• Please be aware we've switched the forums to their own URL. (again) You'll find the new website address to be www.steelernationforum.com Thanks
  • Please clear your private messages. Your inbox is close to being full.

Here We Go Again! SWAT called to active shooter inside Boulder, Colorado grocery store.

They do a mental health check/background check in every county of the state. That was enacted in 2016 as part of the process in NC. I got my CCP in 2015, but the statute effects renewals as they do the background check again at renewal time. I just renewed mine in Feb. 2020 for another 5 years. I'm not really sure on how extensive the mental health check is and what they are looking for exactly.

I think there needs to be care with that as well. What would the federal govt. deem a "mental health" issue to keep someone from buying a gun. They already show that they don't really care about people's mental health anyway so why would I trust them to make that determination.

What I meant by that, is to have a federal structure in place with minimum requirements for all States to adhere to. So you'd have the level of scrutiny in a state like Colorado that you do now in NC. It's just odd to me that folks like you and Sarge have to meet these strident requirements to own your weapons, and a deranged fucknut in Boulder can just waltz in and pick up a gun a few days before going on a mass murder spree. Anyway, I know there are no easy answers or solutions, appreciate your input on this.

If the proper steps were ignored by the gun shop, then that's a problem. That's on them and they should be held accountable for not doing their job that may have prevented this. Thousands of guns are sold everyday and many, many people own guns, but don't go on shooting sprees. Can they help stop everyone that is about to snap or loses it? There's no way to do that. It's impossible to do. One person could be fine today and lose their mind next week and shoot up a WalMart. I wish there was a full-proof plan to minimize mass shootings, as I wish deadly drunk driving cases would be minimized, too.
nowhere in the article did I see that it stated where he bought the gun.

What I meant by that, is to have a federal structure in place with minimum requirements for all States to adhere to. So you'd have the level of scrutiny in a state like Colorado that you do now in NC. It's just odd to me that folks like you and Sarge have to meet these strident requirements to own your weapons, and a deranged fucknut in Boulder can just waltz in and pick up a gun a few days before going on a mass murder spree. Anyway, I know there are no easy answers or solutions, appreciate your input on this.
Colorado already requires background checks on ALL gun sales and/or gun transfers. The laws are already in place. If a person wants to kill a lot of people, there is little to no laws that are ever going to prevent it.

Colorado already requires background checks on ALL gun sales and/or gun transfers. The laws are already in place. If a person wants to kill a lot of people, there is little to no laws that are ever going to prevent it.
Any idea of what the time frame is on that? ie the time frame roughly between walking into a shop, having them run a background check and being able to purchase a weapon? Is it a matter of minutes, done online in the gun store, or a matter of days, weeks? I've never bought a gun, so I don't know. Also, do you know if the background check in CO involves mental health screening? Just seems odd to me how easily this guy was able to purchase his weapons, particularly if he was suffering from severe mental health issues, as alleged by his brother.

I'm sorry, confirmed from Joey in a tweet? While accusing Tibs of being gleeful the shooter was white, for some reason you are doing pretty much the same thing swinging from the other side.

People died. There shouldn't be a rush to point fingers at different "sides" on the shooter to make a point.................it's pointless.
The question should never be who is pulling the trigger, but why they are. A person, regardless of their race or nationality, cannot be sane and still do this.
Help for mental illness in this country is abysmal, but finding a solution for it won't gain as many votes for politicians touting common sense gun reform, what ever that means.

Any idea of what the time frame is on that? ie the time frame roughly between walking into a shop, having them run a background check and being able to purchase a weapon? Is it a matter of minutes, done online in the gun store, or a matter of days, weeks? I've never bought a gun, so I don't know. Also, do you know if the background check in CO involves mental health screening? Just seems odd to me how easily this guy was able to purchase his weapons, particularly if he was suffering from severe mental health issues, as alleged by his brother.
If a person wants to kill a lot of people, there is little to no laws that are ever going to prevent it. Secondly, NOWHERE in the article does it state where he bought the gun. Third, who gets to decide what is included in mental health screenings...yeah, think that's a hard pass if you are leaving that up to the government. Also, who pays for the mental health screenings, or is gun ownership only for the wealthy and privileged now? Finally, if someone is intent on committing a mass shooting, it doesn't matter how long the background check or waiting period is. Your article claims the guy bought the gun a week ago, is that still to short of a period of time?

The question should never be who is pulling the trigger, but why they are. A person, regardless of their race or nationality, cannot be sane and still do this.
Help for mental illness in this country is abysmal, but finding a solution for it won't gain as many votes for politicians touting common sense gun reform, what ever that means.

Why can't it be both?

No ****!? I, for one, am shocked. I thought you and Flog were experts on the subject.
Yeah exactly, color me shocked that people that know nothing about firearms are the ones crying for them to be banned.

If a person wants to kill a lot of people, there is little to no laws that are ever going to prevent it. Secondly, NOWHERE in the article does it state where he bought the gun. Third, who gets to decide what is included in mental health screenings...yeah, think that's a hard pass if you are leaving that up to the government. Also, who pays for the mental health screenings, or is gun ownership only for the wealthy and privileged now? Finally, if someone is intent on committing a mass shooting, it doesn't matter how long the background check or waiting period is. Your article claims the guy bought the gun a week ago, is that still to short of a period of time?
So you don't know how it works in CO. Was just wondering about the details of that. Thanks for the lecture, in any case.

So you don't know how it works in CO. Was just wondering about the details of that. Thanks for the lecture, in any case.
Just say "I got nothing", save yourself an extra 20 seconds of typing your gibberish bullshit about a subject that you just admitted you know nothing about.

Just say "I got nothing", save yourself an extra 20 seconds of typing your gibberish bullshit about a subject that you just admitted you know nothing about.
I see we have a case of yet another unhinged nutso on the board, with a fractured psyche and a fragile grip on reality. Sip some whiskey or something, it'll help with the shakes. Good luck, man.

After looking into CO gun laws, background check times can vary depending on the system used, etc. Some can take 15 min. and others have taken up to 2 weeks.

Also, they seem to have a red flag law.

Colorado State Code §§ 18-12-203, 18-12-108 states that people under the following conditions may not carry a gun:

• Under the age requirement (see above)
  • Anyone with a felony conviction
  • Alcoholics or individuals addicted to controlled substances
  • Non-residents of Colorado, unless the person is a permit holder from another state with reciprocity
  • People subject to protection orders
Colorado has something called a “red flag law”, which allows police or family members to ask judges to temporarily confiscate firearms if someone is deemed to be an “extreme risk” to themselves or others. This type of situation is called an extreme risk protection order. (Colorado House Bill 1177 (2019)

Tibs -

you ventured into the thread and IMMEDIATELY placed blame on white men. YOU and YOU alone pointed the finger of blame at WHITE MEN. YOU called WHITE MEN the problem. This board has a diverse racial background, however, there are many white guys on the board.

I've yet to see you blame black kids for the gun violence in Chicago. Or black teenagers. Or black gang bangers.

Then when YOUR OWN statement is proven to be bullshit, a falsehood, an untruth, you claim victim.

and then fail to see why people call you full of ****.

Though I will give you props for finally stating you have ZERO idea of what you speak of. You said you've never bought a gun. Yes, you have no idea the process. Even when explained to you over the years, repeatedly. And I'm not doing it again.

Its a waste of time and bandwidth. You refuse to educate yourself on the process and cling to the belief you can buy a gun online and have it delivered via FedEx/UPS/USPS to your door.

You want to condemn WHITE MEN and gunowners every time there is a shooting. I won't disagree that the more sensational shootings are by white men. Yet what you again fail to understand on this subject is that while there are bad guys out there the fact remains and is proven every day that the vast, vast majority of WHITE MALE GUNOWNERS do not, have not and would not shoot anyone.

Per your illogic and unfounded reasoning today, Muslim gunowners should lose their rights to own guns.
Per your illogic and unfounded reasoning today, men aged 21 should lose their rights to own guns.

I will 100000000% agree with the statement that we need to do a better, more thorough job in mental healthcare. I will say that there are people out there who should not own guns. Yet when we do discuss the mental health aspect, the LEFT goes bizarro. I will generalize here and state that the Left feels mental healthcare can be resolved by laying on a sofa discussing how a person feels about his mother or father. Then a prescription is given and a pill is popped once or twice per day.

One part of that hypothetical is why we have so many fucknuts in this country. You can figure it out, as you really are not as ******* dense as you try to portray yourself.

Thank you NC. (y) Appreciate you adding worthwhile info to the conversation. Funny how this board can be so much more bearable when grown adults aren't interrupted by wigged-out, paranoid ******** scraping their nails on the board.

Too bad the background check didn't take longer with this maniac. If it sat around for a week or two, those ten folks including the police officer would be alive right now. Sure, this loser could have run around trying to stab people with a kitchen knife, I get that. But I'd prefer that over having him walk in with semi-automatic weapons. I may be alone on that, but that's what I think.

For some reason I couldn't find this on CNN's web site....

People really need to stop and think before they type or open their pie-holes..
It will be the ruination of this fine nation...

Thank you NC. (y) Appreciate you adding worthwhile info to the conversation. Funny how this board can be so much more bearable when grown adults aren't interrupted by wigged-out, paranoid ******** scraping their nails on the board.

Too bad the background check didn't take longer with this maniac. If it sat around for a week or two, those ten folks including the police officer would be alive right now. Sure, this loser could have run around trying to stab people with a kitchen knife, I get that. But I'd prefer that over having him walk in with semi-automatic weapons. I may be alone on that, but that's what I think.
you don't know that.
it could also have been worse. maybe the guy instead went too a range and practiced shooting, got better and shot even more.

or, and hear me out, he had his application rejected and he then went to Walmart and bought a pressure cooker. BIZARRE.

Appreciate you adding worthwhile info to the conversation. Funny how this board can be so much more bearable when grown adults aren't interrupted by wigged-out, paranoid ******** scraping their nails on the board.

Says the guy digging chalk out of from under his fingernails.

you don't know that.
it could also have been worse. maybe the guy instead went too a range and practiced shooting, got better and shot even more.

Or rented a truck.

iu

We need to outlaw trucks.

Or......another set of folks would have been murdered at a later date.

We don't know what could have happened with it had the background check taken longer. Maybe he wouldn't have killed anyone or maybe he would have. I think I'm leaning towards a delay in the murders and just a different set of people being involved.

the fact remains and is proven every day that the vast, vast majority of WHITE MALE GUNOWNERS do not, have not and would not shoot anyone.

I agree with this. But it is time to stop ignoring the unhinged white males amongst us, who seem hellbent on shooting up the rest of society. And murderers come in all colors, shapes and sizes, I get that, like this Arab dude in Boulder or blacks shooting up our inner cities. The fact remains, a large majority of high-casualty, mass murders happen to be committed by white men. Just calling a spade a spade.

But your point is taken, and I understand why it gets a rise out of you guys. I'll stop referring to the race of these cold-blooded killers. At the end of the day, it doesn't matter what race they are. I just hope there's a way to keep guns out of the hands of the deranged, or at least make it much more difficult for them to carry out their vile acts.

We as a society - including responsible gun owners and 2A supporters - should be doing whatever it takes to keep weapons out of the hands of these maniacs and keep our schools, churches, towns and cities safe.

Last edited:
Or......another set of folks would have been murdered at a later date. We don't know what could have happened with it had the background check taken longer. Maybe he wouldn't have killed anyone or maybe he would have. I think I'm leaning towards a delay in the murders and just a different set of people being involved.

I was making the presumption he wouldn't have passed a background check, if it was more thorough, or there was a mental health component to it.

I was making the presumption he wouldn't have passed a background check, if it was more thorough, or there was a mental health component to it.
The delay on the background check didn't make it seem like it was because of a more thorough check, just different system delays. Did not see where there is an actual mental health check, but they do have a red flag law.

Just wanted to follow up on this, thought you'd find it interesting. What may work well in NC seems to have failed in CO.

Seems to me, this guy bought his weapons completely skipping the steps you guys outlined, ie the extensive background checks, mental health screening, firearms course, fingerprinting, etc.

So maybe we can agree there needs to be, at the minimum, a tightening of current gun purchase regulations? Seeing the wild discreptency between States, would you agree this may be best handled on a federal level?
It’s coming out that the suspect in this case has a history of violence. Beat the **** out of people in two separate incidents. One he wasn’t charged, and the other was only a misdemeanor. No background check on the planet is going to flag the guy as a violent criminal when 1) you don’t charge him and 2)when he is actually charged it is a misdemeanor.

Dude’s brother says he has a history of mental illness, if that is actually true. So again, somebody knew he had issues but said nothing. His wife, who I can only assume knew he had issues, saw him playing with a pistol and a “machine gun.” Says nothing. Guy uses said guns to murder 10 people. Color me stunned. Yes, yes. Blame the gun.

What I am certain of is that I do not want the federal government involved in any way. Gun laws are a state issue, based on what the people in that state have expressed to their representatives that they want. The thought of representatives of another state having a say in what I can do in North Carolina is repulsive.

It’s time to start looking at the real culprit. Just about all of these mass shooters are mentally ill in some manner, and a good many of them are on mind altering psychotropic drugs. It is time to stop wasting hundreds of millions of dollars on aid to Latin American countries that are sending their people here and invest that money in fighting the mental health crisis that is destroying this country. If those Latin American countries are sending their people here, what do they need the money for? Answer: they don’t. It’s time to take care of Americans.