• Please be aware we've switched the forums to their own URL. (again) You'll find the new website address to be www.steelernationforum.com Thanks
  • Please clear your private messages. Your inbox is close to being full.

Free Agents On Defense

KStilley

Registered
Reaction score
Stripping some bloated contracts and cuts, the Steelers actually have some money to sign a couple difference makers on defense.

There's no quater back that's available at pick 20 or financially available to make a difference. Leaving Rudolph at qb and impoving our offensive line through the draft.

Something that we usually don't do but hopefully Kahn and Weidl do is go all in on one defensive lineman and one corner. Christian Wilkins, the DT from Miami and Jaylon Johnson, CB from Chicago. There's Justin Madubuke that's a DE and L' Jarvius Sneed at CB. Leonard Williams DL.
Kyle Dugger at safety. There's others but drastic help is needed at the defensive line and secondary. If we get one top defensive lineman, it's a huge get.

The front office needs to go all in for two guys on defense. Draft an offensive tackle, center and inside linebacker BPA

Tomlin stated in his presser that Kenny is qb1 going into training camp.

Stripping some bloated contracts and cuts, the Steelers actually have some money to sign a couple difference makers on defense.

There's no quater back that's available at pick 20 or financially available to make a difference. Leaving Rudolph at qb and impoving our offensive line through the draft.

Something that we usually don't do but hopefully Kahn and Weidl do is go all in on one defensive lineman and one corner. Christian Wilkins, the DT from Miami and Jaylon Johnson, CB from Chicago. There's Justin Madubuke that's a DE and L' Jarvius Sneed at CB. Leonard Williams DL.
Kyle Dugger at safety. There's others but drastic help is needed at the defensive line and secondary. If we get one top defensive lineman, it's a huge get.

The front office needs to go all in for two guys on defense. Draft an offensive tackle, center and inside linebacker BPA
I would like them to address CB no 2, WR no 3, Cam's situation ( lower the cap hit by adding two voided years if I am calling it correctly) and rotate Mitch out and another QB in before the draft.

Also would like them to terminate Peterson's contract as well as Harvin and Robinson's, trade Chukes.

They can free up some of Highsmith's cap with a restructure.

I think outside of Highsmith these things need to take place.

Rudolph isn't under contract and even if they sign him, KP will have every opportunity to be the QB1. They didn't use a 1st round pick on a QB to only give him the opportunity to start for a year and a half. He will be QB1 unless he really stinks up the preseason and Rudolph looks like the 2nd coming.

No QB available at pick 20?
I’d bet there is more than 1 avaialable

If we’re talking an upgrade from Kenny, likely a handful available at 20

No QB available at pick 20?
I’d bet there is more than 1 available

If we’re talking an upgrade from Kenny, likely a handful available at 20
Maybe. If one is there and he is clearly a BPA then I think they have to pull the trigger.

They definitely need to get much better on the DL, including a big NT who can command double teams. Enough of the BS of only using 2 DL.
Unfortunately that isn't changing, that's a Tomlin staple, that's been going on for at least a decade now.

I would like them to address CB no 2, WR no 3, Cam's situation ( lower the cap hit by adding two voided years if I am calling it correctly) and rotate Mitch out and another QB in before the draft.

Also would like them to terminate Peterson's contract as well as Harvin and Robinson's, trade Chukes.

They can free up some of Highsmith's cap with a restructure.

I think outside of Highsmith these things need to take place.
All of those moves make pretty good sense but definitely get rid of Mason too!!! Mason Cole has to go.

I’d explore trading Minkah too if any value can be returned as we revamp, unless we’re planning on deploying him properly he is way overpaid and the money should be allocated elsewhere

Would love to see both coordinators upgraded, but if they’re handing him an OC then he’ll be reluctant to change DC too cuz he needs a scape goat at the ready…hello Austin your neck is on the chopping block next.

All of those moves make pretty good sense but definitely get rid of Mason too!!! Mason Cole has to go.

I’d explore trading Minkah too if any value can be returned as we revamp, unless we’re planning on deploying him properly he is way overpaid and the money should be allocated elsewhere

Would love to see both coordinators upgraded, but if they’re handing him an OC then he’ll be reluctant to change DC too cuz he needs a scape goat at the ready…hello Austin your neck is on the chopping block next.
Problem with letting Cole go is you need a replacement. If that is in free agency sure. But not sure they go that route. If it is in the draft a C would need time to get acclimated to the game. So unless they go and get a C in free agency I hang into Cole...for now.

Rudolph isn't under contract and even if they sign him, KP will have every opportunity to be the QB1. They didn't use a 1st round pick on a QB to only give him the opportunity to start for a year and a half. He will be QB1 unless he really stinks up the preseason and Rudolph looks like the 2nd coming.

This in itself is good reason RUDOLF may not be returning.

Salute the nation

Unfortunately that isn't changing, that's a Tomlin staple, that's been going on for at least a decade now.

True, and it is also an example of how they scheme their best player(s) out of the defense.

Salute the nation

True, and it is also an example of how they scheme their best player(s) out of the defense.

Salute the nation
He wants to be a Tampa 2 so bad, that's why we get killed in the middle of the field all the time, we don't have the ILB's and when you play the best running team in the NFL with the best Oline and you continually use only 2 DL vs the Browns in the playoffs, if that doesn't make him change, nothing will.

Salute the nation
Other than Cam, who has been their best player on the DL since Tuitt quit? Larry O? At this point, with all the injuries, hes giving you a couple of nice plays a season. Adams? Boy did he disappear after a solid season. I'd venture that until Benton arrived, the DL was Cam, a couple of second tier irratic players and .... nothing. They hit the OL hard last year, I'd like to see the same on the DL this year. Otherwise, 2 DL, 3 DL, it's not going to matter.

Other than Cam, who has been their best player on the DL since Tuitt quit? Larry O? At this point, with all the injuries, hes giving you a couple of nice plays a season. Adams? Boy did he disappear after a solid season. I'd venture that until Benton arrived, the DL was Cam, a couple of second tier irratic players and .... nothing. They hit the OL hard last year, I'd like to see the same on the DL this year. Otherwise, 2 DL, 3 DL, it's not going to matter.

My position was with 2DL, it gives offensive line an easier way to double either OLB, one of them being the best D player on the planet and the other a pretty dang good D player as well.

It allows an easy double team on Watt or Highsmith, without devoting extra resources, thus the Our schemeing them out……

Salute the nation

My position was with 2DL, it gives offensive line an easier way to double either OLB, one of them being the best D player on the planet and the other a pretty dang good D player as well.

It allows an easy double team on Watt or Highsmith, without devoting extra resources, thus the Our schemeing them out……

Salute the nation
And, I feel you on that.
My point was that sometimes it doesn't matter what the S-10 looks like, it comes down to how much horsepower she has.

And he's an idiot for continuing to do something that hasn't worked. Our D was definitely better when we had Big Snack in there.

Maybe. If one is there and he is clearly a BPA then I think they have to pull the trigger.
I’d wager there will be a talent at QB there better than what we have, but may not be BPA

May be a better OL, DL or CB available which are all needs as

If a QB is close to BPA they’d be foolish to not at least give a look

Problem with letting Cole go is you need a replacement. If that is in free agency sure. But not sure they go that route. If it is in the draft a C would need time to get acclimated to the game. So unless they go and get a C in free agency I hang into Cole...for now.
Can’t see any reason to keep a C that struggles as bad as he does to deliver the ball to his QB

Dude is awful and an even weaker link than Moore.

It’s not like he excels at pass or run blocking…easily replaceable imo and many 2nd-4th round picks that would be an instant upgrade as well as multiple free agents

Dude makes a lot of money opening cans of suck on the reg

Eager to see how we compare to Pats who will be doing the same thing we are. Still have faith that KP can be developed into franchise. Plenty of cap space after cuts something like 70M

Can’t see any reason to keep a C that struggles as bad as he does to deliver the ball to his QB

Dude is awful and an even weaker link than Moore.

It’s not like he excels at pass or run blocking…easily replaceable imo and many 2nd-4th round picks that would be an instant upgrade as well as multiple free agents

Dude makes a lot of money opening cans of suck on the reg
You keep him if you don't have a better option immediately. 😉

I’d wager there will be a talent at QB there better than what we have, but may not be BPA

May be a better OL, DL or CB available which are all needs as

If a QB is close to BPA they’d be foolish to not at least give a look
Close sure second round talent...no.

And, I feel you on that.
My point was that sometimes it doesn't matter what the S-10 looks like, it comes down to how much horsepower she has.

TRUE, and with all the modifications to not just the LS10, biut also the BT50, I’m packing the HP.

All good SteelBuckeye and glad you pay attention !!!!!

Salute the nation

I think as far as QB at number 20 you would most likely be talking a Bo Nix perhaps. I don’t know what y’all think of Bo but he had a pretty damn good college career.
He could be there when we pick. Just sayin’