• Please be aware we've switched the forums to their own URL. (again) You'll find the new website address to be www.steelernationforum.com Thanks
  • Please clear your private messages. Your inbox is close to being full.

Day 3 - Draft Day

Quick out of his stance. Natural bender with athletic, coordinated movement. Light on his feet and can work his hips. Keeps his hands inside and can pop and recoil. Shuffles, slides and mirrors. Gets to the second level with ease and can wheel around the edge as a puller. Durable, versatile 51-game starter -- has experience playing all across the line. Highly respected, passionate, no-nonsense vocal leader.

Sounds like a good utility line player we usually love.

I'm a little familiar with Johnson. He needs to bulk up some. His shoulders are thin. Needs to get on the Shawne Merriman weight plan.

That's pretty good value to get Abberderis there by the Packers.

Johnson is ho hum. Tombert will sell his versatility until the cows come home. And in two years, he'll still be a fringe roster player.

from walter football on our 5th round picks:

Pittsburgh Steelers: Shaq Richardson, CB, Arizona: B+ Grade
Shaq Richardson was seen by some as a fourth-rounder, so this is decent value. Richardson is a tall corner, which Pittsburgh likes, and he happens to fill a huge need on the roster. The Steelers had to improve this area earlier.

Pittsburgh Steelers: Wesley Johnson, C/OT/G, Vanderbilt: B+ Grade
Some figured the Steelers would go offensive line earlier, but that wasn't very realistic because it wasn't such a need. Depth had to be addressed though, and Wesley Johnson can play most of the positions on the front. Solid pick.

I wanted Laurent Duvernay-Tardif, not going to state I did not, but I can see why they picked Wesley Johnson. His arm length is over 33", has big hands (over 10"). Uses a good hand strike. Good athlete, I saw him as more of a finesse tackle and I still think he is. Best fit is left tackle. Zone capable, maybe the most zone capable of all the linemen because he can....and get this because he can do it....he can cut block the backside and not flop around like a tuna on a boat. One of the few guys that played Jadeveon Clowney and did not have a TE/RB stacked on his shoulder all the time. He held his own against him too, was kind of surprised. Scrappy player. Tenacious. Plays hard. I think this is a Munchak type of LT. And, while some might not like this, could take the LT position away from Beachum.

By the numbers... this guy is exceptionally athletic.

I do not know this for sure... but Munchak has to know this guy. A relatively unknown interior lineman from Nashville?

Wesley Johnson
School: Vanderbilt
Position: C
Positive: Four-year starter awarded all-conference honors as a senior. Lined up at left tackle, center, and guard for Vanderbilt. Versatile position blocker who plays with a nasty attitude. Makes good use of angles, stays square, and keeps the defender in front of him. Keeps his head on a swivel, shows good vision, and works well with teammates. Patient in pass protection, effectively gets his hands into defenders, and controls them at the point of attack. Blocks with good lean, displays quickness, and plays through the whistle.
Negative: Lacks footwork sliding out off the edge and the overall lateral range needed to play left tackle. Does not possess the dominant base and gets pushed back off the line. Beaten by speedy edge rushers.
Analysis: Johnson was durable and versatile at Vanderbilt, and he finished his career at the all-important left tackle position. Better off inside, his NFL career could hinge on his ability to play the center position.

I wanted Laurent Duvernay-Tardif, not going to state I did not, but I can see why they picked Wesley Johnson. His arm length is over 33", has big hands (over 10"). Uses a good hand strike. Good athlete, I saw him as more of a finesse tackle and I still think he is. Best fit is left tackle. Zone capable, maybe the most zone capable of all the linemen because he can....and get this because he can do it....he can cut block the backside and not flop around like a tuna on a boat. One of the few guys that played Jadeveon Clowney and did not have a TE/RB stacked on his shoulder all the time. He held his own against him too, was kind of surprised. Scrappy player. Tenacious. Plays hard. I think this is a Munchak type of LT. And, while some might not like this, could take the LT position away from Beachum.
yes, did well against Clowney and apparently the rest of the all universe SEC....Beachum with pedigree.

Good information, sir. Thank you...

By the numbers... this guy is exceptionally athletic.

I do not know this for sure... but Munchak has to know this guy. A relatively unknown interior lineman from Nashville?

BINGO>>>>>>>>

Then we can move Beachum to RT and improve both positions.

more mediocre position flexibility linemen

Do you expect differently in the fifth round? Munchak probably liked the guy and you had to figure he would get a lineman to work with at some point. If the Steelers get a flex lineman to add quality depth at this point, that is fine by me.

yes, did well against Clowney and apparently the rest of the all universe SEC....Beachum with pedigree.

He played well enough against Clowney that he flipped over to LDE in the 3rd quarter and played there the rest of the game. Once Clowney flipped, he began to dominate some, but Johnson showed he could play against better players.

And, this is not just a first round pick, but a guy many felt was once in a generation. So....Johnson has something. Gotta see if he can do it every week.

He played well enough against Clowney that he flipped over to LDE in the 3rd quarter and played there the rest of the game. Once Clowney flipped, he began to dominate some, but Johnson showed he could play against better players.

And, this is not just a first round pick, but a guy many felt was once in a generation. So....Johnson has something. Gotta see if he can do it every week.

When your the best conference in college football your gonna always have haters. He is a Steeler now, hope the kid does well.

So now who with the next pick how about Purifoy or McCullers? Maybe Skov or Smallwood???

Do you expect differently in the fifth round? Munchak probably liked the guy and you had to figure he would get a lineman to work with at some point. If the Steelers get a flex lineman to add quality depth at this point, that is fine by me.

Sure do, I prefer great raw talent that can be developed instead of mediocre eh athletes with no upside. The Canadian guy TMC was talking about for example.

Deandre Coleman, Jeffcoat, Quarles? any OLB or RB. What if Richardson is still out there?

Another corner is the way to go.... EJ Gaines or Marcus Roberson. My guess is WR Brandon Coleman or OLB/DE's Jackson Jeffcoat/James Gayle.