• Please be aware we've switched the forums to their own URL. (again) You'll find the new website address to be www.steelernationforum.com Thanks
  • Please clear your private messages. Your inbox is close to being full.

Death of the Republican party

EdReed4Prez

Reaction score
And all these people saying "I will never vote for another moderate" are just going to get Hillary elected. Congrats.

We won't be getting Hillary elected. The Rep party will if they run a RINO again.

MT~Forged

Forefather
Contributor
Reaction score
And all these people saying "I will never vote for another moderate" are just going to get Hillary elected. Congrats.

If the Republicans can see their way to picking one of the two available R Paul's, I will be more than happy to help out. Otherwise you are on your own to fail AGAIN. I do honestly believe that if the "R"'s trot out another **** assed candidate, the 3rd party will see a bigger percentage of the vote.

CharlesDavenport

Reaction score
Candidates like Romney are incredibly demotivating to conservatives. You'll get more no shows than third party votes.

oneforthebus

Contributor
Reaction score
I think you guys live in some fantasy world where there are huge numbers of people in this country lying dormant, anxiously waiting to vote for an old ultra right wing white guy. My beliefs are about as conservative (fiscally anyway) as they get, however the demographics have changed. Romney was right about one thing...you are not going to convince the 47% to vote against their handouts. We need someone with charisma who will appeal to women, Hispanics, at least some kind of pull beyond "I will slash everything!". I don't think Romney is it in this election, I won't vote for him in the primary (as I didn't last time) and I hope he isn't nominated. But if it's him vs. Hillary vs.someone else who's polling at 3%, I'll be pulling the lever for him again.

MT~Forged

Forefather
Contributor
Reaction score
I think you guys live in some fantasy world where there are huge numbers of people in this country lying dormant, anxiously waiting to vote for an old ultra right wing white guy. My beliefs are about as conservative (fiscally anyway) as they get, however the demographics have changed. Romney was right about one thing...you are not going to convince the 47% to vote against their handouts. We need someone with charisma who will appeal to women, Hispanics, at least some kind of pull beyond "I will slash everything!". I don't think Romney is it in this election, I won't vote for him in the primary (as I didn't last time) and I hope he isn't nominated. But if it's him vs. Hillary vs.someone else who's polling at 3%, I'll be pulling the lever for him again.

And you will lose AGAIN, because the hardline conservatives will not vote for the **** they try to feed to us. They will stay home, write in, or vote 3rd party.

So, tell me who's fault a loss will really be?

oneforthebus

Contributor
Reaction score
And you will lose AGAIN, because the hardline conservatives will not vote for the **** they try to feed to us. They will stay home, write in, or vote 3rd party.

So, tell me who's fault a loss will really be?

Again, how many "hardline conservatives" do you think we can pick up by putting up Rand Paul? Will it be a huge wave, enough to overcome all the moderates who stay home and the independents who switch to Hillary? How many do you think are really out there? Do you understand that many former swing states are now solid blue, that many former solid red states are purple? There are people begging for more conservative candidates and they are vocal, but their numbers are shrinking, not growing. Do you think Rand Paul can win Pennsylvania? Virginia? Ohio? Even North Carolina? Sorry, I think you are living in the past. We will not win this by picking the most hardline conservative we can. We will win this by picking someone who can win on demographics and personality. Sad but I think true.

Vincent

@#$% the 'narrative'
Reaction score
We won't be getting Hillary elected. The Rep party will if they run a RINO again.

That's who they are... RINOs. They can't stand conservatives. They're never going to nominate another conservative. They seek all comers to their "big tent" BUT conservatives. They actually believe they'll draw "moderates" and casual dems with that nonsense. And that alienates conservatives so they don't show up.

The sad problem is that we have a simple choice between the RINO or the candidate that continues to destroy the Republic out of their hatred of all the Republic stands for. And as ugly as it sounds, not voting for the RINO elects the candidate that hates the Republic and all it stands for. My concern is that another of those and its over.

So, yes, actually you will be electing hillary.

But if it's him vs. Hillary vs.someone else who's polling at 3%, I'll be pulling the lever for him again.

That would be the only choice.

Last edited:

oneforthebus

Contributor
Reaction score
I do honestly believe that if the "R"'s trot out another **** assed candidate, the 3rd party will see a bigger percentage of the vote.

Ross Perot was as close as we are likely to get in our lifetimes. And all he did was help deliver us Bill Clinton.

CharlesDavenport

Reaction score
You are not a conservative, but thank you for not voting for Hillary.

EdReed4Prez

Reaction score

You will never pull from the Dem base with Dem lite. They'll just for for their Dem. The key is energizing the Conservative base. There's more of us than most think. You just won't get them to the polls if the option is one Democrat or Democrat part two.

oneforthebus

Contributor
Reaction score
You will never pull from the Dem base with Dem lite. They'll just for for their Dem. The key is energizing the Conservative base. There's more of us than most think. You just won't get them to the polls if the option is one Democrat or Democrat part two.

There are less of us than you think, I believe. I used to think the way you did, and I wish I was wrong. We have become outnumbered. We have to mitigate the damage any way we can.

EdReed4Prez

Reaction score
There are less of us than you think, I believe. I used to think the way you did, and I wish I was wrong. We have become outnumbered. We have to mitigate the damage any way we can.

Slow swirl down the toilet is still a trip down the *******. Better to look for a fix than contribute to the decline. I'm not sure if the Republican party wants to fix anything. If thats the case than voting 3rd party hastens their demise. Status quo doesn't help.

Vincent

@#$% the 'narrative'
Reaction score
Again, how many "hardline conservatives" do you think we can pick up by putting up Rand Paul? Will it be a huge wave, enough to overcome all the moderates who stay home and the independents who switch to Hillary? How many do you think are really out there? Do you understand that many former swing states are now solid blue, that many former solid red states are purple? There are people begging for more conservative candidates and they are vocal, but their numbers are shrinking, not growing. Do you think Rand Paul can win Pennsylvania? Virginia? Ohio? Even North Carolina? Sorry, I think you are living in the past. We will not win this by picking the most hardline conservative we can. We will win this by picking someone who can win on demographics and personality. Sad but I think true.

Pew says that 26.3% of the population are "Evangelicals". That makes about 83 million less about 20% too young to vote, or 66 million. That number is in line with most quotes regarding the "Evangelical" vote. 54% say they're Republican, or 36 million.

129,235,558 voted in the 2012 presidential election. 23% (or 29M) of the vote were "Evangelicals". Statistically, just over 36 million "Evangelicals" didn't show up. Let's suppose that those that did show up were all Republican. That tells us that around 7 million presumed Republican "Evangelicals" didn't show up. Had those votes shown up, the overwhelming majority would have gone to Romney. Let's say 70%, and that's light. Nearly 5 million votes would have made the popular vote a statistical tie.

To answer your question, there are at least 36 million votes to be attracted by a conservative message carried by a believable candidate. But the pubbies don't seem interested in their votes because they fall all over themselves trying to attract "moderates".

Actually, the entire 66 million "Evangelicals" are available to the right message. But that message is anathema to both parties.

oneforthebus

Contributor
Reaction score
Slow swirl down the toilet is still a trip down the *******. Better to look for a fix than contribute to the decline.

A robust economy which I believe Romney was far, far more capable of delivering, would go a long way towards reversing it. But, we've been over and ever this many times. Time to agree to disagree.

oneforthebus

Contributor
Reaction score
Pew says that 26.3% of the population are "Evangelicals". That makes about 83 million less about 20% too young to vote, or 66 million. That number is in line with most quotes regarding the "Evangelical" vote. 54% say they're Republican, or 36 million.

129,235,558 voted in the 2012 presidential election. 23% (or 29M) of the vote were "Evangelicals". Statistically, just over 36 million "Evangelicals" didn't show up. Let's suppose that those that did show up were all Republican. That tells us that around 7 million presumed Republican "Evangelicals" didn't show up. Had those votes shown up, the overwhelming majority would have gone to Romney. Let's say 70%, and that's light. Nearly 5 million votes would have made the popular vote a statistical tie.

To answer your question, there are at least 36 million votes to be attracted by a conservative message carried by a believable candidate. But the pubbies don't seem interested in their votes because they fall all over themselves trying to attract "moderates".

Actually, the entire 66 million "Evangelicals" are available to the right message. But that message is anathema to both parties.

If you don't think that strongly appealing to evangelicals would lose moderates, independents and women in droves, I think you're mistaken. I think the pro-life issue still resonates with many (although the Todd Akins of the world certainly don't help) but gay marriage is dead in the water. Over the next few years as older people die off it's a complete non-issue. This used to be an issue that could deliver elections. It just isn't anymore. That's what I mean by living in the past.

DBS1970

I hate you all and I blame Ark for that.
Contributor
Reaction score

The last time the GOP ran an actual conservative they won in a huge landslide. Remember Reagan?

Liberty and small government is the answer to our problems not big government in moderation.

Super Dave

Forefather
Contributor
Reaction score
Looks like the GOPe has decided to alter the primary schedule. Several states, blue states and states with a heavy Mormon population have moved ahead of South Carolina, which in the past was the Conservative Firewall.

Looks like they are clearing a path for Romney. Not surprising, especially after what they did to defeat the Tea Party candidate in Mississippi.

#1 priority for grass roots conservatives should be to fight the GOP at the State level and close the open primary states. Let Republicans ONLY choose their candidate, not a bunch of Smerconish Gump's (Independents) or mischievous Democrats. The Open Primary and Independents serve one purpose, to ensure a perpetual, mythical 2 party system that is nothing more than one entity, The Established Political Ruling Class. That is what is running the country now.

So after making a change at the state level, the #2 priority would be the Levin option of a Constitutional Convention

Levin’s proposal is based on Article 5 of the Constitution, which says constitutional amendments may be proposed in two ways—either by two-thirds majorities in both houses of Congress or by a convention called by two-thirds of the state legislatures.

I used to be an "Independent" then I was promoted to the 11th grade.

GOP Primary Schedule

January
Monday, January 18 Iowa caucuses
Tuesday, January 26 New Hampshire

February
Tuesday, February 2 Colorado caucuses
Minnesota caucuses
Missouri
Utah
Saturday, February 6 Nevada caucuses
Saturday, February 13 South Carolina
Tuesday, February 16 North Carolina
Tuesday, February 23 Arizona
Michigan

March
Tuesday, March 1 Colorado caucuses
Florida
Massachusetts
Oklahoma
Tennessee
Texas
Vermont
Virginia
Tuesday, March 8 Alabama
Hawaii Republican caucuses
Mississippi
Ohio
Tuesday, March 15 Illinois
Saturday, March 19 Louisiana

April
Tuesday, April 5 Maryland
Washington, DC
Wisconsin
Tuesday, April 26 Connecticut
Delaware
Pennsylvania
Rhode Island

May
Tuesday, May 3 Indiana
Tuesday, May 10 Nebraska
West Virginia
Tuesday, May 17 Kentucky
Oregon
Tuesday, May 24 Arkansas

June
Tuesday, June 7 California
Montana
New Jersey
New Mexico
South Dakota
Tuesday, June 28 Utah (tentative if law doesn't change to Feb 2)

States with no tentative dates: Georgia
Kansas
Maine
New York
Wyoming

Read more at http://www.uspresidentialelectionne...rimary-schedule-calendar/#q7s3R4GTgKGxYQps.99

Last edited:

JupiterBnG

Banned
Reaction score
I did not vote for Romney because of the R next to his name. I voted for him because he was the only person who had even a snowball's chance of keeping Obama out of office. For all of those who voted on "principle" or stayed home because you didn't like either one of them, I hope you're happy with what you got.

That's like voting to be beaten to death with a shovel because you'd rather not get beaten to death with a baseball bat.

Ron Burgundy

Reaction score
Electoral votes are what matter. Bomma won by targeting urban areas (i.e. reminding blacks to vote for the Brother) in swing states. In my county where Dems outnumber Republicans by almost 3-to-1, Romney won by about 6000 votes and McCain won by 4000.

oneforthebus

Contributor
Reaction score
The last time the GOP ran an actual conservative they won in a huge landslide. Remember Reagan?

Liberty and small government is the answer to our problems not big government in moderation.

You do realize Reagan was elected almost 35 years ago, right? You don't think demographics have changed in that time? I don't think most Dems of today realize this but even their party wouldn't have let this blatant tax and spend Marxist baby-killer anywhere near the nomination. And sorry, Rand Paul is no Reagan. Reagan won in large part because he was enormously charismatic...that's exactly what we need.

I agree with you on your second statement, but unfortunately this country is now filled with large numbers of people who don't get that. We weren't talking about who you or I would choose, we're talking about who can get elected. Neither Ron Paul or Rand Paul will ever be elected president. If one of them should win the nomination, hello Hillary. Nothing would make me happier than to be wrong about this. Unfortunately. the fact that Dems could worship this guy and others could sit home and let him get elected, and then sit back and watch him enact the largest new entitlement program in modern history and then elect him again, tells me I'm not.

Superman

You may worship me
Forefather
Contributor
Reaction score
I dont see how anyone could think RAND PAUL could do jack nor ****. he's never organized a community nor has he ever won a Nobel Peace Prize.

Lmob0621

Reaction score
You do realize Reagan was elected almost 35 years ago, right? You don't think demographics have changed in that time?
unfortunately, the majority of today's voters are voting for what is best for them (and many do it with their hands out) and not for what is best for the country.

EdReed4Prez

Reaction score
That's like voting to be beaten to death with a shovel because you'd rather not get beaten to death with a baseball bat.

The shovel has a chance to get elected. You go ahead and throw your vote away on that feather pillow.