConn
RD2- Derek Rivers OLB Youngstown St
RD3a- Jordan Leggett TE Clemson
RD3b- Anthony Walker Jr ILB Northwestern
RD4- Rasul Douglas CB UWV
RD5- Domantae Kazee CB San Diego St
RD6- Tarik Cohen RB NC A&T
RD7- Ishmael Zamora WR Baylor

Here's another mock I did just going off of the CBS prospect rankings. Every pick is in line with where they have them rated.

Last edited:
RD1- Obi Melifonwu S UConn
RD2- Derek Rivers OLB Youngstown St
RD3a- Jordan Leggett TE Clemson
RD3b- Anthony Walker Jr ILB Northwestern
RD4- Rasul Douglas CB UWV
RD5- Domantae Kazee CB San Diego St
RD6- Tarik Cohen RB NC A&T
RD7- Ishmael Zamora WR Baylor

Here's another mock I did just going off of the CBS prospect rankings. Every pick is in line with where they have them rated.

Not sure about the Rivers guy, i know a lot here like him..but i'd love this draft. What other edge guys are expected to be there around that pick?

Not sure about the Rivers guy, i know a lot here like him..but i'd love this draft. What other edge guys are expected to be there around that pick?

maybe Lawson

if they don't go OLBer in 1.

Tyus Bowser from Houston would be a nice pick there. And Coolie would cream his pants. Jordan Willis tho he might be more of a straight DE.

The beauty of this draft is that some guys will drop that no one thought would be there - kind of like Mendenhall and Sweed. I know they weren't the greatest picks in the end (!) but most on the board were ecstatic at the time.

The RBs and QBs hold the key to this draft for us. If between 5-6 of those guys go ahead of us then we will have a real choice in two big areas of need from quality players and will allow us some real flexibility later in the draft.

I really am hoping Marlon Humphrey drops to us in rd 1 and we snag and OLB, Lawson in rd 2. Then rd 3 could be whatever...Wormley, Wr, etc

The RBs and QBs hold the key to this draft for us. If between 5-6 of those guys go ahead of us then we will have a real choice in two big areas of need from quality players and will allow us some real flexibility later in the draft.

I'm hoping for an early run on any offensive position.

Okay, so I spent a couple hours going through players the Steelers have visited, had dinner with, brought in, and generally been showing interest in during the draft cycle. I’m sure I missed some because I haven’t tracked it as closely as I normally do, but I took the list I had and cross referenced it with a couple sites including CBS Sport and NFL.com to get a general consensus for where they rank the players the Steelers have liked. This kind of takes my personal bias out of it and I think it gives me a clearer picture of the feel of where these players might go. Not scientific by any means, but it helps me create buckets for each round. What I found interesting this year was the buckets don’t have big gaps in them, meaning a guy that is a “2nd round prospect” carries a damn close grade to a guy considered a “1st round prospect”. And, it really blurs like hell as you move down. In the past, the buckets were usually 5-8 players in the first, maybe 10 in the second (because a first might slide), 10 in the 3rd, and I’d group the rest after that. Often, guys slide down and a 2nd round prospect is taken in the 3rd, a 3rd in the 4th and maybe even into the 5th, leaving the 4th down group to fill out the rounds (or someone off the radar). So, without further ado, here is what I have:

First Round
Taco Charlton, OLB, Michigan-doubt he is there, but they took him to dinner with Wormley. I think Wormley is the target, but it would be a mistake to not list him.
David Njoku, TE, Miami-again, unlikely to be there, but I think he is high on the list.
Takk McKinley, OLB, UCLA-highest rated OLB, just behind the top 2, injury might make him available.
Marlon Humphrey, CB, Alabama-was surprised he wasn’t rated higher, still don’t think he is there.
Budda Baker, FS, Washington-I put the line above Baker because I think they are gone and he might be the highest rated guy when the Steelers select. Two other players had the same general score, but Baker was the only DB. Again, using prospect rankings from other site. I would have Awuzie here, but he really wasn’t tied to the Steelers in any way.
Jarred Davis, ILB, Florida-visited, rates right with Baker, but do they go ILB?
Zach Cunningham, ILB, Vanderbilt-see Davis.
(It should be noted that NFL.com rated all these guys between 5.9-6.3)

Second Round
Gerald Everett, TE, South Alabama-actually rated with Baker, Davis, and Cunningham, I just had a tough time putting him in the first round.
TJ Watt, OLB, Wisconsin-I get the middle 2nd feel for him, could go higher, might slide. Tough to peg the general feel, some think his upside is great, some think he is a name.
Patrick Mahommes, QB, Texas Tech-probably goes first round, but his grade puts him here.
Josh Jones, SS, NC State-another guy rising, but have to stay true to the grade.
Marcus Maye, FS, Florida-very underrated player.
Chris Wormley, DL, Michigan-I have a feeling he is a target.
Tim Williams, OLB, Alabama-tough slide here, talent puts him ahead of Baker and behind Humphrey, off-the-field puts him here.
Rasul Douglas, CB, West Virginia-long corner that can cover and hit. I have him as a 3rd, but I can see this.
Obi Melifonwu, SS, UConn-combine has people talking 1st round, film should have him in the 3rd.
Chris Godwin, WR, Penn State-I think the Steelers are hoping for a slide to the 3rd. They have a 3rd/4th bucket for WRs that is 4-5 deep.
Jake Butt, TE, Michigan-I’d be surprised if injury did not push him down to the 3rd.
Nathan Peterman, QB, Pittsburgh-another tough one to rank, decent QB, pro-style offense, but does he warrant a 2nd round pick?
Jourdan Lewis, CB, Michigan-I have him as a 3rd/4th, most have him higher.
(All these guys between 5.7-5.8 except for Everett and Tim Williams, who were 5.9 and 6.0)

Third Round
Carl Lawson, OLB, Auburn-I think the Steelers have him much higher and would be a strong 2nd consideration.
Tanoh Kpassagnon, DE, Villanova-he should go in the high 3rd, but because he is so raw, might make it to us.
Derek Rivers, OLB, Youngstown State-fair film, not enamored with him, but he is athletic and could be coached up. Should go late 2nd, early 3rd.
Raekwon McMillian, ILB, Ohio State-if he is there for us in the 3rd, probably draws strong consideration.
Carlos Watkins, DL, Clemson
Brad Kaaya, QB, Miami-Steelers showed strong interest in Kaaya, too much for my liking.
Josh Reynolds, WR, Texas A&M-start of that WR bucket.
Mack Hollins, WR, UNC
Shelton Gibson, WR, West Virginia
Davis Webb, QB, Cal
Wayne Gallman, RB, Clemson
Kenny Golladay, WR, Northern Illinois
Carroll Phillips, OLB, Illinois
Keion Adams, OLB, Western Michigan
James Conner, RB, Pittsburgh
Michael Roberts, TE, Toledo
(Rated between 5.4-5.6)

Fourth Round down
Joshua Dobbs, QB, Tennessee
Samson Ebukam, OLB, Eastern Michigan
Vince Biegel, OLB, Wisconsin
Jalen Myrick, CB, Minnesota
Glen Antoine, NT, Idaho
Javancy Jones, OLB, Jackson State
Montae Nicholson, SS, Michigan State
Treyvon Hester, NT, Toledo
Scott Orndoff, TE, Pittsburgh
Ryan Lewis, CB, Pittsburgh
Jason Crooms, TE, Tennessee

Now, if I had to mock a four round draft based on what I think will happen, I would go:
1st-Budda Baker, FS, Washington
2nd-Carl Lawson, OLB, Auburn
3rd-Rasul Douglas, CB, West Virginia (I think he slides)
3rd-Tanoh Kpassagnon, DE, Villanova
4th-Mack Hollins, WR, UNC or Wayne Gallman, RB, Clemson.

That is the early feeling I have.

Okay, so I spent a couple hours going through players the Steelers have visited, had dinner with, brought in, and generally been showing interest in during the draft cycle. I’m sure I missed some because I haven’t tracked it as closely as I normally do, but I took the list I had and cross referenced it with a couple sites including CBS Sport and NFL.com to get a general consensus for where they rank the players the Steelers have liked. This kind of takes my personal bias out of it and I think it gives me a clearer picture of the feel of where these players might go. Not scientific by any means, but it helps me create buckets for each round. What I found interesting this year was the buckets don’t have big gaps in them, meaning a guy that is a “2nd round prospect” carries a damn close grade to a guy considered a “1st round prospect”. And, it really blurs like hell as you move down. In the past, the buckets were usually 5-8 players in the first, maybe 10 in the second (because a first might slide), 10 in the 3rd, and I’d group the rest after that. Often, guys slide down and a 2nd round prospect is taken in the 3rd, a 3rd in the 4th and maybe even into the 5th, leaving the 4th down group to fill out the rounds (or someone off the radar). So, without further ado, here is what I have:

First Round
Taco Charlton, OLB, Michigan-doubt he is there, but they took him to dinner with Wormley. I think Wormley is the target, but it would be a mistake to not list him.
David Njoku, TE, Miami-again, unlikely to be there, but I think he is high on the list.
Takk McKinley, OLB, UCLA-highest rated OLB, just behind the top 2, injury might make him available.
Marlon Humphrey, CB, Alabama-was surprised he wasn’t rated higher, still don’t think he is there.
Budda Baker, FS, Washington-I put the line above Baker because I think they are gone and he might be the highest rated guy when the Steelers select. Two other players had the same general score, but Baker was the only DB. Again, using prospect rankings from other site. I would have Awuzie here, but he really wasn’t tied to the Steelers in any way.

Second Round
Gerald Everett, TE, South Alabama-actually rated with Baker, Davis, and Cunningham, I just had a tough time putting him in the first round.
TJ Watt, OLB, Wisconsin-I get the middle 2nd feel for him, could go higher, might slide. Tough to peg the general feel, some think his upside is great, some think he is a name.
Patrick Mahommes, QB, Texas Tech-probably goes first round, but his grade puts him here.
Josh Jones, SS, NC State-another guy rising, but have to stay true to the grade.
Tim Williams, OLB, Alabama-tough slide here, talent puts him ahead of Baker and behind Humphrey, off-the-field puts him here.
Rasul Douglas, CB, West Virginia-long corner that can cover and hit. I have him as a 3rd, but I can see this.
Obi Melifonwu, SS, UConn-combine has people talking 1st round, film should have him in the 3rd.
Chris Godwin, WR, Penn State-I think the Steelers are hoping for a slide to the 3rd. They have a 3rd/4th bucket for WRs that is 4-5 deep.
Jake Butt, TE, Michigan-I’d be surprised if injury did not push him down to the 3rd.
Nathan Peterman, QB, Pittsburgh-another tough one to rank, decent QB, pro-style offense, but does he warrant a 2nd round pick?
(All these guys between 5.7-5.8 except for Everett and Tim Williams, who were 5.9 and 6.0)

Third Round
Carl Lawson, OLB, Auburn-I think the Steelers have him much higher and would be a strong 2nd consideration.
Tanoh Kpassagnon, DE, Villanova-he should go in the high 3rd, but because he is so raw, might make it to us.
Derek Rivers, OLB, Youngstown State-fair film, not enamored with him, but he is athletic and could be coached up. Should go late 2nd, early 3rd.
Raekwon McMillian, ILB, Ohio State-if he is there for us in the 3rd, probably draws strong consideration.
Brad Kaaya, QB, Miami-Steelers showed strong interest in Kaaya, too much for my liking.
Mack Hollins, WR, UNC
Davis Webb, QB, Cal
(Rated between 5.4-5.6)

Fourth Round down
Glen Antoine, NT, Idaho

Now, if I had to mock a four round draft based on what I think will happen, I would go:

I could certainly live with that draft.
I would rather see a TE in rd 3...but that's just me.
I also think they will target either Dobbs or Kaaya in rd 3/4.

Nice Work. My ideal draft from that would be
1. Humphrey
2. Lawson
3a. McMillan
3b-Gallman

Also, think Wormley may be a third rounder...

First Round

Second Round

Third Round
Mack Hollins, WR, UNC
Davis Webb, QB, Cal
(Rated between 5.4-5.6)

Fourth Round down
Glen Antoine, NT, Idaho

With Tyson Alualu on board - as well as LT Walton - I don't understand the Steelers' supposed infatuation with Wormley, but maybe that's just me. Even a guy like Tanoh Kpassagnon only makes sense to me rounds 5 and later, as he'll probably spend two years on the practice squad.

yeah, I don't get it either...maybe it's a smokescreen....

With Tyson Alualu on board - as well as LT Walton - I don't understand the Steelers' supposed infatuation with Wormley, but maybe that's just me. Even a guy like Tanoh Kpassagnon only makes sense to me rounds 5 and later, as he'll probably spend two years on the practice squad.

maybe they are going to a 4 front and need more players? Still the target would be a guy like Charlton or Harris for that spot so still doesn't make sense.

Maybe tuitt doesn't want to re-sign?

yeah, I don't get it either...maybe it's a smokescreen....
Yes, wouldn't shock me if the true target at Michigan is Peppers, they just don't want to show their hand.

Maybe tuitt doesn't want to re-sign?
I don't know about that, everything I've seen from Tuitt tells me he's totally committed to being a Steeler.

To be honest I would not be upset getting more depth at the position and making them all work hard to make the 53 man. You put Heyward, Tuitt, Alualu, Walton and then a guy like Kpassagnon in camp and you got some competition at DE. And I feel we could keep 7 DL on the 53 man roster so that would be Heyward, Tuitt, Alualu, Walton, Hargraves, McCullers, and Kpassagnon. Last year we kept 10 LB's on the roster so all we'd have to do is only keep 9.

Mainly because Walton Alualu and anyone behind them offer nothing as pass rushers. The Steelers are trying to get pressure with four. Tanoh makes alot of sense and so does Wormley. Both offer more as pass rushers

I've been floating the idea of a 3-3-5 defense with 3 DL, 2 OLBs, 1 MLB, and 5 DBs. If that is the plan, you have Tuitt/Hargrave/Heyward as your starters, Alualu as the backup to Hargrave, Walton at one DE spot, who is your 6th DL?

If you can throw a young version of Tuitt/Heyward in the mix in the 3rd, why not? I'd rather have talent on the DL than overdraft another position.

TMC, I've been meaning to ask you about Joe Mathis OLB out of Washington. The writers at BTSC are very high on this guy, ranking him higher than the likes of Rivers, Bowser, Willis & Cunningham. I haven't seen that anywhere else, as he's pretty far down on most other sites. They're also very high on Bowser, given his Sparq scores. So maybe the way to go is hit the S/CB route early, and grab one, if not two, of these edge guys a bit later.

Here's their take on him:

Joe Mathis, Edge, Washington - 6'2", 266 lbs. with long 33" arms and 9" hands. [Meeting at the Combine] First things first - here is the early process BTSC Scouting Report from Nicholas.Martin. You should also start your study with this equally good and equally early scouting report from the well-respected Jon Ledyard. Both argue that Mathis is an extremely well rounded and productive pass rusher, whose absence from an injured foot made a huge difference to a very good defensive unit. And it's not just those two. Here is a gushing youtube film review by Matt Waldman, an admiring scouting report from New England, and he has been in the Bleacher Report Top 50-75 for months. For a totally different view, see the NFL.com scouting profile, which considers Mathis a somewhat plodding power player who lacks the athleticism to play in space. So the bottom line comes down to a lot of unknowns. How much dip does he really have around the edge? There's a lack of film to tell us. How fast is his first step compared to some of the freak athletes we're comparing him to? How does he fit on the scale of pure explosiveness? Can he play in space?

The film is missing because Mathis got hurt after 6 wildly successful games as a 2016 starter - his only ones. The early reports suggested that it should have cleared up around the new year. In January he said that it was "100% healed". But then he did not participate in the drills at either the Combine or his pro day with the exception of an extraordinary bench press (32 reps with those long arms!), a number that would have ranked first among linebackers at the combine and eighth overall. He plans to hold an individual workout in April, which we will eagerly await because drills like the 3-cone and short shuttle will help to answer the C.O.D. questions, while the vertical and broad jumps will speak to his explosiveness.

TMC, I've been meaning to ask you about Joe Mathis OLB out of Washington. The writers at BTSC are very high on this guy, ranking him higher than the likes of Rivers, Bowser, Willis & Cunningham. I haven't seen that anywhere else, as he's pretty far down on most other sites. They're also very high on Bowser, given his Sparq scores. So maybe the way to go is hit the S/CB route early, and grab one, if not two, of these edge guys a bit later.

Here's their take on him:

Meh, dude did not start until this year, sat behind guys like Kikaha and Travis Feeney (remember him?). As a freshman, he "saw action" in 12 games and had 7 total tackles. As a sophomore, played in 11 games with 16 tackles and 2 sacks. In his junior season, when Travis Feeney was the starting OLB (in the spot Kikaha played), Mathis was slated to be a down DE. He started 7 games and played in 11. He was listed as the starter heading into the season, but didn't quite put the effort forward and get it done. He ended the season with 30 total tackles, 2 sacks. Then, in his final season, when he finally moves to the coveted Buck position in that defense, with Elijah Qualls and Vita Vea on the DL (and they are pretty good) and an elite secondary at his back, he makes it 7 games, 25 tackles, and 7.5 sacks...and he is done.

Will he be great? Maybe. He flashed, but right now, to me, he is a half-year wonder that struggled when Washington changed coaches. He has struggled with his weight, getting as low as 230 in his junior season. He has worked to get it back, but in an article I read, it said he got his 40-time down to the 4.7 range. Did not work out prior to the draft, even though it was stated his foot would be ready. When he had surgery, the coaches thought there was an outside chance he could be ready for the bowl/playoffs. He stated he would be there. Then, he leaves in November to start getting ready for the draft. And he sits out at the combine and his pro day. He might be the 2nd coming of LT, but there are way too many flags on him for me to roll the dice unless it is late.