• Please be aware we've switched the forums to their own URL. (again) You'll find the new website address to be www.steelernationforum.com Thanks
  • Please clear your private messages. Your inbox is close to being full.

Conference Championship Thread

tapeANaspirin2it

Contributor
Reaction score
May as well discuss these unimportant non Steeler games

Chiefs at Ravens 3:00 CBS Ravens -4.5 o/u 44.5

This should be a great game. This is KC's 6th straight Championship game. Reid took the Eagle to the NFC Championship 5 times. So Reid has 11 Championship appearances and a 2-2 Super Bowl record. In 25 years, Reid has missed the playoff just 6 times. Of his 19 playoff seasons, he went 1 and out only 5 times.

This year is one of Reid's best coaching jobs. The Chiefs lack firepower but they just keep winning. A few years ago they were a high flying offense and now that are about defense.

The ravens defense has been great this year. Their offense has been better with Zay Flowers and an OC that knows how to design pass plays. The Chiefs have Kelce in the middle. The ravens defense is best up the middle with Smith and Queen and LB and Hamilton at safety.

The ravens are a bully defense. Most QBs crack and make mistake.. Mahomes won't crack but without a real deep threat. he may not have anywhere to go with the ball. Rashee Rice looks good as a rookie but their other WRs are hit or miss. They've dropped a ton of balls. Last week Valdez-Scantling stepped up with 2 big plays. They need that again. I do think you can get some deep shots on the ravens if the QB gets enough protection or extends the play.

I'm rooting for the Chiefs, but I have a feeling the Chiefs lack of a reliable #2 WRs is going to bite them and the Ravens win a tough one.

Lions at 49ers 6:30 FOX 49ers -7 o/u 51.5

Is Deebo Samuel playing? It appears he will, but will he be healthy enough to be effective? I think that's the game. Without Deebo, the 49er offense is much easier to defend. The Lions secondary is weak. Without Deebo, they can clamp down more on the run and the secondary is less exposed. With a health Deebo, the 49ers have too many weapons for the Lions to defend.

Brock Purdy joins a club with Big Ben and Mark Sanchez and the only 3 QBs to start the Championship game in each of their first 2 seasons. Purdy was not good last week throwing in the rain.

Detroit needs DE Aidan Hutchinson to dominate. Not in the fake made up stats MIles Garrett way, but in the real life TJ Watt way.

I like Detroit's chances except it means believing in Goff against a tough defense. I just can't do it. I think Detroit bites some kneecaps and makes it a game but Goff makes some mistakes and 49ers win. Also, Dan Campbell has been very aggressive with the anayltics. It's mostly worked for him. He may be due for a big gamble to come up short and sink them.

If the games suck, at least we can look forward to the remake of Roadhouse on amazon prime. The trailer looks good.

Possible heavy rain for the Rats - Swifts game.

I think there is a pretty good chance the Lions get routed by 2+ scores. Their secondary looked bad against Mayfield last week and Purdy is a far better QB. I also do not see them being able to run well enough on the 49ers to take pressure of off Goff.

I would love to see them pull it off for their fans, though.

Chiefs and Ravens could go either way. The Ravens have the better overall team, but they depend a lot on the blitz and Mahomes has historically eaten it up. Their CB1 is also banged up.

The Chiefs do not give up many big plays on defense. Can the Ravens consistently move the ball and score without the splash plays?

Though Jackson is playing at an MVP level, one kind of has to give the advantage to Mahomes over Jackson due to Mahomes vast experience on this stage.

Saying that, it has gotten to the point it was with the Patriots and Brady/Belichick in that it is getting boring seeing the Chiefs and Mahomes/Reid here every ******* year.

The addition of Taylor Swift almost makes it nauseating.

Go Swifts and Lions!

Hopefully, Gay is at full strength today. He was the Chiefs spotter on Allen last week. Once he got hurt, Allen was able to run more. If Gay is healthy, I am sure they will do the same thing with Lamar.

The injury to Thuney the LG for the Chiefs is big considering the Ravens front seven and Pacheco's ankle and Gay's injury make them questionable.
Andrews may play but I think Jackson has improved in the passing game because he's not focused on his go to guy. Not saying Andrews is a negative if he plays, just saying Baltimore will be fine regardless.

Have to give Baltimore the edge.

As far as the NFC game, weather in Santa Clara around 70 with no rain and that should help Purdy. Although Samuels will play, his shoulder is still screwed up. As was said in the original post, an ineffective Deboo will hurt the 49ers but this team loves the middle of the field and that's the achilles heal of the Lion's D. I'm guessing Ravens vs. 49ers in two weeks.

I can’t believe I am saying this, but I hope the rats win today so we don’t have to hear about Swift and the Kelce’s for the next 2 weeks. Then I hope the rats get creamed…preferably by the Lions.

Tape, you mentioned Mahomes but you didn't mention Jackson who had an excellent regular season and an impressive playoff performance against the Texans.

You've called Jackson a system QB and game manager.

Do you stand by those comments before today's game?

KC by 3 or less. Mahomes is a little better than Lamar and Reid is better than hairball. Kelce is that intangible....the guy that'll come back to the ball then break it for a 40yd td.

Would like Team Ford to win, just don't have the overall talent tho.

Somebody needs to beat the Niners tho... Don't need another 6 SB winning team.

KC by 3 or less. Mahomes is a little better than Lamar and Reid is better than hairball. Kelce is that intangible....the guy that'll come back to the ball then break it for a 40yd td.

Would like Team Ford to win, just don't have the overall talent tho.

Somebody needs to beat the Niners tho... Don't need another 6 SB winning team.
I always liked the organization being the top of the class in super bowl victories. But the pats have tied us and what's the difference if SF does. If the Steelers can't get their act together and win even a playoff game, we're going to be surpassed eventually, maybe next year. I'm done being concerned about other teams' success, I'm worried that we're becoming an afterthought or already are.

I would never root for the Ratbirds. I have no issues with the Chiefs. I'm pulling for a Chiefs - Lions SB with the Lions winning it all. It probably won't happen that way but I'm hoping it does. At least get the Ratbirds and 9ers beat before the SB.

Tape, you mentioned Mahomes but you didn't mention Jackson who had an excellent regular season and an impressive playoff performance against the Texans.

You've called Jackson a system QB and game manager.

Do you stand by those comments before today's game?

I mention Mahomes not Lamar because the Chiefs offense is all Mahomes. Just like the Bills is all Josh Allen. The Ravens have a much better overall team with OL and weapons so there isn’t as much weight on the QB. If Lamar got injured in the 1st quarter, I think Ravens can still win and maybe even win the Super Bowl. If Mahomes gets injured, the chiefs have almost no chance and probably get blown out.

Lamar’s legs make him more than a game manager but I still don’t think he’s a great passer. If Lamar and CJ Stroud switched places this year, I think the Ravens are in the same place and Houston would have struggled to win 6 games. Houston’s OL is not very good. Stroud made quick reads and lots of tight window throws and anticipatory throws. Lamar still struggles with that and behind a bad OL, I think he’d be a turnover machine.

Lamar may have a good game today. I picked them to win. I still think there are 7 or 8 better QBs in the league. Brock Purdy may throw 4 TD today. I’m not going to all of a sudden think he’s a top QB either.

My opinion may change. Players improve. Steve Young started his career running around like an squirrel and developed into one of the best pocket passers ever. Same with Elway. I feel Elway is overrated. He made a ton of plays but was erratic and didn’t become a great QB until later when he settled down and became a better pocket passer. Lamar reminds me of Elway.

Lamar is about to win MVP in a season where he had 29 total TD and Josh Allen had 44. I don’t think he’ll lose sleep over my opinion that he’s the 9th best QB. It appears lots of others give him plenty of love.

Taylor swift brings in the viewers. NFL Executives love the eyeballs on tvs.