• Please be aware we've switched the forums to their own URL. (again) You'll find the new website address to be www.steelernationforum.com Thanks
  • Please clear your private messages. Your inbox is close to being full.

Hate for Najee?

Sure they do, it's called the draft and FA. Pgh decided Najee wasn't worth the 5th-year price. I don't disagree.
Those are options, not leverage, and Najee will have more options. There’s a lot more teams in the NFL than there are durable backs that have rushed for 1,000+ yards three consecutive years and scored 28TDs and rarely fumble. Don’t be surprised if Najee ends up making a lot more than the $7 million the Steelers could have paid him next year.

You putting Najee above Eddie lacey is statistically unfounded. LOL
Lacy was offensive rookie of the year, More rush yards, More touchdowns, More efficient in the run and pass game by a significant margin.

51 career starts
Lacy 857 carries 3614 yds @4.2YPC 23 TD
107 catches for 947 yds @8.9 yards per reception.

Najee 834 Carries 3269yds @ 3.9 YPC 22 TD
144 catches for 866yds @6.0 Yards per reception.

For the record I always thought Lacy was a bust too, his stats were still better than Najee.
Good job posting the stats.

Kahn has something up his sleeve, maybe Najee doesn't fit the new player attitude of the regime ? Anything is possible in America.

The 6+ million may be tagged for something bigger pictured. Remember, next year's QB isn't going to be for free.

Salute the nation
To your point, Harris was a captain in his second year, but not last season. I also only see him as a full-effort player when he's facing some adversity. If he ran like he is capable every week he would have 1,400 yards, 4.5 YPC, and 10+ TDs every year.

Lacy was offensive rookie of the year, More rush yards, More touchdowns, More efficient in the run and pass game by a significant margin.

51 career starts

For the record I always thought Lacy was a bust too, his stats were still better than Najee.
the eddie lacy comment was a jab at dumdum who had touted him over leveon, i believe it was.

51 career starts

Good job. Now compare Jerome Bettis’ 3 year stats as well as career stats vs Lacy’s and think long and hard as to what your point could possibly be.

Good job. Now compare Jerome Bettis’ 3 year stats as well as career stats vs Lacy’s and think long and hard as to what your point could possibly be.
Lacy had better stats than Harris, despite being widely considered a bust. Thats the point

Those are options, not leverage, and Najee will have more options. There’s a lot more teams in the NFL than there are durable backs that have rushed for 1,000+ yards three consecutive years and scored 28TDs and rarely fumble. Don’t be surprised if Najee ends up making a lot more than the $7 million the Steelers could have paid him next year.
I don't think anyone would be surprised that the Steelers won't pay top dollar for a mediocre RB. Steelers don't pay top dollar to any RB. Even if he's the best RB and their #2 WR, putting up historic numbers of scrimmage yards per game. They are cheap, rarely overpay wink wink Cam
If Harris has a good year I could see an 8-10 million per year average for 3 year contract offered, but with less than 10 million guaranteed.
Thats how they play the game. Guaranteed money is all that matters for a RB, The rest is window dressing.

I don't think anyone would be surprised that the Steelers won't pay top dollar for a mediocre RB. Steelers don't pay top dollar to any RB. Even if he's the best RB and their #2 WR, putting up historic numbers of scrimmage yards per game. They are cheap, rarely overpay wink wink Cam
If Harris has a good year I could see an 8-10 million per year average for 3 year contract offered, but with less than 10 million guaranteed.
Thats how they play the game. Guaranteed money is all that matters for a RB, The rest is window dressing.
They are up against the cap 99 percent of the time, I don’t think that makes them cheap

Wink wink wnk

😁

Reactions: GMC
Lacy had better stats than Harris, despite being widely considered a bust. Thats the point
And Harris has better stats than Bettis 3 years in so Lacy>Harris>Bettis? No? Then what’s the point?

I wish Harris had been more productive but I don’t put all of that on him. I’ve witnessed him get met in the backfield by a defender far more than I’d like to remember. I’ve cringed after hearing fans complain about him getting a 1 yard gain out of what could have been a 2 yard loss. He has six 100 yard rushing games which is double the amount of career fumbles he has. You guys act like he’s the RB version of Huey Richardson.

If Harris is mediocre, name the average NFL backs with 4,100 yards and 28 TDs over the past three seasons.

The Steelers tried to pay Le’Veon and he passed because, well, he’s an idiot.

How does what Najee ends up making concern the Steelers? If they choose to not think he's worth the $7 mill or whatever he gets paid, it should not matter how much others decide to pay him. That's their prerogative, not Pgh's. That's like those who say Tomlin would be offered a job quickly if Pgh fired him. So what? It's irrelevant.

If Harris is mediocre, name the average NFL backs with 4,100 yards and 28 TDs over the past three seasons.

The Steelers tried to pay Le’Veon and he passed because, well, he’s an idiot.
Najee's ypc is indeed only average, nothing better.

How does what Najee ends up making concern the Steelers? If they choose to not think he's worth the $7 mill or whatever he gets paid, it should not matter how much others decide to pay him. That's their prerogative, not Pgh's. That's like those who say Tomlin would be offered a job quickly if Pgh fired him. So what? It's irrelevant.
It’s not irrelevant. The Steelers will need a starting caliber RB (or two) next season. Najee could have been one of them for the relatively modest price of $7 million. I can foresee a scenario where they regret not having picked up his option. Regret is a type of concern.

Najee's ypc is indeed only average, nothing better.
That’s fantasy football. In real football it all depends on the result of his yardage. In the three seasons between 1976 and 1978 Franco Harris averaged 3.8 ypc, none above 3.9, one as low as 3.5, he also scored 33 TDs.

That’s fantasy football. In real football it all depends on the result of his yardage. In the three seasons between 1976 and 1978 Franco Harris averaged 3.8 ypc, none above 3.9, one as low as 3.5, he also scored 33 TDs.
Well, in this real day (non fantasy football) there are over 25 RBs with better ypc #s in 2023. So, in the "here and now" Najee's not looking so great.

Well, in this real day (non fantasy football) there are over 25 RBs with better ypc #s in 2023. So, in the "here and now" Najee's not looking so great.
Except on 3rd and 1, 4th and 1 and goal to go, not that those are important or anything.

Tony Reed averaged 5.1 ypc the same year Franco averaged 3.5, was he obviously a better RB?

Except on 3rd and 1, 4th and 1 and goal to go, not that those are important or anything.

Tony Reed averaged 5.1 ypc the same year Franco averaged 3.5, was he obviously a better RB?
Clearly yes. Franco got more attention and playing time because he was "buddy buddy" with Chuck. now they are HOF buddies

Warren is a yard better ypc than NH, and he IS that much better.

Warren is a yard better ypc than NH, and he IS that much better.
Warren’s not used in short yardage and he fumbles twice as often. Najee can have 5-10 carries in a game in short yardage or garbage time that he averages 1-2 ypc. That can easily bring down his overall ypc by a yard or more.

I like Warren, but get the feeling I’d like him a lot less as the feature back. If I had to choose between Najee or Warren, I’d keep Najee.

It is a well studied statistical phenomenon that many backup running backs will have a higher YPC than the starter but as soon as attempts equal out they usually come back down to to the same or lower. Williamson and Lolley had a long discussion about this and the numbers last season.

It is a well studied statistical phenomenon that many backup running backs will have a higher YPC than the starter but as soon as attempts equal out they usually come back down to to the same or lower. Williamson and Lolley had a long discussion about this and the numbers last season.
Tomlinson has been carrying his buddy on his back. Warren is miles ahead of that bum.