• Please be aware we've switched the forums to their own URL. (again) You'll find the new website address to be www.steelernationforum.com Thanks
  • Please clear your private messages. Your inbox is close to being full.

Cam Sutton returning on a 1 year deal

When I made my comments,I knew exactly what the responses would be. And of course innocent presumption and all that,
I’m just done with the drama. He attacked his 7 year partner and mother of his 3 children. And obviously has the means to hire a good lawyer. There are somethings I can let go with rehabilitation. Choking /hitting women isn’t one of them.
Letting a dog killer QB our team was another. Yet we laugh at Cleveland and Cincinnati.
Some read news headlines, initial reporting, one version without giving the other side and/or reality the chance for the proper response.

We fans simply do not know the full story. Read Sutton's comments in the SN.com story about this. Very probably his teamates and coaches know much more about what happened; their hearts are less hardened than some.

Jerome Bettis was once accused of horrible things. How/when did that work out?

Of maybe teams learned that throwing his way was stupid... more film = more knowledge.
OK, fair enough, I'll consider your theory. But let's look at someone near and dear to us and see if that theory applies. Rod Woodson.
https://www.pro-football-reference.com/players/W/WoodRo01.htm

Rod started off with 1 int his rookie, year and then he went like this:

Rooie year - 1 inct.
2nd year - 4 and then his next, in order....

I know, I know, Rod is one of the best ever and no one said Jackson is, true that. Rod also moved to S late in his career. But, I'm just saying, Jackson's trend of 4, 3, 3, 2, 2, 0 is a concern, that's all. Can Jackson play "decent" enough until we upgrade? I hope so. I'm just saying I don't consider #2 CB a "locked down" position as of right now. Maybe I'm wrong.

OK, fair enough, I'll consider your theory. But let's look at someone near and dear to us and see if that theory applies. Rod Woodson.
https://www.pro-football-reference.com/players/W/WoodRo01.htm

Rooie year - 1 inct.

I know, I know, Rod is one of the best ever and no one said Jackson is, true that. Rod also moved to S late in his career. But, I'm just saying, Jackson's trend of 4, 3, 3, 2, 2, 0 is a concern, that's all. Can Jackson play "decent" enough until we upgrade? I hope so. I'm just saying I don't consider #2 CB a "locked down" position as of right now. Maybe I'm wrong.
I don’t think a zero INT season is a concern at all. I am more concerned how well he performs in coverage game to game. Which obviously is a wait and see. New scheme always raises questions if a player fits or doesn’t fit.

I think he will fit but again we’ll see.

Some read news headlines, initial reporting, one version without giving the other side and/or reality the chance for the proper response.

We fans simply do not know the full story. Read Sutton's comments in the SN.com story about this. Very probably his teamates and coaches know much more about what happened; their hearts are less hardened than some.

Jerome Bettis was once accused of horrible things. How/when did that work out?
Looking at Bettis' case, it was merely an accusation of him strongly suggesting oral sex to a female fan, no forced physical accusations applied I don't think. The detective said only Bettis and his accuser knows what happened in that car. It was merely a "he said, she said" situation where there was no evidence either way, so it was dropped. She claimed he said "You better not fight this." Who knows. If I was a famous athlete - or famous anyone - I'd be scared sh----less to get involved with anyone I didn't know to some degree.

Sutton's case has a little more "teeth" to it. It involves physical contact (strangeulation) and he went on the run for 3 weeks. If there is truth to the accusations, yea, physically strangling a woman is sure a lot worse than asking for oral sex, however strongly.

Let's try this again.

"He's almost characterizing himself as a victim. 'We all go through some adversity.' Some adversity is set upon us," Florio said. " Some adversity we create by the things we do."

Florio doesn't agree with the signing.

Last edited:
Jackson started out strongly as a rookie with 4 ints. The the next 2 years had 3, still respectable. Then the next 2 had 2...OK.....then last year had zero. I look at trends. His trend is a down arrow. Now, maybe he can bounce back and nab 3 ints like 4 years ago. Maybe. Or not. Maybe his trend is what it is because he has fallen in play. I know he was not a touted good CB at the time of the trade and I wondered why.
According to who?

There's a reason the Steelers cut his salary in half, we signed a #2 CB and he looks better than anyone there before in a long time.

According to who?

There's a reason the Steelers cut his salary in half, we signed a #2 CB and he looks better than anyone there before in a long time.
He was not listed high up on any FA lists as a top player, that I saw, any how. He had 5 passes defended, zero ints last year, not really anything of note. Could he return to his rookie year of 6 years ago with 4 picks? He could, I guess.

https://www.pro-football-reference.com/players/J/JackDo02.htm

as a football move, this is a no brainer. Steelers need an inside CB. Sutton is a good inside CB and he can play outside so long as you help him.

As far as the off field stuff, I've learned to not make any judgements until we get both sides. How many times have we seen these things end up being bogus? Bettis was wrongly accused at one time. Ben had allegations too.

NFL teams have security people who look into these things. My guess is the steelers got some sort of report that says all may not be as it seems.

In any case, you can always cut him later if evidence shows he's guilty.
Every single major pro team in north america, and probably the world has investigators on retainer... they always need them
Looking at Bettis' case, it was merely an accusation of him strongly suggesting oral sex to a female fan, no forced physical accusations applied I don't think. The detective said only Bettis and his accuser knows what happened in that car. It was merely a "he said, she said" situation where there was no evidence either way, so it was dropped. She claimed he said "You better not fight this." Who knows. If I was a famous athlete - or famous anyone - I'd be scared sh----less to get involved with anyone I didn't know to some degree.

Sutton's case has a little more "teeth" to it. It involves physical contact (strangeulation) and he went on the run for 3 weeks. If there is truth to the accusations, yea, physically strangling a woman is sure a lot worse than asking for oral sex, however strongly.
I intimately know tge Bettis story because I worked at tge building it happened at (The old bobby dales in greensburg) and with people who were there when it happened

the girl and her uncle or professor.. i dont remember which... planned a shakedown scheme because Bettis had a good reputation and lots of money. (Fyi shakedowns are commonplace in the nfl... you only hear about a tiny percentage of the accusations, which is why teams often seem nonplussed by this stuff unless there is a major media and PR kerfuffle)

It was right next to that high school field they hold the annual night practice at. Afterwards She lured Bettis outside and blew him... saved the semen... then had her uncle rough her up and claimed bettis raped her.. i think she even went to the cops...

She tried to blackmail him, and would have likely gotten away with it, but she blabbed to a college friend who was a steeler fan, and he dropped a dime on her and when the cops nailed her she flipped on the other guy and Bettis was saved a public rape accusation

( though iirc, initially Madden was hinting about bettis going to be charged before the whole truth came out.. so he took a little rep hit for a brief moment... )

Every single major pro team in north america, and probably the world has investigators on retainer... they always need them

I intimately know tge Bettis story because I worked at tge building it happened at (The old bobby dales in greensburg) and with people who were there when it happened

the girl and her uncle or professor.. i dont remember which... planned a shakedown scheme because Bettis had a good reputation and lots of money. (Fyi shakedowns are commonplace in the nfl... you only hear about a tiny percentage of the accusations, which is why teams often seem nonplussed by this stuff unless there is a major media and PR kerfuffle)

It was right next to that high school field they hold the annual night practice at. Afterwards She lured Bettis outside and blew him... saved the semen... then had her uncle rough her up and claimed bettis raped her.. i think she even went to the cops...

She tried to blackmail him, and would have likely gotten away with it, but she blabbed to a college friend who was a steeler fan, and he dropped a dime on her and when the cops nailed her she flipped on the other guy and Bettis was saved a public rape accusation

( though iirc, initially Madden was hinting about bettis going to be charged before the whole truth came out.. so he took a little rep hit for a brief moment... )
Yea, all that you posted sound about right with what I found, and it was her "uncle" who was involved in the attempted shake down. This is why I said I would be scared sh---less to hook up with anyone I didn't really know if I was famous. You become a huge target. So she saved some jizz, so what? What's that prove? That they had a sex act, not that the act was illegal or forced.

Sutton's case is a little more serious, it appears. He pleaded out to a more minor offense but there was evidence of supposed strangulation and some bumps on her head from supposedly being struck there while being held on the ground. Legally, he probably isn't facing any/much time but Roger may still bring the hammer down.

That is not how the Betty's story evolved. That is the end, after a lot of misinformation towards Bettis.

On Sutton you are relying on the one side only at this point. How does anyone know, for example, that Sutton's lady didn't beat the hell out of him while he was sleeping, that he merely defended himself and that maybe he stayed away from camera's because he had wounds/bruises healing, and away from police because he was overcharged?

Like every other fan, I have no idea what really happened, but I can infer from the Steelers that they are ok with him being on the team. They necessarily know more than me or you.

Without offering any of my personal opinions on the alleged events or Sutton, I suspect that the NFL make let this one go as quietly as possible with a 2-4 game suspension (perhaps straight up two with an agreement not to appeal). Reason? While the antics of Sutton drew a lot of national media attention, the actual alleged events surrounding the assault somehow did not seem to grab the national headlines much. In fact, had Sutton not gone batshit crazy we may not have heard much outside of Detroit and Pitt. Also, even now, while some are saying it is poor taste for the Steelers to sign him know one is really pounding the table for a huge punishment. The NFL never does the "right" thing, they do the "money" thing. At least for now, it is a bigger win for the NFL to sweep this under the rug than any points that can be earned from making a huge deal out of it. So they will mostly let sleeping dogs lie. My uneducated guess anyway.

After reading what Supe posted,I too can’t stand what he did here. ( if true) Looks certainly like he abused her.

WTF are we….the Bengals or the Browns? We applaud this signing? We laugh at other teams doing this type of thing.
Think of that woman as your daughter.
See…..we are the enablers. Kick these type of ******* out. Instead of applauding,just because we need a slot corner. And we get him cheap. Hooray!
I shake my head in disgust.
Add in all stuff we know they hid about AB. Crazy that some are good on the signing. Sutton disappeared into hiding for weeks for a reason. My guess is he did something bad. Does he deserve the legal progress to play out? Damn straight he does. Why sign him before that though? We look more and more like the old Bengals than I ever would want to be. Smh

Add in all stuff we know they hid about AB. Crazy that some are good on the signing. Sutton disappeared into hiding for weeks for a reason. My guess is he did something bad. Does he deserve the legal progress to play out? Damn straight he does. Why sign him before that though? We look more and more like the old Bengals than I ever would want to be. Smh
Hasn’t the legal process pretty much played out? Looked like downgraded to misdemeanor and he took a program to avoid any time if I read correctly

Interesting take. Would you apply that same logic to Mike Vick??? I'm curious...
I had no problem with Vick playing. Personally, though I love my dog and dogs in general I thought that highly overblown. He played a couple other places. It wasn't his first upon return. If he is eligible to play snd he helps the team doesn't cause major distractions.... I'm fine. I cheer for the logo. When I like certain players, that's a bonus.

Hasn’t the legal process pretty much played out? Looked like downgraded to misdemeanor and he took a program to avoid any time if I read correctly
Really? Then sign the woman beater up. At least he didn't strangle her last breath out of her. How the standard has fallen.,,,but hey.....maybe we can squeak another nonlosing season out with Sutton on board.

Florrio can go **** himself. Cam Sutton is going to play SOMEWHERE in the NFL next year. If you don't think the guy is worthy of an NFL paycheck take it up with the NFL. If he signed with the Chiefs is he putting up this stink.

Don’t threaten cooch with knowledge he will have no part of it.
Sit on this and spin...

Rooie year - 1 inct.

Sit on this and spin...

Rooie year - 1 inct.

what the **** is rooie year 1 inct mean? oh yes never mind just a typo. no big deal. carry on