• Please be aware we've switched the forums to their own URL. (again) You'll find the new website address to be www.steelernationforum.com Thanks
  • Please clear your private messages. Your inbox is close to being full.

Coaching Change Thread

I keep forgettin' things will never be the same again.
Too bad I keep rememberin' that things will always be the same as long as Tomlin is in Pittsburgh.

Can he come to Pittsburgh if Cool Shades takes a sabbatical?

Luke Getsy just hit the open market. I’m probably in the minority that wouldn’t mind seeing him as the Steelers OC. I like him better than Leftwich. Might be a better OC match with Pickett/Rudolph. That’s if Aaron Rodgers doesn’t make the NYJ sweep him up

Luke Getsy just hit the open market. I’m probably in the minority that wouldn’t mind seeing him as the Steelers OC. I like him better than Leftwich. Might be a better OC match with Pickett/Rudolph. That’s if Aaron Rodgers doesn’t make the NYJ sweep him up
I doubt Getsy is looking for another QB coach job. Aaron is tied at the hip to Hackett for the time being. Hackett as OC for 2024 is pretty much a done deal.

What exactly makes him an attractive option?

The Bears barely had better #'s than ours despite having a better QB.

Can he come to Pittsburgh if Cool Shades takes a sabbatical?
No. He’s the guy who passed from the 1 to lose the Super Bowl with the league’s best RB on the bench.

Nick Saban retiring from Alabama. Bama will throw TONS of money at the next coach. Do they go for Harbaugh? Urban Meyer? An NFL coach?

I always liked Pete Carroll as a head coach. A lot more tolerable than Mike Holmgren in Seattle. I get the move, though.

Carroll only has 1 playoff win (4 appearances) in the past 7 seasons. He's in that Tier 2 or 3 of coaches behind Reid and Belichick (not sure where you place a guy like Shanahan and some of the other young coaches). Tomlin, Carroll, Harbaugh, Payton, McCarthy all have pretty much the same resume. A couple stand out a little more in the regular season, others a little more in the postseason. Carroll has been stuck in the middle for three seasons and no playoff success in recent years. Sure you can be comfortable with that or you can try something new to break out of the slump.

What exactly makes him an attractive option?

The Bears barely had better #'s than ours despite having a better QB.
I liked what he was doing with Chicago, he spent time under Hackett and with Rodgers so he knows what he wants and needs out of his offense. I’m not sure if he was the right fit for Justin Fields

I think Carroll has done some of his best coaching the last few years. The team won while paying tons of money on defense and Wilson on a rookie deal. They had to pay Russel and the team started coming apart.

Pete was smart enough to recognize before the league that something was off with Russ. The media kept yelling - Let Russ Cook! As if Pete was just too dumb to let Russ wing it game after game. He had the stones to ditch Russ and go with Geno Smith and the team got better. They still have holes but he’s getting the most out of them.

I think Carroll has done some of his best coaching the last few years. The team won while paying tons of money on defense and Wilson on a rookie deal. They had to pay Russel and the team started coming apart.

Pete was smart enough to recognize before the league that something was off with Russ. The media kept yelling - Let Russ Cook! As if Pete was just too dumb to let Russ wing it game after game. He had the stones to ditch Russ and go with Geno Smith and the team got better. They still have holes but he’s getting the most out of them.

They are going to have Cap issues and Geno Smith is probably out after this season.

Its a good breakpoint for the team and the soon to be 73 year old coach...
the new guy gets to build his own offense and revamp the D...

i don’t dislike him. I just push back against him being anointed the next MUST hire head coach for the past 5 years or so.
He’d be on my short list to replace Shades but I gotta wonder why he’s not been hired yet.

Pat*** hired Mayo as their new HC.

Pete Carrol 72
Bill Bellicheck 71
Nick Saban 72
You looking for a presidential candidate, or do you want a crypt keeper to replace Tomlin? Sorry they are much younger than the ancient presidential candidates.

Mike Tomlin 51 He's got 20 more years in him!

Pete Carrol 72
Bill Bellicheck 71
Nick Saban 72
You looking for a presidential candidate, or do you want a crypt keeper to replace Tomlin? Sorry they are much younger than the ancient presidential candidates.

Mike Tomlin 51 He's got 20 more years in him!

Nobody should be coaching after 70... those dinosaurs should take up golf or fishing or something...