• Please be aware we've switched the forums to their own URL. (again) You'll find the new website address to be www.steelernationforum.com Thanks
  • Please clear your private messages. Your inbox is close to being full.

Allegedly, Picket Refused to Back Up Rudolph

As somebody pointed out earlier, there is a REAL contingent of folks who are rabid Pickett fans (likely college fans who have carried forward to the Steelers) who cannot tolerate any Pickett criticism.

It's kinda fascinating. I know, I have gone through the same thing, hoping against hope that Kordell would have a great game, only to see a 150 yard effort with as much chance of an int as a TD. (Seems familiar?). And more recently I really really hoped for James Washington to have stellar games. I get it.

But try not to turn like a rabid fan on another fan who doesn't share your subjective loyalty

As somebody pointed out earlier, there is a REAL contingent of folks who are rabid Pickett fans (likely college fans who have carried forward to the Steelers) who cannot tolerate any Pickett criticism.

It's kinda fascinating. I know, I have gone through the same thing, hoping against hope that Kordell would have a great game, only to see a 150 yard effort with as much chance of an int as a TD. (Seems familiar?). And more recently I really really hoped for James Washington to have stellar games. I get it.

But try not to turn like a rabid fan on another fan who doesn't share your subjective loyalty
A segment are Pitt fans, but I think most are fans who want Steelers first-round picks to be great no matter what. We've seen similar types of defense for Najee's play as well. There's a lot of vocal fans who go all in on guys they want to be good even if they aren't productive and I think many of these fans don't know what it's like to have the Steelers be serious contenders.

I also see so many that have been ready to cut ties with him since almost the beginning that there are clearly a bunch of Penn State fans that would rather he fail. I graduated from UK, so I didn't go to Pitt or Penn St.

UM (Montana) here.
I have no collegiate bias.

I'm not a KP fan but it's ridiculous to say he can't have a great camp and stellar season in 24. He certainly can

Why doesn't he get 3 or 4 seasons to prove it? Whether we like it he will get 2 more years if next season isn't a disaster
Ya don’t get to suck for 5 years as a starter

He either wins the job next year, possible or will be gone shortly after

Lenny is not a guy the Steelers wait 5 years for to have 1 good year…this ain’t college

A segment are Pitt fans, but I think most are fans who want Steelers first-round picks to be great no matter what. We've seen similar types of defense for Najee's play as well. There's a lot of vocal fans who go all in on guys they want to be good even if they aren't productive and I think many of these fans don't know what it's like to have the Steelers be serious contenders.
Most of that "similar types of defense for Najee's play" was about the OL not blocking with multiple backfield hits per game. That has changed recently and 22 looks like a 1st round hit for the last couple games.

I don't care Kenny is from Pitt and I barely watch college football, but I think he has shown enough to not be constantly bashed by "fans." People seem to forget how much pressure Kenny was under right after taking snaps and the same goes for Najee. The line plays better, the QB plays better,and the RBs play better. Cinci and Seattle generated very little penetration which allowed the RBs to go off and gave Mason enough time to find guys. I certainly do not think Najee is a bust, but you can argue whether or not he is a first round RB. Personally I think he is borderline. He has shown what he can do given a little space and momentum. We did not have that early in the year. As for Kenny he did well in the end of games this year and last year, and he was pretty much perfect in the pre-season. He has shown some talent is there but due to poor line play / scheme etc etc it is hard to say how much. I dont know if Kenny is the long term answer or not, but I think he was doing what he was being told / coached to do. He needs some more freedom in the offense along w/ better coaching and line play to see what he can do.

Is there a Penn State vs Pitt thing going on ? I see Kenny hate all over twitter as well and it's odd. They aren't going to move away from a guy so fast that they drafted so highly that can make all the throws UNLESS he was a turnover machine, which he absolutely is not. Cheering for him as it would be much easier to build around him than go searching again.
PSU fan here I am ok with Kenny if we draft well and get a real system. I am ok with Mason as well. I like them both and have defended Mason for two years with much ridicule.

I don't care where a guy played at College, once they are drafted by the Steelers, they are a Steeler, having said that, Kenny is a career back up at best.

KP8 wasn’t showing much and got injured.

Mason came in and showed what poise and an arm can do to a defense. He is playing out the season and I wish him the best of luck in doing so.

STEELERS need to strongly look at QBs in this up-coming draft. There is some serious talent.

Salute the nation

If true and I say if true. Kenny shows himself not being much of a team player. When he started Mitch and Rudy where on the sidelines trying to help Kenny see the field. Next year will tell a lot about Kenny, this season is over, we witnessed a lot of controversy. Tomlin if this is true does not help anything when he comments ask Kenny.

Cornell Grad here- which means I watch almost no college ball nor have any allegiance to any big program.

My problem with KP8, outside the constant 3 and outs, is the lack of upside and a lower than expected floor.
  • I could stomach his subpar accuracy if he had a rocket of an arm.
  • I could live with his pocket jitters if he was an athletic specimen who could turn the corner.
  • I could 'tolerate' his locking in to one target if it resulted in more than 1TD a game.

Cornell Grad here- which means I watch almost no college ball nor have any allegiance to any big program.

My problem with KP8, outside the constant 3 and outs, is the lack of upside and a lower than expected floor.
  • I could stomach his subpar accuracy if he had a rocket of an arm.
  • I could live with his pocket jitters if he was an athletic specimen who could turn the corner.
  • I could 'tolerate' his locking in to one target if it resulted in more than 1TD a game.
He wasn’t any of those until the offense ruined him. All of yinz saying he is only a backup are not giving him enough credit for keeping us alive and winning games while running the disaster that was Canadas offense. Sure Mason looks better but so did Kenny after Canada was jettisoned. Each week the OC team should be making more changes incrementally. Stop trying to judge him based on the past and let’s see what happens with an improved system next year.

Last edited:
He wasn’t any of those until the offense ruined him. All of yinz saying he is only a backup are not giving him enough credit for keeping us alive and winning games while running the disaster that was Canadas offense. Sure Mason looks better but so do Kenny after Canada was jettisoned. Each week the OC team should be making more changes incrementally. Stop trying to judge him based on the past and let’s see what happens with an improved system next year.
We need to stop blaming Canada for everything, Pickett misses wide open guys, he tries to spin out of the pocket at the slightest sight of pressure, rarely steps up in the pocket.

I’m not yet throwing the towel in on Kenny. I want to see him next season with a new OC.
He’s definitely got things to clean-up that’s for sure but I think he deserves that chance next season.
If he continues to display the same things we saw in 23 then the organization will definitely have their answer on Kenny but he deserves a chance next season.
And if you think the organization is moving on from him this off season you’re only kidding yourself.
They won’t throw him away that quickly because that’s not what they do.

Anybody saying he'll NEVER be any good immediately discounts themself
Or they just know what they are watching. Name 1 talking head or credible football analyst who thinks Pickett is the long term answer?
The Steelers organization just showed the world how much faith in Pickett they have when Tomlin announced Mason the starter over a healthy Kenny for the foreseeable future.
They don't believe either. Obviously

KP8 has the off season and training camp to make believers of him. Training Camp should be an open competition as it should be.

Unfortunately for Kenny Pickett, Mitch T. Didn’t bridge the gap for the young rookie. Kenny got thrown in and the rest is history. As for the OC, hell yess he sucked but that was also a product of Coach Tomlin’s doing.

Mason went through the same process of the O’Canada affect, but with way fewer actual quality snaps. If Mason is here next season, he gets same treatment, a whole off season and training camp to prove himself.

Bite the bullet now, in this upcoming draft as there is deep talent within, or limp by to see if either Kenny or Mason are quality enough to get you where you want to go. A lot rides on this decision and generation talent careers are in that mix.

Salute the nation

Wow my Iphone just posted total gibberish...
... just like I usually do 🤣

It was something about “More Mason” of sorts, kind of like cherry cream pie but holed the cherries and the cream———-

Salute the nation

I don't care Kenny is from Pitt and I barely watch college football, but I think he has shown enough to not be constantly bashed by "fans." People seem to forget how much pressure Kenny was under right after taking snaps and the same goes for Najee. The line plays better, the QB plays better,and the RBs play better. Cinci and Seattle generated very little penetration which allowed the RBs to go off and gave Mason enough time to find guys. I certainly do not think Najee is a bust, but you can argue whether or not he is a first round RB. Personally I think he is borderline. He has shown what he can do given a little space and momentum. We did not have that early in the year. As for Kenny he did well in the end of games this year and last year, and he was pretty much perfect in the pre-season. He has shown some talent is there but due to poor line play / scheme etc etc it is hard to say how much. I dont know if Kenny is the long term answer or not, but I think he was doing what he was being told / coached to do. He needs some more freedom in the offense along w/ better coaching and line play to see what he can do.
You can’t judge any of our QB’s until we get a decent OC and QB coach. Most of KP’s shortcomings can be overcome with proper coaching.

I see names like Josh Allen, Trevor Lawrence, Jalen Hurts, etc. thrown out when it comes to Kenny Pickett's development. I've used them myself, particularly Jalen Hurts. But those guys showed progress in year 2. For instance, Hurts threw for 6 TDs and 4 INTs as a rookie and improved his completion % while throwing for 16 TDs and 9 INTs in year 2. I'd be thrilled if Pickett had those types of numbers.

Looking at some other recently drafted QBs, after two seasons Pickett is trending more towards Zach Wilson and Justin Fields than Trevor Lawrence or Jalen Hurts. If you give him a third year, what type of jump does he have to make to think he's the long-term answer?

Kenny Pickett
YearCompletion %YardsTDsINTsRating

Jalen Hurts

Trevor Lawrence

Justin Fields

Zach Wilson

I don't care where a guy played at College, once they are drafted by the Steelers, they are a Steeler, having said that, Kenny is a career back up at best.
Still holding out hope that with a good QB coach and an innovative OC, he will develop, and realizing that those new coaches are a pipe dream.

Why, when he SO deserve to have fingers pointed at him, or did you not notice his legendary lack of production? FAR worse than the excuses can explain away. FAR worse.

"THE most popular person on every football team is the back-up quarterback."

Or they just know what they are watching. Name 1 talking head or credible football analyst who thinks Pickett is the long term answer?
The Steelers organization just showed the world how much faith in Pickett they have when Tomlin announced Mason the starter over a healthy Kenny for the foreseeable future.
They don't believe either. Obviously

Hmmmm. Just one? Terry Bradshaw. Heard of him? He's got alot more knowledge than a football analyst or a "talking head". smh

Case closed.