• Please be aware we've switched the forums to their own URL. (again) You'll find the new website address to be www.steelernationforum.com Thanks
  • Please clear your private messages. Your inbox is close to being full.

C Brian Allen cut by LA

I would bring him in for a visit.

Why do we need to sign a vet if we have Herbig? We need a starter.
With what has happened at the C position since Pouncey retired, I would say we absolutely need someone who can capably play the position from day 1 this season. I don't think that's Herbig and there's no guarantee a draft pick can do it.

I'd say we need a vet.

Why do we need to sign a vet if we have Herbig? We need a starter.
Herbig has about 75 career snaps at C. At least that was what I read. If you sign someone like Allen, you can wait in the draft and get Limmer from Arkansas, Putnam from Clemson, Bortilini from Whisky, or McCormick from South Dakota State. All of these guys will need time to develop. on Van Pran, JPJ, and Frazier would be plug-and-play.

Meh if we go into the year with a rookie and herbig we will be ok... remember, we paid Herbig big money for his ability to play all three iol spots... and there is a lot of smoke around Spenser Anderson getting a real look at Rt or C this year.. they like him a lot
Where have you seen the smoke? None of the Steelers analysts I follow have even considered or reported this. I'd love to check out any recent articles, Anderson is a solid athlete.

I have to think they draft the center from WVU Frazer in the second round.
Either the OT from UGA in first round or a receiver.
Herbig is your backup.
The kid from WVU is a really good center and would help us big time on this OL.
I have a feeling their plan is to move Dan Moore to RT and slide Broderick to his natural LT.
They like that receiver I think his name is Rome Odunze from Washington and wouldn’t be surprised off they try and move some to get him.

Where have you seen the smoke? None of the Steelers analysts I follow have even considered or reported this. I'd love to check out any recent articles, Anderson is a solid athlete.
since we arent supposed to link to outside news sources anymore, google Spenser anderson, fittipaldo, dulac and kaboly... i know the first mentioned they liked him at Right tackle... the other two mentioned him too, one as a center. Its mostly in post gazette chats... right around the times Chuks and Cole got released

I have to think they draft the center from WVU Frazer in the second round.
Either the OT from UGA in first round or a receiver.
Herbig is your backup.
The kid from WVU is a really good center and would help us big time on this OL.
I have a feeling their plan is to move Dan Moore to RT and slide Broderick to his natural LT.
They like that receiver I think his name is Rome Odunze from Washington and wouldn’t be surprised off they try and move some to get him.
I am seeing Odunze coming off a lot of boards @ 9-12. We'd have to give up a lot of draft capital to go from 20 to possibly 10. Odunze is immensely talented.

Meh if we go into the year with a rookie and herbig we will be ok... remember, we paid Herbig big money for his ability to play all three iol spots... and there is a lot of smoke around Spenser Anderson getting a real look at Rt or C this year.. they like him a lot
If Anderson and/or Trice pans out Khan and Weidl look even better than they already look at drafting.

That would be a really nice surprise if Spencer was ready to contribute as an OLman starter. Or even a solid backup, I'd take that for a 7th rounder.

I am seeing Odunze coming off a lot of boards @ 9-12. We'd have to give up a lot of draft capital to go from 20 to possibly 10. Odunze is immensely talented.
Too much capital, stay put and draft a lineman.

With what has happened at the C position since Pouncey retired, I would say we absolutely need someone who can capably play the position from day 1 this season. I don't think that's Herbig and there's no guarantee a draft pick can do it.

I'd say we need a vet.
You go take the top center in the draft and stop worrying about the position. They tried to move Kendrick Green in and that flopped.

You go take the top center in the draft and stop worrying about the position. They tried to move Kendrick Green in and that flopped.
That was a beauty of a Colbert/Tomlin move, ah? I remember those 2 clowns bragging about it. Of course it was another case of the Steelers switching a player from his position. Genius. I remember Colbert bragging about Green's athleticism.

That was a beauty of a Colbert/Tomlin move, ah? I remember those 2 clowns bragging about it. Of course it was another case of the Steelers switching a player from his position. Genius. I remember Colbert bragging about Green's athleticism.
It was a bad draft for us. We could've already addressed the OL but here we are 3 drafts later still needing help.

It was a bad draft for us. We could've already addressed the OL but here we are 3 drafts later still needing help.
Colbert felt defensive enough about passing on Humphrey that he chose to brag up on drafting Green for C. He felt the need to tell everyone how athletic Green was and how great could do at C. Yea right, Kevin, how did that work out for you? Penn State boy TE Muth has been "OK" but no one is mistaking him for Heath. We could have had the next great Steeler C on this team in Humphrey, but no, Shades and Colbert were too smart to take him.

Colbert felt defensive enough about passing on Humphrey that he chose to brag up on drafting Green for C. He felt the need to tell everyone how athletic Green was and how great could do at C. Yea right, Kevin, how did that work out for you? Penn State boy TE Muth has been "OK" but no one is mistaking him for Heath. We could have had the next great Steeler C on this team in Humphrey, but no, Shades and Colbert were too smart to take him.
100% agree. You take the sure thing and lock up that position for a decade or whatever. OL doesn't have to be so difficult. Build the trenches and then go get those skill players.