• Please be aware we've switched the forums to their own URL. (again) You'll find the new website address to be www.steelernationforum.com Thanks
  • Please clear your private messages. Your inbox is close to being full.

C.J. Mosley

• Thread starter Thread starter Idioteque
  • Start date Start date
I

Idioteque

OK. I've finished my study of Mosley. I watched a good number of snaps from games across 2012 and 2013.

First of all, there's not a lot of athletic upside here. Even if he weren't a walking injury, he looks solid but not elite in terms of speed and fluidity. He closes pretty well, changes directions OK, and does have a decent gear in a straight line. So he's a solid, unspectacular athlete. This isn't really an indictment, or I'd say he's slow and stiff. He's not; he's just probably maxed out athletically at this point. It's hard for me to expect he'll hit the NFL and become much more fluid and much more explosive.

From a strength/power perspective, he looks OK. I'd like to know why he opted not to bench press at the Combine OR his Pro Day; most LBs, especially those high in the rankings, did the bench. Mosley did everything except run the 40 and bench. (His Pro Day 40 was fairly pedestrian, which is troubling considering how inflated Pro Day times usually are. I think he's about a 4.7 guy on a Combine field.) As far as strength goes, he looks like the "elite in college/acceptable in the pros" type. He's good at working through trash, but not so much with strength as much as fundamentals. Also consider that he had a Nick Saban Alabama d-line in front of him absorbing blockers; at least two of those guys are about to be drafted. So, when he's asked to take on Gs in the open field in the NFL, I don't see much evidence that he'll be elite at it.

Next, consider the recent track record of Alabama prospects. They have a penchant for being overworked injury cases. I know that shouldn't apply to every Saban prospect, but in Mosley, we're talking about a guy with an extensive injury history himself. At Alabama, he's dislocated an elbow and a hip, and now has a potential knee issue.

I know a lot of folks see "Alabama" next to his name and get stars in their eyes. But for all of their success, they've been anything but an NFL factory. Their first-rounders since 2009:

Dee Milliner (horrendous rookie year)
Chance Warmack (non-descript rookie season)
D.J. Fluker (up-and-down rookie season)
Trent Richardson (crappy and injury-riddled)
Mark Barron (has struggled mightily)
Dre Kirkpatrick (yet to break out)
Dont'a Hightower (solid, not great)
Marcell Dareus (great player but poor work ethic)
Julio Jones (great player but lingering foot injury from college)
James Carpenter (bust)
Mark Ingram (injury-riddled bust)
Rolando McClain (ahem)
Kareem Jackson (eventually started to look solid, not great)
Andre Smith (eventually started to look solid, not great; conditioning concerns)

They've also had a lot of guys viewed as first-rounders, only to slide into the second and beyond during the intensive draft process. Eddie Lacy, Courtney Upshaw, Javier Arenas, and Terrence Cody come to mind. So, I'm not going to give Mosley any points whatsoever for his college, or his conference. In fact, I'm going to take a look at the injury and stamina concerns of his Alabama peers and wonder even further, especially considering his own injury history.

I do like his fundamentals, for the most part. He diagnoses a play quickly and doesn't waste many steps getting to it. He knows how to sort through trash from a fundamental standpoint. Here's the thing, though: pretty much this entire scouting report could be applied to someone like Manti Te'o. Or a host of other ultra-productive college LBs. The way you can spot upside is pretty simple: do they look like they can defeat NFL athletes? I think Mosley can when he's protected by a good d-line and allowed to just flow into the gaps. I even think he'll hustle his way through some of those gaps and into the backfield from time to time. But will he defeat OL on the second level? Will he run step-for-step with a receiving TE down the seam? Will he chase Jamaal Charles into the flat? I know I'm asking a lot here, but we're talking about the 15th pick in an awesome draft. I'd like more than a slightly better Manti Te'o.

I do not want him, not in the 1st or 2nd. Never did.

I aint gonna lie- I havent seen much of Mosley.

But I saw that he went to Alabama (check), was a solid ILB (check), and thought it would fill our need (check). I would have to defer to the draftniks here for a true assessment.

That being said, I thought Mosley had really solid coverage ability? I thought he was touted as being able to keep up with the hybrid TE's of the world.

Last edited:
I'd say he's stout in coverage. He runs fine with college TEs and what not. But so did Te'o; that was his specialty in school. And I don't think I'd spend so much as a late second on him.

I'd say he's stout in coverage. He runs fine with college TEs and what not. But so did Te'o; that was his specialty in school. And I don't think I'd spend so much as a late second on him.

Actually, when you compare him to Manti Te'o, for some reason, that really turns me off to the pick lol.

722129926.gif

You win this round, Idioteque

Lol. The Te'o comparison isn't a strict scouting comparison. Mosley is a better prospect; probably a little faster, quicker, and stronger IMO. Not by much, but enough to notice.

I think he would do fine in coverage and be a solid LBer. Not sure a star though. I think at 15 you want to point towards someone who you think can develop into that type of prospect. He might be less riskier than some, but the ceiling doesn't look too high either IMO............

I'm relying on what you guys are saying. Hope the front office has / gets as much insight, as I do here!!!!

Salute the nation

I'm relying on what you guys are saying. Hope the front office has / gets as much insight, as I do here!!!!

Salute the nation

I've watched CJ his entire career at Bama. Not playing the homer card - but I like him a lot.

That being said, ILB isn't the position of need at 1.15, IMO...

I've watched CJ his entire career at Bama. Not playing the homer card - but I like him a lot.

That being said, ILB isn't the position of need at 1.15, IMO...

Hopefully the Steelers won't be drafting just because of need. Take the BPA and get some talent.

Te'o's girlfriend insists that Mosely is elite.

What about that, Idioteque?

There will be better athletes than Mosely when the Steelers draft. Open and shut case if you ask me.

As for Mosely himself, wouldn't surprise me if he dropped out of the first entirely.

There will be better athletes than Mosely when the Steelers draft. Open and shut case if you ask me.

As for Mosely himself, wouldn't surprise me if he dropped out of the first entirely.

I think he will, and we'll have a shot at him at 46.

There are others I'd rather see us take at 15 but if it is CJ, I won't be disappointed. Solid, cerebral, plays well in coverage, sheds blocks and anticipates well. Not hating on Timmons, but as has been discussed, he doesn't call the D. Mosley is more than capable for that job.

IMO, Mosley is a top 10 player in almost all drafts. He will have a larger impact than either Clowney or ANY of the top picks. HE won't be drafted like the others because of his injury history AND his present physical. He is a difference maker. Better than Willis perhaps. Most scouts will love his game but hate his chances based on the system and history of ILB draft picks out of Tuscaloosa. He IS a wild card pick. Could be a 10 year all-pro or another Rolando McLain. He doesn't seem like the 'emptyhead' that McLain is but UA has a history of producing irregular LB prospects. I loved him him but don't want him now.

I was on another site and looked at some clips that were posted while our board was down and was not that impressed with him or any of the other linebackers that were projected to be available when we pick in the first. They were just guys. In the top 15 picks I would expect someone that would really standout from the rest of the bunch. I watched these guys not just mosey but a couple of others as well and thought of Jerry Olslavsky (sp), a guy that was an ok back up but not starter material. I do not see the power or speed or quickness that makes me think Steelers Linebacker, these guys did not even make me think they would be better than Larry Foote of a few years ago. They may be pretty good compared to the rest of the draft class but they will be compared to the rest of the nfl and we maybe better served with a journeyman until a better group comes out of college. I do not think this is a good year for linebackers compared to some other positions.