• Please be aware we've switched the forums to their own URL. (again) You'll find the new website address to be www.steelernationforum.com Thanks
  • Please clear your private messages. Your inbox is close to being full.

Hawaii Fire

Steeltime

They killed Kenny!
Forefather
Contributor
Reaction score
Don't see a separate thread for the Hawaii fire and its aftermath. Hawaii's deputy director for water resource management delayed releasing water to help battle the fire for about 4 1/2 hours.

Specifically, according to accounts of four people with knowledge of the situation, M. Kaleo Manuel, a Native Hawaiian cultural practitioner and DLNR’s deputy director for water resource management, initially balked at West Maui Land Co.’s requests for additional water to help prevent the fire from spreading to properties managed by the company. According to the sources, Manuel wanted West Maui Land to get permission from a taro, or kalo, farm located downstream from the company’s property. Manuel eventually released water but not until after the fire had spread.

Maui Water Official Delayed Release of Water to Fight Massive Fire

Access to water should be predicated on “conversations about equity,” according to the Hawaii official under fire for delaying access to water during the Maui wildfires. M. Kaleo Manuel, former deputy director of the Hawaii Commission on Water Resource Management, waited for more than five hours to release water during the wildfires that devastated Maui, according to reports.

In a livestream debate hosted by the University of Hawaii last year, Manuel described water as a sacred god. “Let water connect us and not divide us,” said Manuel, referring to water distribution on the island. “We can share it, but it requires true conversations about equity…How do we coexist with the resources we have?”

A former Obama Foundation leader — part of a program by the former President’s non-profit to help participants with coaching and “practical skill building for social change” — Manuel said he considered water an important tool for social justice.

Manuel was transferred to another position within the Department of Land and Natural Resources Wednesday, according to Honolulu Civil Beat, which first reported the story of the delay.

The West Maui Land Company said in an Aug. 10 letter to Manuel that his commission refused its request to divert streams to fill landowners’ reservoirs in the hard-hit Lahaina area until the wildfires raged out of control, according to a report.

Hawaii Water Official Reveres Water, Equity

The Babylon Bee of course summarizes the events perfectly:

Last edited:
Joe has to have a little vacation before he shows up with $700 for those that lost everything.

when these people "build back better" their homes and businesses, Joe can point to this as building more housing for the homeless.

when these people "build back better" their homes and businesses, Joe can point to this as building more housing for the homeless.
Plus, they can rebuild more efficient structures so that Maui can help more with the resettlement of people from the immigration surge over the past 30 months.

Plus, they can rebuild more efficient structures so that Maui can help more with the resettlement of people from the immigration surge over the past 30 months.
even better... Bidenomics and $700 worked to achieve this!

So this property has been in your family for 9 generations eh? And you don't want to sell? Let me see if I can help with that.

-Big Developers

Also apparently the guy in charge of the tsunami warning sirens didn’t turn them on because it wasn’t, you know, a tsunami

Also apparently the guy in charge of the tsunami warning sirens didn’t turn them on because it wasn’t, you know, a tsunami
As someone that’s in this field I don’t know how to think about that.

It’s not a tsunami and the response would be as such. We have armed intruded programs and some folks said “pull the fire alarm”. No. The response would put people at risk bc they think it’s a fire and they respond that way Vs some dude with a gun.

My thought is same here but I don’t know how they are trained on that alarm. Is it only big wave coming.

It’s not a tsunami and the response would be as such. We have armed intruded programs and some folks said “pull the fire alarm”. No. The response would put people at risk bc they think it’s a fire and they respond that way Vs some dude with a gun.

My thought is same here but I don’t know how they are trained on that alarm. Is it only big wave coming.
Save them sireeens for the real emergency, lol.

The fact is that the residents literally did not know a fire was raging 1/2 mile away and heading their direction, pushed by normal Hawaii winds. Shocking, I know, that an island has heavy winds. The guy responsible for the alarm said he made a conscious decision not to activate the sirens because residents had been told to head for higher ground with the tsunami warning and the fire was out of control on the higher ground.

I'm pretty sure that most people would know enough not to run into a roaring inferno and also know enough to flee the area. The problem of course is that the roads in that area are not meant to handle heavy traffic, and some idiot always finds a way to stop a ******* car in the middle of the road and **** up traffic royally.

The fact is that the residents literally did not know a fire was raging 1/2 mile away and heading their direction, pushed by normal Hawaii winds. Shocking, I know, that an island has heavy winds. The guy responsible for the alarm said he made a conscious decision not to activate the sirens because residents had been told to head for higher ground with the tsunami warning and the fire was out of control on the higher ground.

I'm pretty sure that most people would know enough not to run into a roaring inferno and also know enough to flee the area. The problem of course is that the roads in that area are not meant to handle heavy traffic, and some idiot always finds a way to stop a ******* car in the middle of the road and **** up traffic royally.
This was exactly why I said I didn’t know what to think. Thinking one thing and putting that plan in place only to lead to a different problem.

We have a nuke plant nearby. So when/if that siren went off and we jump in the car to get the **** out but it was a tornado, well ****.

But in this case if folks had no clue I do think then it should have been used to be like “hey look the **** outside,” hell is coming your way.

KJP will say ," at least he wasn't looking at his watch".

Living in a small mountain community, our warning sirens have a pattern of blasts based on the threat. Lightning, fire, all clear, etc. There's even one for we're being attacked, which I used to fined particularly humorous, now not so much.

There's even one for we're being attacked, which I used to find particularly humorous, now not so much.

Given that Sloppy Joe has said at least three times he does not fear Americans because he has F-16's, I also do not find that possibility humorous.

David Burge commented about Sloppy Joe's rambling, incoherent comments where he brought up a small house fire and the fact he "almost lost my cat" to compare his experience to those whose entire homes were destroyed and families burned beyond recognition:

"Joe Biden is the bride at every wedding, and the corpse at every funeral."

David Burge commented about Sloppy Joe's rambling, incoherent comments where he brought up a small house fire and the fact he "almost lost my cat" to compare his experience to those whose entire homes were destroyed and families burned beyond recognition:

"Joe Biden is the bride at every wedding, and the corpse at every funeral."

He always has to make it about him. He's a worthless human in every way. I will rejoice when he is no longer in any public office. Which if we didn't have corrupt government, he would have went down for treason,bribery and extortion a long time ago.