• Please be aware we've switched the forums to their own URL. (again) You'll find the new website address to be www.steelernationforum.com Thanks
  • Please clear your private messages. Your inbox is close to being full.

2023 Week 1 pregame thread. San Francisco 49rs

madinsomniac

Reaction score
So assuming Bosa plays, this likely is our toughest game of the season. The 9rs are a very well constructed team with good schemes on both sides of the ball.

At QB we have the two best Rookies from last season.. both relatively unknown commodities…
Pickett had an average rookie season after being thrown to the wolves in week 4 of the season. Purdy was a phenom down the back stretch winning 5 regular season games and two playoff games.

Both qbs finished the season strong… Technically the only game Pickett lost after week 10 was the one he was knocked out of the game after one pass and tge game Purdy lost, he threw 4 passes then his throwing arm was ko’d…

Both of these teams have DPOY caliber pass rushers and defenses expected to finish in the top 5.

The 9rs have an established running game that carries their team. The Steelers have rebuilt their o trying to do the same.

The one area Steelers fans might be selling their team short in for this game is coaching…

For all the crap we give him, Tomlin has an excellent record with time to prepare for teams. He is 10-5-1 in opening games and 12-4 after the bye week … his record AFTER thursday night games is in the same range and even his Monday night record is great…so basically if you give him and his staff extra prep time, he has a very high success rate…
Shanahan, on the other hand, has a 2-4 record in opening games, 3-3 after the bye.. 2-4 after a Thursday night game.. he is 4-4 on Monday night games… he relies more on his system overcoming teams than specifically gameplanning for them.

I just think Tomlin usually does great as an underdog and with time against teams that are more systematic.. its when someone breaks from the norm and his preformed gameplan isn’t working that he tends to not adjust quickly enough… that really isn’t the 9rs…
I think we have a coaching advantage here…

Interesting points. I think we will need quick strike playcalls throughout this game. I'm thinking they, the 9ers, will run effectively on us. To keep the pressure on we need to move the ball with strategic passing. I'm assuming we will only be average running. I just don't know what to expect from the offensive line.

Bosa still unsigned has he even played in the preseason?

Will definitely be a great matchup for the Steelers as that team is no joke and has a great QB/WR/ RB trifecta. Damn good test for a reconstructed secondary.

Their D as you mentioned is solid.

I think points will be at a premium for the Steelers and won't come easily.

Could end up being a low scoring game on both sides..

Will definitely be a great matchup for the Steelers as that team is no joke and has a great QB/WR/ RB trifecta. Damn good test for a reconstructed secondary.

Could end up being a low scoring game on both sides..
Bosa and the team are about 4 million per year apart on a new deal and he is still holding out… most expect him back for game 1 but we will see… He did not play all preseason

Could end up being a low scoring game on both sides.

Right now they aren't. But just wait and see. They'll look like a joke after Pickett and company slices and dices them!
You heard it here first!

Apparently the Bosa's wring every dime out. So assuming he does get signed this week, how many snaps are you going to expose him to when he has not taken a training camp or preseason rep. 15 maybe 20. Him blowing up his hammy will not be good as the richest nfl defender.

Apparently the Bosa's wring every dime out. So assuming he does get signed this week, how many snaps are you going to expose him to when he has not taken a training camp or preseason rep. 15 maybe 20. Him blowing up his hammy will not be good as the richest nfl defender.
A lot. TJ Watt held in until just before the Bills game in 2021 and played over 80% of the defensive snaps in the opener.

My recollection is Watt was at camp that year and did everything but scrim and contact drills like backs on backers. Is Bosa at camp?
I think you are right I think he was an in camp holdout. Doing drills etc. Just no contact scrimmages... I don't think Bosa is doing the same approach. I think he has been absent.

10-5-1 with time to prepare is not an excellent record IMO.

Tomlin has much to prove this year with this roster and new GM.

10-5-1 with time to prepare is not an excellent record IMO.

Tomlin has much to prove this year with this roster and new GM.
… in what world is a .700 winning percentage not good? Most coaches are no where near that on opening day… and I was not just talking about opening days either…
There are 5 scenarios where a team can plays with greater than the standard 7 days between games …
-The opening game, where Tomlin is 10-5-1
-The week after the Bye, Where Tomlin is 12-4
-The ten day break after a thursday night game, where I believe Tomlin is 12-5,
-the week following a Saturday game, where Tomlin is 2-0…
-and of course, Monday night games… where Tomlin is 19-3

a couple of these could be redundant like a Monday night after a bye week or Thursday night game but it would probably only be a couple games if that…

The overall record is 55-17-1… a .760 record assuming no doubles…

No agendas… just basic hard facts… Mike Tomlin’s teams, given extra time to prepare a gameplan, are Excellent… and he has clearly improved as the years went on too…

Now one of the knocks on him is that once he has his gameplan and contingency plans, he doesn’t deviate from them when a team is doing something totally counter to what they thought until it is often too late… but that isn’t often the case when he has extra planning time… my guess is that they cover more bases there and are already ready for most changeups…

If you ever want to really be confused, look up Mike tomlin’s records as an underdog… all time, at home, vs a team with a better record… all of them.. as an underdog he is awesome… then look up those games that are happening before the big underdog games and the team definitely struggles a lot… which many of us have suspected means he spends extra time gameplanning for those bigger games and overlooks those games…

I think this game has a lot of stuff going against the 9ers…
-they have the biggest distractions… like bosa… -the injuries…. They might be using a 3rd string PS kicker, their top return man is out, their starting safety and Lb are both banged up and Kittle hasn’t practiced since camp ended because he is nursing something too..
-They are traveling east for an early morning road game for them …
-they have a coach that hasn’t to date been great in these opener situations…
Oh yeah.. Pittsburgh seems to not get these home openers often, So that stadium will be a madhouse ….

Oh yeah.. Pittsburgh seems to not get these home openers often, So that stadium will be a madhouse ….
I saw people were looking to BUY preseason tickets to the Bills game. Training camp crowds were huge this year. Definitely a different feel and the home crowds will be much better than in recent years.

I took a closer look into this game roster, and matchups:

Highsmith will have it rough going against their stud T. But TJ and Heyward should be able to pressure and do it well. They will need to as 49ers have an elite set of skill position players. If you give that offense time they will carve up a secondary that will need time to mesh well. One good thing is Purdy isn't an elite deep ball QB so the safeties can cheat in a little closer. Steelers have some blitz capable secondary players. I would mix that in to bring an extra element of pressure to help slow their offense.

On defense the 49ers have one of the leagues best run defenses. Steelers will have to run efficiently to keep their Bosa and Hargrave pass rush from teeing off. I would max protect towards Bosa when he is in and switch towards Hargrave when he isn't.

That Kit cat probably will play and slowing Debbo and him will be a key into keeping it a close game. That is where I would cheat my coverage capable safeties.

McCaffrey is one of the best receiving backs. The Steelers should bring a heavier snap count of their coverage capable inside linebackers to cover for that capable element.

I don't think this is the game to test the longer passing game in regards to how far it has developed in preseason. You want Kenny rolling out when needed to keep the chains moving. If anything this is the game for him to show his improved accuracy. Keep hitting those intermediate throws and make use of Najee and Warren's pass capable.

A lot of similarities within these two teams. Steelers look like a younger little brother on paper. I think Kenny can exploit their secondary and the defense should be able to keep their offense honest. Which should equal a close matchup, last minute nail biting down to the wire outcome.

You know the usual Steelers approach to playing football.

Highsmith will have it rough going against their stud T. But TJ and Heyward should be able to pressure and do it well. They will need to as 49ers have an elite set of skill position players. If you give that offense time they will carve up a secondary that will need time to mesh well. One good thing is Purdy isn't an elite deep ball QB so the safeties can cheat in a little closer. Steelers have some blitz capable secondary players. I would mix that in to bring an extra element of pressure to help slow their offense.

On defense the 49ers have one of the leagues best run defenses. Steelers will have to run efficiently to keep their Bosa and Hargrave pass rush from teeing off. I would max protect towards Bosa when he is in and switch towards Hargrave when he isn't.

That Kit cat probably will play and slowing Debbo and him will be a key into keeping it a close game. That is where I would cheat my coverage capable safeties.

McCaffrey is one of the best receiving backs. The Steelers should bring a heavier snap count of their coverage capable inside linebackers to cover for that capable element.

I don't think this is the game to test the longer passing game in regards to how far it has developed in preseason. You want Kenny rolling out when needed to keep the chains moving. If anything this is the game for him to show his improved accuracy. Keep hitting those intermediate throws and make use of Najee and Warren's pass capable.

A lot of similarities within these two teams. Steelers look like a younger little brother on paper. I think Kenny can exploit their secondary and the defense should be able to keep their offense honest. Which should equal a close matchup, last minute nail biting down to the wire outcome.

Yeah, at least to date Purdy is mostly just really good at the zero net type passes… slants and screens and other easy throws that we mostly shy away from.
Hopefully the safeties on their end are as banged up as they look and We get some guys free

Yeah, at least to date Purdy is mostly just really good at the zero net type passes… slants and screens and other easy throws that we mostly shy away from.
Hopefully the safeties on their end are as banged up as they look and We get some guys free
Yeah they are great YAC capable. Tackling well will be at a premium. Pickens is supposed route improved and DJ can get open with the best of them. Their safeties banged up or not they need to get open.

This matchup will coincide with Coolie’s perceived heart attach, similar to Fred G. Sanford……………..

Salute the nation

… in what world is a .700 winning percentage not good? Most coaches are no where near that on opening day… and I was not just talking about opening days either…
There are 5 scenarios where a team can plays with greater than the standard 7 days between games …
-The opening game, where Tomlin is 10-5-1
-The week after the Bye, Where Tomlin is 12-4
-The ten day break after a thursday night game, where I believe Tomlin is 12-5,
-the week following a Saturday game, where Tomlin is 2-0…
-and of course, Monday night games… where Tomlin is 19-3

a couple of these could be redundant like a Monday night after a bye week or Thursday night game but it would probably only be a couple games if that…

The overall record is 55-17-1… a .760 record assuming no doubles…

No agendas… just basic hard facts… Mike Tomlin’s teams, given extra time to prepare a gameplan, are Excellent… and he has clearly improved as the years went on too…

Now one of the knocks on him is that once he has his gameplan and contingency plans, he doesn’t deviate from them when a team is doing something totally counter to what they thought until it is often too late… but that isn’t often the case when he has extra planning time… my guess is that they cover more bases there and are already ready for most changeups…

Anyone not knowing this was Tomlins record would assume that this coach has had more than 3 playoff wins since 2013.

Anyone not knowing this was Tomlins record would assume that this coach had also compiled an impressive amount of playoff appearances.
Not when you realize many of these teams overperformed in the regular season. At least in my opinion. Depth killed us by the time we get to the playoffs fighting and scratching we were too banged up. Hopefully that changes this year with better depth.