• Please be aware we've switched the forums to their own URL. (again) You'll find the new website address to be www.steelernationforum.com Thanks
  • Please clear your private messages. Your inbox is close to being full.

Andy Russell has passed.

slashsteel

Thank you for everything Franco, R I P.
Contributor
Reaction score
RIP Andy...

Good ole 34.

Some interesting tidbits about Mr. Russell

• Was a Lieutenant in the Army in the 60's
  • Started his own Wall St investment firm in 1969.
  • Never missed a game in high school, college, or pro's
  • Played in 6 consecutive Pro Bowls.
  • Had one of the best "staches" in NFL history!

One of the most underrated an under appreciated players in NFl history.

Last edited:
Really sad. I had the occasion to meet his a few times when I was involved with the Steel City Mafia. Always very welcoming and approachable.

RIP #34

Sorry to hear that.

Oh no! Man I’m really sorry to hear this.
Loved watching Andy play in the 60’s when there wasn’t much to get excited about with the Steelers. Was happy to see him enjoy team success in the early 70’s under the Emperor Noll.
Great linebacker who was a real tactician at the position and should be in the HOF.
RIP Andy! You did it better than most and you are a Steeler legend and icon.

So sad to see the 70s dynasty team passing. When Chuck Noll was handing out pink slips when he took over he kept Andy Russell for a very good reason. Have always thought Andy belongs in the NFL HoF. RIP Andy. You were a truly great member of a great team who gave us Steelers Nation fans a decade of greatness.

Really sad. I had the occasion to meet his a few times when I was involved with the Steel City Mafia. Always very welcoming and approachable.

RIP #34
It has to be 30+ years ago, but I sat next to him on a USAir flight from Pgh to Phx, and I agree, he was very open to conversation on the flight.

Sad time. RIP 34