• Please be aware we've switched the forums to their own URL. (again) You'll find the new website address to be www.steelernationforum.com Thanks
  • Please clear your private messages. Your inbox is close to being full.

I re-watched the game. Observations

SteelerSask2

Reaction score
It was a little difficult and I very rarely do that, but I highly suggest if you have game pass you really watch that **** if you really want to know where this team is at. I'm going to gloss over the first half a bit with the exception of a couple things:
- Something happened on Ben's fumble. The snap count was off of his expectation of what was happening. He lobbied for a False Start. The line thought one thing and Ben thought another in terms of snap count.
- He hung Juju out to dry on the fumble. That is a play they run routinely, but he had to eat that throw. That said, clear foul, that the Network continued to get geeked up over and replayed at least 4 times. Yet they dwelled on Williamson's forearm around the head later in the game.
- Brain dead play on the INT by Ben trying to force something on 3rd and very long. Punt and live to fight again. This was compounded by the utter stupidity of Okorafor losing his **** on the sideline. Remember when the Steelers used to get the Bengals goat.
2nd Half
- First off Tuiit (Who I really like) needs to sit. And I do not mean on the sideline. He loses a helmet for Buggs next week if I coach this team. He is playing with ZERO heart and effort. I don't remember if he had Covid or not, if he did it could be lingering effects otherwise a message must be sent. I would rather have Alualu start and Buggs and Wormley rotate than watch a guy play like that. And to be quite honest Heyward was only slightly better. Dude if you are going to talk about what the team needs to do in the media, you better not be tip toeing around piles.That is an obscene amount of cap spaced used on what they got last night.
- Marcus Allen is not a linebacker. A dime back maybe. Now something is wrong with Gilbert and he can't play then he is out. Being kinda strong and a good tackler does not make a linebacker out of you. Allen has no feel or instincts. He cannot shed or sift through the trash. he plays the position like a DB using some speed to move around guys and make tackles 4 yards down field. There were plenty and I mean plenty of situations in the second half where if you didn't like Gilbert for whatever reason you could have inserted Ola at OLB and put Watt in the middle. They did that plenty early in the year.
- Every thing is still too difficult. Yes on paper the run game was far better last night. But I would bet that 9/10 of those yards came on front recognition situations where you just kinda catch them daring you to run. They still could not run when it counted. Where did that show up. down seven they get 8 and a half on first with a pass. Then they proceed to try to pass on second it gets tipped third down they get stuffed and its a punt. 2nd and two is an opportunity not an adventure. This happened also when they were in the redzone. First down they try play action to Claypool. They do the obligatory nothing run and its third and blitz. Again on the last TD the was saved by the PI at the goaline. Third and one/ two and they try some half assed stretch to the right and lose 3. They cannot just bang it up.
- Bengals last TD and 4 minute drives were incomprehensibly coached and executed they have third string Quarterback without his most dangerous receiving threat. You can bring the safety down. You can play press/man with your DB's.The drive started with a run where Heyward has inside leverage and watches the back run past him. Then on the one where the QB fit it in and got sandwiched he inexcusably misses an easy sack. Watt gets drawn off on hard count by a ****** rook. But the coup de grace was the best. Fitzpatrick is 12 yards off the line. Yes Highsmith got sucked in by the fake, but Fitzpatrick watches them pile up does not honor the QB keep and lightly jogs toward him. If I'm Tomlin, I make him stand at Film and ask him what the **** he was doing and thinking on that play. Then with the 5 minutes left with a very good chance still. They again put up weak fronts when they know they will run and give up a first Down including a 3rd and 1 where they HAD to stack the line like it was goaline and they got bum tap QB sneaked with three guys in tight easily wedged.
Considering the opposition offense, you could not coach and execute the defense in the second half much worse if you tried. They play to not give up the big play. That's a joke.

Last edited by a moderator:
Rewatched the game? They'd have to pay me to rewatch that debacle. Once was more than enough. You have my admiration for your dedication as well as my condolences.

Though your statement is true. If you are going to talk about the team, you might as well really look at it. The media and some here will over simplify. It's Ben. Really does Ben play interior D-line, linebacker or safety. Guys will make some mistakes that is going to happen. And the other guy gets paid too. but some of this was not that. Some of it was ridiculous sense of the opponent and who you should have playing where. some of it was embarrassing effort.

It was a little difficult and I very rarely do that, but I highly suggest if you have game pass you really watch that **** if you really want to know where this team is at. I'm going to gloss over the first half a bit with the exception of a couple things:
- Something happened on Ben's fumble. The snap count was off of his expectation of what was happening. He lobbied for a False Start. The line thought one thing and Ben thought another in terms of snap count.
- He hung Juju out to dry on the fumble. That is a play they run routinely, but he had to eat that throw. That said, clear foul, that the Network continued to get geeked up over and replayed at least 4 times. Yet they dwelled on Williamson's forearm around the head later in the game.
- Brain dead play on the INT by Ben trying to force something on 3rd and very long. Punt and live to fight again. This was compounded by the utter stupidity of Okorafor losing his **** on the sideline. Remember when the Steelers used to get the Bengals goat.
2nd Half
- First off Tuiit (Who I really like) needs to sit. And I do not mean on the sideline. He loses a helmet for Buggs next week if I coach this team. He is playing with ZERO heart and effort. I don't remember if he had Covid or not, if he did it could be lingering effects otherwise a message must be sent. I would rather have Alualu start and Buggs and Wormley rotate than watch a guy play like that. And to be quite honest Heyward was only slightly better. Dude if you are going to talk about what the team needs to do in the media, you better not be tip toeing around piles.That is an obscene amount of cap spaced used on what they got last night.
- Marcus Allen is not a linebacker. A dime back maybe. Now something is wrong with Gilbert and he can't play then he is out. Being kinda strong and a good tackler does not make a linebacker out of you. Allen has no feel or instincts. He cannot shed or sift through the trash. he plays the position like a DB using some speed to move around guys and make tackles 4 yards down field. There were plenty and I mean plenty of situations in the second half where if you didn't like Gilbert for whatever reason you could have inserted Ola at OLB and put Watt in the middle. They did that plenty early in the year.
- Every thing is still too difficult. Yes on paper the run game was far better last night. But I would bet that 9/10 of those yards came on front recognition situations where you just kinda catch them daring you to run. They still could not run when it counted. Where did that show up. down seven they get 8 and a half on first with a pass. Then they proceed to try to pass on second it gets tipped third down they get stuffed and its a punt. 2nd and two is an opportunity not an adventure. This happened also when they were in the redzone. First down they try play action to Claypool. They do the obligatory nothing run and its third and blitz. Again on the last TD the was saved by the PI at the goaline. Third and one/ two and they try some half assed stretch to the right and lose 3. They cannot just bang it up.
- Bengals last TD and 4 minute drives were incomprehensibly coached and executed they have third string Quarterback without his most dangerous receiving threat. You can bring the safety down. You can play press/man with your DB's.The drive started with a run where Heyward has inside leverage and watches the back run past him. Then on the one where the QB fit it in and got sandwiched he inexcusably misses an easy sack. Watt gets drawn off on hard count by a ****** rook. But the coup de grace was the best. Fitzpatrick is 12 yards off the line. Yes Highsmith got sucked in by the fake, but Fitzpatrick watches them pile up does not honor the QB keep and lightly jogs toward him. If I'm Tomlin, I make him stand at Film and ask him what the **** he was doing and thinking on that play. Then with the 5 minutes left with a very good chance still. They again put up weak fronts when they know they will run and give up a first Down including a 3rd and 1 where they HAD to stack the line like it was goaline and they got bum tap QB sneaked with three guys in tight easily wedged.
Considering the opposition offense, you could not coach and execute the defense in the second half much worse if you tried. They play to not give up the big play. That's a joke.

All good points Sask, just wanted to point out an observation on your offensive comments. All the issues appears to be on Ben. The fumble, the pick, hanging JuJu out on the underneath. I haven’t seen Ben play as bad as he has, even when he’s thrown 4 picks in a game. His INT was unexplainable, you are right, brain dead play there. Also the JuJu play, he had Washington sprinting wide open behind JuJu.The up back already bailed to JuJu before the pass. Had he threw it Washington it was probably a TD. The snap fumble, possibly DeCastro fast pull interrupted Ben’s snap/turn execution. IDK, but he was deep in his own territory. QB has to be situationally aware in that instance.

Second half he was somewhat better, because of Snell’s hard efforts. But it’s obvious he doesn’t have time like he has used to. He also doesn’t step into his passes like he used to. So it’s has to be his knees or he isn’t practicing enough.

The only problem with the D I see is the amount of snaps they are seeing, their health at ILB, plus you have a rookie OLB learning on the fly.

Sent from my iPad using Steeler Nation mobile app

All good points Sask, just wanted to point out an observation on your offensive comments. All the issues appears to be on Ben. The fumble, the pick, hanging JuJu out on the underneath. I haven’t seen Ben play as bad as he has, even when he’s thrown 4 picks in a game. His INT was unexplainable, you are right, brain dead play there. Also the JuJu play, he had Washington sprinting wide open behind JuJu.The up back already bailed to JuJu before the pass. Had he threw it Washington it was probably a TD. The snap fumble, possibly DeCastro fast pull interrupted Ben’s snap/turn execution. IDK, but he was deep in his own territory. QB has to be situationally aware in that instance.

Second half he was somewhat better, because of Snell’s hard efforts. But it’s obvious he doesn’t have time like he has used to. He also doesn’t step into his passes like he used to. So it’s has to be his knees or he isn’t practicing enough.

The only problem with the D I see is the amount of snaps they are seeing, their health at ILB, plus you have a rookie OLB learning on the fly.

With all do respect, once you have no semblance of a real run game you are kinda ******. Passing looks super awesome and easy when it is going well, but when you remove the run game from it you can defensively game against it very easy. Ben's game is based upon blitz me I will hurt you and play action. Play action doesn't work if you cannot run. See the play where Ebron was hurt. That should have been a 25 yard shot with someone 3 yards open. But they dropped coverage and had bodies all over the place. No one reacted to the fake. And if they won't blitz when they can simply play coverage and strategically time it. You are kinda ****** too.
Now it is very true about their linebacker situation. But that really doesn't absolve them for the fronts they put out and A big safety at linebacker. Just like the Bengals did, you can kinda scheme when the opponent can only do one thing, in this case run.

Reactions: GMC
What disturbed me was threefold
A.) Turnovers in one direction yet again... earlier in the season the offense struggling early was alleviated by the Defense and special teams giving them short fields, instead its the opposite

B.) Every week since the second Ravens game the offense has been completely shadowed in coverage
This happened late last year too... maybe its every wr all hitting a wall simultaneously and not getting seperation, but as a guy who thinks the offensive structure is a problem I suspect its the route trees are completely telegraphed by something on the field... the second interception for certain the guy in the zone utterly ignored the guy running past him and focused on the other route behind him... i don't think it was ben staring him down... i think we either have a tendency issue or something else is fundamentally wrong...

defenses get coverages totally right a percentage of the time, but last night all the early reads were blanketed and they seemed to know how the play would break based on the pre snap formation they were showing... they were baiting the whole time....

C.) when munch got here, out oline was horrendous at passblocking and meh on runblocking... we were pretty consistently over 4.2 ypc under him... under sarret our YPC has dipped under 4 and while the sack numbers are wonderful... that is almost exclusively because ben just fires the ball out asap... they get abused and penetrated alot right now... we aren’t winning **** with a dead on arrival line that is technically unsound.. no leverage... no push... just doing the bear minimum

Keeping it simple, the problem has been Ben. Three and outs that fail to give the defense a break, mistakes/turnovers that give the opponent short fields where even a waver wire legend like Finlay can score. Your best defense is a good offense and Ben hasn't been sustaining drives. Maybe there's something wrong with him, if so sit him for a game or two. As we've seen over the past few weeks, if Ben performs poorly it drags down the whole team.

A.) Turnovers in one direction yet again... earlier in the season the offense struggling early was alleviated by the Defense and special teams giving them short fields, instead its the opposite

B.) Every week since the second Ravens game the offense has been completely shadowed in coverage
This happened late last year too... maybe its every wr all hitting a wall simultaneously and not getting seperation, but as a guy who thinks the offensive structure is a problem I suspect its the route trees are completely telegraphed by something on the field... the second interception for certain the guy in the zone utterly ignored the guy running past him and focused on the other route behind him... i don't think it was ben staring him down... i think we either have a tendency issue or something else is fundamentally wrong...

defenses get coverages totally right a percentage of the time, but last night all the early reads were blanketed and they seemed to know how the play would break based on the pre snap formation they were showing... they were baiting the whole time....

C.) when munch got here, out oline was horrendous at passblocking and meh on runblocking... we were pretty consistently over 4.2 ypc under him... under sarret our YPC has dipped under 4 and while the sack numbers are wonderful... that is almost exclusively because ben just fires the ball out asap... they get abused and penetrated alot right now... we aren’t winning **** with a dead on arrival line that is technically unsound.. no leverage... no push... just doing the bear minimum

The receiving corps does not match the lack of a run game. They don't have short area receivers like Ward or Welker who will move chains. They have shot guys where if you are willing to zone up it gets pretty tough. They did well in the first half when you couldn't really tell the Steelers didn't have a run game. At the point around the Titans/ Ravens wins when they were passing in short yardage, it became apparent, but Tomlin dismissed it. At that point he needed to get ol' Sweet Feet in the film room and say "Explain how we fix this". .

I am so sick of hearing this excuse for the defense.. everytime they get gashed by running teams, "they're so tired." That's bullshit, how about they make a play and get the ball back then they can go sit down. They haven't gotten a single turnover in over a month.. this is an average defense at best. They've played two trash QBs with backup running backs in 2 of the 3 losses and couldn't come up with a big play in any of them. That's inexcusable for a defense that is suppose to be good. I won't even get into the defense scheme that Butler and Tomlin throw out there week after week.

A. Can be in my humble opinion directly attributed to lack of playmaking linebackers aside from Watt. Highsmith is gong to be good but is a year away from making a real impact. Bush might not have put up huge numbers but his speed killed. Vince was our interior run stuffer. Take those away and even with great coaching we are going to struggle. Then you lose a surprisingly good backup like Spillane and we have been truly ******. I think the defense has played well considering.

We are failing at many levels, not just Ben although he is definitely a part of it. In-game coaching/adjustments, scheming for your opponent, and overall player execution are all problems. Normally when one aspect isn't good there is another to pick up the slack but we are seeing a complete breakdown of every aspect of football at the moment.

To me, it looks like ever since we've had to play musical chairs with olinemen, Ben has been skittish as hell which is not something we're used to seeing from him. He evidently lacks the mobility to extend the play anymore which is what he made a HOF career doing. When we were winning earlier this season, the pass blocking looked like the best in the league giving Ben 5+ seconds to run through progressions consistently. Now that the line is **** again, he's looking to rush things and deciding where he's going with the ball before the snap instead of going through progressions, which is why you see him throwing into triple coverage with other WRs running free.

A lot of that is he doesn't have the time to progress to the 2nd target let alone the 3rd or 4th without someone in his face within 2-3 seconds. Our O seemed to manage the **** oline play in the past because Ben would extend the play by scrambling. He just doesn't do that anymore so a much less mobile Ben + horrible blocking + head scratching play calling/scheming = the **** show that has been the last few games

Keeping it simple, the problem has been Ben. Three and outs that fail to give the defense a break, mistakes/turnovers that give the opponent short fields where even a waver wire legend like Finlay can score. Your best defense is a good offense and Ben hasn't been sustaining drives. Maybe there's something wrong with him, if so sit him for a game or two. As we've seen over the past few weeks, if Ben performs poorly it drags down the whole team.

I heard Hotels.com has dropped Captain Obvious and going with a Captain Oversimplified. You might want to audition that part. There is one type of QB that might be able to change the direction of this team. That is a running QB with a great arm. There is ample opportunity for a QB to run, but Ben cannot. by all means lets sit Ben Next week and play Mason and watch them blitz the living **** out of him.

I heard Hotels.com has dropped Captain Obvious and going with a Captain Oversimplified. You might want to audition that part. There is one type of QB that might be able to change the direction of this team. That is a running QB with a great arm. There is ample opportunity for a QB to run, but Ben cannot. by all means lets sit Ben Next week and play Mason and watch them blitz the living **** out of him.

Rivers, Brady can't run and are doing just fine. Enough with the running QB nonsense.

Rivers, Brady can't run and are doing just fine. Enough with the running QB nonsense.

Rivers and Brady have run games. They do not have to run. I'm saying with the current configuration of no run game and one possession receiver with the highest drops in the league both Rivers and Brady would get roasted. The only thing that would make a difference is a Mahomes/ Wilson/ Jackson type player.

Both of these team's OLs are 10x better than Steelers. You'll see that on Sunday.

The fact that Butler continued to trot out their 2 DL formation in the 4th quarter when everyone with more than 2 brain cells KNEW they were going to RUN the ball goes to show how out of touch this staff is with reality or adjustments.

Rivers and Brady have run games. They do not have to run. I'm saying with the current configuration of no run game and one possession receiver with the highest drops in the league both Rivers and Brady would get roasted. The only thing that would make a difference is a Mahomes/ Wilson/ Jackson type player.

Or perhaps old Ben who used to extend plays with his legs?

If you haven't noticed Wilson has struggled lately after a hot start (similar to Ben but not as dramatic of a fall). Mahomes has even looked human against some inferior competition but is also the best QB in the league so of course he would be an improvement. Jackson is a run first QB which IMO will not win you a championship.

I agree if Ben was even a little mobile anymore things would be different. The problem is the playcalling or scheme hasn't changed to compensate for "new Ben" and the decline in oline play. It's Ben making his own adjustments with predetermined throws so he doesn't get killed rather than actually getting creative with playcalling/scheme. Also doesn't help when you lead the league in dropped passes.

A mobile QB only covers up our scheming shortcomings because they can extend plays when **** regularly breaks down. It didn't become blatantly obvious until 1. The oline started ******** the bed and 2. Ben stopped extending plays. The current game plan and playbook are not designed to compensate for either of those points.

There is a reason Brady and Rivers and Brees are still performing as pocket passers...their offenses are designed for that type of QB. So instead of trying to fit a square peg in a round hole, why not make some adjustments to fit the personnel? Why do we have to get rid of a HOF QB for Lamar ******* Jackson just to have any offensive success?

I am so sick of hearing this excuse for the defense.. everytime they get gashed by running teams, "they're so tired." That's bullshit, how about they make a play and get the ball back then they can go sit down. They haven't gotten a single turnover in over a month.. this is an average defense at best. They've played two trash QBs with backup running backs in 2 of the 3 losses and couldn't come up with a big play in any of them. That's inexcusable for a defense that is suppose to be good. I won't even get into the defense scheme that Butler and Tomlin throw out there week after week.

I don't disagree with anything here. What I don't understand is you arguing with me when I say the players have responsibility for this as well (including the QB). The coaching sucks. But the play is sucking, too. You are saying the same thing here.

I don't disagree with anything here. What I don't understand is you arguing with me when I say the players have responsibility for this as well (including the QB). The coaching sucks. But the play is sucking, too. You are saying the same thing here.

I agree. I guess in certain situations it is coaching not putting players in the right position to make plays but when they are in the right scheme, it's up to the players then. Its a combination of both.

And I do not disagree with you Diver for sure. Players need to be accountable. But all of them. Not just 7 trying to make it work with no run game. I'm more interested in holding Tuitt to task for whatever the **** he is doing. Plays like Minkah on the last TD. Guys talking and doing dumb **** on social media.

Tampa does not have a run game. They are 29th in the league, averaging 5 yards more a game than the Steelers.

They’ve been leading the league in sacks and pressures all year, were leading in TO until last week after Thanksgiving.

Look at TOP differential in the last 2 games 10 minutes and 5 minutes. You lose TOP on offense by that much you are gassing your defense, and you know it.

Single turnover in a month? I count 2 against BUF 12/13, 2 against BAL 12/3, that’s not counting the 4 picks a month ago today. That’s getting the ball for your offense.

Their rush defense was fantastic until Alula went out, less than 70 yds/game. It went up to the 80-90 range until he came back. Other than Edwards, there was no other 100 yard rusher since the Raven game. Bernard came close, but he didn’t kill us, the QB keepers did. Which occurred because of inexperience from a rookie. Doesn’t change the outcome, but he will learn from it.

Scheme? What ILB are you using with Williamson? When Gilbert went out (again) there were none. Allen was all they had, unless Ola, Elliott and just activated Scales....all OLB.

Not excusing those 3rd down plays from the Defense, those got to be made. But be real, the offense in the first half was atrocious, Ben especially, and the D was out there way too long and in had cause and effect in the 4th.

Offense has been ***, but the defense wasn't tired when they gave up those first two tds, if you're an elite D playing this sad sack of an offense you hold them to FGs

Sent from my SM-A515U using Steeler Nation mobile app

Reactions: GMC