• Please be aware we've switched the forums to their own URL. (again) You'll find the new website address to be www.steelernationforum.com Thanks
  • Please clear your private messages. Your inbox is close to being full.

Day 3 - Draft Day

From NFL.com

STRENGTHS Rare size with vines for arms, an enormous wingspan and exceptional mass to occupy space and hold up multiple blockers -- has clear two-gap potential. Looks every bit the part with a relatively lean build for a 350-pounder -- carries his weight well with some muscle definition and good overall body thickness. Can overpower zone blockers with sheer size. Very durable and has not missed any games to injury throughout his career.

WEAKNESSES Lets his pads rise (first move is up), gets outleveraged and does not hold his ground as well as a man his size should. Gets turned out of the hole and sealed. Duck-footed short-stepper with limited play range -- does not make plays outside the box. Average body power to roll his hips and generate torque. Limited pass-rush potential (confirmed by 1.5 career sacks) -- is late off the ball, does not collapse the pocket and stays blocked too long. Must improve his hand use to disengage. Exited high school pushing 400 pounds and weight has fluctuated in the past.

DRAFT PROJECTION Rounds 2-3

BOTTOM LINE A big-boned, short-area plugger with some underachiever traits, McCullers has raw tools that could become special if he learns to harness the innate strength in his body and pairs with a DL coach who can refine his mechanics.
-Nolan Nawrocki

Projected to go in Round 2 or 3. Sheesh. Say what you want but we are getting some good value.

Mccullers???? We are absolutely HUUGGGGGGGGGEEEEEEEEE in the front three.

McLendon, Heyward, Tuitt, Thomas, Arnfeldt, Williams, Fangupo is a big group!

Looks like the front office had a plan. Big bodies upfront, fast LB's behind them staying clean and making plays.

McCullers is a good pick for NT. I was thinking Beau Allen since the steelers met with him, but McCullers has more upside. McCullers has a really long arms almost 37 inches, and he's huge 6'6 350.

The Steelers appear to be shifting philosophy to where they now want more pass rush from their DL and a NT to be just a situational guy. McCullers fits that because he's not a great every down guy.

I'm particularly liking the end of this draft, getting round 2-4 value with those late picks.

They have Tuitt listed as 6-7 313 on the official roster. Man, we've got some big ol' boys up front, now that's what I was dreaming of heading into the draft - completely rebuilding this D-line. Wow.

Tuitt, Stephon DE 6-7 313 R Notre Dame

They have Tuitt listed as 6-7 313 on the official roster. Man, we've got some big ol' boys up front, now that's what I was dreaming of heading into the draft - completely rebuilding this D-line. Wow.

Tuitt, Stephon DE 6-7 313 R Notre Dame

He was 6054 (I think) and 308 at the combine. McCullers was 6070-352.

The ESPN analyst that just spoke said he really loved the Steelers draft. This should send half the board into paroxysms of rage, he said the guy who has the best chance of making a Pro Bowl in year 1......Dri Archer as a return man ha ha ha ha. I think that's probably pretty far fetched but just reading it in print certainly should send some people running for their blood pressure meds in a hurry lol.

The 2 guys grading the teams' drafts gave Pittsburgh an A and a B respectively.

I mean the WR from Rutgers.

Well, he gets pushed around in the run game and does not rush the passer either.

Nah, not a great athlete, many feel his upside is limited.

Man, I hope they have been working the UDFA phone lines for awhile. There is going to be some very good undrafted talent.

The ESPN analyst that just spoke said he really loved the Steelers draft. This should send half the board into paroxysms of rage, he said the guy who has the best chance of making a Pro Bowl in year 1......Dri Archer as a return man ha ha ha ha. I think that's probably pretty far fetched but just reading it in print certainly should send some people running for their blood pressure meds in a hurry lol.

Not mine. I agree with it.

Furthermore, I thing if we get with the screen and shallow cross game on 3rd downs, he'll have a drive changing impact.

Well, he gets pushed around in the run game and does not rush the passer either.

Nah, not a great athlete, many feel his upside is limited.

Lots of places gave him a 3-4th round grade. I was just curious if there were red flags I haven't read about.

Steelers draft getting a good bit of praise from multiple draft analysts. These will be the same guys bashing them in 3 years when the players don't pan out.

The one thing that they have done late, that I like, is get off the visitor list and take height/weight/speed/power guys. McCullers is not a guy even associated with the Steelers in any visits. None. Yet, a believed 2nd-3rd round slides and they get off the list and take him. Now, I am not a huge fan of McCullers, he is stiff and needs a lot of work, but nobody pushes the guy off the line. If he takes to coaching, maybe you get something.

That is much better than taking someone that lacks an NFL body but overachieves, like a tiny *** runningback.