• Please be aware we've switched the forums to their own URL. (again) You'll find the new website address to be www.steelernationforum.com Thanks
  • Please clear your private messages. Your inbox is close to being full.

Day 3 Targets

Size is a concern, but you have to love the speed and quickness. Looking at scouting reports, it seemed many had him as a third-round prospect. He should be versatile in this offense and with two receivers taken, I do wonder if the Steelers sign Johnson this offseason.

Not addressing the worst O-Line in the league. Instead, drafting Dri Archer 2.0 because that worked out so very well.

Colbert can't leave fast enough for me. I hate this draft.

Steelers just told you that they think the OL is fixed. They also told you that the secondary is good enough.

Austin is a good pick. I think they needed a possible replacement for DJ next year if they can't sign him. But passsing up a possible starting OT? I don't know about that.

If the Steelers know that Tuitt is coming back then the DL is in great shape, although they could use a backup NT. But maybe Heyward will end his career at NT if he starts to slow.

If Tuitt is not coming back, then DL is a concern. Loudermilk looks to at least be a solid depth guy but still unknown if he'll be a quality starter. Without Tuitt in the mix, there's not much depth. Wormley i guess improved enough to be a depth guy.

I hope a NT falls to them later
The Steelers told you they don't value the offensive line when they passed on linemen through the first two rounds of last year's draft and signed a part-time player to start at center and Okorafor to start at right tackle this year.

Austin is immediately an upgrade to Ray Ray who played quite a bit despite being pretty mediocre.

File away for later. Former walkon at Penn State, Drew Harlaub ran a 4.22 at the PSU pro day. He was technically a S but never played. He was a great special teamer. Steelers and most teams look for special teamers in Rd 7.

They addressed OL plenty in free agency....most likely so it was something they don't need to worry about much in the draft.

Austin seems perfect for the Matt Canada system. Also shows that they think they have a QB that can get the ball downfield.
Watching his YouTube videos there was alot of screens and shallow crosses, sounds exactly like what we like to do

The Steelers told you they don't value the offensive line when they passed on linemen through the first two rounds of last year's draft and signed a part-time player to start at center and Okorafor to start at right tackle this year.

True, but I have a feeling that they were surprised by the decastro retirement. That's the only way last offseason makes sense. Sure, they had cap issues because the cap was frozen due to covid, but we knew it would be rough.

This year we heard they were focused on improving the OL and with free agency, they did. The OL right now should at least be adequate, which is a huge improvement, but I was still hoping for at least 1 draft pick that had a chance to be an upgrade. Walker could have been that and with no picks until rd 6, it was the last realistic chance to get an OL upgrade.

Howell is gone.. just another colt mccoy… overrated and lasted till the 4th round then drafted by a team that sucks at drafting qbs

True, but I have a feeling that they were surprised by the decastro retirement. That's the only way last offseason makes sense. Sure, they had cap issues because the cap was frozen due to covid, but we knew it would be rough.

This year we heard they were focused on improving the OL and with free agency, they did. The OL right now should at least be adequate, which is a huge improvement, but I was still hoping for at least 1 draft pick that had a chance to be an upgrade. Walker could have been that and with no picks until rd 6, it was the last realistic chance to get an OL upgrade.
I don't think Walker was going to beat out Okorafor this year and the Steelers should be in position to take a top tackle prospect in the first or second round next year to complete this offensive youth movement.

Also green and moore could have drastically improved… rookies struggling tgen getting better is literally how most players careers go.. few are just lights out from day 1…

Come on… trade up into the fifth.. use a pick from next year if you must, then recoup it by trading a qb later in camp

You figure with the weapons the Steelers have, Austin should have the ability to create some YAC on slants this season. Looks like he's a good catch and run guy.

Don't forget we have Adams at NT. He will be better this year...

He showed some upside but he's still a projection to be good. It's like saying they are OK at WR because they have Boykin and Anthony Miller.

Best left.

WR- Calvin Austin III I don’t feel falls to us but if he did we’d have to consider going WR again. Rangy little human joystick with some good speed.
I look at him as a poor mans DeSean Jackson.

Last edited:
I don't think Walker was going to beat out Okorafor this year and the Steelers should be in position to take a top tackle prospect in the first or second round next year to complete this offensive youth movement.

Possibly but OL takes time to develop. I would have rathered get 1 this year and let him develop for next year. Also, while Moore looked good for a rookie, he's still an unknown and so is Chukes after all these years. Joe Haeg is the only real backup.

Every mock i did where I took a QB in rd 1 came up with the steelers missing out on either OL or DB.

Now that they drafted 2 WRs, there is no way they should start anybody but Pickett. Starting Trubisky makes no sense at all. You drafted the guy ready to play, so let him play. Only way you play Trubisky is of Pickett looks lost and I doubt he'll look lost because the Canada offense is simple. Plus, Trubisky is new to the system as well.

The Steeler still have a good bit of money. Don’t be surprised to add a few FA that are cut after draft and during camp. Vets then can come in and play immediately. I don’t think any money is guaranteed until week 1 roster in case some is cut. ie. Edmunds or Chunks

This draft coverage sucks. It used to be that a pick would be made, they would spend several minutes discussing the pick, then they would start speculating on the next pick. Now, they do a little bit of that but then push it to the side so they can do stupid skits and jokes arond with each other.

You would think the the NFL network would have in depth coverage but they don't. Even their pre draft coverage sucks. They would have draft shows every day for the past months and they'd just talk about the same 2 guys. WTF? If i'm watching NFL network in the offseason, i'm not some casual fan looking for fluff pieces. I want to know about round 3 and 4 guys and not just the top 5 at QB, WR and DB.

In general, this is why independent podcasts and youtubers are able to thrive, because major media sucks. It's all geared toward low attention span people who won't read anything longer than a tweet or watch anything longer than a tik tok vid.

The Steeler still have a good bit of money. Don’t be surprised to add a few FA that are cut after draft and during camp. Vets then can come in and play immediately. I don’t think any money is guaranteed until week 1 roster in case some is cut. ie. Edmunds or Chunks

Honey Badger still a possibility?

Possibly but OL takes time to develop. I would have rathered get 1 this year and let him develop for next year. Also, while Moore looked good for a rookie, he's still an unknown and so is Chukes after all these years. Joe Haeg is the only real backup.

Every mock i did where I took a QB in rd 1 came up with the steelers missing out on either OL or DB.

Now that they drafted 2 WRs, there is no way they should start anybody but Pickett. Starting Trubisky makes no sense at all. You drafted the guy ready to play, so let him play. Only way you play Trubisky is of Pickett looks lost and I doubt he'll look lost because the Canada offense is simple. Plus, Trubisky is new to the system as well.
I understand that point of view and I am taking at least one offensive lineman with one of our remaining picks. I believe you should draft an offensive lineman every year. However, the Steelers don't have any blue chippers Moore (4th), Dotson (4th), Green (3rd), Cole (low-mid tier) FA, Daniels (closest thing to a blue chip, but needs to settle into a position), Okorafor (3rd). Give me a top OT prospect next year or sign a mid-tier free agent next year and draft a blue chip interior lineman.

I just hope our new OL coach can get the most out of this unit this year. I also wonder what they're going to do with Green. Unless he really improved, I hope they give him a chance to compete against Dotson for a starting spot at guard. Roethlisberger seems to believe he can be a very good player at that spot.

This draft coverage sucks. It used to be that a pick would be made, they would spend several minutes discussing the pick, then they would start speculating on the next pick. Now, they do a little bit of that but then push it to the side so they can do stupid skits and jokes arond with each other.

You would think the the NFL network would have in depth coverage but they don't. Even their pre draft coverage sucks. They would have draft shows every day for the past months and they'd just talk about the same 2 guys. WTF? If i'm watching NFL network in the offseason, i'm not some casual fan looking for fluff pieces. I want to know about round 3 and 4 guys and not just the top 5 at QB, WR and DB.

In general, this is why independent podcasts and youtubers are able to thrive, because major media sucks. It's all geared toward low attention span people who won't read anything longer than a tweet or watch anything longer than a tik tok vid.
Great post. The draft went mainstream with the three-day event. Bring in pure football people and guys who study the draft exclusively for this event for the major broadcasts.