• Please be aware we've switched the forums to their own URL. (again) You'll find the new website address to be www.steelernationforum.com Thanks
  • Please clear your private messages. Your inbox is close to being full.

College admissions question

SteelerInLebanon

Steeler fanatic trying to survive modern society
Contributor
Reaction score
I was going to post in the concession stand forum but thought this would get to touchy.
My son is a senior in High School he has started getting his acceptance and unfortunately rejection letters back from schools.
As some of you know he has Tourette's and a pretty severe case of ADHD as well as some other associated issues. This has made school a struggle for him as far as grades go. He has about a 2.5 GPA but scored a 30 on his ACT. HIs first choice is The University of Cincinnati where his sister is a junior. They have in the past had pretty easy requirements. He got a rejection letter from them which surprised us. Historical admission show he should have easily been admitted. They used to take special needs into account for GPA and that was no longer asked on the application so I called the disability services department and looked up who his admissions counselors were. The Dr. in disability services who I had known previously was very helpful and we found Matthew had missed some important items on his application which he allowed him to fix and personally delivered it to the proper department for appeal. The counselor that was in charge of the decision rejected him again strictly based on his GPA and did not seem to take into account anything else while looking up information on this guy I find his picture on UC's website wearing a BLM pin. He was not particularly friendly or helpful is wrong of me to feel that if my son had been a minority he would have been admitted? He has received a large scholarship offer from a division III school that would allow him to swim and maybe even play football but he really wanted to try and walk on to the swim team at UC. Am I wrong in feeling this way? We know many minority students get in from worse High Schools with worse grades and test scores. Is it just me or is a college admissions counselor wrong for wearing a BLM pin in his online profile? Should that not be deemed inappropriate at a public university?

I was going to post in the concession stand forum but thought this would get to touchy.
My son is a senior in High School he has started getting his acceptance and unfortunately rejection letters back from schools.
As some of you know he has Tourette's and a pretty severe case of ADHD as well as some other associated issues. This has made school a struggle for him as far as grades go. He has about a 2.5 GPA but scored a 30 on his ACT. HIs first choice is The University of Cincinnati where his sister is a junior. They have in the past had pretty easy requirements. He got a rejection letter from them which surprised us. Historical admission show he should have easily been admitted. They used to take special needs into account for GPA and that was no longer asked on the application so I called the disability services department and looked up who his admissions counselors were. The Dr. in disability services who I had known previously was very helpful and we found Matthew had missed some important items on his application which he allowed him to fix and personally delivered it to the proper department for appeal. The counselor that was in charge of the decision rejected him again strictly based on his GPA and did not seem to take into account anything else while looking up information on this guy I find his picture on UC's website wearing a BLM pin. He was not particularly friendly or helpful is wrong of me to feel that if my son had been a minority he would have been admitted? He has received a large scholarship offer from a division III school that would allow him to swim and maybe even play football but he really wanted to try and walk on to the swim team at UC. Am I wrong in feeling this way? We know many minority students get in from worse High Schools with worse grades and test scores. Is it just me or is a college admissions counselor wrong for wearing a BLM pin in his online profile? Should that not be deemed inappropriate at a public university?

Well, you're probably not wrong because as we were discussing in another thread, underrepresented minorities can get in with lower stats because colleges are all trying to push for diversity. I know it seems really unfair but it is unfortunately perfectly legal.

My daughters are on the other end of the spectrum, my one daughter has a 4.4 GPA and 1580 SATs, perfect score on the math part, and has been deferred by two of her top choices so far. Too many high achieving white kids from the Northeast. A girl got accepted to one of them as a recruited athlete with much, much lower scores and grades. A half-Hispanic kid also got accepted to one of them, also with lower scores and grades. It sucks but it's the reality now. College admissions is really a crapshoot, it's not just about stats it's about building a class based on certain demographics.

My advice is send him to the Division III school, make sure he does as well as possible both academically and sports wise and then have him try to apply as a transfer. That's probably your best shot at this point. A 2.5 is going to be tough to get into any large flagship university.

Last edited:
Reactions: MTC
Well, you're probably not wrong because as we were discussing in another thread, underrepresented minorities can get in with lower stats because colleges are all trying to push for diversity. I know it seems really unfair but it is unfortunately perfectly legal.

My daughters are on the other end of the spectrum, my one daughter has a 4.4 GPA and 1580 SATs, perfect score on the math part, and has been deferred by two of her top choices so far. Too many high achieving white kids from the Northeast. A girl got accepted to one of them as a recruited athlete with much, much lower scores and grades. A half-Hispanic kid also got accepted to one of them, also with lower scores and grades. It sucks but it's the reality now. College admissions is really a crapshoot, it's not just about stats it's about building a class based on certain demographics.

My advice is send him to the Division III school, make sure he does as well as possible both academically and sports wise and then have him try to apply as a transfer. That's probably your best shot at this point. A 2.5 is going to be tough to get into any large flagship university.

Yeah. He made his own bed with the grades although to a degree he can’t entirely help it. He is smart and remembers almost everything he reads but can’t turn an assignment in on time even when done. It is very frustrating. He should have been a straight A student based on his standardized testing and IQ testing. The schools are not set up to deal with the way he learns. UC really pushes the fact that they have a great program to work with students like Matthew. Dr. Sauer who helped me try to get him in, thought he would have been a good fit for their program. Shouldn’t he receive the same consideration based on Tourette’s as if he were a minority? The other guy did not seem to think so.

My biggest beef was with the attitude of and public display of a political a agenda with the counselor. Also with the fact that the school system had told my son he was doing fine for UC based on their prior policies and that IC has changed those policies without making it know publicly.

Sent from my iPhone using Steeler Nation mobile app

Last edited:
My daughters are on the other end of the spectrum, my one daughter has a 4.4 GPA and 1580 SATs, perfect score on the math part, and has been deferred by two of her top choices so far. Too many high achieving white kids from the Northeast. A girl got accepted to one of them as a recruited athlete with much, much lower scores and grades.

That is ridiculous. Our nation needs to promote and reward the best and brightest.

And here is an undeniable truth about admitting less-qualified students: They have to compete against much better students, struggle, wind up with low grades, and then transfer to the areas where they can earn decent grades ... Ethnic Studies, etc.

They graduate with basically useless degrees, rather than competing against their academic peers and taking courses that matter. Meanwhile, the highly-talented and motivated students left out go to lesser colleges, and simply destroy the competition. The kids who would be valedictorians at those schools are not. The talented, brilliant kids who should be competing against their intellectual peers have their lack of "top tier" school held against them when they apply to graduate schools.

The entire system is effed up when it applies clearly disparate standards to students.

Yeah. He made his own bed with the grades although to a degree he can’t entirely help it. He is smart and remembers almost everything he reads but can’t turn an assignment in on time even when done. It is very frustrating. He should have been a straight A student based on his standardized testing and IQ testing. The schools are not set up to deal with the way he learns. UC really pushes the fact that they have a great program to work with students like Matthew. Dr. Sauer who helped me try to get him in, thought he would have been a good fit for their program. Shouldn’t he receive the same consideration based on Tourette’s as if he were a minority? The other guy did not seem to think so.

My biggest beef was with the attitude of and public display of a political a agenda with the counselor. Also with the fact that the school system had told my son he was doing fine for UC based on their prior policies and that IC has changed those policies without making it know publicly.

Sent from my iPhone using Steeler Nation mobile app

I totally agree with you on the BLM display but I would bet the vast majority of university professors would think it's just fine and dandy. Unfortunately you won't get anywhere trying to make the case that he's being discriminated against, even if it's true. It's a shame that they have such a great program that he would benefit from and won't let him in. Are there other schools that have similar programs?

If I were 18 today I’d say **** all these corrupt liberal colleges. I would join the mafia.

Sometimes I think why not take the hundreds of thousands they will pay for college and start a business or something. It seems like a bachelor's degree from anywhere can't possibly be worth this kind of money.

That is ridiculous. Our nation needs to promote and reward the best and brightest.

Bullshit. It's about getting even for centuries of oppression. SteelerInLebanon's kid is white and hasn't demonstrated the appropriate amount of guilt. Whiteness trumps disability.

Sometimes I think why not take the hundreds of thousands they will pay for college and start a business or something. It seems like a bachelor's degree from anywhere can't possibly be worth this kind of money.

A trend started within the past 3 or 4 years where many of the best and brightest HS kids are now choosing to go to community colleges instead of 4 year universities. They are about 1/4 the cost and you can also live at home and get the same degree. It used to be kids felt they had to go away to universities and private colleges for the prestige. Not as much any more. I think a lot of it is that they have college educated parents who are themselves still buried in their own college debt. As a result they are telling their kids to steer away from 4 year schools and get that degree for as cheap as possible. Starting around 2014 or so I noticed a drastic shift. It used to be out of the top 10 students in the class, 9 of them went going away to college.....because that's just what you did then. Now I'd say it's about 5 of them going away to school and 5 living at home and going to community colleges.

If that trend is going on everywhere, which I suspect it probably is, then colleges are pricing themselves out of a lot of smart kids.

Last edited:
My daughters are on the other end of the spectrum, my one daughter has a 4.4 GPA and 1580 SATs, perfect score on the math part, and has been deferred by two of her top choices so far.

Holy moley your daughter got 1580 out of 1600?? That's really amazing. Congrats to you and her!

My senior son has a 4.7 GPA and got 1420. Applied to 9 schools. So far he is 2 for 2 and applying to honors colleges there.

But yeah, we are waiting to get deferred and hear why he just wasn't good enough as compared to a minority student with a 2.75.

Too White.

Holy moley your daughter got 1580 out of 1600?? That's really amazing. Congrats to you and her!

My senior son has a 4.7 GPA and got 1420. Applied to 9 schools. So far he is 2 for 2 and applying to honors colleges there.

But yeah, we are waiting to get deferred and hear why he just wasn't good enough as compared to a minority student with a 2.75.

Too White.

Thanks, and congrats to your son, amazing accomplishments! My sense is at this level the grades probably matter a little more than the test scores. There are numerous kids with higher GPAs than hers at our school. She had a couple of Bs in AP classes and also took a lot of music classes which aren't weighted. She will have plenty of great options, just maybe not the tippy top ones she is dreaming of. But that would probably work out a lot better for us financially, he he.

Last edited:
If I were 18 today I’d say **** all these corrupt liberal colleges. I would join the mafia.

Lol. This^^^

Then by the time you graduate you have to give up your first born and monthly paychecks to pay off the loans.

I understand your son probably wants the University experience.
I think the Div III school would suit him well if he decides.

I got rejected from my in state college despite credentials. I ended up moving to Athens to attend UGA.
Lasted three years before home sickness :/

Looking back now, I think the cheaper community college route would've been better.
Good luck to your son and hope he has success wherever he goes

Bullshit. It's about getting even for centuries of oppression. SteelerInLebanon's kid is white and hasn't demonstrated the appropriate amount of guilt. Whiteness trumps disability.

Eh **** the liberal agenda.
I had a few professors who were hardcore "question authority, stick it to the man" type.
Way to teach students to not respect laws, others and in turn creates entitlement syndrome

I'm not even white and I see it

College is bullshit. The older I get the less important I see it.

I keep giving my sons the following advice...

You work for 12 years to get your HS degree. You work hard. That degree lasts only for the duration it takes to get you into a college. After that moment it is nearly irrelevant.

Then you bust your *** for four years or more in college to get a degree. Similarly, it really lasts only as long as it takes you to land that first job. Then and thereafter it's all about what you do in your career.

Those two pieces of paper are door openers only. I know a couple of people that either got no degree or got 2 years at a community college and are financially killing it (millionaires, multiple homes, etc). Life is really about what you do, not that piece of paper.

So I tell my oldest, forget going to Princeton or Yale. College is supposed to be fun and enjoyable and hard work. A blend. I tell him, I want you to have these three important things in college and if you learn how to do them all well, you're gonna be a success in life:

• Go to school, get a degree, and do well in your grades. Excel in your school work.
  • Fit into the community. Interact. Whether it be fraternities or clubs or volunteer or political or athletic organizations, become a part of the community and learn how to socially interact with all forms of people.
  • Manage your life. For the first time, it's all on you. You set the alarm. You determine when laundry gets done. When you eat. Do you study or go to happy hour? Learn how to manage your life and balance life's responsibilities with school work and the desire to have fun. Master this balance.

I tell him, if you master these three things - academic, social, and balancing time and life's responsibilities, you'll be a success on the back end. And it won't matter if you get that degree from Ohio State, Harvard, TCU, or Shepherd University in the long run.

I think the best thing is to take your civil service test and get a govt job like the post office. My friend started working there during her senior year i believe and after s couple years was making a ton of money. She did eventually goto college and work her way to the HR department.
As for your situation maybe your son could learn a trade. Plumbing / welding / electric etc etc. Master plumbers especially ones who do gas make great money. If he is really stuck on going to school then maybe you could try to talk to the dean/ president and explain your situation. The dean at my school (st Vincent) was very accessible so it is worth shot.

College is bullshit. The older I get the less important I see it.

I keep giving my sons the following advice...

You work for 12 years to get your HS degree. You work hard. That degree lasts only for the duration it takes to get you into a college. After that moment it is nearly irrelevant.

Then you bust your *** for four years or more in college to get a degree. Similarly, it really lasts only as long as it takes you to land that first job. Then and thereafter it's all about what you do in your career.

Those two pieces of paper are door openers only. I know a couple of people that either got no degree or got 2 years at a community college and are financially killing it (millionaires, multiple homes, etc). Life is really about what you do, not that piece of paper.

So I tell my oldest, forget going to Princeton or Yale. College is supposed to be fun and enjoyable and hard work. A blend. I tell him, I want you to have these three important things in college and if you learn how to do them all well, you're gonna be a success in life:

• Go to school, get a degree, and do well in your grades. Excel in your school work.
  • Fit into the community. Interact. Whether it be fraternities or clubs or volunteer or political or athletic organizations, become a part of the community and learn how to socially interact with all forms of people.
  • Manage your life. For the first time, it's all on you. You set the alarm. You determine when laundry gets done. When you eat. Do you study or go to happy hour? Learn how to manage your life and balance life's responsibilities with school work and the desire to have fun. Master this balance.

I tell him, if you master these three things - academic, social, and balancing time and life's responsibilities, you'll be a success on the back end. And it won't matter if you get that degree from Ohio State, Harvard, TCU, or Shepherd University in the long run.

We've given our children almost identical advice.

My daughter's twin also has very high SAT scores but has had some attention and organizational skill challenges. Still has very good grades but with her IQ could have been better. I really don't want her to go to a college that's going to filled with hyper achieving brainiacs and be super challenging. Why do that to yourself?

Unfortunately where we live, in our school district in particular, a large number of kids are hyper focused on the prestige aspect of it. As much as I've tried to talk them out of it the peer pressure is strong. Of course we could say "No, you aren't going there even if you get in" but they've been great kids, worked very hard and if they get into one of their dream schools, we'll find a way to make it happen. In any case they both know that unless they choose somewhere that will give them some merit money they will have some debt. So it's up to them to decide whether it's worth it to them or not and how much they're willing to take on. I'm actually somewhat relieved that she was deferred from her binding early decision one because now she'll really get to take a hard look at the numbers before choosing.

I think the best thing is to take your civil service test and get a govt job like the post office. My friend started working there during her senior year i believe and after s couple years was making a ton of money. She did eventually goto college and work her way to the HR department.
As for your situation maybe your son could learn a trade. Plumbing / welding / electric etc etc. Master plumbers especially ones who do gas make great money. If he is really stuck on going to school then maybe you could try to talk to the dean/ president and explain your situation. The dean at my school (st Vincent) was very accessible so it is worth shot.

I would have done that too in hindsight. Or maybe been a teacher. Teachers where we live retire with 80% of their last year's salary and health benefits for life. That kind of security is immeasurably valuable if you ask me.

But you're right about trades too. A friend of mine back in Pittsburgh is a painter, built a large painting business and I would guess from his lifestyle makes 300 or 400 grand a year.

I would have done that too in hindsight. Or maybe been a teacher. Teachers where we live retire with 80% of their last year's salary and health benefits for life. That kind of security is immeasurably valuable if you ask me.

But you're right about trades too. A friend of mine back in Pittsburgh is a painter, built a large painting business and I would guess from his lifestyle makes 300 or 400 grand a year.

Being a teacher certainly has benefits, but you couldn't pay me enough to be one in today's society. Between kids spring up schools, not listening, drugs, gangs, politically and politically correct non sense it is not worth it

Being a teacher certainly has benefits, but you couldn't pay me enough to be one in today's society. Between kids spring up schools, not listening, drugs, gangs, politically and politically correct non sense it is not worth it

Don't forget the worst part by far.......the parents. There's nothing as exhilarating as having a drug addicted, mentally and physically abusive, completely dysfunctional parent who hasn't modeled one positive behavior throughout their kid's life, come in and berate you about how YOU are ******* up their kid because they are having behavioral and academic issues at school. And knowing you have to bite your tongue and take it if you don't want to get called a ******* ******* all over facebook. Usually you still do even when you bite your tongue.

Last edited:

Some schools have their quotas and agendas. It will not surprise me if they receive money or political favors for advancing a minority type of cause such as BLM.

It could work you if a school has a quota of ADHD students. Just saying...

My advice is for your son to go to a community college for two years. Let your son get used to school, and if he's close enough to home, you can help him. After two years he can transfer to the University of Cincinnati.

Best of luck.

If I were 18, I'd take all the free classes offered. such as:
https://alison.com/course/introduction-to-drones

yeah, drones. wtf? no, really. look at delivery and logistic companies. more of them are moving to drone delivery. at the age of 18, knowing all the components of a drone, including how to build, and repair, would be beneficial...

and also take all the free online computer programming classes:
Java - https://www.udemy.com/java-tutorial/
C++ - https://www.sololearn.com/Course/CPlusPlus/
Visual Basic - https://mva.microsoft.com/en-us/training-courses/absolute-beginners-for-vb-update-8297

and take a communications class. primarily to know how to speak to groups of people, which is different than one-on-one. and know how to effectively communicate what you want and how to get it from the person who can give it to you (hiring person, boss, supervisor, etc).

then take a management class. which would increase your ability to communicate and govern yourself as well as others.

combine all those and you're good to go.

unless you're some ******** with a cardboard personality and likes inserting the alphabet into math. then you can just be a loser actuary or some bullshit loser job.