• Please be aware we've switched the forums to their own URL. (again) You'll find the new website address to be www.steelernationforum.com Thanks
  • Please clear your private messages. Your inbox is close to being full.

Attending Steelers/Patriots Thursday Night Game

newportsteel

Forefather
Reaction score
I have been a Steelers fan since 1974 and have seen them twice. The first time was in the Astrodome in 1996 for the Oilers last year in Houston and in Tennessee in 2010 with the great Troy P. leap over the line.

In December we will be coming to Pittsburgh for the Steelers/Patriots game on Thursday night. We have tickets and travel arranged and so we are on go and are just looking for any advice on where to go, what to do, stadium tips and how to dress for a night game on December 7th!

This is one of my major bucket list items and we are pumped so any advice would be greatly appreciated!

Bring enough to dress in layers if need be. Depending on the temperature but make sure you have a heavy jacket and some warm capable clothes. I believe the clear bag is the only bag you are still allowed to bring in. Others can confirm or deny. As far as what to do it depends on your likes and time you will spend in the burgh. But make your way to the strip if you get a chance, Mount Washington if you want to see the incline plus a nice overlook view of the stadium- downtown Pittsburgh , and there is a ton of good eats again depending on your likes.

Good advice from slash.

The clear bag policy is still in effect. If it's cold, make sure your feet, hands, and head stay warm. Layer up and don't worry about looking good. Hand and foot warmers are difference makers, especially with the concrete ground inside the stadium.

Definitely go to the Strip. A lot of restaurants and if you have time, check out the History Center and Sports Museum...it's my favorite museum in Pittsburgh. The city is going to be decorated for Christmas, so check out Market Square and PPG place (outdoor ice rink here as well). There's also the Horne's Christmas tree near Fifth Avenue Place.

Bring enough to dress in layers if need be. Depending on the temperature but make sure you have a heavy jacket and some warm capable clothes. I believe the clear bag is the only bag you are still allowed to bring in. Others can confirm or deny. As far as what to do it depends on your likes and time you will spend in the burgh. But make your way to the strip if you get a chance, Mount Washington if you want to see the incline plus nice view, and there is a ton of good eats again depe
Good advice from slash.

The clear bag policy is still in effect. If it's cold, make sure your feet, hands, and head stay warm. Layer up and don't worry about looking good. Hand and foot warmers are difference makers, especially with the concrete ground inside the stadium.

Definitely go to the Strip. A lot of restaurants and if you have time, check out the History Center and Sports Museum...it's my favorite museum in Pittsburgh. The city is going to be decorated for Christmas, so check out Market Square and PPG place (outdoor ice rink here as well). There's also the Horne's Christmas tree near Fifth Avenue Place.
Always worth a look especially if you haven't seen it.That little Christmas village might be there too with the different craft booths. I will have to check the dates. Regardless nice views there for Xmas definitely.

"The holiday market ( Christmas village)usually opens on Friday after Thanksgiving and is over by Christmas Eve"

So it definitely should be open when you are there at market square. I got a few things from there last December including a Steeler stacking Matryoshka doll. It had Bradshaw, Lambert,etc.

Usually get a German advent calendar there too.

Just remember, that game is eligible to be flexed to Sunday, but I only see that happening if both teams suck…and I only expect the *Pats to suck.
Yeah good point they should plan there trip if they can to include Sunday just in case.

Just remember, that game is eligible to be flexed to Sunday, but I only see that happening if both teams suck…and I only expect the *Pats to suck.

AMEN

Salute the nation

Kelly O's in the Strip District is a must do for me for breakfast. Also Yinzers in the Burgh is a great place to get some official and not so official merch. If you want a "good" dive bar Lefty's in the the strip is an interesting place. The clientele will vary a lot but everyone has also been friendly.

I will be at the Titans game with my wife. Right now we have one extra ticket if anyone wants to meet us at the Titans game, will charge face value. Would love to meet some more of Yinz.
Also I am bringing my baby brother to the Cardinals game. He hasn't been to a game in the Burgh since 1995 when we lost to the Vikings in the photogate game. We are going to the Pens game the night before but he doesn't know that yet.

i would imagine all the Christmas stuff should be in play by December 7th. If you visit Market square around lunch hour, try the Oyster Bar for a fried fish sandwich and a cold beer. Iconic joint with some great photos on the wall.

If you're into Italian, Di'Anoia's at the end of the strip 2549 Penn Ave. Has great traditional Italian. If you go there for lunch, you order from the counter. The sausage and peppers, meatball or porchetta paninis are all good. They bake pastries across the street and their selection at the counter is must indulgence. Also serve pizza next door. Dinner is traditional sit down, casio e pepe, gnocchi in bread bowl etc. Is fantastic. Try the bread and ricotta for the table.

Dish Osteria on the south side is more southern Mediterranean Italian, reservations are a must starting 30 days out. Great food and atmosphere, cool bar as well. Both places reasonably priced.

Max's Allegheny Tavern on north side, great sandwiches, german food and the bar is a nice place to stop in for a drink.

Going to try Fig and Ash in early October when visiting family and ravens game. 8 minute drve from stadium. More upscale eatery but good reviews. Not sure if it's open Sundays but definitely Thursday.

If family is interested in Andy Warhol, his museum is clise to stadium. I second previous recommendation for Heinz History museum near strip district. Carnegie History and Art Museum in Oakland district a top notch national museum.The restaurant inside the museum is supposed to be a good call for lunch.