• Please be aware we've switched the forums to their own URL. (again) You'll find the new website address to be www.steelernationforum.com Thanks
  • Please clear your private messages. Your inbox is close to being full.

Bradshaw- Give me Ben

Steelerfan81

HERE WE GO
Forefather
Admin
Contributor
Reaction score
Terry Bradshaw thinks Ben Roethlisberger is best QB http://es.pn/2c9YLfx
via @ESPN App http://es.pn/app

Can't copy the link from the app. Hopefully the link works for everyone.

But my have times changed. Terry couldn't stand to even talk about Ben in the early years.

Bradshaw had some seasoning to do himself as I remember correctly.

Glad we have Ben. Glad we had Bradshaw. It's not a coincidence, those 6 rings...

I Ben would've been a lineman in Bradshaws day.

http://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/17476613/terry-bradshaw-says-ben-roethlisberger-best-qb-nfl

Terry Bradshaw thinks Ben Roethlisberger is best QB
9:34 AM CT

Jeremy FowlerESPN Staff Writer

PITTSBURGH -- Terry Bradshaw's opinion of NFL quarterbacks will be felt in New England and Green Bay.

Bradshaw calls Pittsburgh Steelers quarterback Ben Roethlisberger the league's best passer in an interview with Steelers.com this week. Bradshaw is a Fox NFL Sunday analyst and four-time Super Bowl winner as the Steelers quarterback from 1970 to '83.

"I would rate Ben right on top of the list, ahead of [Tom] Brady for sure and anybody else, [Philip] Rivers, Eli [Manning]," Bradshaw told the website. "He is big, strong and poised."

I don't think you can objectively look at Ben's numbers and accomplishments and NOT put him easily in the top 4.

And I would say Brady should NOT be in the top 4 because you can't honestly say what he's accomplished without the aid of Spygate and the various cheating techniques that the Patriots employ. Like it or not, that's the legacy that ALL the Patriot players are left with. They will always have a question mark or an asterisk if you will because of the cheating scandals that have plagued their team. You simply cannot separate their statistical and "trophy" championships from the cheating scandals.

Thus, you have to put Ben in the company with Rodgers, Manning, Manning and Brees. At least in terms of his contemporaries.

Peyton Manning is an amazing regular season QB but his post season success has always been handed to him by his defenses.

Eli has actually WON his playoff games and Super Bowls by himself.

Rodgers is a great (if not superb) and consistent QB.

Brees is alot like Ben. He's just a long term consistent and frankly stellar performer.

Bradshaw might be right. Peyton retired, Brady an old cup of New England Chowder. While Rodgers is very good too, you can argue Ben is #1.

There was a bit of a Bradshaw vs Ben feud. Terry once said on the air, Ben doesn't like me.

I'd say Ben Brady and Rodgers are all a good choice.

Coming from BRADSHAW, regardless of how he got to this point, is GREAT praise. We all know BEN is a great QB, just having one of the best QBs ever to confirm it, makes it all the sweeter.

Salute the nation

Honestly, if you simply look at the statistical compilations, Ben is easily among the top 5 QBs right now. We're talking TDs, completion percentage, YPP, QB rating. All of it. And that's just his contemporaries. Statistically Ben is actually in some categories among the best ever to play the game. He's not the top QB across all categories by any stretch of the imagination, but he's ridiculous in YPC (Catch). Ben throws the long ball with more regularity and completes it better than ANY of his contemporaries.

Brady may be "accurate on the deep ball, but he throws deep MUCH less regularly than Ben. (And by "deep" I mean 15 to 20 yard passes). Brady's completion % is better, but he throws (literally) 3 and 4 yard passes a large chunk of the time. Ben more often throws 10 to 25 yard passes. And completes them nearly as often as Brady's long handoffs. There simply is no comparison.

And if you were to factor in intangibles on top of the standard statistical factors. You'd have things like John Elway's "helicoptor for first down" which helped will his team to a Superbowl victory. No QB in the modern era has shown the Tarkenton-like ability to avoid pressure in the pocket along with the sheer toughness of Steve McNair to take a hit and shrug it off while extending a play for a huge gain downfield. Admittedly this is actually both a strength and hindrance to Ben's game, but it forces teams to play him differently because the defense has to both collapse the pocket AND contain the scramble AND maintain coverage on receivers downfield. There's nobody like that in the entire modern history of the game. And you'd probably have to look pretty far back to find a reasonable comparison in the golden age who had the accuracy and the vision that Roethlisberger has developed as he's matured.

No. He's definitely among the best in the league and one can easily argue he's among the best who's ever played.