• Please be aware we've switched the forums to their own URL. (again) You'll find the new website address to be www.steelernationforum.com Thanks
  • Please clear your private messages. Your inbox is close to being full.

2017 NFL Draft Q&A

Thank you TMC for the thoughts on how the Steelers might be rebuilding the D. My first choice for a #1 has always been Reddick but it looks like he will be long gone and too early to trade down for. While Watt will probably be a good player I don't see the explosiveness for a first round OLB. Baker is a guy who really intrigues me and the main reason is that smart and instinctive are two terms almost every evaluation of him notes along with every measurable but size. The comparison with Thomas if valid means he could make the rest of the secondary better,especially if he is used some as a single high safety. Makes me feel better that you also seem to rate him high. Does he fit in some of the packages you mentioned?.

The only thing I have not seen Baker do is be 6'1" tall. His only area of weakness is when he faces taller WRs. He can struggle with guys who can high point passes because he lacks length. Here is a highlight tape with Baker, look at the different places he plays:

On the first play, he is playing Cover-2 with Kevin King as the other safety. On the second play, he is down in the slot and stays home to stuff the reverse. Third play, in the slot, blitzes. Fourth play, appears to be deep at safety, but is on the edge. Fifth play, deep again, comes down and breaks up the pass. Now, the 6th play is interesting, looks like he is playing as a MLB on the snap, and the offense sends the back out behind the WRs and he is on a full sprint. Baker sees it, knows what is coming, is on a dead run to beat him to the edge, and ends up with the pick because he got there before the RB and undercut him. Crazy recognition and speed. Mike Mayock listed him as the #1 slot corner in this draft in his rankings. In his initial draft rankings, he did not separate the nickel players and had Baker as his 4th safety overall. I think he is a free, which would make him the 2nd best FS in the draft. But, he also plays strong for Washington, so if you listed the SSs, he would probably be 3rd/4th on the list. He is just that versatile. I think he can line up anywhere and the only time he might have a disadvantage is when he draws a TE or big WR.

Now, I do see some explosiveness in Watt. He batted down more passes than any DL/LB I think I have ever watched. When he recognizes he cannot get there, he has a nice ability to step back and use his vertical jump to bat balls. Very explosive. He also shows some bend around the edge. Good hand usage. I can see a lot of upside with him. He is pretty raw, but VERY very coachable.

Tmc you are making me a Buddha believer. A guy that can play three spots on D at the same top level is worth a 1st rounder

Tmc you are making me a Buddha believer. A guy that can play three spots on D at the same top level is worth a 1st rounder

Tomlin loves guys who can play more than one place, too.

Was just reading some scout's takes on Tim Williams, one of them said: "Doesn't take care of his body. His problem is he's a (expletive) weight room guy and he smokes too much. He's light in the (expletive) but at least he is powerful for a light in the (expletive) guy. "

Another scout said: " Dynamite pass rusher but I don't trust him off the field as far as I can throw him. He's selfish. I don't think he really likes football. I don't think that's good."

And that is why you bring a guy in, to see how he is thinking. If he comes off as not loving the game or not interested in the game, you pass.

Speaking of Peppers, I've been shouting from the rooftops I think this guy is super overrated. He has elite athleticism BUT doesn't generate turnovers, he doesn't generate big plays with the ball in his hands, he's a solid tackler but nothing special so as to make him a linebacker, and does not imo have NFL-level coverage skills. He's like driving a Ferrari that's programmed to not go over 60mph. Do you see the team considering him at all, and what position do you think suits him? My opinion is that I would not consider him before the comp pick if I'm KC/MT

I do too...You're not alone.

I do too...You're not alone.

I don't know guys Peppers is growing on me alot. He helped his team by playing all over the place. By getting good coaching and playing one position it's hard not to say he won't be a stud if allowed to play one position and learn it. Super athlete and super smart. Good combo

Doubting Jabrill Peppers' place in NFL? Just watch
play

Apr 21, 2017
Dan Graziano
ESPN Staff Writer

NFL teams want to know what to do with Jabrill Peppers. As a dazzling, do-everything college superstar, the Michigan safety/linebacker/running back/return man is a conundrum -- grist for the pre-draft season of overthinking.

But the best advice for what to do with Peppers might be the simplest.

Just watch.

"Put on the Colorado film," Michigan defensive coordinator Don Brown said.

And so you do.

A minute and 48 seconds in, No. 5 in blue is covering No. 5 in white: Colorado tight end George Frazier, who starts out wide to the left but motions into the slot. Peppers tracks him, sliding left, with his football brain calculating the possibilities from 7 yards beyond the line of scrimmage.

"Tremendous football IQ," Brown said of Peppers. "So savvy. He can learn concepts. He'll be in the meeting room, and he'll put his hand up: 'Hey, coach, I've got two questions.' And bang-bang, it translates to the field."

NFL executives predict Jabrill Peppers' draft range, pro position
The former Michigan standout is one of the most polarizing prospects in the 2017 draft. Is he a safety? A linebacker? Or even a running back? Front-office execs weigh in on Peppers' status.

Kiper's 2017 'Grade: A' three-round mock draft
It's time for Mel Kiper's annual three-round mock draft -- all 107 picks -- in which he plays general manager for all 32 teams and makes picks based on his draft board.
Kiper and McShay's dueling two-round mock drafts
Sixty-four picks, two draft experts and not a whole lot of agreement about who will go where. Mel and Todd predict the first two rounds of the 2017 NFL draft.
The ball is snapped, and Frazier heads right to take out Michigan middle linebacker Ben Gedeon, while Colorado running back Phillip Lindsay takes the pitch from the quarterback's left side. Peppers sees it all in a blink. Lindsay is doomed. Before Lindsay can survey the field in front of him, Peppers is speeding toward him like a laser beam, squaring his shoulders and making the kind of thunderous form tackle that spins coaches into hyperbole.

"He's going to play man-to-man on No. 5, and No. 5 is going to crack the Mike, and he's going to not only get to the back, he's going to smash him," Brown said. "He's the best open-field tackler I've ever seen in my life."

Lindsay loses 2 yards on the play, which sets up second-and-12. Asked months later for his favorite play against Colorado, Peppers said this one -- with a caveat.

"I gave up a touchdown on the next play," he said. "So I guess that takes something away from that one."

Yes, Colorado is frisky on this mid-September afternoon. The Buffs lead the Wolverines 21-7 before the first quarter is over. Peppers has to do more. Fortunately, he can.

"He's everything," Brown said. "He can do anything he wants. Basically, I took my brightest guy and gave him a bunch of things to do, and he did them all, and he was great at them."

Jabrill Peppers could play offense, defense and special teams in the NFL, like he did at Michigan.
At the combine in February, ESPN asked decision-makers from a dozen teams about Peppers, and the answers all came with more questions: Is he a safety? Is he a box safety? At 5-foot-11, 213 pounds, can he realistically be an NFL linebacker? Is he better on offense than on defense? How did this obviously brilliant playmaker get through his whole college career with only one interception?

"Great player, obviously, but you have to sit and think about what he is in your defense," one NFL general manager said. "He doesn't take the ball away, so can you play him at safety? He's not big enough to play linebacker. There are plenty of ways he can help you -- he's your punt returner right away -- but you have to sit and think about what you can do with him."

"Those are all valid questions," Peppers said. "The one interception thing, I didn't really have many opportunities this year. Last year, I dropped one, maybe two. One where I jumped the bubble in Minnesota, the other against Northwestern. And I could have had one at Utah, but I didn't get my head around fast enough. I think when I came back from my injury, I just didn't trust my technique enough. And no, I never really got a chance to showcase what I could do in the deep third, but I just take it for what it is. What I was asked to do was make plays at or behind the line of scrimmage, and that's what I did."

In college, Peppers was the guy who could do everything. But as the draft approaches and teams try to figure out whether his overall talent merits a first-round pick, the question is whether he can do one thing well enough to be a star in the NFL. His draft stock might've been higher right now if Michigan had let him play safety all of the past season. But the Wolverines needed help at linebacker, and so Peppers played there instead and was named the Big Ten's linebacker of the year.

"I know this," Michigan special-teams coach Chris Partridge said. "Some team's going to take him, and after one day of minicamp, they will be one happy organization. Maybe they won't know exactly where to play him right away, but he's a guy you're happy he's on your team."

Just watch. We'll get to other games in a minute, but keep Colorado on for now. Less than two minutes after blowing up poor Lindsay in the backfield, Peppers lines up at wide receiver and picks up 17 yards on a sweep. He gives Lindsay a break in the second quarter and instead spends it harassing wideout Devin Ross, No. 2 in white. On a third-and-10 early in the second, Colorado throws a screen to Ross. Peppers is too fast for Jay MacIntyre's block and gets there in time to tackle Ross by his left hip. It's a 1-yard loss. The next play is a missed Colorado field goal.

"He's by no means a finished product, and there's going to be some concern about how much production he's going to give you as a deep-field player," ESPN NFL analyst and former NFL defensive back Louis Riddick said. "But his versatility is something I think a lot of teams are looking for. He can do just about everything. In terms of foot speed, hip flexibility, closing speed, he has no limitations. If I'm an NFL team, I'm playing him at safety, and I'm using him to make life miserable."

A minute into the second half, after Colorado has snagged the lead again at 28-24, Peppers catches a kickoff in his own end zone and returns it past midfield. Five minutes later, on second-and-10 with Michigan up 31-28, he is lined up 4 yards off the line of scrimmage but moving forward at the snap. Again ... box safety? Linebacker? Who cares? He spots the flaw in the protection, with the center looking the wrong way, and shoots the B-gap for a sack.

"I was playing the nickel there, and we were showing an 'apex' look," Peppers recalled about that play, which was his backup answer once he disqualified the first-quarter tackle from his list of favorites. "And I walked up, tried to simulate getting into the box, just kept walking until their lineman took his eyes off of me. Then I was just hoping the center didn't set my way, but he set to the right instead, and it was all clear for the sack."

Then, with 11:40 left and the Wolverines up by 10, Colorado has to punt, and guess who is back there waiting for it.

"The interception thing, come on. He's got good hands. The dude catches punts!" Brown said. "Are you kidding me? That's the hardest thing in the world to do."

Watch.

This one is a low liner that Peppers snags at his own 47, and to him, the field looks like one of those placemat mazes kids solve while they wait for their macaroni and cheese at the diner. Slide right, zip forward, shimmy away from one diving tackler, shift your shoulders left and speed past two more. Tuck the ball high on your left side so No. 43 can't get to it while he wraps his arms around your waist, then keep your legs moving and run through the arm tackle while No. 43 falls on his back. Twenty-five yards to go and one more move to make. It comes at the 18, an Emmitt Smith-style, shoulder-shake juke that will haunt the nightmares of No. 30 in white, who tries one more time to wrap Peppers up at the 2 but can't. Touchdown. Cue the band. Hail to the conquering heroes.

"The more you give him, the more he wants," Partridge said. "That's why he's going to be successful."

Just watch.

Watch Peppers in the first quarter against Penn State. The ball is punted from the Nittany Lions' end zone, and it's a booming kick. Peppers has to scramble back to his own 40 to get his hands on it. He actually muffs it but scoops it back up, takes a beat to get his mental snapshot of the field-as-placemat-maze and takes off. No one touches him. He cuts sharply to his left to avoid a tackle at the Penn State 30, and that does him in, as he trips over his own feet and stumbles forward before finally falling 9 yards short of a touchdown.

"How many plays does Jabrill Peppers play in a game?" Partridge asked rhetorically. "110? 120? I remember about 12 years ago, somebody put together a Charles Woodson tape, and it was 'The Charles Woodson you don't see.' And the point was, yeah, you see all of his highlights, but here's a collection of plays no one really focuses on, and it's him doing things away from the ball or blocking or things that don't show up on the highlights. I want to do one for Jabrill, because it's the same idea. This is a guy who returns a punt 20 yards, and then he's running a 60-yard decoy 'go' route on the next play."

Partridge got to see it before the rest of us did. He was coaching at Paramus Catholic High School in 2012, when Peppers decided to transfer there from North Jersey rival Don Bosco. Peppers won New Jersey state titles at Bosco in each of his first two years but wanted a change. Guess which school won the next two state titles.

"I had no clue," Partridge said. "I knew we were getting a talented young man. I just didn't know how he'd fit into our team. We had 14 Division I players, I believe. We were good. He comes in with all this attention and fanfare. But day one, he shows up, and it's clear he's a team guy."

Peppers isn't big -- 5-foot-11, 213 pounds -- but he's physical. Most scouts think he'll end up as an in-the-box safety. Photo by Jason Mowry/Icon Sportswire
There was nothing Partridge could give Peppers that he didn't want to do. Peppers played quarterback, tailback, wide receiver, cornerback, safety and linebacker. He rushed the passer. He returned kicks, of course. One time, he played fullback -- yes, really.

"We got a fullback hurt, and we usually didn't run a lot of two-back stuff, but this game we wanted to use a fullback," Partridge said. "So I told them we were going to change the plan, and Jabrill put his hand up and said, 'Nah, coach. I got this.' So he's out there kicking out on power and blocking for the tailback. Just Jabrill being Jabrill."

Peppers' Michigan coaches marvel at his stamina. Brown said he offered to give Peppers breaks after he took four or five offensive snaps in a row in practice, and Peppers always turned him down. Partridge recalled a game at Michigan in which the Wolverines were "up by three touchdowns" late, and he told Peppers he could sit out kick coverage duties. Peppers went in anyway.

"See, to me, everything's a competition," Peppers said. "And if a team has a really good kick returner, you want to be out there to make sure they know you're better than that kick returner is."

His favorite thing to do on a football field?

"I like hitting," he said. "But scoring a touchdown is a close second."

His favorite NFL players of the past are Ed Reed and Sean Taylor, who are on the Mount Rushmore of safeties. His favorite current players are Arizona's Patrick Peterson and Jacksonville's A.J. Bouye, whom he discovered while watching him play for the Texans last season. He had never heard of Bouye but was impressed by what he saw and followed him the rest of the season.

"Then I heard he was undrafted, and I just liked that chip he played with on a very good, aggressive defense," Peppers said. "That tells you a lot about a guy, when you can see what's driving him."

That Peppers stamina? Hard work, he says.

"I just credit that to the conditioning, and that's something my coaches have put in me," he said. "It's just always been a big emphasis for me -- running, everything I need to do in terms of conditioning. I might have gotten winded a few times, but I never really got tired."

Just watch.

Watch him against Michigan State, a game he opened by running for a 3-yard touchdown as a Wildcat quarterback and ended by picking up a fumbled two-point attempt and running it back 88 yards. Early in the second quarter, on fourth-and-1 for the Spartans from the Wolverines' 43. Peppers is playing weakside linebacker, 3 yards off the line and on the offense's left side. The handoff is to Michigan State running back Gerald Holmes, No. 24, who is running to his right behind a fullback and a tight end. He needs 1 yard. Peppers tears through the gap between the center and left guard and around the fullback and brings Holmes down from behind with two hands around his waist.

"That play, he's a box linebacker, runs through the A-gap on fourth-and-short for minus yards," Brown said. "And everybody's, 'Aw, he's not big enough to do that.' He can do anything he wants to do."

Watch the Iowa game. Three minutes in, on third-and-11 for Iowa from its own 49, Peppers begins the play 10 yards off the line, one of two high safeties. He walks up into the box before the snap. Eyes in the backfield as Iowa quarterback C.J. Beathard takes a deep drop, then as soon as Beathard breaks to run left, Peppers mirrors him. Beathard is not getting the corner.

"On that play, he's playing the back," Brown said. "He feels the QB rolling out to his right and has to add on to get him. Add on. I can coach a true linebacker to do that, and it's not getting done as efficiently as he does it."

You watch Peppers, and you see speed. You see instincts. You see -- lack of interceptions aside -- an innate ability and desire to make the kind of plays that change games. College games, yes, and until you see someone succeed in the NFL, you have to wonder. The NFL is unforgiving, and the draft's history is littered with college stars whose games didn't translate. But Peppers is not one for worrying.

"It's been a bit stressful, but who am I to complain when so many have done it before me?" he said of the pre-draft process. "Somebody takes a chance on me, I'm just going to give them everything I've got, and that's all I can do."

What kind of player will Jabrill Peppers be in the NFL?

Let's watch.

Last edited:
I don't want Jabrill Peppers. The more I watch him, the more I think, WHAT would I do with him? Inside the tackles as a linebacker or $backer, he gets eaten up by blockers and bounced around. The further he gets from the line of scrimmage, the less instinctive he looks. When he turns to cover and his back is to the football, he is awful, so if you play him in the slot, all any team has to do is carry him down the field. Michigan used him outside the tackles as a LB (run defender) to force plays back inside with some coverage mixed in and it was a mixed bag in coverage.

So, where does he fit for us? He isn't a deep safety. He isn't an ILB. He isn't a true slot coverage guy. What can we possibly do with him that helps this defense?

I still think Peppers is a SS, and we just drafted one of those.

Not a Peppers fan and definitely DO NOT want Williams on the team. Too many other good players and need players than to go after Williams or take more of a luxury pick in the 1st round. We have too many needs.

I don't want Jabrill Peppers. The more I watch him, the more I think, WHAT would I do with him? Inside the tackles as a linebacker or $backer, he gets eaten up by blockers and bounced around. The further he gets from the line of scrimmage, the less instinctive he looks. When he turns to cover and his back is to the football, he is awful, so if you play him in the slot, all any team has to do is carry him down the field. Michigan used him outside the tackles as a LB (run defender) to force plays back inside with some coverage mixed in and it was a mixed bag in coverage.

So, where does he fit for us? He isn't a deep safety. He isn't an ILB. He isn't a true slot coverage guy. What can we possibly do with him that helps this defense?

Hey TMC let's bet lmao!! I just like him. I think the warts we see now can be worked out by letting him play one position. The intangibles can't be overlooked either. By no means is he my No 1 but I just wouldn't be upset if he was picked. Also if picked maybe they try him at SS and let Davis be that moneybacker in the Nickel and dime. Just a thought. This draft is so deep the Steelers shouldn't be able to **** this up. So I'm NOT married to any one guy. I have a long list of guys I would be ok with and Peppers is on it

Well that's settles it Ike agreed

Ike Taylor has Steelers taking Jabrill Peppers in first round
Bryan DeArdo - 2 hours ago 0

Ike Taylor has the Steelers selecting Michigan safety Jabrill Peppers in the first round in the 2017 NFL Draft.

Taylor, Pittsburgh's former cornerback and current NFL Network analyst, said during the network's mock draft that he versatile defender is the perfect fit for a Steelers defense that finished the 2016 season 10th in scoring and 16th in pass defense after finishing 30th in that department in 2015.

“I’m looking at the (Steelers') offense. The offense is booming," Taylor said. "The defense is doing real good in the red zone, (but) we can’t get off the field on third down.”

"I’m going to go with the guy from Michigan, Jabrill Peppers. He played linebacker, he played corner, he played safety. He’s a Pittsburgh Steeler. We saw him at the combine; you wanna talk about a guy who doesn’t lack confidence? This guy doesn’t lack confidence or energy. He competes against himself."

Former Michigan safety Jabrill Peppers won the Big 10's Defensive Player of the Year Award last season. (Photo: Rick Osentoski, USA TODAY Sports)
The Steelers are looking to win their seventh Vince Lombardi Trophy in 2017. Keep up with all of the news and sign up for our FREE Steelers newsletter

Despite his accolades that includes winning the Big 10 Defensive Player of the Year award, his skeptics point to the fact that Peppers forced just one turnover last season while lining up at linebacker and safety for Michigan's defense. He also saw time at running back and was also the Wolverine's best punt returner, averaging 14.8 yards per return while scoring a touchdown in that capacity.

“When you’re not comfortable in one position, you can’t get turnovers, so the turnovers he made he had to make plays," Taylor said. "When you play everywhere, it’s hard to make turnovers.”

The 6'1, 205-pound Peppers recorded 66 tackles last season (13 for loss) to go with 167 rushing yards and three touchdowns on 27 carries.

Fellow NFL Network analyst Bucky Brooks agreed with Taylor while adding that he feels that the Steelers will use Peppers similarly to the way they used Troy Polamalu, who enjoyed a Hall of Fame career while playing strong safety for the black and gold for 12 seasons. The 13th overall pick in the 2003 NFL Draft, Polamalu was an eight time Pro Bowler, four time All Pro and the 2010 NFL Defensive Player of the Year.

“I think he’s a guy that is a nice fit in Pittsburgh because Pittsburgh has a blue print. You think about what they were able to do with Troy Polamalu, moving him around, putting him in position to make plays, I think Jabrill Peppers is a guy that you can use in that vain. I think that they come up with a nice package for him to be a nickel player, sometimes drop him at linebacker and do a bunch of different things to impact the game."

Hey TMC let's bet lmao!! I just like him. I think the warts we see now can be worked out by letting him play one position. The intangibles can't be overlooked either. By no means is he my No 1 but I just wouldn't be upset if he was picked. Also if picked maybe they try him at SS and let Davis be that moneybacker in the Nickel and dime. Just a thought. This draft is so deep the Steelers shouldn't be able to **** this up. So I'm NOT married to any one guy. I have a long list of guys I would be ok with and Peppers is on it

So we are going to draft a guy and move the other guy to another position and hope for the best?

So that is two players we are hoping develops at new positions.Or semi new positions.

Which would limit your more need positions at OLB/WR/FS/CB/RB/DE/QB/ILB with not enough draft picks to cover them all.

So not only are you hoping these two guys advance at those positions, but the chance that the weaker parts of the team improves just took a hit.

For me I prefer to take BPA but with needs in mind. And there is enough needs that I think we can overlook areas in 1 that well are obvious lesser needs.

And if they want a nickle dime player.... draft one that has shown he is a fit for the nickle dime. Davis has shown he is a fit for SS.

They tried Davis in the slot last year, ended up moving him to the regular safety position, some out of need from injury, some out of him not faring as well. He fits where he is and I'm not looking to move around a guy that is playing well to accomodate someone else. Peppers has great intangibles, great kid, good with the ball in his hands. I'm not arguing against him as a person or teammate. But, again, go to the film. He is putrid if a receiver gets him turned and going deep. He doesn't get his head around, doesn't read the actions of the receiver, and just doesn't make many plays on the ball in those situations. As a deep safety, he doesn't show great instincts when off the line, out of the box. The deeper he plays, the less instinctual he is moving to the football. The Steelers like the Cover-2, which requires two safeties that can split the field and cover. That isn't Peppers. They even run it with Davis there. They did it with Polamalu in many instances.

As a moneybacker inside the tackles, when guards get on him, they blow him up. I mean, I've watched him get knocked off his feet and onto his back. It is ugly. He doesn't slip well enough to be one of two ILBs. Maybe if you are a 4-3 team and you can slip him wider than the OT making it harder for blockers to get on him in space, but that isn't us.

Someone will probably take him high, I just hope it isn't us.

They tried Davis in the slot last year, ended up moving him to the regular safety position, some out of need from injury, some out of him not faring as well. He fits where he is and I'm not looking to move around a guy that is playing well to accomodate someone else. Peppers has great intangibles, great kid, good with the ball in his hands. I'm not arguing against him as a person or teammate. But, again, go to the film. He is putrid if a receiver gets him turned and going deep. He doesn't get his head around, doesn't read the actions of the receiver, and just doesn't make many plays on the ball in those situations. As a deep safety, he doesn't show great instincts when off the line, out of the box. The deeper he plays, the less instinctual he is moving to the football. The Steelers like the Cover-2, which requires two safeties that can split the field and cover. That isn't Peppers. They even run it with Davis there. They did it with Polamalu in many instances.

As a moneybacker inside the tackles, when guards get on him, they blow him up. I mean, I've watched him get knocked off his feet and onto his back. It is ugly. He doesn't slip well enough to be one of two ILBs. Maybe if you are a 4-3 team and you can slip him wider than the OT making it harder for blockers to get on him in space, but that isn't us.

Someone will probably take him high, I just hope it isn't us.

not to mention if they look at a S why wouldn't it be FS. That is S position old in the tooth.

If they picked Peppers over say Baker I would just lose it.

So, Ike Taylor is the end-all of the discussion? Really. You do realize that the blue-print Ike knows is now sitting in Tennessee. They don't even run the same 3-4 they ran when he was here, the Okie front is gone, Timmons is gone, even entertained Hightower, comletely different animal from Timmons. No pure zone corners (drafted a man corner last year) and instead of a box SS, they took Davis.

The blueprint he knew is gone.

not to mention if they look at a S why wouldn't it be FS. That is S position old in the tooth.

If they picked Peppers over say Baker I would just lose it.

The Steelers have never really drafted the traditional SS/FS roles. Troy Polamalu wasn't some big thumping SS. Mike MItchell isn't some back-end coverage FS. Ryan Clark wasn't either. They want guys in the middle of the two, good coverage guys who will hit. And, you can bet that since Tomlin probably has more to say about the defense now (since Butler is entering his 3rd season as DC), they get a guy like Shazier who could drop in the deep middle (ala Tampa-2/Cover-2), that they will want a FS similar to Davis, good coverage guy who tackles. Peppers has the tackling part down. It is the coverage part where he struggles and the further away from the LOS he gets, the less comfortable in coverage he becomes. Don't believe me, watch his film. That is all I am saying, watch his film. Start with Colorado last year, one of the first plays, motion sends the receiver to the other side giving him the deep middle, he bites on run action and leaves it wide open for an easy pitch and catch.

He makes Mike Mitchell look HOF worthy.

Watch the 3rd play in the clip. And, I'd state watch more film of him in coverage, especially when his back is to the QB.

So, Ike Taylor is the end-all of the discussion? Really. You do realize that the blue-print Ike knows is now sitting in Tennessee. They don't even run the same 3-4 they ran when he was here, the Okie front is gone, Timmons is gone, even entertained Hightower, comletely different animal from Timmons. No pure zone corners (drafted a man corner last year) and instead of a box SS, they took Davis.

The blueprint he knew is gone.

That was most definitely a joke

The Steelers have never really drafted the traditional SS/FS roles. Troy Polamalu wasn't some big thumping SS. Mike MItchell isn't some back-end coverage FS. Ryan Clark wasn't either. They want guys in the middle of the two, good coverage guys who will hit. And, you can bet that since Tomlin probably has more to say about the defense now (since Butler is entering his 3rd season as DC), they get a guy like Shazier who could drop in the deep middle (ala Tampa-2/Cover-2), that they will want a FS similar to Davis, good coverage guy who tackles. Peppers has the tackling part down. It is the coverage part where he struggles and the further away from the LOS he gets, the less comfortable in coverage he becomes. Don't believe me, watch his film. That is all I am saying, watch his film. Start with Colorado last year, one of the first plays, motion sends the receiver to the other side giving him the deep middle, he bites on run action and leaves it wide open for an easy pitch and catch.

He makes Mike Mitchell look HOF worthy.

Like I said definitely not married to him just stating I could live with the pick as it's rumored we have interest. I think the only pick I would lose it in is if they go QB in this deep position draft which fits our needs

not to mention if they look at a S why wouldn't it be FS. That is S position old in the tooth. If they picked Peppers over say Baker I would just lose it.

They could play Peppers in a hybrid role this year, then move Sean Davis to FS and Peppers to SS full time next year. Plus he's a top notch return man. Just saying.

edit - I also think Peppers will be long gone before we pick. But I think he has plenty of qualities that any NFL team, including the Steelers, would want to add to the mix. The fact that he was a jack of all trades at Michigan just proves his versatility. I think the Steelers would figure out real quick what his best spot is - probably SS - and he could lock down that position for the next 5+ years as a dynamic playmaker.

Last edited:
I just think he comes off someone who will put in the work to be great at whatever position he settles in at.

I just think he comes off someone who will put in the work to be great at whatever position he settles in at.
Agreed. I think that's what Ike Taylor was refering to, the way this kid carries himself. Peppers has a lot of work ahead of him playing in space on D. But it seems to me he has the speed and athleticism to be a great safety in the not too distant future. He sacrified for his team playing LB and whatever else they needed at Michigan. I wouldn't hold that against him. Nor would I bet against him, as he seems as determined as anyone to be a great NFL player. If he's there at 30, and a few other targets - such as Budda Baker, Takaris and some of the top corners are gone, I would rather we pick Peppers over the likes of Obi or some of the lower ranked CB's or edge rushers. I will be shocked if he's still on the board, so this discussion is most likely moot.

And now breaking news he(Peppers)has tested positive for a diluted sample

And now breaking news he(Peppers)has tested positive for a diluted sample
Hmm, maybe he will drop to the bottom of the first or even the 2nd. Wonder what the deal is, don't recall him having any drug related issues.