• Please be aware we've switched the forums to their own URL. (again) You'll find the new website address to be www.steelernationforum.com Thanks
  • Please clear your private messages. Your inbox is close to being full.

From the "You Can't Make This Up" files (Seattle version)

Superman

You may worship me
Forefather
Contributor
Reaction score
http://q13fox.com/2018/06/07/seattl...be-possibly-be-used-as-a-safe-injection-site/

City Council member advocates for buying $350,000 medical van to be possibly used as safe injection site

SEATTLE -- The city of Seattle has been studying and promoting the idea of creating a safe injection site for nearly two years. Now the talk of a possible mobile version is picking up steam.

On Tuesday, Councilmember Teresa Mosqueda told Q13 News that she was not “committed” to the idea of a mobile injection site. But then on Thursday Mosqueda promoted buying a van to be used as a safe injection site after getting new details from city officials on the idea.

The van would cost about $350,000.

Mosqueda, who represents Seattle citywide, has always been supportive of a safe injection model.

In fact, many Seattle city leaders believe it can make a difference in the fight against heroin addiction.

Mosqueda says data shows that it prevents deaths and helps with outreach and that many health officials support the idea.

For that reason, many council members have been fighting to bring a brick-and-mortar site for nearly two years.

But finding the right location that meets the criteria has been challenging and perhaps one of the biggest challenges has been the pushback from many in the public.

On Thursday, during the same committee meeting, City Councilmembers Sally Bagshaw and Debora Juarez asked supporters of safe injection sites to go out into the community and educate people who oppose the idea.

“A particular group of people shows up at every one of my community meetings to come at me over that (issue); you can only do so much,” Juarez said.

Juarez also asked whether it was possible for the city to buy a piece of property and build a safe injection site. Turns out that’s not that easy either, because of the cost and shortage of real estate, according to a city official who responded to her question.

So now the conversation has evolved into whether a mobile van is an option.

A report released by Health Integration Strategist for the city stated it will cost about $1.8 million to get the van up and running and up to $2.5 million to operate a mobile safe injection model.

“We should move forward with the purchase of that van as we engage with the community of a possible location and with a reminder that it’s a fixed location, if those dollars are in hand right now, and if I am reading the information correctly, if that is the most cost-effective and most expedient way to create a potential site,” Mosqueda said.

With city leaders now under heavy scrutiny over spending accountability Q13 News asked Mosqueda whether spending $350,000 in taxpayer money for a van was the right thing to do before community engagement and even before finding a location for a mobile safe consumption site.

Mosqueda emphasized that the community would get to engage and that the City Council has not reached a decision on the mobile van idea.

But she says it’s important to set a timeline on this issue so that if a brick-and-mortar location is not feasible, that a mobile one is at least an option.

Q13 News also tried to dig into where the money would all come from.

According to the Department of Human Services, the money for the van could be coming from the $1.3 million already budgeted for a safe injection model, which the city is now calling a Community Health Engagement Location.

But the operating cost of up to $2.5 million has not been secured as of yet.

They will just raise the tax on soda again....easy peezy!!!

Why don't they spend the money on methadone clinics for those hooked on heroin? Doses would be monitored, they would be off the heroin, and the methadone doses could eventually be tapered down and get them clean.

We'd be better off if heroin addicts would just overdose and die. And I say this as someone whose cousin was a heroin addict.
I have a disease too. If they want to give me free insulin then we can talk.

How to fix a gasoline fire? Dump more gas on fire. Bring in supply trucks to keep all fires going strong. All good clean cans.

I think I know where the city will park that van:

tenor.gif

Not sure what I think about this. I'm wavering on my thoughts about it. Hate to sound like I'm considering an issue like this, but needles and drugs have been a long standing problem in that area and they have been working to find solutions for decades. Hell Nirvana sang about it in their rock classic "Come As You Are"

"Come doused in mud, soaked in bleach
As I want you to be"

The soaked in bleach reference to the advice being given back then to heroin addicts to soak their needles in bleach to try to prevent the spread of diseases.

I like the idea of the methadone clinics. I don't know if I like a "safe house" for shooting up, but it DOES provide officials access to these addicts and maybe they can give them help at the spot, convert or save a few. We do have an epidemic at hand and I'm open to exploring options. Though it does seem wrong to spend $300,000 in taxpayer dollars.

We'd be better off if heroin addicts would just overdose and die. And I say this as someone whose cousin was a heroin addict.

I grew up around heroin addicts in the 70's. I earned a fear of needles from the experience. It is truly a scary and pathetic addiction.

Seriously who in their right mind thinks this is a good idea

Guess everyone is different, I have a family member that was a real mess until about 6 months ago. With the methadone he can't use heroin. He's able to function on it and has actually found steady work again.

You can actually have a rational, logical conversation with him now.

As far as I'm concerned, it's saved his life. Baby steps, but he's moving in the right direction. I don't think addicts are necessarily bad people, just stupid in their actions.

BTW, Walmart sells Novolin for about $20 a vial, not free, but cheap by today's standards.

Seattle will be Los Angeles, without the palm trees, in 10 years. Bet on it.

I feel that everyone deserves a second chance, but after that then all bets are off. All the drug overdoses are taking away emergency resources (emts, police, etc etc.....) I know an EMT from somerset who gave a lady narcam then about 5 hours later the same lady ODed again and had to be revived yet again. If you talk to EMTs or police a lot of their calls are due to drug related issues. It is a terrible epidemic going on in the country right now. I really dont know what the solution is. I am not really very social and without thinking about it very hard I can think of 5 people who died due to drug ODs and I know another girl who has to goto the meth clinic everyday now.

As far as a clean truck that tax payers pay for I think that is ridiculous. Some people work a full time job and can not even afford their own health care, but yet the govt wants people to pay for other peoples heroin? Its a crazy world we live in

This is not a heroin problem but a fentanyl problem.

We've had heroin epidemics wax and wane in this country since the 1970's. The difference this time is fentanyl, which is like heroin times a thousand. Fentanyl is what is killing so many people, not the heroin. The heroin is the addiction and addiction destroys judgement and logic so that trying to "stay away" from fentanyl is impossible in today's drug trade.

And fentynal is just such a potent opioid, that people make tons of mistakes with it.

This country, law enforcement, drug industry, EVERYONE needs to come down incredibly hard on fentynal. Make it like a 20 year prison sentence if you are caught selling it. Relax penalties for selling heroin WITHOUT fentanyl as a reward to stay away from it.

The epidemic is fentanyl and we can solve that epidemic without having to cure opioid addiction (which at this point is hard to do and will have to slowly reverse itself over the next decade as all these deaths scare people away from trying it in the first place).

Fentanyl is some nasty, nasty ****. It's a killer. Plain and simple. And thousands are dying in this country since it's introduction into the drug world.

Last edited:
Fentanyl is some nasty, nasty ****. It's a killer. Plain and simple. And thousands are dying in this country since it's introduction into the drug world.

The year I worked in a funeral home as an intern was when fentanyl hit here. I did SO many overdose funerals and direct cremations (cremation without a viewing or service). Completely avoidable.

*Graphic Content Warning*

Legally there has to be a cause of death on the death certificate. "Found in portajohn dead" is not a cause of death. Therefore there has to be an autopsy. Remove and weigh internal organs, toxicity blood screen, etc. The medical examiner will slice your scalp from ear to ear, then take a small power saw and cut a quarter-moon shaped piece out of your skull and remove your brain and weigh it, probably take some samples for a microscope slide. Then make a large Y-shaped cut from each shoulder to your sternum and straight down to your privates and remove everything. Heart, lungs, stomach, intestines, liver, kidneys. All of that goes into a red biohazard bag along with your brain, then I come along to pick you up from the M.E.'s office. When I get you back to the funeral home I add a bottle or two of formaldehyde to your innards in the red bag and tie it back up. Since we no longer have a full circulatory system I have to embalm in sections, femoral artery in each leg (easy because your torso is wide open, they're down at the bottom of the inside of your spine that I'm looking at, axillary or brachial arteries in each arm (which are usually a pain in the ***), then I reach up under the flaps of your neck to find the carotid arteries which hopefully the M.E. didn't cut too short. Most of the blood and embalming fluid drains into the body cavity which I suck out with a hose. When I inject your head it's easier with two people, one to inject and one to hold two gloved fingers on the arteries in the Circle of Oris at the base of your skull so the embalming fluid goes into your face instead of squirting right out the back of your head. I put a towel in where your brain used to be, put the piece of your skull back in with a clamp on each temple, and suture your scalp back together. Hopefully you don't have long hair. Next I put the red bag with your viscera and brain back in your torso along with some hardening compound and start suturing. Each stitch has to be about a pencil-width apart and tight so you don't leak. I'm damn good at suturing. One of the few times in my life that someone told me I was good at something was when an instructor at mortuary school said, "Everybody look at how Ron is suturing. Evenly spaced, nice and tight. Do like Ron." This is the part that takes a while. A lot of suturing since they're close with a lock stitch every ten. Usually this is when I have to take a break, deglove, degown, leave the room, and have a cup of coffee. If you're autopsied we charge your family an extra $150 for embalming because, well, it takes a lot longer. Then I wash your body with antibacterial soap, shampoo the hair (carefully since I just sewed your head back together) since it's usually full of blood, then paint some special glue over the sutures. The next day I'll do some cosmetic work and make you look as good as new, or as good as dead anyway.

Sound like fun? It never makes my day, or the next day when your mother comes in, sees you in the casket, and falls down on the floor kicking and screaming and crying and beating her fists into the carpet. Completely avoidable. Don't do drugs.

I don't mean to sound insensitive or unempathetic but I'd see all this play out twice a week, every week, when it was unnecessary.

Last edited:
I thought that was Prince? I could be wrong.

You're right, it was Prince (fentanyl). Jackson was more anesthetics like propofol & midazolam.