• Please be aware we've switched the forums to their own URL. (again) You'll find the new website address to be www.steelernationforum.com Thanks
  • Please clear your private messages. Your inbox is close to being full.

Global Heat: Britain longest heatwave in 42 years, deadly heat in Japan and Arctic

You know, all that snow out of season is because of global warming. Of course, if there was no snow, that also would be because of global warming. And if there was absolutely no statistically anomalous weather, that would be because all the warming is hiding at the bottom of the ocean.

I'm sorry but all I care about is my little spot on this earth. And this last summer was the coolest I've seen here in SW Oregon since I moved here 11 years ago.

I'm sorry but all I care about is my little spot on this earth. And this last summer was the coolest I've seen here in SW Oregon since I moved here 11 years ago.

PA has had a below normal number of days above 90* for several years now.

Love SW and coastal Oregon. A few years ago, flew into Portland and rented a car and traveled the 18 (I believe) to the coast at Lincoln City and headed south from there to Newport, Florence & Coos Bay. Florence was a trip with those 40 sq. miles of sand dunes, and the islands in the middle of the sand dunes were incredible. Rented a Rhino and an ATV for the day and had a blast. I think I snapped a photo of the ocean, sand dunes & a lush pine forest all in one shot. The natural, pristine beauty of the place was really refreshing. I really get tired of Southern California sometimes.

I'd like to see Coastal Oregon as well. Every few years I go to Portland for a software convention and I always make it a point to get out of that looney bin for a few days and head up to the mountains. Been skiing on Mt Hood in July. That's pretty surreal for sure. Visited Mt St. Helens and fished some tributaries that flowed into the Columbia. Beautiful area..Too bad they let Portland go to @#$% though. Nothing but druggies, homeless and hippies as far as the eye can see. Nothing there that a return to work and an *** kicking (tough love) wouldn't cure though. :)

I'd like to see Coastal Oregon as well. Every few years I go to Portland for a software convention and I always make it a point to get out of that looney bin for a few days and head up to the mountains. Been skiing on Mt Hood in July. That's pretty surreal for sure. Visited Mt St. Helens and fished some tributaries that flowed into the Columbia. Beautiful area..Too bad they let Portland go to @#$% though. Nothing but druggies, homeless and hippies as far as the eye can see. Nothing there that a return to work and an *** kicking (tough love) wouldn't cure though. :)

Portland....where 20 year olds go to retire.

giphy.gif

Love SW and coastal Oregon. A few years ago, flew into Portland and rented a car and traveled the 18 (I believe) to the coast at Lincoln City and headed south from there to Newport, Florence & Coos Bay. Florence was a trip with those 40 sq. miles of sand dunes, and the islands in the middle of the sand dunes were incredible. Rented a Rhino and an ATV for the day and had a blast. I think I snapped a photo of the ocean, sand dunes & a lush pine forest all in one shot. The natural, pristine beauty of the place was really refreshing. I really get tired of Southern California sometimes.

Well the lush pine forest are burning. And you guessed it.....global warming is causing the problem proclaim some experts. But I'm in with the bunch that says lower than normal rainfall this past season and no/poor forest maintenance, but that's another argument.

NINTCHDBPICT000432952624.jpg

Pictures of the snow covered creatures have swept across social media as viewers marvel at the bizarre scenes.
Kitty Viljoen captured elephants enjoying the snow in the Sneeuberg on the Western Cape of South Africa, where snow hit late last week.
Sneeuberg translates to Snow Mountain and dustings are not unusual across parts of South Africa in the winter, but this cold snap comes particularly late in the season.

https://www.thesun.co.uk/news/7229712/snow-south-africa-blizzards-desert-giraffes/

GLOBAL COOLING ALERT!

Lack of sunspots to bring record cold, warns NASA scientist

The Chill of Solar Minimum

The sun is entering one of the deepest Solar Minima of the Space Age. Sunspots have been absent for most of 2018, and the sun’s ultraviolet output has sharply dropped. New research shows that Earth’s upper atmosphere is responding.

“We see a cooling trend,” says Martin Mlynczak of NASA’s Langley Research Center. “High above Earth’s surface, near the edge of space, our atmosphere is losing heat energy. If current trends continue, it could soon set a Space Age record for cold

“It could happen in a matter of months,” says Martin Mlynczak of NASA’s Langley Research Center.

To help track the latest developments, Martin Mlynczak of NASA’s Langley Research Center and his colleagues recently introduced the “Thermosphere Climate Index.”

The Thermosphere Climate Index (TCI) tells how much heat nitric oxide (NO) molecules are dumping into space. During Solar Maximum, TCI is high (meaning “Hot”); during Solar Minimum, it is low (meaning “Cold”).

“Right now, it is very low indeed … 10 times smaller than we see during more active phases of the solar cycle,” says Mlynczak

tci.png

https://spaceweatherarchive.com/2018/09/27/the-chill-of-solar-minimum/

-------------------

because, science

GLOBAL COOLING ALERT!

Lack of sunspots to bring record cold, warns NASA scientist

The Chill of Solar Minimum

The sun is entering one of the deepest Solar Minima of the Space Age. Sunspots have been absent for most of 2018, and the sun’s ultraviolet output has sharply dropped. New research shows that Earth’s upper atmosphere is responding.

“We see a cooling trend,” says Martin Mlynczak of NASA’s Langley Research Center. “High above Earth’s surface, near the edge of space, our atmosphere is losing heat energy. If current trends continue, it could soon set a Space Age record for cold

“It could happen in a matter of months,” says Martin Mlynczak of NASA’s Langley Research Center.

To help track the latest developments, Martin Mlynczak of NASA’s Langley Research Center and his colleagues recently introduced the “Thermosphere Climate Index.”

The Thermosphere Climate Index (TCI) tells how much heat nitric oxide (NO) molecules are dumping into space. During Solar Maximum, TCI is high (meaning “Hot”); during Solar Minimum, it is low (meaning “Cold”).

“Right now, it is very low indeed … 10 times smaller than we see during more active phases of the solar cycle,” says Mlynczak

tci.png

https://spaceweatherarchive.com/2018/09/27/the-chill-of-solar-minimum/

-------------------

because, science

Somewhere Elfie is foaming at the mouth with a whole stack of irrelevant gifs and articles, just waiting to find a path back in here so this can all be exposed as narrative busting myths...

Busted again

Scientists Confess: Math Error Was Cause of Alarming Global Warming Study Results

The scientists behind a headline-grabbing global warming study did something that seems all too rare these days — they admitted to making mistakes and thanked the researcher, a global warming skeptic, who pointed them out.

“When we were confronted with his insight it became immediately clear there was an issue there,” study co-author Ralph Keeling told The San Diego Union-Tribune

Their study, published in October, used a new method of measuring ocean heat uptake and found the oceans had absorbed 60 more heat than previously thought. Many news outlets relayed the findings, but independent scientist Nic Lewis quickly found problems with the study.

Keeling, a scientist at the Scripps Institution of Oceanography, owned up to the mistake and thanked Lewis for finding it. Keeling and his co-authors submitted a correction to the journal Nature. “We really muffed the error margins.”

“So far as I can see, their method vastly underestimates the uncertainty,” Lewis told The Washington Post in an interview Tuesday, “as well as biasing up significantly, nearly 30 percent, the central estimate.”

Lewis is an ardent critic of climate scientists’ over-reliance on climate models, which he says predict too much warming. Lewis and Curry published a study earlier in 2018 that found climate models overestimated global warming by as much as 45 percent.

https://dailycaller.com/2018/11/14/...Tc7JXAe4qKnCp7ekye4KobB4Wj0vgrZtlhxqBfJvysTyI

-------------------------

Busted by a DELIBERATE math error that got caught

GLOBAL COOLING ALERT!

Thanksgiving Day will be coldest in over a century for millions in U.S.

Millions of Americans in the Northeast and Middle Atlantic states will wake up to the coldest Thanksgiving in more than a century, with high winds even threatening the iconic Macy's Thanksgiving Day Parade, meteorologists said Wednesday.

the lowest high temperature for a Thanksgiving in New York City came on Nov. 30, 1871, when the mercury fell to 22 degrees, according to the National Weather Service. The coldest Turkey Day in Boston was 19 degrees, in 1873. Philadelphia's coldest Thanksgiving was 28 degrees, in 1901

https://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-new...l-be-coldest-over-century-millions-us-n938926

Trump's own administration - across multiple agencies - just released this alarming report on climate change. Naturally, he and his cult followers will ignore it, call it a hoax and disregard it as fake news. This is the current state of America. Boggles the mind.

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" data-lang="en"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">JUST IN: The U.S. National Climate Assessment is now public.<br><br>This is the report that the Trump Administration doesn’t want you to see. Years in the making, released on the day after Thanksgiving. <a href="https://twitter.com/hashtag/ClimateFriday?src=hash&ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw">#ClimateFriday</a><br><br>Here are some of the main highlights:<a href="https://t.co/fTqVopBccR">https://t.co/fTqVopBccR</a><br>/1</p>— Eric Holthaus (@EricHolthaus) <a href="https://twitter.com/EricHolthaus/status/1066043904322138112?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw">November 23, 2018</a></blockquote>
<script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

This isn't from Al Gore or other left-wing sources, nor from the renewable energy lobby, nor from the oft-quoted '97% of scientists around the globe.' This is from the Trump administration itself, published yesterday, hot off the presses. Read it and weep, climate change deniers.

Summary Findings:
https://nca2018.globalchange.gov/

Climate change creates new risks and exacerbates existing vulnerabilities in communities across the United States, presenting growing challenges to human health and safety, quality of life, and the rate of economic growth.
Without substantial and sustained global mitigation and regional adaptation efforts, climate change is expected to cause growing losses to American infrastructure and property and impede the rate of economic growth over this century.
Climate change affects the natural, built, and social systems we rely on individually and through their connections to one another. These interconnected systems are increasingly vulnerable to cascading impacts that are often difficult to predict, threatening essential services within and beyond the Nation’s borders.
Communities, governments, and businesses are working to reduce risks from and costs associated with climate change by taking action to lower greenhouse gas emissions and implement adaptation strategies. While mitigation and adaptation efforts have expanded substantially in the last four years, they do not yet approach the scale considered necessary to avoid substantial damages to the economy, environment, and human health over the coming decades.
The quality and quantity of water available for use by people and ecosystems across the country are being affected by climate change, increasing risks and costs to agriculture, energy production, industry, recreation, and the environment.
Impacts from climate change on extreme weather and climate-related events, air quality, and the transmission of disease through insects and pests, food, and water increasingly threaten the health and well-being of the American people, particularly populations that are already vulnerable.
Climate change increasingly threatens Indigenous communities’ livelihoods, economies, health, and cultural identities by disrupting interconnected social, physical, and ecological systems.
Ecosystems and the benefits they provide to society are being altered by climate change, and these impacts are projected to continue. Without substantial and sustained reductions in global greenhouse gas emissions, transformative impacts on some ecosystems will occur; some coral reef and sea ice ecosystems are already experiencing such transformational changes.
Rising temperatures, extreme heat, drought, wildfire on rangelands, and heavy downpours are expected to increasingly disrupt agricultural productivity in the United States. Expected increases in challenges to livestock health, declines in crop yields and quality, and changes in extreme events in the United States and abroad threaten rural livelihoods, sustainable food security, and price stability.
Our Nation’s aging and deteriorating infrastructure is further stressed by increases in heavy precipitation events, coastal flooding, heat, wildfires, and other extreme events, as well as changes to average precipitation and temperature. Without adaptation, climate change will continue to degrade infrastructure performance over the rest of the century, with the potential for cascading impacts that threaten our economy, national security, essential services, and health and well-being.
Coastal communities and the ecosystems that support them are increasingly threatened by the impacts of climate change. Without significant reductions in global greenhouse gas emissions and regional adaptation measures, many coastal regions will be transformed by the latter part of this century, with impacts affecting other regions and sectors. Even in a future with lower greenhouse gas emissions, many communities are expected to suffer financial impacts as chronic high-tide flooding leads to higher costs and lower property values.
Outdoor recreation, tourist economies, and quality of life are reliant on benefits provided by our natural environment that will be degraded by the impacts of climate change in many ways.

This isn't from Al Gore or other left-wing sources, nor from the renewable energy lobby, nor from the oft-quoted '97% of scientists around the globe.' This is from the Trump administration itself, published yesterday, hot off the presses. Read it and weep, climate change deniers.

Summary Findings:
https://nca2018.globalchange.gov/

Weep or laugh?

This is a mandated report Tibby. It's the same regurgitated rhetoric we heard the last time.
The USGRP is overseen by the executive branch, and where does this beaurocracy get this info?

Next on Trumps agenda should be to eliminate this waste of taxpayer dollars.

The Global Change Research Act of 1990 mandates that the U.S. Global Change Research Program (USGCRP) deliver a report to Congress and the President no less than every four years

Last edited:
This is a mandated report.... The Global Change Research Act of 1990 mandates that the U.S. Global Change Research Program (USGCRP) deliver a report to Congress and the President no less than every four years
It's not the timing of the report, or the reason why or how the report is published, it's the content of the report that may be of interest to those not completely brainwashed by the Alt Right's climate change denier conpiracy.

Well if this all true, I guess you had better tell China and India to stop polluting the planet. Last I checked, we are ahead of the curve.

Don't Tell Anyone, But We Just Had Two Years Of Record-Breaking Global Cooling

https://www.investors.com/politics/...ange-global-warming-earth-cooling-media-bias/

Inconvenient Science: NASA data show that global temperatures dropped sharply over the past two years. Not that you'd know it, since that wasn't deemed news. Does that make NASA a global warming denier?

Writing in Real Clear Markets, Aaron Brown looked at the official NASA global temperature data and noticed something surprising. From February 2016 to February 2018, "global average temperatures dropped by 0.56 degrees Celsius." That, he notes, is the biggest two-year drop in the past century.

"The 2016-2018 Big Chill," he writes, "was composed of two Little Chills, the biggest five month drop ever (February to June 2016) and the fourth biggest (February to June 2017). A similar event from February to June 2018 would bring global average temperatures below the 1980s average."

Isn't this just the sort of man-bites-dog story that the mainstream media always says is newsworthy?

In this case, it didn't warrant any news coverage.

In fact, in the three weeks since Real Clear Markets ran Brown's story, no other news outlet picked up on it. They did, however, find time to report on such things as tourism's impact on climate change, how global warming will generate more hurricanes this year, and threaten fish habitats, and make islands uninhabitable. They wrote about a UN official saying that "our window of time for addressing climate change is closing very quickly."

Reporters even found time to cover a group that says they want to carve President Trump's face into a glacier to prove climate change "is happening."

In other words, the mainstream news covered stories that repeated what climate change advocates have been saying ad nauseam for decades.

I don't knw about you all but I would love it to be a bit warmer.... lets speed this global warming deal up a bit. how can I help. ?

Well if this all true, I guess you had better tell China and India to stop polluting the planet. Last I checked, we are ahead of the curve.
Exactly, which was the whole point of the Paris Accord, which Trump backed out of like the dumbass, reckless fool that he is.

Exactly, which was the whole point of the Paris Accord, which Trump backed out of like the dumbass, reckless fool that he is.

How would the Paris Accord impact China and India? Be specific.