• Please be aware we've switched the forums to their own URL. (again) You'll find the new website address to be www.steelernationforum.com Thanks
  • Please clear your private messages. Your inbox is close to being full.

CB and WR in 2014 - who?

TDX27

Forefather
Contributor
Reaction score
So, now that we didn't take a CB or WR in the 1st 3 rounds, it will be a major shock that we can get anyone at those two positions that can start in 2014. Who do we start now at those positions and can we survive the year? It baffles me that our 2 biggest needs our CB and WR and we didn't address even one of them in the 1st 3 rounds with a potential starter.

All of you gurus out there, who do we start at CB and WR and can we survive 2014 with them? Are there any free agents left to snag? Are we giving up on 2014 and admitting we will be at best 8-8 again?

we don't need a wr or cb to start this year. We can always draft a top flight corner and wr in next years draft. I'm sure we will grab one, or both of those still.

Wr - Brown, Wheaton, Moore. I don't think the sky is falling here. Hoping that Heyward Bey also can help a little but not really optimistic.

Cb - Cortez, Ike, Gay. The rest are no names. This honestly scares the **** out of me. Gay is decent in the right role, we have all watched Ike go from one of the better corners in the league to now being decent at best. I really like Cortez, but is ready to cover #1 receivers every week? I doubt Ike will even be around after 2014, so that leaves us with Gay and Cortez. I really hope DL has a plan here, like he has personally been watching a couple of the guys on our roster that no one really knows anything about and thinks within a year they will be solid. Or he has been assured by Tombert that we will get a proven CB in FA after the draft. If none of those things are true then God help us, teams will light up the scoreboard week in and week out. And all of the homers will be telling us that Gay isn't that bad, he just isn't used correctly.

Seriously, though - do we have the talent on the roster to legitimately put starters on the field and even if we lose a player due to injury? At WR, we have enough bodies but beyond WR1 and WR2, who do have that is even remote to be a lock to play? If Ike declines even more at CB, who do we play there? We may have to play a 5th or 6th rounder in their first year. I'm serious about this question. Who do we play at each position and are they really starting caliber players or close to it? If not, how do we win this year?

What about a guy like Aaron Colvin? Tore his knee, but normally would have been a 2nd round pick? Take him now...and maybe he can start in a year, or at least push Gay.

So, now that we didn't take a CB or WR in the 1st 3 rounds, it will be a major shock that we can get anyone at those two positions that can start in 2014. Who do we start now at those positions and can we survive the year? It baffles me that our 2 biggest needs our CB and WR and we didn't address even one of them in the 1st 3 rounds with a potential starter.

All of you gurus out there, who do we start at CB and WR and can we survive 2014 with them? Are there any free agents left to snag? Are we giving up on 2014 and admitting we will be at best 8-8 again?

I hate this entire ******* draft, everyone in the entire world knew we needed a WR, or DB and we pick LB, DE, and RB in the first three rounds???? I guess Tomlin and the guys enjoy picking in the top half of the draft.

I am fine with Colvin. Let's face it, I really doubt any CB that we draft now is going see any playing time unless there is an injury. And we already have some warm bodies that could step in.

I guess the thinking would have to be that increasing QB pressure through the new LB and DE will help the CBs in coverage. I might have thought that better CBs would help the front 7 have more time to get to the QB....or done a bit of both by going LB, DE and CB in 1-3. I like the concept of a guy like Archer, just not at 3.97 with so many other needs....is there hope for a June 1 FA pickup at CB?

I can see the first 2 picks but why not take a big WR they liked in the 3rd with Bryant? The Dri pick makes no sense. He wasn't even the best small, fast guy on the board. I guess he will be our WR since he can play both RB and WR. You take a flyer on a player like him in the later rounds. We haven't had recent luck with picking guys like him so why use a 3rd rounder?

I guess the thinking would have to be that increasing QB pressure through the new LB and DE will help the CBs in coverage. I might have thought that better CBs would help the front 7 have more time to get to the QB....or done a bit of both by going LB, DE and CB in 1-3. I like the concept of a guy like Archer, just not at 3.97 with so many other needs....is there hope for a June 1 FA pickup at CB?

Yeah I would have preferred Archer at 5 too.

I think the Steelers can still find a nice prospect at corner and WR, and they already stated they weren't done in free agency. I look forward to todays draft......................

If they're confident in Wheaton emerging as their #2 WR, I can see not addressing WR.

However, the complacency they seem to be showing with their CBs is just....odd. I think Allen will be solid, but to say Taylor was decent last season is very generous. He was terrible, and given his age, a continued decline is to be expected. Gay is OK in a nickel role, but if Taylor's play forces him to become their #2 matchup guy, as he was from 2009 to 2011, they're in big trouble.

I thought they really needed to add someone who can matchup in nickel/dime situations in 2014 and push for the 1 or 2 job in 2015.

With that being said, both Taylor and Allen were fourth rounders. Maybe they've targeted someone who they assumed will be available today.

Steelers opponents won't have time to throw, so we'll be fine. Our running game is gonna set up the pass, so we'll be fine. If this team stays healthy we'll win the division.
We still have a lot of picks left too, have faith!

*ducks

Steelers get Ike to do a major pay cut to stay... BASED ON WHAT? Yeah,, he wasn't so great last year.

FA market is over for CB's. WE still haven't picked one up. So its Allen, Ike, Gay ,,, again.

If I were Ike I might be feeling pretty ******* stupid right now.

I don't get it either.

We have to hope Ike has a good offseason and comes back this year and plays more like he did 2 years ago. If he plays like he did last year or worse, we have no one to put back there.

QB pressure. Thats what it is all about.

The media pundits have made us believe that we need a CB- but we all watch the games. Our CB's give 10 yard cushions while the front 7 does (attempts) to get after the QB.

You wanna waste a first on a guy giving a 10 yard cushion?

WR wasn't a need, it's a want. Brown, Wheaton, Moore will be our starters. They must have faith in Wheaton as WR2, so why waste a high pick on a WR3?

CB is a need, but so was ILB and DL. I would have preferred a CB or a space eating NT after ILB.

If we can get a solid corner and Ellis (NT) I will be pumped. Throw in a big wr like Coleman, and I'll poo myself. I want to trade down a little. Tons of solid players left.

I hate this entire ******* draft, everyone in the entire world knew we needed a WR, or DB and we pick LB, DE, and RB in the first three rounds???? I guess Tomlin and the guys enjoy picking in the top half of the draft.

Par for the course.

And the downward trend continues.

Mitchell fixes a lot of problems Ike had last year. We have the good chance to grab a big Wr this round. Archer won't be the return guy we got a stud named Blount to do that!!

Mitchell fixes a lot of problems Ike had last year. We have the good chance to grab a big Wr this round. Archer won't be the return guy we got a stud named Blount to do that!!

Exactly- I think Mitchell alone upgrades our secondary tremendously

The good news is that we'll probably have a shot at the top CB in next year's draft.