• Please be aware we've switched the forums to their own URL. (again) You'll find the new website address to be www.steelernationforum.com Thanks
  • Please clear your private messages. Your inbox is close to being full.

Biles bails on her teammates

I'm not sure how I feel about Biles competing in the Balancing Beam. Seems if she dropped out, she should be out. Did she magically overcome whatever overwhelming burden she was dealing with last week? Too bad the beam wasn't an earlier event and she could have fallen apart for that and returned for the team event.

Maybe she had to step away from a high pressure situation and get out of the spotlight for a few days because it got to be too much. I think if she qualified to be in an event, there's no reason why she can't come back and participate in it.

While I'm not impressed that she stepped back from the team event, if it's true that she was basically sucking *** and ultimately decided to step down so one of her teammates could potentially perform better than her... Well. Ok. But again, if she was doing so badly, why put her on the team in the first place. (I mean, we know the answer. She's Simone ******* Biles. Of COURSE she can be on the team if she wants. It's just too bad she didn't decide to pull herself earlier and let somebody else represent who was capable.

At any rate, if she was practicing so badly the she realized her **** performance would actually DROP the team, then... Great. Thanks for not screwing the team even more.

Trust me if Michael Jordan had been in a shooting slump for 3 weeks before the Dream Team played in the Olympics, you can bet your *** he would have still been out there on the court come game time. Being the best at something earns you some cache even when you are struggling.

She got what gymnasts call "twistees", meaning when she was in the air she loses the sense of where she is. If you have ever experienced bed spins, you might understand.
Not sure it would be wise to drive a car when experiencing bed spins and not wise to continue gymnastics when this happens.

She got what gymnasts call "twistees", meaning when she was in the air she loses the sense of where she is. If you have ever experienced bed spins, you might understand.
Not sure it would be wise to drive a car when experiencing bed spins and not wise to continue gymnastics when this happens.
The same thing happens when Flog does math.

You should write a book about it. Speaking of, how's your other one coming along?

I have not watched any of the Olympics and don't know any details about what's going on with this "kid", but it's just unfortunate. If she's having physiological issues, we all know it happens as we age, I'd rather see her step aside than permanently injure herself.

That "Rocky" moment we think will rise to the surface doesn't always happen unless it's on a movie set.

She was one hell of a competitor and champion in her day & she represented the Red White and Blue extremely well, but time is a ***** and always wins in the end.

It's true. I have no interest in watching her get injured and I have no particular beef with Ms. Biles. As I said, if she determined that she really was performing badly and that continuing in the team event would likely LOWER their chances of getting a medal, I can appreciate that. She is, after all, basically a machine that has been honed and trained her entire life and to feel as though she had to step away from a moment as big as that was probably contrary to her very nature.

However, it does offer us a great opportunity to reminisce when Carrie Strugg nailed a vault after hurting herself earlier in the competition.

Or when the great one needed to nail a perfect 10 to win gold. And so she did. Twice in a row.

They gave her her drugs back and she’s all better now. Seems like an unfair advantage to me being allowed to take amphetamines

While I'm not impressed that she stepped back from the team event, if it's true that she was basically sucking *** and ultimately decided to step down so one of her teammates could potentially perform better than her... Well. Ok. But again, if she was doing so badly, why put her on the team in the first place. (I mean, we know the answer. She's Simone ******* Biles. Of COURSE she can be on the team if she wants. It's just too bad she didn't decide to pull herself earlier and let somebody else represent who was capable.

At any rate, if she was practicing so badly the she realized her **** performance would actually DROP the team, then... Great. Thanks for not screwing the team even more.
That's basically how I feel about it. Bad timing and a bad look but last Friday the morning news had video of her flopping all her landings in practice. I'm thinking she figured the team would do better without her.

However, it does offer us a great opportunity to reminisce when Carrie Strugg nailed a vault after hurting herself earlier in the competition.

She had to retire shortly after that too, her leg was never the same.

They gave her her drugs back and she’s all better now. Seems like an unfair advantage to me being allowed to take amphetamines

Wait, what? I'm not necessarily discarding what you're saying, but link or some context here please?

She had to retire shortly after that too, her leg was never the same.
Also, the vault wasn't even needed for the gold at that point either.

The Russians were in 2nd place, but were on floor exercises and had a very slight chance of overtaking the US team if they placed some ridiculously high scores. That is what prompted them saying that in order to 100% secure gold that Dominique Mocineau had to hit a 9.4 on her vault. Of course she fell on both vaults, which brought up Kerri Strug. She falls on her first vault and hurts her ankle.........Russians are done on floor and they did not overtake 1st place. Bela Karolyi urges Kerri to vault again, on a hurt ankle......she does, and lands the vault.........but again, they didn't need her vault to keep gold at that point. She is now badly hurt and has to be assisted out. She doesn't compete again.

Nobody's arguing that Bela wasn't an ******* what could hold a grudge.

Ok, so in an attempt to be a rationale, informed adult I spoke with a friend of mine who was a college gymnast. She told me that Biles removing herself from the team competition had no adverse effect on the team other than causing another teammate, who may not be as good at a given event to step up and perform in an event in Biles' place.

So ultimately, she didn't hurt her team terribly and if she was performing like ****, she did indeed help them by stepping down. Some of you may have already understood this, I did not and got clarification.

Ok, so in an attempt to be a rationale, informed adult I spoke with a friend of mine who was a college gymnast. She told me that Biles removing herself from the team competition had no adverse effect on the team other than causing another teammate, who may not be as good at a given event to step up and perform in an event in Biles' place.

So ultimately, she didn't hurt her team terribly and if she was performing like ****, she did indeed help them by stepping down. Some of you may have already understood this, I did not and got clarification.
Like I said, bad timing and a bad look but obviously she thought the team would do better without her so there you go.

Gee Wig, so you got all the facts from those a little more in the know and came to an level-headed determination that your initial thoughts may have been a bit of rushing to judgment? Oh my god, how dare you act rational & practical like that! We won't have that around here.

Gee Wig, so you got all the facts from those a little more in the know and came to an level-headed determination that your initial thoughts may have been a bit of rushing to judgment? Oh my god, how dare you act rational & practical like that! We won't have that around here.
TRUMP!!!