• Please be aware we've switched the forums to their own URL. (again) You'll find the new website address to be www.steelernationforum.com Thanks
  • Please clear your private messages. Your inbox is close to being full.

Hate for Najee?

College means nothing
If Pittsburgh got the Alabama production we wouldn't have a 9 page thread like this, and they would have taken the option on him 1000%

Where would he be drafted based off his NFL production?
Honest question
I tend to doubt he would have been drafted had he put up 3.9 at Alabama, if he was it would have been in the late rounds.
No chance in Hell he is a first rounder in a redraft situation today.
All you need to do is rank the current NFL RBs to see where he'd fall. You'd also have to consider scheme and what teams expect from their running backs. For instance, based on what I just read from Austin Ekeler, Jim Harbaugh would take Najee in a second because he wants a workhorse. Oddly enough, Tomlin has always been a run them until their wheels fall off type of coach and changed his approach with Harris/Warren.

College means nothing
If Pittsburgh got the Alabama production we wouldn't have a 9 page thread like this, and they would have taken the option on him 1000%

Honest question
I tend to doubt he would have been drafted had he put up 3.9 at Alabama, if he was it would have been in the late rounds.
He'd be lucky to go in the 3rd, probably more like the 5th. They thought they were getting a Derrick Henry but ended up with a Trent Richardson. HUGE difference.

College means nothing
College production is everything.
Without it how would one evaluate players abilities? Combine? College production feeds the combine.
Honest question
Well, hindsight is 20/20 so you never know how a pick is going to turn out.
Marsha Brady would've been picked #1 overall instead of 6th round had anyone known how good he could be.
I'm not saying Najee was our best choice in the 1st, only that he was a legit 1st rounder from what was known about him at the time.

College production is everything.
Without it how would one evaluate players abilities? Combine? College production feeds the combine.

Well, hindsight is 20/20 so you never know how a pick is going to turn out.
Marsha Brady would've been picked #1 overall instead of 6th round had anyone known how good he could be.
I'm not saying Najee was our best choice in the 1st, only that he was a legit 1st rounder from what was known about him at the time.
Thats fair, I was excited for him in the very beginning, although he did have a good couple games last seasons.
College production means nothing in terms of translation to the NFL, but I agree its all you have to go on. Thats why you see first round mistakes and undrafted gems. Our backfield is a prime example

He'd be lucky to go in the 3rd, probably more like the 5th. They thought they were getting a Derrick Henry but ended up with a Trent Richardson. HUGE difference.
And yet Harris is one of 13 RB's to rush for 1000 yards in his first 3 years......I know he benefited from an extra week but so did everyone else(since it was started)......even in a putrid offense where they knew when we would run....and when we passed it would be short to the out side. Teams loaded the box. Week in and week out. Play in and play out.

And yet Harris is one of 13 RB's to rush for 1000 yards in his first 3 years......I know he benefited from an extra week but so did everyone else(since it was started)......even in a putrid offense where they knew when we would run....and when we passed it would be short to the out side. Teams loaded the box. Week in and week out. Play in and play out.
zing?

And the 1,000 yard season's really didn't amount to anything meaningful that I could tell. We still were one of the lowest-scoring O's

College means nothing

Honest question
What’s your point? Where would Bettis have been drafted with the 3.9 he had in the NFL coming out of Notre Dame? Certainly not #10 overall. So what and who cares?

What’s your point? Where would Bettis have been drafted with the 3.9 he had in the NFL coming out of Notre Dame? Certainly not #10 overall. So what and who cares?
No hidden point, the point is the point: Had Najee been drafted after we collectively saw what he did in the pros (with his 3.9 ypc average) he would not have been drafted in the 1st round. Take it for whatever you wish. It is what it is. Najee would not have been taken in the 1st round if we knew then what we know now.

No hidden point, the point is the point: Had Najee been drafted after we collectively saw what he did in the pros (with his 3.9 ypc average) he would not have been drafted in the 1st round. Take it for whatever you wish. It is what it is. Najee would not have been taken in the 1st round if we knew then what we know now.
I am starting to think you would have drafted someone else

That may be true, most RB don't get thrown into the Bellcow role as a rookie. A more accurate comparison would be first 3 years as the starter. Even that would not be accurate considering the fact that most backfields are split and most intelligent head coaches do not throw caution to the wind and ride 1 RB till the wheels fell off.

Harris 3269 yards in his first 53 games as a starter
Willie parker 4483 yards in his first 53 games as a starter

Najee Has the most carries in the league since 2021 outside of Derrick Henry
For some context
Henry had 373 more rushing yards than Harris in that time span. In 10 less games played

That may be true, most RB don't get thrown into the Bellcow role as a rookie. A more accurate comparison would be first 3 years as the starter. Even that would not be accurate considering the fact that most backfields are split and most intelligent head coaches do not throw caution to the wind and ride 1 RB till the wheels fell off.

For some context
Henry had 373 more rushing yards than Harris in that time span. In 10 less games played
Boom, shalackalacka boom.

For some context
Agreed.... so it makes what Harris did that more impressive. Now hopefully our OL will be solid along with a half way decent Offensive system. I am not only excited what Harris can do but Warren also.

And the 1,000 yard season's really didn't amount to anything meaningful that I could tell. We still were one of the lowest-scoring O's

I guess you can say your post(s) follow right along that line of thinking………………….

Salute the nation