• Please be aware we've switched the forums to their own URL. (again) You'll find the new website address to be www.steelernationforum.com Thanks
  • Please clear your private messages. Your inbox is close to being full.

All religion is based on man's doctrines...

Sluzilla

Registered
Reaction score
no matter which religion you choose to look at...they are all boiled down to the teachings of man...and the beliefs of man...and man's interpretations of other men's writings...

The Bible may, indeed does, contain a warrant for trafficking in humans, for ethnic cleansing, for slavery, for bride-price, and for indiscriminate massacre, but we are not bound by any of it because it was put together by crude, uncultured human mammals. Hitch

Liberals don't need no stinkin' books - the god king himself will tell them everything they need to know

KingPutt.jpg

That is why ALL RELIGION should be outlawed. Feel free to believe what you want, just keep it to yourself.

That is why ALL RELIGION should be outlawed. Feel free to believe what you want, just keep it to yourself.

Ah yes... Amendment 1.5...freedom FROM religion...

...don't want to hear about something that might make me reevaluate my life choices...so I just want it outlawed

no matter which religion you choose to look at...they are all boiled down to the teachings of man...and the beliefs of man...and man's interpretations of other men's writings...

Everything boils down to man's interpretation of things studied and written about by men. Not just religion. I mean you can say the sky is blue and that may be a fact, but what is blue? Who decided that's the name of that particular hue? Some human. What are love, trust, honesty, courage, work ethic if not values invented by men. The question is why? Religious people believe men's teachings and beliefs are guided by the hand of a supreme being, or beings, of some sort. I guess non-religious people believe these all developed randomly or out of self-preservation or something...no proof that either party is right or wrong.

Everything boils down to man's interpretation of things studied and written about by men. Not just religion. I mean you can say the sky is blue and that may be a fact, but what is blue? Who decided that's the name of that particular hue? Some human.

exactly my point...the god of each religion was named and created by some human...arguably a human with aspirations to power...though if not...at the least a human with aspirations to change the world he lives in...but ultimately...still a human...with all that entails...

What are love, trust, honesty, courage, work ethic if not values invented by men. The question is why?

this sparks another question...as society changes so does the values within that society...and vice versa...so were values created for society...or was society created by values...

Religious people believe men's teachings and beliefs are guided by the hand of a supreme being, or beings, of some sort.

wouldn't it be easier and more effective for a supreme being / beings to teach religious people themselves...instead of relying on such an imperfect and egotistical vessel to relay that information for them?...especially seeing as for most religions they once did just that?...

I guess non-religious people believe these all developed randomly or out of self-preservation or something...no proof that either party is right or wrong.

a child is born...a mother loves...
a mother holds out her arms...a child trusts...
a mother asks...a child answers truthfully...
a child is in danger...a mother shows courage...
a mother raises her child with great work ethic...

these are not values that have been learned from a higher being...these are innate to humanity...

hate...mistrust...lies...cowardice...laziness...these could be argued to be "values" that are learned...

..no proof that either party is right or wrong.
That's true if you're arguing a deist view of some higher power. There is plenty of proof that the specific stories in the various scriptures didn't happen and that the writers didn't have a basic understanding of the world or the cosmos.

Man's beliefs keep evolving as time goes by. That is why there is turmoil in the Middle East and amongst the far right in the USA.
What much of the world believes is in conflict with some of their religious beliefs. The world consensus beliefs always win out in the end.

these are not values that have been learned from a higher being...these are innate to humanity...

QUOTE]

Uh, no, these are not "values" innate to humanity, there are vicious, evil people who have some pretty awful things to their kids.

Moral authority comes from a higher power, not man.

QUOTE]

Uh, no, these are not "values" innate to humanity, there are vicious, evil people who have some pretty awful things to their kids.

Moral authority comes from a higher power, not man.

no...they are completely innate to humanity...

the viciousness and evil you speak of is learned...(unless there's some mental disease)...kids are not born evil...therefore adults cannot be evil without outside influence...

i've seen the evil that people can do to kids...way more than most people have...

which moral authority do you speak of?...the one from 50 years ago where it was ok for a 30 year old to marry a 14 year old?...or the moral authority of today where it's not ok?...or the moral authority of 100 years ago where it was ok to own other humans?...or the one from biblical times where it was ok to have your child stoned to death for disobedience?...

one would think if moral authority came from a higher power...it wouldn't be influenced by societal changes...

Oh my word, God is soooo mean! He makes us die n stuff!!

Why do heathens feel so compelled to comment on religion? Shut the **** up and go to hell.

Why do heathens feel so compelled to comment on religion? Shut the **** up and go to hell.

I think it's because people who are willing to suspend rational thought and follow a sky dictator are dangerous and can be made to commit atrocities.

I think it's because people who are willing to suspend rational thought and follow a sky dictator are dangerous and can be made to commit atrocities.

Well then you should be worried about Islam, not religion in general.

Well then you should be worried about Islam, not religion in general.

Italy does not legally recognize Islam as a religion. I love my heritage.

True, I don't get why something they don't believe in anyway bothers them so much. I don't spend much time thinking about the Easter Bunny.

Because people believing in "a man in the sky" perturbs the **** out of them. They cant stand it.

Also, they feel threatened because there can't be no higher power than government...or Obama.

Last edited:
True, I don't get why something they don't believe in anyway bothers them so much. I don't spend much time thinking about the Easter Bunny.

I don't get the inconsistency... those that want to believe in a higher power doesn't affect their life...the same liberal ***** that will tell you gay marriage doesn't affect your life.

Well, I do get the inconsistency...they're liberals.

Inspired by what?

The first step for those who want to strip people of individual rights, has historically been to try and abolish religion, and with it the idea that individual humans have inherent value beyond being human livestock in service of the government.

If this is sarcasm, forgive me...

If this is for real, it's one of the greatest posts in the history of the internets.

Knowing Charles, I'd say it's a pretty safe bet that it's for real.

If I can't discuss religion with non-believers, it shows a lack of faith I think.

An insistence on "everything I believe is right and I am not open to questioning it" doesn't sit right with me. Many people take a very black and white view of this subject and there is plenty of gray.

I don't like or agree with lots of things that have occurred inside the Catholic church, and I don't necessarily believe it or anything else is the One True Religion...it's closest to what I believe. It's helped give me and my husband and children a structured means of doing good, and helped impart a strong moral compass. My parish is a community that does a lot of good for a lot of people, that is committed to loving and caring for others...even those some might consider "sinners'...homeless drug addicts, AIDS patients, unwed mothers and abortion survivors. We run a free breakfast and preschool program for poor immigrant children and their parents. We collect food and other items for food cupboards and shelters. We collect and deliver thousands of Christmas gifts and winter coats for poor children.

Maybe some really want to try and convince me that's a bad thing...that what I and many others are doing is a serious danger to their existence. Good luck with that.