• Please be aware we've switched the forums to their own URL. (again) You'll find the new website address to be www.steelernationforum.com Thanks
  • Please clear your private messages. Your inbox is close to being full.

2022 Senior Bowl QB Stats............

Chicoman

Reaction score
Pickett looked good for the 2 drives he was in. As I've said before his accuracy is some of the best I've ever seen for a College QB. And we can put to rest the Mythical Legacy of Malik Willis who is not an NFL caliber QB and has some of the worst mechanics I've ever seen throwing the football! I don't care what anyone says if the Steelers have a chance to get Kenny Pickett....YOU GO GET HIM! They traded up for a bum like Devin Bust....they might as well take a chance on Pickett. I think he has the potential to be a generational talent at the next level! All the other QB's are not on the same level as Pickett. He's a top tier QB prospect!

MOBILE, Ala. — Below are the full statistics for the each quarterback that participated in the 2022 Senior Bowl on Saturday, Feb. 5 at Hancock Whitney Stadium on the campus of South Alabama.

2022 Senior Bowl National Team Quarterbacks​

KENNY PICKETT, PITT​

Passing: 6 for 6, 89 yards, one touchdown, one sack
Longest pass: 38 yards
Completion percentage: 100%

Passer rating: 279.6
Yards per attempt: 14.8

Rushing: n/a

Drives: 2
Plays: 9

DESMOND, RIDDER, CINCINNATI​

Passing: 4 for 6, 68 yards, two touchdowns
Longest pass: 25 yards
Completion percentage: 67%
Passer rating: 271.9
Yards per attempt: 11.3 yards

Rushing: 3 carries, 14 yards
Longest rush: 9 yards
Yards per attempt: 4

Drives: 3
Plays: 21

CARSON STRONG, NEVADA​

Passing: 6 for 11, 67 yards, interception
Longest pass: 32 yards
Completion percentage: 55%
Passer rating: 87.5
Yards per attempt: 6.1

Rushing: 1 carry, 0 yards

Drives: 5
Plays: 21

2022 Senior Bowl American Team Quarterbacks​

MALIK WILLS, LIBERTY​

Passing: 2 of 4, 11 yards, sack
Longest pass: 6 yards
Completion percentage: 50%
Passer rating: 73.1
Yards per attempt: 2.75

Rushing: 4 carries, 54 yards
Longest rush: 27 yards
Yards per attempt: 13.5

Drives: 3
Plays: 15

SAM HOWELL, NORTH CAROLINA​

Passing: 6 of 9, 67 yards, 3 sacks, 2 fumbles, none lost
Longest pass: 19 yards
Completion percentage: 67%
Passer rating: 129.2
Yards per attempt: 7.4

Rushing: 5 carries, 29 yards
Longest rush: 8 yards
Yards per attempt: 5.8

Drives: 4
Plays: 29

BAILEY ZAPPE, WESTERN KENTUCKY​

Passing: 8 of 13, 103 yards, four sacks
Longest pass: 39 yards
Completion percentage: 62%
Passer rating: 112.7
Yards per attempt: 9.4

Rushing: n/a

Drives: 4
Plays: 23

Tomlin is in love with Willis. If the Steelers pick a qb, he is it. It doesn't matter if there is a better qb. Tomlin has already made up his mind.

Pickett and Howell both looked to be the best of the bunch in yesterday's game. Willis ran well...not much of a passer though - looked like Kordell 2.0.

Tomlin is in love with Willis. If the Steelers pick a qb, he is it. It doesn't matter if there is a better qb. Tomlin has already made up his mind.
The Steelers are now on the clock, and the pick is in!

How the **** can Tomlin be in love with Willis? I read somewhere a report from Dale Lolley that he said the Steelers will pick Kenny Pickett if he's there at #20 when they pick. Not sure how credible that guy is but I watched Willis this season and last night in the Senior Bowl. He's TERRIBLE! He makes Kordell Stewart look like Tom Brady! If the Steelers draft Malik Willis I think you can pretty much write the team off until they give up on him as a QB. He's that bad!

I would rather have Ridder in a trade down to late first or take him in the second or third in a perfect world than take Willis.

I'm really hoping another team falls in love with Willis and takes him before 20.

That man love from Tomlin seems too authentic for my liking.

I know that ceiling is hard to ignore, but Willis needs a lot of work, and Tomlin is just not the coach to oversee that kind of development. He just isn't.

I would rather have Ridder in a trade down to late first or take him in the second or third in a perfect world than take Willis.
Ridder has accuracy issues. Can you say Jeff George 2.0! Accuracy can't be taught. You either have it or you don't! Ridder will not cut it in the NFL.

Ridder has accuracy issues. Can you say Jeff George 2.0! Accuracy can't be taught. You either have it or you don't! Ridder will not cut it in the NFL.
Josh Allen says "Hi". Not saying Ridder is the same as Allen, but Allen came into the league with accuracy issues too.
I've always wondered about the statement that you can't teach accuracy. In darts, you can hone accuracy. In bowling you can hone accuracy. In archery you can hone accuracy. In so many sports, you can hone accuracy by making adjustments to stance, footwork, delivery, the motions used to deliver the object to the target. But, a QB can't adjust his lower body mechanics, throwing motion, hand eye coordination, delivery angle, touch to become more accurate? They're just born either able to accurately throw a football or not?

How often have you watched him? He can be very accurate at times. Ben also had occasional issues with accuracy. I remember plenty of times saying Ben will be Ben you have to take the good with the bad.

Malik Willis
I understand why he's thought to have the highest upside. You can see the athleticism translate on the field to use his legs as weapons to extend the play as well as run the ball. He has a pretty big arm and can use it for off-platform throws. His accuracy is shaky and he was only mediocre against P5 competition, including two games against Syracuse (62.6% passing, 949 yards, 9 TDs, 6 INTs in 5 games). I kept waiting for him to make a play with his arm in the Senior Bowl and he didn't. While they can succeed, I haven't seen many short QBs do well (Brees, Wilson, who else?).

Kenny Pickett
Pickett is the most pro ready QB in this draft. Good demeanor on the field and can make any throw. Accuracy is good, but he doesn't throw his receivers open often enough. Has enough athleticism he can make plays with his legs, but still has happy feet and will run himself into pressure rather than step up and make a throw. I think he has the upside of a Derek Carr, but isn't a guy who is going to carry a team on his back.

Desmond Ridder
Like Pickett, a lot of experience. He has good size, though can add some weight to his frame. He's made a lot of big-time throws over his career and helped turn Cincinnati into the top G5 team in the country. He has a good arm and moves well in the pocket. Can be erratic with his throws. Over the last two years against Georgia, Notre Dame, and Alabama he completed only 59.4% of his passes and threw for 4 TDs, 0 INTs.

Sam Howell
Tough football player. Was once talked about as the No. 1 overall choice, so the talent is there. He has good arm strength and decent accuracy. He is a playmaker with his legs. However, when the talent at UNC left for the NFL, Howell's play fell off. He's not a guy who is going to elevate his teammates and instead needs talent around him to elevate his own play. Like Willis, he's small at just over 6 feet.

Carson Strong
He is said to have the best arm among the top QBs in this draft, but wasn't consistent with his arm during Senior Bowl week. Despite this, he has prototypical size and completed 70% of his passes over the past two seasons. He is a true pocket passer with the ability to buy time in the pocket, but struggles throwing when under pressure.

Matt Corral
While Corral didn't burst onto the scene this season. he improved his game by cutting down on his interceptions. Very accurate over the past two seasons and productive through the air. Has the mobility to extend plays and plays tough. Will need to develop his ability to play in a pro scheme and lacks size.

I'm not sure who I pass on for any of the QBs as some of my top targets are listed below. Overall, I am not a fan of short QBs, which leaves Pickett as the only 1st-round option with Ridder and Strong being second-round guys in my mind.

Wide Receiver
Garrett Wilson
Jameson Williams
Drake London
Chris Olave

Offensive Line
Charles Cross
Ikem Ekwonu
Kenyon Green
Tyler Linderbaum

Defensive Line
Jordan Davis

Cornerback
Trent McDuffie
Ahmad Gardner

How often have you watched him? He can be very accurate at times. Ben also had occasional issues with accuracy. I remember plenty of times saying Ben will be Ben you have to take the good with the bad.
Definitely not Jeff George. First of all he has better mobility. Sure he isn't a finished prospect which I why I don't take him before 2. But for those things that he is working on he still has shown the ability to thread the needle. So you just don't start him right away. That isn't a deal breaker. He has height, arm strength, mobility. And want to. As he learned some new things at the Senior bowl and still managed to perform. I like him as a developmental type. I don't think the value is there for 1. I definitely don't want Willis he looks like Lamar Jackson light to me with his deficiencies and strengths. Pickett for better or worse cemented himself in the top 10 with a weak class. I don't want any shrimp QBs.

Definitely not Jeff George. First of all he has better mobility. Sure he isn't a finished prospect which I why I don't take him before 2. But for those things that he is working on he still has shown the ability to thread the needle. So you just don't start him right away. That isn't a deal breaker. He has height, arm strength, mobility. And want to. As he learned some new things at the Senior bowl and still managed to perform. I like him as a developmental type. I don't think the value is there for 1. I definitely don't want Willis he looks like Lamar Jackson light to me with his deficiencies and strengths. Pickett for better or worse cemented himself in the top 10 with a weak class. I don't want any shrimp QBs.
Accuracy is not something you can teach a QB. You either have it or you don't! That is why I referenced Jeff George. Jeff George was a guy coming out of college who they said checked all the boxes for everything you look for in a QB. He was supposed to be the college QB who had it all...just like Ridder....except the accuracy throwing the football. Ridder is the same type of QB. If a QB can't be accurate throwing the football with consitency then that is not a QB I want on my team! Look at Tom Brady....coming out of college the kid really checked no boxes except his accuracy.......yeah the rest is history! Kenny Pickett has the accuracy needed at the next level. If your worried about his mobility and size don't be. The kid in 6'3" and 220 lbs. Physically he has the tools....but his accuracy is something to marvel at. The kid could be as good as Joe Burrow.

Accuracy is not something you can teach a QB. You either have it or you don't! That is why I referenced Jeff George. Jeff George was a guy coming out of college who they said checked all the boxes for everything you look for in a QB. He was supposed to be the college QB who had it all...just like Ridder....except the accuracy throwing the football. Ridder is the same type of QB. If a QB can't be accurate throwing the football with consistency then that is not a QB I want on my team! Look at Tom Brady....coming out of college the kid really checked no boxes except his accuracy.......yeah the rest is history! Kenny Pickett has the accuracy needed at the next level. If your worried about his mobility and size don't be. The kid in 6'3" and 220 lbs. Physically he has the tools....but his accuracy is something to marvel at. The kid could be as good as Joe Burrow.
Plenty of QBs have improved their accuracy season to season. Some do and yeah some don't. It is a gamble to a certain degree. College QBs, NFL QBs. An inexact science. You are taking on a risk with any QB in this class. His accuracy dipped down from 66 to 64 percent this season. So yeah that is where his questions start and finish. I don't think 66 percent was horrible either just not great. You would like for it to jump to 70 but **** that is why he would be available in 2. I think he can improve in the area. I tell you what doesn't improve the team ..doing nothing. Somewhere you have to take on risks. Now is the time to do it minus a franchise.

Plenty of QBs have improved their accuracy season to season. Some do and yeah some don't. It is a gamble to a certain degree. College QBs, NFL QBs. An inexact science. You are taking on a risk with any QB in this class. His accuracy dipped down from 66 to 64 percent this season. So yeah that is where his questions start and finish. I don't think 66 percent was horrible either just not great. You would like for it to jump to 70 but **** that is why he would be available in 2. I think he can improve in the area. I tell you what doesn't improve the team ..doing nothing. Somewhere you have to take on risks. Now is the time to do it minus a franchise.
Comparing the two from games watched and from stats I don't see this terrible inaccuracy you talk about. Pickett was slightly more accurate this year but not by much. Both have a lot of experience and Ridder has a bit better mobility. I would take either one but would rather have Ridder in a later round getting OL, DL or MLB help in the first.
1644175132629.png1644175192841.png

Attachments

• 1644175054817.png
    1644175054817.png
    8.3 KB · Views: 1
Comparing the two from games watched and from stats I don't see this terrible inaccuracy you talk about. Pickett was slightly more accurate this year but not by much. Both have a lot of experience and Ridder has a bit better mobility. I would take either one but would rather have Ridder in a later round getting OL, DL or MLB help in the first.
View attachment 8008View attachment 8009
Sure if we want to talk about what we would rather have instead of the Steelers picking a QB to groom. Then I go back to the Oline and Dline. That is my true preference. I am just saying what is the less of all evil if they do go QB? I am perfectly fine with not picking a QB and bringing in one in free agency. But if the draft is their desired approach I can convince myself of Ridder over a Baker and Jackson look alike. Or trading up to get a QB that took a long time to shine.

Before I forget I had to look it up to make sure Allen in college had a 66 percent season then followed it up with a 53 ish percentage two seasons in a row. Then gradually improved for the Bills. Then had one of the best performances I have seen in awhile. I won't scratch Ridder off for having a 64 completion season. Like I said not my first want but there is some things there to like.

View attachment 8008View attachment 8009
I think it is more of a game-by-game basis for Ridder.

In 2021 he had:
-6 games below 62%
-4 games 62-70%
-4 games above 70%

In 2020 he had:
-3 games below 62%
-5 games 62-70%
-2 games above 70%

Before I forget I had to look it up to make sure Allen in college had a 66 percent season then followed it up with a 53 ish percentage two seasons in a row. Then gradually improved for the Bills. Then had one of the best performances I have seen in awhile. I won't scratch Ridder off for having a 64 completion season. Like I said not my first want but there is some things there to like.
You can't scratch off Ridder for having a 66% season, calling him inaccurate and then turn around and say Pickett was accurate because he had a 67.2% completion rate this year. If that's the case, what about the two seasons where Pickett hovered around 61% and the seasons both Pickett and Ridder had at below 60%? Does Ridder get docked for that while Pickett gets praised? It's a gamble picking a QB. Maybe more than any other position. But, if you set the criteria for one, you have to evaluate the others by the same criteria.

I think it is more of a game-by-game basis for Ridder.

In 2021 he had:
-6 games below 62%
-4 games 62-70%
-4 games above 70%

In 2020 he had:
-3 games below 62%
-5 games 62-70%
-2 games above 70%
If you do the same type of dive into Pickett for 2021 you find that he had:

- 3 games below 62%
- 5 games 62-70%
- 5 games above 70% (Other than possibly Miami, those games above 70% came against some pretty weak competition: Syracuse, University of New Hampshire, Western Michigan and UMass).

I don't even think the question is one of Ridder v. Pickett though. First, Pickett will be long gone by the time the Steelers pick and I don't see anyone advocating that they mortgage the future to take him. So, the question really is, one of "IF" the Steelers had the opportunity to pick Ridder in the second, would you be OK with it?
I wouldn't jump for joy. I'd be kinda "meh" about it. I'd rather they focus on OL/DL/WR./ILB/CB. I wouldn't ***** about it either though.

You can't scratch off Ridder for having a 66% season, calling him inaccurate and then turn around and say Pickett was accurate because he had a 67.2% completion rate this year. If that's the case, what about the two seasons where Pickett hovered around 61% and the seasons both Pickett and Ridder had at below 60%? Does Ridder get docked for that while Pickett gets praised? It's a gamble picking a QB. Maybe more than any other position. But, if you set the criteria for one, you have to evaluate the others by the same criteria.
Pickett gets knocked for how long it took him to shine. I think he has a chance to be good. His percentages for me isn't the issue. Let's face it this year was an overall good year for him. But before that the TDs were low and the ints in comparison weren't. I said from the beginning I had a concern that it took him as long as it did.

Saying that I liked that he played in the Senior Bowl and played well. That actually lowered my concerns slightly. Thing is it probably took him out of the Steelers range. So pretty much for again me, I am writing him off as he will be a top ten pick maybe even top 5.

If he was there at 20 ? I would take that risk now. As he didn't shy away from competition in a different setting and shined. Another concern was he didn't play in the bowl game but the senior bowl erased that complaint.

Pickett gets knocked for how long it took him to shine. I think he has a chance to be good. His percentages for me isn't the issue. Let's face it this year was an overall good year for him. But before that the TDs were low and the ints in comparison weren't. I said from the beginning I had a concern that it took him as long as it did.

Saying that I liked that he played in the Senior Bowl and played well. That actually lowered my concerns slightly. Thing is it probably took him out of the Steelers range. So pretty much for again me, I am writing him off as he will be a top ten pick maybe even top 5.

If he was there at 20 ? I would take that risk now. As he didn't shy away from competition in a different setting and shined. Another concern was he didn't play in the bowl game but the senior bowl erased that complaint.
We're pretty much in agreement. Only difference being I think the overall lack of QB talent this year means that all of these guys get drafted ahead of where I believe they should be. Now, I recognize that "where I believe they should be" doesn't mean ****. But, in most years you're talking about a guy like Pickett being a mid to late first round or even second round guy. In years like this, it's like teams just say "We need a QB. This guy is close enough ...." I'd rather not see the Steelers do that in the first.

I don't even think the question is one of Ridder v. Pickett though. First, Pickett will be long gone by the time the Steelers pick and I don't see anyone advocating that they mortgage the future to take him. So, the question really is, one of "IF" the Steelers had the opportunity to pick Ridder in the second, would you be OK with it?
I wouldn't jump for joy. I'd be kinda "meh" about it. I'd rather they focus on OL/DL/WR./ILB/CB. I wouldn't ***** about it either though.
It depends on who is available. I've seen mock drafts where both in the first or second round there are 4-5 guys I would love to have on the Steelers. I've seen others where I want to trade back 10-15 spots because the options are very lackluster.

Only qb for Steelers is in Ohio right now cj stroud is the next Ben trade the #1 for future picks, this teams is going to stink anyway a #20 pick isn’t going to change that. That’s as close to tanking as the Steelers can manage anyway… it’s this simple no stroud no superbowls… decades of losing, decades of bickering over who should be fired, traded, or released… gota eat a **** sandwich now and again to appreciate a steak… all these crap qbs are a **** sandwich Compared to stroud I’m just trying to save y’all a lot of heartburn.

Only qb for Steelers is in Ohio right now cj stroud is the next Ben trade the #1 for future picks, this teams is going to stink anyway a #20 pick isn’t going to change that. That’s as close to tanking as the Steelers can manage anyway… it’s this simple no stroud no superbowls… decades of losing, decades of bickering over who should be fired, traded, or released… gota eat a **** sandwich now and again to appreciate a steak… all these crap qbs are a **** sandwich Compared to stroud I’m just trying to save y’all a lot of heartburn.
It will take a 2 or 3 win season to be in position to draft Young or Stroud. They'll win more than that even if Haskins starts and the OL doesn't improve.