• Please be aware we've switched the forums to their own URL. (again) You'll find the new website address to be www.steelernationforum.com Thanks
  • Please clear your private messages. Your inbox is close to being full.

2017 NFL Draft Q&A

I'd take White.

I'd take Lawson as I would have a concern that a lot of pass rushers were already off the board....

although Awuzie and Baker would be tempting...........

Let me also add, if we take Peppers with Gareon Conley and Chidobe Awuzie on the board, we deserve to get our ***** kicked a couple more years.

Conley should be the hands down pick there

Conley will be gone, but probably not Chidobe. More depth at corner than at OLB. I would however take a cb in rd 1, and Williams/Rivers in rd 2.

Let me also add, if we take Peppers with Gareon Conley and Chidobe Awuzie on the board, we deserve to get our ***** kicked a couple more years.

Conley will be gone, but probably not Chidobe. More depth at corner than at OLB. I would however take a cb in rd 1, and Williams/Rivers in rd 2.

While Conley should be gone, you just never know. Daniel Jeremiah said he talked with an NFL Executive and that exec stated he was amazed at the volume of quality cornerbacks in this class, said 15 corners were worthy of going in the top 40 selections. PFF weekly ranked their number of players by position for the top 100 draft prospects and 30 of the top 100 were DBs. I have heard chatter than as many as 11 CBs could go top 50, not first two rounds, but top 50.

So, you just don't know how this draft will break until the players start coming off the board. It should also be noted that PFF's single strongest draft position in the top 100 is edge rushers at @20, so 1/5th of the top 100 players are edge rushers and half of the top 100 players are edge/DB.

For me, the key is how the draft unfolds. If the run is DB and my guy is still there, I take him and hope my edge slides. If my DB is gone, I take the edge.
If the run is edge and my edge is there, I take him and hope my DB slides. If the edge is gone, I go DB.

We just have to hope it unfolds like last year.

Let me add, I don't expect Awuzie to be there. Talk is that the Raiders love the guy. He is getting pretty hot right now.

And, as for Tim Williams in the 2nd, I'd rather go elsewhere. He has multiple failed drug tests. He admitted it. Then, he gets the gun charges last year because a police officer smelled burning marijuana outside a Publix and went to the car. It was Williams and friends. One of the friends took the charges for marijuana, but Williams had a gun under the front seat. His gun, legally purchased, but it is under the seat while you are sitting in your car getting high.

He is Randy Gregory to me.

Last edited:
I agree 100% with what you said TMC....this should be the strategy. I do think there is more cb depth as opposed to OLB depth. Guys like Jones and Moreau are also injured and could be had at the end of rd 2.

While Conley should be gone, you just never know. Daniel Jeremiah said he talked with an NFL Executive and that exec stated he was amazed at the volume of quality cornerbacks in this class, said 15 corners were worthy of going in the top 40 selections. PFF weekly ranked their number of players by position for the top 100 draft prospects and 30 of the top 100 were DBs. I have heard chatter than as many as 11 CBs could go top 50, not first two rounds, but top 50.

So, you just don't know how this draft will break until the players start coming off the board. It should also be noted that PFF's single strongest draft position in the top 100 is edge rushers at @20, so 1/5th of the top 100 players are edge rushers and half of the top 100 players are edge/DB.

For me, the key is how the draft unfolds. If the run is DB and my guy is still there, I take him and hope my edge slides. If my DB is gone, I take the edge.
If the run is edge and my edge is there, I take him and hope my DB slides. If the edge is gone, I go DB.

We just have to hope it unfolds like last year.

And, as for Tim Williams in the 2nd, I'd rather go elsewhere. He has multiple failed drug tests. He admitted it. Then, he gets the gun charges last year because a police officer smelled burning marijuana outside a Publix and went to the car. It was Williams and friends. One of the friends took the charges for marijuana, but Williams had a gun under the front seat. His gun, legally purchased, but it is under the seat while you are sitting in your car getting high. He is Randy Gregory to me.

To me, this is Tim Williams, as is any other player that can generate a pass rush and get to the QB.

thumbnail_Mother_Teresa_by_Chas_Fagan_1_Courtesy_of_the_Knights_of_Columbus_CNA.jpg

Last edited:
Williams could be a smokescreen...pun intended....maybe in the third then?

To me, this is Tim Williams, as is any other player that can generate a pass rush and get to the QB.

thumbnail_Mother_Teresa_by_Chas_Fagan_1_Courtesy_of_the_Knights_of_Columbus_CNA.jpg

Then why not trade our 2nd round pick to Dallas for Randy Gregory.

Guys who fail drug tests and never play are worse than guys that just fail on merit alone. At least the ones that fail on merit try.

I'm in agreement...if we look him it should be in rd 3.

Then why not trade our 2nd round pick to Dallas for Randy Gregory.

Guys who fail drug tests and never play are worse than guys that just fail on merit alone. At least the ones that fail on merit try.

My short list for the Steelers' pick at 30 is Budda Baker, Carl Lawson, Chris Wormley, Zach Cunningham, Jarrad Davis. Given that Reddick, Peppers and Awuzie are likely to be off the board by then. If so, who would you take?

My short list for the Steelers' pick at 30 is Budda Baker, Carl Lawson, Chris Wormley, Zach Cunningham, Jarrad Davis. Given that Reddick, Peppers and Awuzie are likely to be off the board by then. If so, who would you take?

is Humphrey available, Watt? if not, Buddha Baker it is. If Watt's there then it would be a tough choice but anyway you go you end up with damn fine talent

Then why not trade our 2nd round pick to Dallas for Randy Gregory. Guys who fail drug tests and never play are worse than guys that just fail on merit alone. At least the ones that fail on merit try.
I was just kidding TMC. I do think you are being a bit harsh on Tim Williams, but I agree on your wider point. I guess the reason I'm keeping the door open for Williams is the fact the Steelers seem to be showing continued interest. The type of 'homework' they do on a player far outweighs the insight we may have. I'm guessing they haven't seen anything to cause them to take him off their board. Having said that, I'm not in love with Tim Williams on or off the field, and if he ends up a Steeler, I'm hoping it's around rounds 3-4, if at all.

I was just kidding TMC. I do think you are being a bit harsh on Tim Williams, but I agree on your wider point. I guess the reason I'm keeping the door open for Williams is the fact the Steelers seem to be showing continued interest. The type of 'homework' they do on a player far outweighs the insight we may have. I'm guessing they haven't seen anything to cause them to take him off their board. Having said that, I'm not in love with Tim Williams on or off the field, and if he ends up a Steeler, I'm hoping it's around rounds 3-4, if at all.

I'm not sure I consider what I am saying as being too harsh. There were rumors in January, fueled mostly by Charlie Campbell at Walter Football, that Tim Williams had a serious drug addiction on the level of Randy Gregory and had failed multiple drug tests at Alabama. Plenty of people dismissed it as rumor mongering and said he was never suspended due to failed drug tests. Then, Williams comes out at the combine and admits he failed several tests. In October of last year, he was suspended for the first half of the Kentucky game after his arrest and gun charges. It was that incident that really throws up red flags, because the officers report stated he smelled burning marijuana, went to the car with 3 individuals in it, it was registered to Williams, he gets them out, searches them, finds the weapon under Williams seat and it is registered to Williams (no concealed carry). He then finds a small quantity of marijuana. One of the other passengers cops to "holding it" for someone else. But, the underlying moment is, they are sitting in a Publix parking lot smoking marijuana in his car with a gun under the seat and then he admits to failing several drug tests. It is a pattern of use. We just lost Bryant for a year because of marijuana. We lost Bell for 3 games because he failed to report for testing because he was in the SAP for use of marijuana. I just cannot fathom continuing to open that door. The most important ability any football player can have is availABILITY. Suspended players are not available.

As for them not taking Williams off their board, we really don't know. Bringing him in for a visit does not mean he is still on the board. In 2015, the Steelers brought in Randy Gregory. Was he still on their board? In the same season, they brought in Justin Cox, who was dismissed from Mississippi State after he was charged with trespassing and domestic violence (and we know how they feel about domestic violence). Cox vehemently denied it, yet he was arrested again in 2015 for similar charges in Mississippi and was just charged again this week for CDV, which prompted his release from the Canadian team the Roughriders and subsequent banning from the league. In instances where the talent level is exceptionally high, like with Gregory, Williams, and Cox, the Steelers will bring the players in to vet them, basically look in their eye, and fill in all the details. They don't want choirboys, but they don't want full-blown criminals either. So, is Williams still on the board? A visit really doesn't mean anything either way.

I'd be inclined to think his off-the-field choices place him closer to be off the board than on it, if past history is any indicator.

Hard to say, I mean, we don't know if McKinley is there, Watt is there, and if Awuzie is gone, I would assume that Conley, Lattimore, Humphrey, and White are probably already gone too. So, top 5 corners are gone and maybe just getting into the meat of the edge rushers here. I probably take Baker over the list. I don't think Jarrad Davis is there though, with rumors of Rueben Foster having some character concerns and concussion issues, there is talk he might slide greatly. So, Baker and then I'm hoping for an edge to slip to me.

I'm thinking if we had to line up right now with the players we have, we could survive with edge rushers Harrison, Dupree, Chickillo, and Moats. I don't feel that way in the secondary.

I'll leave McKinley and White but not Watt, Awuzie, Conley, Lattimore and Humphrey.

"I'm thinking if we had to line up right now with the players we have, we could survive with edge rushers Harrison, Dupree, Chickillo, and Moats. I don't feel that way in the secondary."TMC He has just answered all questions.

All I know is that I'm preparing for the Steelers to draft a player none of us are thinking of at this moment, a few days before the draft. It tends to work out that way.

I'll leave McKinley and White but not Watt, Awuzie, Conley, Lattimore and Humphrey.

It would be between McKinley, Baker, and White. I'd good with any of them and it would really depend on which position would have the guy I coveted in round 2, not necessarily a position, but the player I want. I mean, by draft time, I have a group of players I really want to see in a Steeler uniform. If the draft unfolded like you are asking, I think there is a chance Lawson could slide to the 62nd pick. His value is anywhere from the 1st to the 3rd. So, if I took Baker, I might land Lawson/Rivers in the 2nd and then I might just double up on CB/S in the 3rd. But, if I thought Josh Jones might slide, I could go McKinley, Jones, CB.

It really becomes a "how do I think the draft will break" moment.

All I know is that I'm preparing for the Steelers to draft a player none of us are thinking of at this moment, a few days before the draft. It tends to work out that way.

It is always very difficult to pin down who they like. I mean, you have a general idea. They visit 30 players. They have dinner with about 10 or so on the road while hitting pro days. You can track where Tomlin and Colbert end up, although they did split up a couple times this year. The trend was, at one time, if they brought the guy in, he would likely be on the radar. They visited Jarvis Jones in 2013. They brought in Shazier, Tuitt, and Bryant in 2014. Then, in 2015, it changed. They did not bring in Dupree, but they brought in Golson, Grant, and Coates. So, skip the 1st, brought in the 2nd/3rd/4th. Last year, did not bring in Burns, brought in Davis, Hargrave, and Hawkins. At one time, the Steelers were pretty predictable animals, and, still can be to some extent, but they throw curves sometimes, break tendencies, like they did when they went away from drafting visitors in the first round. Just when you think you have it down, they change. I think they go back to drafting a guy they visited this year. I just think it is a guy they slipped in without a lot of fan fare, buried him behind some higher profile, more talked about visits.

It would be between McKinley, Baker, and White. I'd good with any of them and it would really depend on which position would have the guy I coveted in round 2, not necessarily a position, but the player I want. I mean, by draft time, I have a group of players I really want to see in a Steeler uniform. If the draft unfolded like you are asking, I think there is a chance Lawson could slide to the 62nd pick. His value is anywhere from the 1st to the 3rd. So, if I took Baker, I might land Lawson/Rivers in the 2nd and then I might just double up on CB/S in the 3rd. But, if I thought Josh Jones might slide, I could go McKinley, Jones, CB.

It really becomes a "how do I think the draft will break" moment.
Many thanks, TMC. In this year's draft, I get the sense that the Steelers are not likely to take the BPA but
rather target the best Swiss Army knife available in the first, then go edge rusher and go BPA 3-7. As you indicated you would be able to live with your pass rush until the later rounds but have a player that is talented enough to play multiple positions in the defence is of higher value and of more benefit to the team. So the Peppers, Awizies, Bakers and Reddicks of this draft are who they have a premium at the top of their board. The interchangeable defensive chess piece is going to be the desired target and they may well move up for that target this year. Total speculation I know but any thoughts on who that might be if they moved to say 18?

Many thanks, TMC. In this year's draft, I get the sense that the Steelers are not likely to take the BPA but
rather target the best Swiss Army knife available in the first, then go edge rusher and go BPA 3-7. As you indicated you would be able to live with your pass rush until the later rounds but have a player that is talented enough to play multiple positions in the defence is of higher value and of more benefit to the team. So the Peppers, Awizies, Bakers and Reddicks of this draft are who they have a premium at the top of their board. The interchangeable defensive chess piece is going to be the desired target and they may well move up for that target this year. Total speculation I know but any thoughts on who that might be if they moved to say 18?

This is a conversation I've been involved in several times because I continue to go back and forth on some guys and it has forced me back to the film on them. So, might as well take them one by one.
Haason Reddick-at first, when I watched film of Reddick, I liked the way he played and moved, but I just did not know what to do with him, he is so undersized for a DE. Then, at the Senior bowl, he moves to a more traditional off-the-line linebacker position. He played exceptionally well in that role, even in coverage. Surprisingly well. He blows up the combine. Dude is a freak. So, he can work off the line. He can cover. He supports the run. He played DE in college and can rush the passer. He just does it all. In our scheme, I think he is in Timmons role more than an OLB, but he could shift and blitz and just continue to add flexibility and dimensions to the defense.

Chidobe Awuzie-I was actually watching the Washington-Colorado game when I first picked up on Awuzie. I was looking at Baker and Jones initially, but Washington has a QB that might be in the 2018 draft, so I was watching him too. Awuzie just kept flashing. He was moving around and he and Thompson were directing the defense on the field, lining guys up, changing things when the offense motioned into different formations. So, I went to another game....slot, edge, runs with bigger and smaller WRs. I thought he was a decent athlete, not great, but good enough. Began digging on him, found he could play safety, both free and strong...I'm really interested. Another guy that blows up the combine, long, big, can run, change directions, smart...just keeps checking boxes.

Budda Baker-so, yeah, was clued in on Baker early. Reminds me a lot of Polamalu in the way he reads plays and is breaking to where the ball will be before the ball is out the QBs hands well. Just so instinctive. Big film room guy, studies tendencies, lines up the defense, has played slot, edge corner, strong safety, free safety, works as a single high, plays cover-2, cover-3, quarters....ran in the mid-4.4s at the combine with a solid shuttle, but has been timed consistently under 4.4 at Washington (they have Pro Days for their players each spring). Always top 5 in the forty and shuttle, consistent sub 4.4 forties and has sub 4.0 shuttles. Elite numbers. He just lacks height. No injury history. Coaches absolutely love the guy, say no matter what the game, he is the best player that walks on the field. High praise when you play in a secondary with Jones and King that has John Ross at WR. I think he is an instant slot corner and future FS.

Jabrill Peppers-fantastic athlete, electric with the ball in his hands. Great in zone coverage, clicks and closes on balls in front of him as well as anyone in the draft. Solid tackler. He can run with a lot of players over a short distance. That is the good. Here is the bad. He loses the ball when his back is to it. He really struggles when someone pushes him deep and he has to turn and run. Often does not get his head around and locate the football. He doesn't fare as well between the tackles, say inside the hashes, because blockers can get on him quicker and they bounce him around really bad. When he is in off man coverage, he bumps receivers at the top of the route, will grab them at times to slow the break so he can stay with them. I think he will probably get flagged for it. So, at his best, he is outside the hashes, basically over the slot, but you don't want him covering routes where he has to turn, so really a zone defender in those situations. He is so damn limited. And, as a deep safety, the further from the LOS he gets, the more he struggles to read and react, so you are making him less effective as you move him backwards. I just don't know how to use him to get the maximum benefit. I might flip him to offense and make him a WR. I just cannot find a comfort level with him.

As for moving up, was chatting with Dobre a few weeks ago and he made the statement, I want as many picks in the top 100 as I can get. I feel the same way. No way do I trade any of my picks in the first three rounds and if I can get more, I do it. This is the type of draft that can net you core players for the next decade in the first three rounds. We have four, should land 4 quality players. I wish I had 8.

Welcome back stranger! I was just watching the NFL Network's Mock draft. They had us taking the TE from Miami....Njoku. I did a couple searches and it looks pretty consistent as him being the next TE on the board after Howard is gone early. Any thoughts on him?

Welcome back stranger! I was just watching the NFL Network's Mock draft. They had us taking the TE from Miami....Njoku. I did a couple searches and it looks pretty consistent as him being the next TE on the board after Howard is gone early. Any thoughts on him?

I like him a bunch. He is athletic as hell. I think he ran in the mid-4.6s which isn't as good as Howard or some others, but he had a VJ of 37.5" at the combine, tapped 40" at his pro day. Pretty strong, great frame, looks good on the hoof. Good route runner, nice hands, will catch in traffic, runs like a beast with the ball, can split out wide or play inline. Not an elite blocker, but he is scrappy and works. I don't think he makes it to us, just too big a weapon and he is still kind of raw. He has a massive upside. Only concern with him is he has little hands for a receiver.

Thank you TMC for the thoughts on how the Steelers might be rebuilding the D. My first choice for a #1 has always been Reddick but it looks like he will be long gone and too early to trade down for. While Watt will probably be a good player I don't see the explosiveness for a first round OLB. Baker is a guy who really intrigues me and the main reason is that smart and instinctive are two terms almost every evaluation of him notes along with every measurable but size. The comparison with Thomas if valid means he could make the rest of the secondary better,especially if he is used some as a single high safety. Makes me feel better that you also seem to rate him high. Does he fit in some of the packages you mentioned?.